[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best bike for Michigan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: dscn1210.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
dscn1210.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
So I'm homeless! I have about 260$ to spend on a bike that will last me until I can get a job, work for a couple weeks, and get un-homeless.

I live in michigan. It's snowing. Fuck. I'm 5'9" not very tall for a guy, so I probably am gonna go with a girl bike.

What does /n/ suggest for something that can carry my 270lb ass to and from work every day?

Oh and what are some general bike upkeep tips? What tools am I gonna need? Should I get insurance on it?
>>
>>911727

rude. Anyone not 11 years old wanna give some input?
>>
>short
>on a budget
>fat
>snowing

90's rigid MTB is once again the right answer. Post your local CL on the bike buy general ( >>>/n/bbg ) and someone will probably find you a nice one.

The rest of your questions can be answered at the bike questions general: >>>/n/bqg
>>
Hope you make it
>>
Good luck m8, I remember some board (/diy/ or /adv/ maybe?) once had a very interesting homelessness thread. I remember the advice of trying to clean yourself up if you're working, and try to have some weapons for protection. Hammers and knives work well. If you have Internet then look up some self-defense against unarmed and lightly armed attackers. Also consider garbage bags taped together for a dry case to sleep in, or cut some holes in one and it's a poncho.
>>
I don't know how religious you are, but checking out your local church can help you a lot.

Don't be a deadbeat and take handouts. Ask for work no matter how small. They will see this and be more helpful for you.

Also, go to college campuses. A lot of bikes get left every year and they security there has to cut the lock and donate them.
>>
That will be some tough going in the winter
I hope you find a safe place to stay

You may be able to trade some labor for a bike at a bicycle co-op, like:

http://thehubofdetroit.org/

http://redplanetbicycles.tumblr.com/
>>
>>911738
What he said, older rigid MTB, stay away from walmart bikes, they will break in a week for you
>>
>>911724
> homeless
> buying insurance for a bike
Wat
>>
You have $260. Why don't you find a pave that has 1/2 rent for the first month and get yourself an apartment? Plenty of osvaldo do it and I'm sure you could find a place for ~500/month
>>
5'9" is about an inch below the height of the average american male and three inches above the height of the average american woman. considering serious female cyclists often go with male bikes (negating the need for sizes on the upper end of the women's range), there's no reason for you to get a women's bike. you'd just need a medium or small frame or like a 54/55.
>>
>>911724
Well you could buy a bolt cutter a tenth of that price.

Or alternatively you could be a decent human being and just find some shanty mansion with 30 druggie roommates for $75 a month until you get back on your feet.

If you aren't on smack it really isn't that hard to find shelter in the age of Craigslist.
Hell, I have my own private room for $150 a month and it's actually a fairly nice place. It's sort of an office kind of situation, but there's a kitchen and a shower and wifi and all that neat stuff.

There's no excuse to be homeless other than a crippling drug addiction taking away all your expenses. Or kids. Or you just don't understand frugal living in the first place.

If I thought I were gonna be homeless for a long time, though, I'd buy a one way ticket to Hawaii. Sure you'll get treated like haole scum, but homeless people are stigmatized everywhere. And it's worth it to save your fingers and toes.
>>
You should probably stop being a lazy duck or just hurry up and kill yourself before you start to waste my tax dollars
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.