[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hyperloop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: 1453157325006.jpg (147 KB, 1020x610) Image search: [Google]
1453157325006.jpg
147 KB, 1020x610
What does /n/ think of this?
>Los Angeles to San Francisco in just 30 minutes
>>
File: 1453156606381.jpg (355 KB, 940x494) Image search: [Google]
1453156606381.jpg
355 KB, 940x494
>>
Wouldn't building conventional high-speed rail be more feasible?
>>
>>915427
Apparently not for americans
>>
I look forward to spectacular accidents
>>
>>915403
>a literal pipedream by someone with no background in the transit sector
The "entrepreneurs can do no wrong" mentality in the US is sickening.
>>
>>915403
This concept is so old, the patents have expired...

https://telemachusunedited.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/beach_pneumatic_plan.jpg
>>
>>915403
>The only way to get from Bos-Wash to the west coast is by going all the way down to Texas

No matter what you think of the concept that map in particular is shitty
>>
>>915538

I like how they keep Spokane-Boise and Orlando-Miami in quarantine.
>>
>>915507
I dunno, he got a rocket company literally off the ground and made electric cars attractive and useable.
The guy is actually very versed in transportation.
I don't think hyperpoop is feasible more than a small engineering exercise in the middle of nowhere, but it would be cool if we did have it.
>>
>>915403
It's a literal pipe dream. And what bothers me most is that Musk knowingly flat out lied about the cost.
>>
>>915403
It's an absolutely terrible idea for mass transportation (expensive, low passenger capacity), and all of it's advantages for the upper class are exceeded by private planes.

It might be useful in extremely niche circumstances.
>>
I thought we agrees Musk was trying to derail HSR, because his subsidies for green transportation probably come from the same pool of money used for other green transportation projects.
>>
>>915403
miami and boise get fucked
>>
washington DC to Seattle
>DC
>NYC
>Pittsburgh
>Cincinnati
>Indianapolis
>Nashville
>St. Louis
>Kansas City
>Oklahoma City
>Dallas
>Austin
>Phoenix
>Las Vegas
>Sacramento
>Portland
>Seattle

I like the concept but this map is seriously retarded, at least connect salt lake city with boise and SFC and connect boise to portland so that there's a way to travel along the north side of the country
>>
lol autists don't even include omaha and des moines in their midwest hsr plans, def would never happen for either of us
>>
>>915403
> Concord, CA
Why the fuck would such an irrelevant place be on there?
>>
>>916719

the same reason amtrack stops there? its unfeasable t' build rails across the bay?
>>
>>915403
Seems stupid to waste it in America when americans will shun it and carry on using their car.
>>
Stupid question:
Why is it called a hyperloop? For the longest time I thought it needed to be in a giant circle, not a perfectly straight line.
>>
>>916810
That doesn't answer the question at all since a) Concord isn't the main Amtrak stop in the East Bay to begin with and b) that map still has a San Francisco station.
>>
>>915427
I think the key is to build it cheaper then hsr. I heard that California hsr project will cost $56 million per km. Sounds possible to outbid this.
>>
>>916964
According to Wikipedia, Phase 1 of the project connecting SF to LA is estimated to cost $68.4 billion laying down about 840km of (double?) track. That's about $81 million per km.
>>
What's going to happen when a section breaks and a tube of people is fired into the Pacific like a giant cannon?
>>
>>917079

They'll be from LA, so nobody will miss them.
>>
>>915507
>The "entrepreneurs can do no wrong" mentality in the US is sickening.

Its what got them to the top of the world.
>>
File: FUTURAMA.jpg (81 KB, 760x500) Image search: [Google]
FUTURAMA.jpg
81 KB, 760x500
>>917079
This on a larger scale.
>>
>>917079
Anon, the inside of the tube has a lower pressure than the atmosphere. Shit's going to get sucked in, not blown out.
>>
>>917097
What happens if there's a break at the other end and the vehicle is fired out of the back (again, into the Pacific)?
>>
>>916964
>>917077
And the vast majority of that cost is buying up land, not the trains and tracks are expensive.
>>
>>917113
They should just build it secretly, at night and paint the underside to look like the sky.
>>
>>915403
What's the capacity? How many people per hour can this shift? Those carriages look like they'll only hold a small number of people, but that's not the whole story. What's the separation between services?

If it only moves a small number of people, the economics will be painful. They've not finished building the test track. They *don't know* how much the land would actually cost, or the cost of dealing with any legal challenges. They don't know how much California will actually cooperate with them.

Economics look dodgy, there are lots of engineering unknowns, and nobody's really started on the political and legal side. (Though I suppose you could say that the adverts posted here are part of the start of that.) Compare with HSR which has the economics, engineering, political and legal sides already dealt with...
>>
>>915507
Please stop posting and never visit 4chan again.
>>
>>916549
Source?
>>
Ultimately the Hyperloop is a good idea, of course the capacity of the individual carriages or extra carriages will have to be implemented so that the project has a chance to pay itself off and be efficient and accessible.

For me some of the main advantages of the Hyperloop is that it wouldn't have the massively long and inconvenient times that it takes to get into the airport and onto a plane.

It won't be taxed into oblivion with crazy regulation, catching a plane somewhere contributes a lot of C02 to the atmosphere and eventually most of the western world is going to have a carbon tax which will increase the cost of carbon intensive ventures.

If the Hyperloop functions as a normal train would in terms of the user experience then I expect people to use it for commuting at high speed. This could have quite interesting consequences for the real estate market.

Whether or not something like the Hyperloop ends up being completely profitable sometimes the best thing for people aren't, just like single payer healthcare and education. If this ends up being something that could work and be implemented successfully I expect people to start petitions and getting hyped about it, eventually due to populist politicians it's going to be built somewhere.

Or maybe they end up building one in China or India? High density countries where people want to travel a lot and fast.
>>
File: ams-usa-population-mine.png (2 MB, 1982x1423) Image search: [Google]
ams-usa-population-mine.png
2 MB, 1982x1423
Never going to happen.

HSR much more realistic
>>
>>917182
> They *don't know* how much the land would actually cost, or the cost of dealing with any legal challenges

Seems they need less space then hsr. So land should be cheaper. Legal challenges should be the same. Maybe less since these vacuum tubes should produce less noise.
>>
>>915497
>today a hyperloop train car derailed in between Pheonix and Las Vegas. Most passengers only suffered cuts and bruises but were all killed by explosive decompression when the train car's hull was breached
>>
>>917329
>Today a minor software glitch brought to a halt all hyperloop pods between LA and San Francisco. Passengers were left stranded for 48 hours in the sealed tube as engineers struggled to reset the system.
>>
>>917346
>today an Acela crashed into a stranded tanker truck and demolished an entire city block killing thousands.
>>
>>917431
>HSR
>grade crossings
lel
>>
>>917447
I know, it's retarded. I don't know how anyone can call acela hsr with a strait face knowing what lies on its route.
>>
>>917188
> For me some of the main advantages of the Hyperloop is that it wouldn't have the massively long and inconvenient times that it takes to get into the airport and onto a plane.
There's no reason to believe security wouldn't be tight.

The entire idea is built on a bald-faced lie that Musk told everyone about it being cheaper. He literally ignored all development and land acquisition costs.
>>
>>917447
The best part is when the NorthEast Corridor says "Fuck you" and stops at a station in a fuckin' street median at Ashland, Virginia
>>
>>917568
>bald
*bold

>>917571
Ridiculous
>>
>>917682
>Ridiculous
Yes. But also badass af.

>Choo Choo Motherfucker
>>
>>917706
Only if it was an F40PH would I agree with your post.
>furfags beware
>>
>>917682
You really had to nitpick that instead of addressing any part of the point?
>>
>>917682
> *bold
Nope.

http://grammarist.com/usage/bald-faced-boldface/
>>
>>917852
I didn't have anything to add and I don't dispute the post I agree with it.
>>917854
And I'm wrong but I will accept that. Legit thank you for teaching me, yes teaching me. On 4chan of all places, who knew?
>>
>>917879
I found this
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bold-faced

So can you use these interchangeably? I hate the English language.
Bald-face is from around 1943
While
Bold-face is from around 1530
I'm wondering if I should fuck off to /lit/
>>
Hyperloop?
more like HyperPoop
>>
>>915427
My understanding of the team currently involved with building a text track, who are not affiliated with Tesla, SpaceX or Elon are basically building hsr but in a tube which could have an amount of air pumped out allowing for higher top speeds due to less air resistance.

It's not exactly what Musk proposed with the whole air hockey table type of thing for the 'cars' which I think would be neat, as I've been involved with moving heavy equipment across warehouse floors using compressed air similar to how hovercrafts work. There's a lot of prep and the ground has to be smooth, but it feels like there is no friction when you push stuff around. Would be interesting to see if it could be applied to some form of train or subway system.
>>
>>915403
nice
>>
>>915403
>Spokane-Boise
>>
I figure that hyperloop is meant more for Mars than for Earth. It's just Musk is hoping someone will figure out how to do it cost effectively so he can use their technology instead of trying to come up with it on his own.

Maglev is too expensive and there aren't any fossil fuels on Mars for traditional trains.
>>
File: geordi-la-forge.png (316 KB, 575x440) Image search: [Google]
geordi-la-forge.png
316 KB, 575x440
>>920685
>there aren't any fossil fuels on Mars

You don't know that. There is a chance life existed or still might exist under the surface. NASA has seen evidence water once flowed on its surface.

Too bad Venus went full auschwitz.
That's really earth's twin.

Space is so fucking cool. Wish I could go there.
>>
>>920685
>any fossil fuels on Mars for traditional trains

Trains can run on electricity you know.

Traditional rail should work even better on Mars, since there's barely any atmosphere and half the gravity. You'd probably easily get maglev like speeds.
>>
>>920734
>Trains can run on electricity you know.

Excluding pre-nuclear shutdown Japan, if a country derives most of its energy from coal/natural gas, what do you think is powering the overhead lines that the trains draw power from?
>>
>>920748
And what would power the Hyperloop? Elon's musky farts?
>>
>>920749
Not that anon but
Nuclear is a possibility.

> not wanting to drag your dick a mile through broken glass just to hear his fart over a walkie talkie.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.