[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a city with a good tram system? I've notice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: niky_e_14.jpg (113 KB, 1178x319) Image search: [Google]
niky_e_14.jpg
113 KB, 1178x319
What's a city with a good tram system? I've notice that tram systems are really just a nightmare to access because they are placed within the middle of the road.

What's tram system that doesn't have people running across the road to access the tram?
>>
>>914964
Are you suggesting a tram would be better placed on the side of the road? You do know that buses or trams on the side have WAY lower commercial speeds than if they run in the middle?
>>
>>914964
>What's a city with a good tram system?
Pretty much every larger city in central Europe.
Many of them solved the access problem by converting the tram into a Stadtbahn though.
>>
File: full retard.jpg (203 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
full retard.jpg
203 KB, 1252x1252
>>914964
>What's tram system that doesn't have people running across the road to access the tram?
>Is there a city where people don't have to run across the road to cross the road?
>I'm OP I'm fucktarded
>>
>>915182
Many tram systems. have designated stops with shelters, raised platforms and ticket vending machines. Those usually also include traffic lights where people can safely cross over to and from the station without running in front of a car, or at least decent pedestrian crossings.
>>
File: National_Rail_logo.svg.png (24 KB, 1280x822) Image search: [Google]
National_Rail_logo.svg.png
24 KB, 1280x822
>>914964
>What's tram system that doesn't have people running across the road to access the tram?
That, my friend, is known as a train.
>>
>>914964
That's called a subway
>>
>>915188
>Many tram systems. have designated stops with shelters, raised platforms and ticket vending machines. Those usually also include traffic lights where people can safely cross over to and from the station without running in front of a car, or at least decent pedestrian crossings.
>people can safely cross
>cross
So you're running across the road, like OP said. Nowhere did OP say "running across the road without pedestrian crossings".

Please, do show me a tramway system with a stop in the middle of the road and no pedestrian crossing to access it.
>>
File: 1435091744704.jpg (304 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1435091744704.jpg
304 KB, 800x600
>>914964
European roads are rarely wide enough to cause this kind of problem.
>>
File: Portland.jpg (529 KB, 1423x785) Image search: [Google]
Portland.jpg
529 KB, 1423x785
Does Light Rail count?

This is Parkrose/Sumner Transit Center on the TrimMet MAX Red Line in Portland, OR.

It's in the middle of a highway, accessed by a pedestrian bridge with no pedestrian crossing.

The only thing you have to cross that is potentially dangerous is an LRT track.
>>
>>915369
>The only thing you have to cross that is potentially dangerous is an LRT track.

Because sure, they couldn't have just made the bridge go to the *middle*, where the platform is, right?
>>
>>915414
ITT: Retarded people that can't look left and right at a traffic light, be it a road, tram or LRT crossing.
>>
>>915176
>many

I'd say majority of the surviving first generation systems have made only moderate uppgrades to their infrastructure.

Then there is the whole class of Eastern European systems that were developed differently under communism. Lines built to industrial complexes that are no longer there and only surface track as traffic jams were non-existent. All the big city tramways tend to have good right of way even in the center. Infrastructure on the other hand didn't evelve much: there are classis motor power operated switches, flange running diamonds, round (instead of paraboloid) curve geometries, street level boarding and similar stuff even the most conservative wester systems got away with.
>>
>>915349
>Please, do show me a tramway system with a stop in the middle of the road and no pedestrian crossing to access it.

Most of the tram stops in Melbourne outside of the city stop in the middle of the road and pedestrians have to cross the road to get to them.
>>
>>914964
no
>>
File: Nagasaki_st.jpg (298 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Nagasaki_st.jpg
298 KB, 1024x768
>>915444
>Most of the tram stops in Melbourne outside of the city stop in the middle of the road and pedestrians have to cross the road to get to them.

seems this is the only place where they do this shit
>>
>>919776
Enjoy making that wheelchair-accessible.

A tram stop in the middle of picrelated road (it can be seen in the background) is currently only reachable on stairs from a tunnel.
Because that is not accessible, it will get a signalled crossing across the road, as an elevator or ramps would be too expensive or space-consuming.
Multiple groups are mad about it.
>>
>>915444
I think you missed the point. It's completely illogical to suggest any tram system where you DON'T have to "run across the road" like OP said, because to get to a tram you generally have to cross a road, unless you have a pedestrian bridge like
>>919776
Only usually any tram stop in the middle of the road has a properly indicated pedestrian crossing, you know those white stripes on the road that mark where pedestrians are meant to cross. It would be pointless to have a tram stop without these or a ped. bridge, because you couldn't fucking get to the tram without jaywalking.

The whole point of the conversation was to point out how utterly retarded it is to ask for a
>tram system that doesn't have people running across the road to access the tram?
because the whole point of a tram is that it runs mostly on street level, and likely won't have pedestrian bridges at every stop.
see
>>915182
and
>>915297
>>
Oh wow I really love this whole
>crossing a tram track is way more dangerous than crossing a road
meme. In my city there's loads of retarded NIMBYs who spout the same shit. Didn't know one could walk across a 4 lane road without looking at a traffic light, dunno why you ought to be able to cross a tram without looking at the fucking light first.
>if you cross a road without looking and get run over, you're dumb
>if you run across a LRT without looking and get run over HURR DURR TRAM IS SO DANGEROUS DURRRRRRR
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.