[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a 5'6" Sophomore college student, looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 941f_1_b.jpg (16 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
941f_1_b.jpg
16 KB, 360x360
I'm a 5'6" Sophomore college student, looking to buy a beginner bicycle just to get around campus to and from classes. My campus is generally flat and there is never snow on the ground.

What should I buy? I've never ridden a bike before in my life by the way, so I'd need to learn it.
>>
>>>/n/bbg/
>>>/n/bqg/
>>
File: 81A6xWIO1LL._SL1500_.jpg (95 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81A6xWIO1LL._SL1500_.jpg
95 KB, 1500x1500
>5'6
>never ridden a bike
>needs to learn

This should fit you just fine, OP
>>
I know it's usually a meme here but I'm serious, 90s rigid mountain bike
>>
>>910747

This, no joke. Inexpensive, good/comfortable geometry, durable, versatile, easier to handle, and sexy.
>>
>>910750
Former rigid 90s MTB slickster here, can confirm
When you got gud you can get a cross bike with disc and fenders and a rack for all purpose fast transport. Just don't get memed into a ''''touring''' bike with ''''relaxed'''' geometry and cantis and barcons, you are not Fred Birchmore and your college town is not the fucking Sahara desert.
>>
>>910727
Fucking manlet cuck
>>
Size 52-53 bike.
>>
>>910754
There is nothing wrong with a touring bike. They're not slower than CX bikes, and they're not that much more relaxed. The big plus with touring bikes is long chainstays for pannier clearance. As long as you don't pay out the nose for a Surly, or a piece of shit with barcons, a touring frame is slightly more ideal for commuting than a CX.
>>
>>910780
what's wrong with barcons you fag ?
>>
>>910800
Overhyped by retrogrouches. Their only advantage is they can run friction mode, and some can't, they're actually more fragile than STIs, despite being simpler due to their location and construction. Retrogrouches don't seem to understand the current crop of barcons are mostly made for aerobars.
>>
>>910747

90s rigid MTB with slicks is always a serious recommendation.

Of course kids always want a skinny fixie, but whatcha gonna do.
>>
>>910804
>seriously posting a meme made by AF
>>
>>910809

>le everything is a meme meme

It's a good recommendation, that's why it's posted a lot. AF was one of the most knowledgeable posters we had, even though he was a complete asshole.
>>
>>910812

>AF is female.

Now THAT's a meme.
>>
File: really?.jpg (21 KB, 372x286) Image search: [Google]
really?.jpg
21 KB, 372x286
>>910812
>AF is female

yeah, that's what he told us, all right.
>>
>>910802
>Their only advantage is they can run friction mode

I'd say their main advantage is cross-compatibility. Hacking STI to make them compatible with MTB components and achieve low gears is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>910774
more like size 49-52
>>
>>910780
>They're not slower than CX bikes

Uuh m8. Beg 2 differ, over here.
>>
>>910780
Long chainstays also offer more stability
>>911400
Touring bikes are fast as fuck on the descent, low center of gravity means stability at speed
>>
>>911400
And you're retarded, what's your point? A touring bike would actually be faster than a CX bike because a CX bike would come with semi-knobbies, and a touring bike would come with semi-slicks.
>>
>>910780
OP will fuck anything up so fast dipshit. He crash the bike at least once. OP, DON'Tspend more than 100 bucks. Learn to ride first.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.