[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who's your favorite professional cyclist of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 24
File: eddytwerckx_logo2.jpg (215 KB, 750x1080) Image search: [Google]
eddytwerckx_logo2.jpg
215 KB, 750x1080
who's your favorite professional cyclist of all time?
>>
Daily reminder that /n/ is for transportation and all bicycle racing discussion should be taken to >>>/sp/.
>>
>>913264
you and I both know bike racing discussion will be much more productive here than on the shithole that is /sp/
>>
>>913254
Lance Armstrong, bad boy of Cycling, roided more than Brock Lesnar, got away with it, admitted to it, tweeted pics of jerseys

Fuck Yea, America
>>
>>913264
Daily reminder that train threads belong on >>>/trv/ and the civil war is coming.

>>913254
Based Cadel Evans is GOAT in the history of everything.
>>
>>913254

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Christophe

Skip to the Tourmalet incident, heart-breaking.
>>
>>913266
The race thread for GTs last year were comfy as heck. Vuelta moreso than Tour because it was smaller.

>>913270
If you're going to go for an aussie why not Oppy?
>>
>>913264
Bugger off if you don't like it.
>>
Marco Pantani
>>
>>913264
have your brain foamed up or something? Seek medical attention.
>>
File: tour-of-flanders-8.jpg (2 MB, 2464x1632) Image search: [Google]
tour-of-flanders-8.jpg
2 MB, 2464x1632
>>913254
Fabian Cancellara, hands down
>>
>>913267
I still like Lance, honestly. I know he was roided the fuck out all the time but he was still fun to watch. He was an animal on that bike and I still use him for inspiration during tougher rides.

However, I now enjoy Peter Sagan as well. He just seems like he enjoys cycling so much more than it just being a sport to him.
>>
>>913267
>>913370

Fabian and Lance best cyclers ever in more ways than one
>>
>>913398
>implying

Fabu and Lance were both incredibly gifted from an early age, and were no more or less geared up than their competitors senpai
>>
File: 20150617_141425.jpg (993 KB, 800x1422) Image search: [Google]
20150617_141425.jpg
993 KB, 800x1422
>>913379
>>913398
>>913411
As many people as Lance fucked over, he still managed to spread the sport, WAY b4 I got into it. Raised a shit ton of money for kids with cancer. Built Trek (buried lemond I think)

I am a fan of his AFTER he came out as a doper on Oprah.

Got into cycling 2 years ago, lost 130lbs (/n/o joke)

Used to lift, now Fuck lifting, love traveling pic related
>>
>>913331
Il Pirata!
Too lazy to dig up all the gud Pantini pics Ive got in my pic folder or google the correct Italian for "the pirate".
>>
File: 1400368347098.jpg (54 KB, 500x612) Image search: [Google]
1400368347098.jpg
54 KB, 500x612
>>913423
no wait, here's one
>>
File: glf-eyeshades-85.jpg (126 KB, 820x346) Image search: [Google]
glf-eyeshades-85.jpg
126 KB, 820x346
are you guys even
>>
All time - Ruben Alcantara
Road - Cipo
MTB - Myles Rockwell
>>
File: s600_629715498_1213401216.jpg (42 KB, 410x288) Image search: [Google]
s600_629715498_1213401216.jpg
42 KB, 410x288
fuzzy hall, I wished I could have his backyard when I was growing up.
>>
>>913254
Pauline Ferrand Prevot

Road, Cyclocross and MTB World Titles

Hot as hell
>>
File: stripess.jpg (320 KB, 502x800) Image search: [Google]
stripess.jpg
320 KB, 502x800
Sam Hill. Consummate proof that flat pedals win medals.

>>913464
>Implying a woman has ever won an overall UCI title in the modern era
>Implying XC is mountain biking
Kindly gtfo
>>
Sagan. He has shown me the beauties of the cosmos and also sick wheelies.
>>
>>913464
>standard so low one person can win the worlds in three disciplines in one year

yeah, nah
>>
File: outrightwinning.png (2 MB, 1178x1330) Image search: [Google]
outrightwinning.png
2 MB, 1178x1330
>>913477

As if pedal type matters in an event that you don't have to pedal in to win.
>>
File: 5xwch.jpg (4 MB, 4014x2676) Image search: [Google]
5xwch.jpg
4 MB, 4014x2676
>>913678
>Judged competition

I don't see an clipped-in riders winning 5 World Championships.
>>
>>913712

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Nakano

And, once again. Who gives a shit if you don't even need to pedal to win.

Also, autistic cycling is more athletic than downshill, they at least have to pedal. You should like them, they use flat pedals too. And it's been an established UCI sport for much longer than downshill.
>>
File: BHJIHxk.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
BHJIHxk.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>913715
If you think downhill mtb is easy just because you dont have to pedal, you're a goddamn idiot. Riding down a blue trail at a downhill park for 5 minutes can be as tiring as a 30 minutes climb.
>>
>>913716

It's not that I think it's easy.
It's just that flatpedalfag keeps pointing out what sort of pedals he prefers in a sport that you don't need to pedal in.

> hey what engine size is best for skydiving?
>>
File: nr.jpg (476 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
nr.jpg
476 KB, 1600x1200
>>913715
>8 of 10 World Championship wins before the release of the first commercially successful clip-in pedal
Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume that at least 8 of those victories were not clipped-in.

>Also, autistic cycling is more athletic than downshill,
Have you got any peak power figures we can compare? I'll give you one to start with
Nathan Rennie: 2 kW, flat pedals
>>
File: nakano.jpg (206 KB, 895x1190) Image search: [Google]
nakano.jpg
206 KB, 895x1190
You're referring to clip-less pedals as clip-in pedals. They are different. Track sprinters have traditionally used clips and straps, many do to this day, and nearly all of them use straps still...this is in addition to the modern clip-less pedals. The "clips" refer to the metal on the front of the pedal that attach to the strap above the foot and the pedal below it. Nakano never used Clip-less pedals in his professional career, Straps and clips as the professional Keirin racers of Japan still do to this day. To my knowledge, a professional track sprint race has never been won on flatpedals. Let alone a world championship.

Peak Power without rider weight is a meaningless measurement. Peak power to weight (w/kg) is a bit better. But none of it matters if it isn't even needed in the discipline, e.g., if I'm a competitive sun bather and can produce more instant w/kg than Nathan Rennie(I can, but I'm not) does that make sunbathing a more athletic sport than downhill?
>>
File: 1439195755892.jpg (43 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1439195755892.jpg
43 KB, 480x480
>>913718

Savage
>>
>>913428
>mfw I hunted down some eyeshades after I saw this pic and they're every bit as kickass as they look
>>
>>913800
>>913772

Did you notice Nakano agrees with you?
>>
File: housewinschamps.jpg (63 KB, 600x389) Image search: [Google]
housewinschamps.jpg
63 KB, 600x389
My favorite is Kristian House. Honestly only because I've met him and had a chat for a bit. He won the British National Championship in 2009 I think and he live in the same city as me.
>>
File: 20070805_Brit_Champs_072[1].jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
20070805_Brit_Champs_072[1].jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
>>913818
>not Dan Lloyd

pleb.
>>
>>913821
Matt is the best GCN

Also the only national champ of the lot.
>>
>>913254
That looks like an arse
>>
>>913772
>Using an undefined unit symbol in combination with SI unit symbols
Please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
>>913825

damn, son, you are a sharp one
>>
>>913718
>The only purpose of pedals is to transmit power from the rider to the drivetrain
Come on m8e, I know you're smarter than that.

>>913772
I actively object to the orthodox nomenclature for pedal types. The terms I use are as follows:
>Flat pedals
Pedals with no positive foot retention
>clip-in pedals
Pedals which positively retain the rider's foot by means of a mechanism operated solely by the rider's foot
>strap pedals
Pedals which positively retain the rider's foot by means of a fabric strap or similar device which must be tightened by hand to work effectively.

My innovative nomenclature is advantageous over the orthodox nomenclature as it is much more transparent as to which type of pedal is referred to by each individual term. I encourage everyone reading this post to adopt these terms to the exclusion of misleading and obsolescent ones (e.g.: 'clipless') forthwith.

The above being understood, the initial point on Nakano's pedals stands.

>does that make sunbathing a more athletic sport than downhill?
No, you mongoloid. Competitive sunbathing neither produces the stimulus to develop high power outputs nor does it reward those capable of such feats to any degree.

As regards power/weight figures, this was the best I could do. Please forgive my poor spreadsheet skills.

>>913822
Dan is the best narrator of the three by far. Matt sounds like he's talking under his breath all the time and Si sound like he's squeezing the words out of a sneer.
>>
>>914334
Shut up. Last is Best.
>>
>>914334

Certainly, pedals are used as contact points for control as well. Fixed gear freestyle, cycleball, flatland bmx, and artistic cycling all make good use of flatpedals too. It's not just downhill.

You can't expect the entire planet to use a special cypher for communicating with solely you, especially as you are communicating anonymously. Seriously, How do we know what words you're going to redefine next? And how do we know it's you? What if it's another Anon who hasn't been imbued with a lexicon bending authority? Perhaps you could trip as MasterRuseMan? TheTricksyBanterman?

People win Downshill races with no chain, correct? In what way is that rewarding people capable of high power output? Certainly there are people who race downhill who are capable of producing power, but as long as there are people finishing anywhere even close to a podium chainless you've hardly got a point.

I've spent most my time sitting on the couch over the past 3 months. You could call me a professional chiller, it's judged competition, much like the Red Bull Rampage, except I move around less due to being positioned on a flat surface and having no wheels under me. Here's my personal power/weight figures pulled off of Strava. I use w/kg because my weight varies.

PS: Nakano still never raced on flat pedals, not even in your language. 10 consecutive world titles. There may have been a more dominant artistic cyclist that could tip the scales back toward flatpedals, I wouldn't know though.
>>
File: p5pb9973984.jpg (661 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
p5pb9973984.jpg
661 KB, 1600x1066
>>914369
>It's not just downhill.
I never claimed that it was.

>How do we know what words you're going to redefine next?
I didn't re-define anything. Try posing that question to Look and Shimano. The terms I use align more closely with the commonly understood meanings of the words than the terms that are commonly used with the cycling industry do. I've explicitly defined the terms as I use and advocate their use, so feel free to propagate them to all you converse with.

>People win Downshill races with no chain, correct?
It has happened. Just as riders sometimes win road races without significant team support. Of course I don't argue that team tactics are irrelevant in road racing simply because they are not universally the sole determining factor in the result.

>as long as there are people finishing anywhere even close to a podium chainless you've hardly got a point.
I never commented on the usefulness or otherwise of a chain, so I'm not sure what point it is you think you've defeated.

>I use w/kg because my weight varies
Do you record the variation on Strava? Impressive numbers, you clearly didn't get there by chance, just as downhill riders don't.

>Nakano still never raced on flat pedals
I never claimed that he did.
>>
>>914376

>Do you record the variation on Strava?

Yes, I record it as averaged weekly and strava automatically does the calculations in line with my weight at the time of data collection.

>you clearly didn't get there by chance, just as downhill riders don't.

It is mostly chance, actually. Well, luck/chance/genetics in addition to gym work to put on mass and developing your natural abilities. To play the game you've got to start at square one. The main factor of peak power production in the untrained populace is density of type II a or b muscle types. If you're born with high type I muscle fibre density, you're never going to produce high peak power numbers (you'll possibly have potential as a distance athlete). My power numbers look like the ones you've posted when I don't do any sprint specific training. Those could be numbers from someone with medium to medium/high type II density and trained or someone with High density and untrained. Certainly if he doesn't do specific training in the gym or on the bike for sprinting, he has the potential to develop into a track sprinter if he wanted to, but why bother if he's already successful in downhill.... being a track sprinter isn't really all that glorious.
>>
>>913825
Look at this perceptive fello
>>
>>914334
>My innovative nomenclature is advantageous over the orthodox nomenclature as it is much > more transparent as to which type of pedal is > referred to by each individual term. I encourage everyone reading this post to adopt these terms to the exclusion of misleading and obsolescent ones (e.g.: 'clipless') forthwith.

I will concede your point that "clipless" is a less than ideal term, for example the French call them automatic pedals which is much more transparent.

However, "clipless" is the term that has been adopted throughout the Anglosphere and has been in common use for about 30 YEARS.

Also the debate about clipless vs flat is pretty closed, both have their advantages and disadvantages, horses for courses.

By constantly raising a fuss about your "innovative nomenclature" and shitposting about flatpedals your making yourself look really pretentious and dumb.
>>
File: 504044Cipollini4.jpg (86 KB, 620x426) Image search: [Google]
504044Cipollini4.jpg
86 KB, 620x426
>>
>>914593
>has been in common use for about 30 YEARS.
Leaded petrol was in common use for a long time too.

>By constantly raising a fuss about your "innovative nomenclature"
That was the first time I ever explicitly laid it out.

>Also the debate about clipless vs flat is pretty closed, both have their advantages and disadvantages, horses for courses.
I never said anything different.
>>
>>914334
Fuck you dude.
Matt is the best
I'm not Matt Stephens btw.
>>
>>913254
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.