[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1. Your city 2. Number of funded rail projects 1. Miami 2. 0(Zero)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 21
File: miami-3[1].jpg (511 KB, 1260x685) Image search: [Google]
miami-3[1].jpg
511 KB, 1260x685
1. Your city
2. Number of funded rail projects

1. Miami
2. 0(Zero)
>>
>>910099
1. Toledo
2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;_;
>>
File: 8BillionLegit [549676].png (2 MB, 6261x6252) Image search: [Google]
8BillionLegit [549676].png
2 MB, 6261x6252
>>910099

Ehhhhhhhh, that pink one sorta technically. Everything else is working on getting funding.
>>
>>910107
1. Atlanta

2. Fat funding chance the state let's us do anything useful, or we get the stick up their ass northern taxphobic wealthy to allow it to get funded at all
>>
File: Website_FullMap_1920x1080_EN.jpg (874 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Website_FullMap_1920x1080_EN.jpg
874 KB, 1920x1080
>>910099
1. Ottawa
2. Only 1 but 2 more got approved by council
>pic related
Long term plan for the LRT and BRT network.
>>
>>910099
Bay Area

A few, not sure of the exact number.
- SMART
- Caltrain electrification
- BART Warm Springs/Berryessa extension
- eBART
>>
1. Denver
2. Six (with a bunch of other ones still waiting for funds)
>>
Kansas City

A shitty 2 mile streetcar line that will open soon. The referendum for a decent light rail system failed (ofc) but thankfully we have a non-republithug governor that actually cares about public transit so it may happen anyways, unless state congress has anything to do about it.
>>
1. Cincinnati
2. One, very reluctantly.
>>
File: Hurontario_LRT_Map_EN-850x550.jpg (183 KB, 850x550) Image search: [Google]
Hurontario_LRT_Map_EN-850x550.jpg
183 KB, 850x550
1. Mississauga.

2. One, the Hurontario LRT. Construction is expected to begin in 2018. It was originally planned to run 3 km further north into Brampton, but that portion was shot down by their city council because of road constraints in Downtown Brampton.

Some Additional Projects:
-The Mississauga Transitway (an east-west running BRT), which is partially open, and is expected to be completed by 2016/2017.

-Dundas BRT/LRT, though it is most likely going to be a BRT.

-GO RER on the Lakeshore Line, and all-day service on the Milton Line.
>>
1. Barcelona
2. We have a second main train station with its construction on hold because central government isn't putting any money into it.
We have a subway line with its construction on hold, because it was a ridiculously oversized project (would have been the longest subway line in Europe).
We have a streetcar line which could get funded, but NIMBYs got it put on hold also.

FUCK YEAH SPAIN
>>
Kuala Lumpur

>3 MRT lines (one is scheduled to finish next year)
>1 LRT line
>2 BRT line
>monorail extension project
>2 railway relief lines

Some of these project should've been done a decade ago
>>
>>910514
There's also planned high speed rail project between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore
>>
File: Second_Avenue_Subway_Map_vc.jpg (1 MB, 545x1174) Image search: [Google]
Second_Avenue_Subway_Map_vc.jpg
1 MB, 545x1174
1. New York
2. Like a bajillion
>>
>>911385
That entire area of the US would be better off if they expanded rail service to NJ and Eastern PA.

Manhattan is such a tiny island.
>>
>>910099
Toronto

>Finch West LRT
>Sheppard East LRT (if it can survive one more election cycle)
>Scarborough Subway Extension (just waiting on the cities third of the cash)
>>
>>911385
That plus Cuomo wants to expand Metro North service in the Bronx.
>>
>>911395
>What is NJ Transit and SEPTA?
>>
File: album_large_2303398.jpg (151 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
album_large_2303398.jpg
151 KB, 800x533
Amsterdam

-major railway station, 15 rails, 8 platforms
-streetcar, 15 lines
-MRT, 4 lines (5th under construction)
-LRT, 1 line

non rail projects,

-BRT, 32 lines
-ferries, 6 lines
>>
File: seinfeld.jpg-large.jpg (22 KB, 408x352) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld.jpg-large.jpg
22 KB, 408x352
1. Detroit
2. The people mover (underrated) and a 3mi streetcar line under construction just so the city and a few billionaires can say 'look what we did'
>>
>>911385
Okay, there's the big stuff like Second Av Subway and East Side Access...

What else is there...
Uh, the proposal for West Shore Light Rail on Staten Island?

Reactivation of the Rockaway Beach Branch?

De Blasio's proposal for a Utica Av subway?

>>911397
Which is just part of the plan to bring Metro-North to Penn Station.
>>
>>911827
I wish they would build it to 8 Mile, so suburbanites can transfer from the bus station at the Fairgrounds. A better rail system would definitely benefit Detroit.
>>
>>911835
This many proposals for one city, and my state's governor can barely pass one light rail line without calling it a "wasteful boondoggle".

NY has my utmost respect.
>>
>>911961
>This many proposals for one city, and my state's governor can barely pass one light rail line without calling it a "wasteful boondoggle"
Where do you live. Willing to bet that your state is prob spending billions on pants-on-head retarded shit like interstate interchanges, but of course those aren't considered "boondoggles" because muh rural voters.
>>
Paris Here

7 Major railway stations (+1 in project for the grand Paris) with truckload of tracks

a truckload of regional rail (transillien)

5 RER lines

16 subways lines (+3 in project)

8 Tramway lines (+2 in project)

aaand i think that's all
>>
1. Charlotte
2.a. Northeast extension of the Blue Line light rail
2.b. Second phase of the Gold Line street car

Proposed, but not funded, are plans for mass transit for southeast Charlotte, BRT or street car to the airport, commuter rail to towns to the north, the final two phases of the Gold Line, a new multi-modal station in downtown Charlotte, and high speed rail to Raleigh and Atlanta.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 600x338
>>911970
>Maryland

New Governor walks into office shitting on public transit, cancels one of two light rail projects, then goes crazy funding highway and road projects all over the state.

Ironically, after canceling the project for being expensive, he becomes a hardcore supporter of Maglev trains and tries to secure funding to build one.
>>
>>910479
>We have a subway line with its construction on hold
Which line is that? And which station is under construction?
>>
>>912124
Had a feeling it was Hogan you were talking about. Lets see where that civil rights lawsuit goes, I doubt anything will happen. In the meantime you can enjoy those new bus lines he announced. That will sure fix Baltimore's transit problems!
>>
>>911972
What's the best way to keep up with the progression of STIF/RATP projects?
>>
File: metro_linia_9.jpg (201 KB, 1000x529) Image search: [Google]
metro_linia_9.jpg
201 KB, 1000x529
>>912136
Metro line L9 (also L10 which is the same line but it branches off at either end) has a small bit working, and will have another bit working in a few weeks, both of these parts are on either end of the city, in the outskirts. The central part of the L9, which is the only part that makes any sense whatsoever (everything else is overkill and a waste of money, which spaniards love with a passion), is on hold indefinitely.

Also under construction is La Sagrera train station, which will be a second main station for regular and HS trains next to Sants, because a city of 1.5m somehow needs two main stations, and also because why make better use of the Estación de Francia terminus (which is mostly used to have regionals and one commuter line end there, with very few passenger actually using it) when you can spend gazillions on building a new station. Hennyway, construction is on hold indefinitely also because the central government isn't putting money into any rail construction that isn't idiotic HSR lines going from Madrid to fucking nowhere.
The construction of this station should include the covering of about 1 or 2km of rail which until now ran in a trench, covering it with a "lineal park", which any urbanist will tell you is a very bad idea. But hey, gotta waste money somehow, this country didn't go bankrupt by being thrifty.

Pic related is the aberration that is Metro line L9. The solid part on the right is already operating, the part on the left from about where both branches meet is almost finished, the upper branch will start working in a few weeks/months, the other won't be long either. The central part hasn't even had its tunnel bored all the way through.
>>
File: sagrera.jpg (119 KB, 646x411) Image search: [Google]
sagrera.jpg
119 KB, 646x411
>>912375
Here's a pic of La Sagrera station construction site. It's been like this for at least 10-15 years or so, before that there used to be a freight station there which was moved outside the city limits.
>>
>>912375
>that alignment
Good God, were the planners drunk hen they came up with that?
>>
>>912376
I recall reading about that project in a SNCF/RFF document a while ago. What's the point of the station again? Does it offer a better alignment for HS trains to get into the city?

Also I was reading the figures for the existing station and I was wondering: how does a central station only get about 8,000 patrons on a daily basis?
>>
>>912544
>Good God, were the planners drunk hen they came up with that?
My thoughts exactly. Some of the curves in the central section do make a little sense because that way it reaches different connections to other subway lines (I mean the curves around where there's a number 2). The curves on the outside sections were made for political reasons, so that with one subway line you could have many more stations in those areas. That's the result of trying to have a subway in areas where there's obviously no density nor demand to justify it. You could have expanded the tram system to cover those areas, getting the outskirts covered with a handful of tram lines, which would have meant many more and better connections and less cost of construction and operation, but as I said, Spaniards love wasting money and having delusions of grandure, so fuck trams, we want an oversized subways making twists and turns.

>>912546
There's no point. The HS line crosses the city through a tunnel, passing throught the current Sants main station, and eventually also this other station meaning that HS trains will have two stops in Barcelona... I have no words to express how retarded, absurd and delusional this is. The new station doesn't change the alignment or anything (it's just built along the HSR line), and it's even further away from the city center than Sants already is.
If planners had any tiny bit of sense they would have left Sants as an HSR cul-de-sac, and have trains to France go around the city using the standard-gauge bypass used by freight trains. That way, the rail tunnel through the city could be used for commuter and regional trains, which have two tunnels which are both at maximum capacity. I don't get why the fuck we need HS trains to cross the city just to stop at another station on the other side of town.
>>
>>912546
>Also I was reading the figures for the existing station and I was wondering: how does a central station only get about 8,000 patrons on a daily basis?
Which station is that, Sants? Then the figures must be wrong, maybe that's just for HSR, loads of commuters pass through Sants every day. If those figures are for Estación de Francia, it would make sense.
>>
>>912629
>but as I said, Spaniards love wasting money and having delusions of grandure, so fuck trams, we want an oversized subways making twists and turns.
Seems pretty unfair to pretend that they're the only one that love boondoggles. Large chunks of the ICE and TGV network exist because of political reasons too. The EU policy on HSR infrastructure seems to be "build it and then we'll scream at you for amassing debt".

>There's no point. The HS line crosses the city through a tunnel, passing throught the current Sants main station, and eventually also this other station meaning that HS trains will have two stops in Barcelona... I have no words to express how retarded, absurd and delusional this is. The new station doesn't change the alignment or anything (it's just built along the HSR line), and it's even further away from the city center than Sants already is.
Who came up with it and why was it green lit? Are they hoping the new station will act as a development node?

>If planners had any tiny bit of sense they would have left Sants as an HSR cul-de-sac, and have trains to France go around the city using the standard-gauge bypass used by freight trains. That way, the rail tunnel through the city could be used for commuter and regional trains, which have two tunnels which are both at maximum capacity. I don't get why the fuck we need HS trains to cross the city just to stop at another station on the other side of town.
Speaking of tunnels, were there ever any plans to upgrade the already extensive commuter rail network into an RER/regional metro system? Considering how dense the existing metro is I would think a regional express system would be beneficial for the city.
>>
File: Länsimetro-Västmetron.svg.png (353 KB, 2000x752) Image search: [Google]
Länsimetro-Västmetron.svg.png
353 KB, 2000x752
>>912544
Tell me about it.

Helsinki here. Our sole metro line is being extended west. Could be regarded as one or two projects, as there is the first phase and the second phase, the first phase should open in July.

Some major and minor tram projects few years away are marked as "funded" in the transit budget, but it's a sliding thing and nothing's sure until about a year before things actually start rolling.
>>
1. Birmingham

2. Rugby-Birmingham-Wolverhampton-Stafford line, Chiltern main line, and the Midland Metro which was a bit shit but they're extending into the city centre now. Also HS2 will be here in approximately a million years, yay I guess.
>>
Kazan
3: underground (mietro), trams, hi-speed ralway to Moscow
>>
>>912544
EU money
you can build that basically for free and nobody cares
>>
>>910472
ayy someone else from this shithole
>>
File: IMG_2077.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2077.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>910200
>Denver
Feels great man. I split my commute via rail and cycle. Going to hopefully pick up my new RTD card next week. They're testing out a new refillable fare card. Should be good.

Shame that Boulder line never happened....

Pic very related.
>>
>>912749
KC fag here.

Pretty jell man, that electrified commuter rail network looks GOAT as fuck. How is transit in the city proper though? I have heard a lot of non-rail fans bash the Silverliners RTD is planning on using though. They say the design looks too dated for them, oh well. I'm sure most people won't mind/care.
>>
>>912762
honestly I came from philly and sort of miss the silverliners, the RTD cars are sort of ugly I think. I'd love for them to adopt the silverliners.

Transit isn't bad, the trains normally run on-schedule. I honestly have no complaints about the RTD. I'm gonna try out the new bus line to boulder. It's no substitute for rail, but the buses hold 8 bikes!
>>
>>912762
>>912781
I haven't seen this yet, but apparently it's out there.....
>>
>>912781
>>912782
Man those LRV's could use some replacing, maybe some S70's? The transit in actual Denver proper outside of the CBD doesn't look so hot from the looks of it. Any plans on expanding the light rail within the actual city?

Also they're already using the Silverliner V's on the Western line I think.
>>
>>912786
Woops I'm a retard. Just did more research and found out the Silverliners are going to be used on the A,G,and N lines which are commuter rail lines hence the use of Silverliners. Those aren't operating yet and the W line is a light rail line, not a commuter rail line. My Bad.
>>
>>910472
>Throwing away free infrastructure

Brampton once again proving it's the shithole of the GTA and Southern Ontario.Metrolinx has already told Brampton to fuck off and will reinvest the saved money into other projects.

I know Toronto is in the market for it so the TTC can finish making all of its stations accessible. I think Waterloo and Ottawa are also eyeing it for there LRT projects.
>>
>>912793
At least people will realize what a shitty choice they made once they realize the benefits the Hurontario LRT brings mississauga
>>
>>912793
I love how the debate wasn't over whether or not to have the LRT too. They lost the cash because people wanted a different alignment, not because they didn't want an LRT line. It's such a terrible fuck up politically that I don't understand how the camp that 'won' the debate can feel proud about what they did.

I still don't understand why Bill Davis even participated over the debate either.

Oh well, more cash for elsewhere in the GTA.
>>
>>912796
I like how the argument was over there "historic downtown". there is literally nothing historic about, it, and you can look around tons of places in Europe with LRV's running through area's far more historic and old. It was all NIMBYism and nothing else. now if Brampton wants to build an LRT extension they are going to have to pay for it themselves.
>>
>>912806
Was that one of the main components of the debate? I thought the opponents were complaining that the Metrolinx alignment wouldn't have connected enough major nodes in the city.
>>
>>912807
The main ones were the Historic Downtown, Traffic along Main Street and it's alignment. The wanted it to go along Queen to Bramalea.
>>
File: Brampton.png (3 MB, 1920x968) Image search: [Google]
Brampton.png
3 MB, 1920x968
>>912809
Here's a map of the differences. In fact my alignment I created based off of what Council wanted may not even be right since Brampton Council in their wisdom axed the Main Street alignment without even having an alternative to propose. They expect Metrolinx to give them time to study a new one.
>>
>>912815
>>912809
Oh wow. So they call that small strip of older looking buildings in the center of Brampton a 'historic' district? lel

So now that the Brampton segment is shelved where is the LRT going to terminate? Just before the Hurontario-407 intersection?
>>
>>912818
LRT will now end at Hurontario and Steeles, where Shoppers World Mall is.
>>
1) Philadelphia
2) One, and it's not even in Philadelphia.

But the plans, oh the plans. Roosevelt Blvd, Henry Ave, and Woodland Ave could all have rail lines. Commuter rail to Reading, West Chester, and elsewhere. But no. We get a two station extension to a mall.
>>
>>912825
Look at how bombastic governor Cuomo was in New York today announcing new transit projects. You could never imagine Wolf, much less any Philadelphia politician getting this excited about transit any day, what a fucking travesty. What's left in this power vacuum are suburban developers proposing gold-plated limited-use lines to their newest sprawl project, sucking up what little planning efforts SEPTA has.
>>
File: PtDefprojectmap.gif (48 KB, 580x505) Image search: [Google]
PtDefprojectmap.gif
48 KB, 580x505
1) Seattle

2) East Link
University/Northgate/Lynnwood Link
South Link
First Hill Streetcar
I'm also going to count the Point Defiance Bypass for shits and giggles.
>>
>>912309
http://www.societedugrandparis.fr/projet

for the subway. the rest is on wikipedia (french version)
>>
Why stay poor and use public transit? Wouldn't you prefer to be successful and rely on yourself for transportation?

Genuinely curious.
>>
>>912876
Here's your reply.
>>
>>912876
stay mad cager
>>
>>912860
Merci. Est-ce qu'il y a une chaîne sur YT ou un autre site semblable où le STIF téléverse des vidéos qui montrent les progrès effectué sur les différents projets?
>>
Houston

3 light rail lines
1 intercity passenger rail
a ton of freight rail
>>
>>912876
Yes, that's why I ride a bike.
>>
1. Vancouver

2. Depends on the referendum results

Haha...aww.
>>
File: xc15web.jpg (415 KB, 1002x570) Image search: [Google]
xc15web.jpg
415 KB, 1002x570
>>912668
>Seems pretty unfair to pretend that they're the only one that love boondoggles. Large chunks of the ICE and TGV network exist because of political reasons too. The EU policy on HSR infrastructure seems to be "build it and then we'll scream at you for amassing debt".
I never said they're the only ones, but they are masters at it, after all Spain has one of the largest and most underused HSR networks in the world. It's bigger than France's or Japans, yet we're like the 15th or 16th country in Europe by train usage.

>Who came up with it and why was it green lit? Are they hoping the new station will act as a development node?
That's pretty much it, only the whole plan fell apart when the economic bubble burst. Supposedly they've altered the plans to make the station smaller and cheaper to build, but that's just the station building, since the whole rail layout will stay the same, two levels, one for conventional trains, one for HS trains. Oh, and the funniest thing about this station is that it has absolutely no subway connections toward the city center. It'll only be connected through the aforementioned L9 which passes through what you could call uptown, and another line which goes down toward the coastline and makes a huge detour toward the city center.
(cont'd)

Pic related is the mainline rail layout in Barcelona, the HSR line is light green.
>>
>>912668
>Speaking of tunnels, were there ever any plans to upgrade the already extensive commuter rail network into an RER/regional metro system? Considering how dense the existing metro is I would think a regional express system would be beneficial for the city.
There's not really any kind of project like that, then again if you look at the rail layout, it offers irregular coverage and has to carry regional and even some long distance trains, so it wouldn't really make much sense to turn it into some sort of regional Metro. There's two suburban systems which are independent (using different gauges and specs) which do work like that, and it's quite a disaster since they're very slow considering how long some of the lines are, and there's no real express services.
In 2004 there was a project for a general upgrade of the whole commuter rail system, not turing it into any kind of RER/reg. metro, but improving frequencies and rearranging lines for efficiency, however none of this has been carried out. Also that whole plan made little sense since it was conceived on the basis of having all regional trains disappear from the conventional line and use the HS line, which is completely unrealistic since it would require either changing the gauges on all regional lines (some with rather light traffic) or using gauge-changing trainsets which are expensive.

The main problem with our rail system in Barcelona is that there's no clear project for it, it's just one fix after the other, and in the end it's a patchwork of fixes with no clear idea of how it all should end up.
>>
>>913321
So why the hell is the Tunnel de Provença only used by HS trains anyway? While it's impressive the tunnel was built for mere 180 million Euros, it seems ridiculous that such a large piece of infrastructure would only be used by merely 18 trains a day. Would it have been impossible to make the tunnel with two gauges?

>>913322
>The main problem with our rail system in Barcelona is that there's no clear project for it, it's just one fix after the other, and in the end it's a patchwork of fixes with no clear idea of how it all should end up.
Why is it so bad in Spain though? Does a particular element of planning process make it vulnerable to political intervention?
>>
>>913377
>So why the hell is the Tunnel de Provença only used by HS trains anyway? While it's impressive the tunnel was built for mere 180 million Euros, it seems ridiculous that such a large piece of infrastructure would only be used by merely 18 trains a day. Would it have been impossible to make the tunnel with two gauges?
It probably would have been possible, but there's also the issue with different voltages of the electrification, which would require either the HS trains to be dual voltage while having the tunnel's electrification be the same as the conventional rail lines, or have commuter trains be dual-voltage and run the tunnel at HS voltage. Either way you'd have needed a lot of dual-voltage trainsets. One of the big issues with Spain's HSR is it's difficult interoperability with normal lines.

>Why is it so bad in Spain though? Does a particular element of planning process make it vulnerable to political intervention?
I think there's two things, on one hand it's easy for politicians to suck up to voters by promising ever bigger and better infrastructure, and there's a general mentality that Spain doesn't have the same level of infrastructure as other central european countries, and that it needs to improve it vastly to be at the level of other countries. Evidently neither is Spain's infrastructure so bad, nor does it need to have the same level of infrastructure than a country with much higher population density, more industrial activity and in general a more solid economy. So while it happens everywhere that people buy into political promises of infrastructure, there's also a shamelessness toward those huge wastes of money, with little or no consideration to wether a more economical solution could be reasonable. Just look at how Stuttgart reacted to the Stuttgart 21 project, or how Zurich rejected a subway proposal in the 1970's in favor of their trams.
>>
>>913420
>It probably would have been possible, but there's also the issue with different voltages of the electrification, which would require either the HS trains to be dual voltage while having the tunnel's electrification be the same as the conventional rail lines, or have commuter trains be dual-voltage and run the tunnel at HS voltage. Either way you'd have needed a lot of dual-voltage trainsets. One of the big issues with Spain's HSR is it's difficult interoperability with normal lines.
Ah makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Considering the long term plan for Adif revolves around gradually moving away from Iberian gauge and towards standard gauge are there any plans to rebuild comuttter lines to 'continental' standard?

> and there's a general mentality that Spain doesn't have the same level of infrastructure as other central european countries, and that it needs to improve it vastly to be at the level of other countries.
Is that so? I've heard of that sort of thing happening in the old Eastern Bloc countries that have become EU members but I didn't know it was a problem in Spain. Do you have any articles or videos demonstrating this sort of thing?

>with little or no consideration to wether a more economical solution could be reasonable
Which line to you seems like the most redundant? I have done some reading on the Madrid-Léon corridor and it seemed incredible to me that most of that corridor essentialy follows and existing electrified double tracked Iberian gauge main line and that got me wondering: did they ever evaluate simply upgrading the existing main line and maybe using some tilting trains on it?

>Just look at how Stuttgart reacted to the Stuttgart 21 project
Doesn't opposition to that project have more to do with funding disputes than actual concerns over how the project is being built?
>>
>>913505
>Is that so? I've heard of that sort of thing happening in the old Eastern Bloc countries that have become EU members but I didn't know it was a problem in Spain. Do you have any articles or videos demonstrating this sort of thing?

For this, you have to know Franco.

Whereas rest of the wester Europe saw economical growth and was investing heavily to infrastructure, Spain concentrated on maintaining the status quo and swollening up the public sector.

disclaimer: not a Spaniard
>>
>>913505
>are there any plans to rebuild comuttter lines to 'continental' standard?
No. And ADIF isn't moving away from iberian gauge, they're just pumping money into the already oversized HSR network. Commuter and regional lines will stay iberian gauge indefinitely, and considering the size of the rail network and the few connections to standard-gauge railways (France and that's it, Portugal is iberian) it would make no sense at all to change gauges on commuter and regional lines.

>Is that so? I've heard of that sort of thing happening in the old Eastern Bloc countries that have become EU members but I didn't know it was a problem in Spain. Do you have any articles or videos demonstrating this sort of thing?
Also >>913507
That's really a half truth. Evidently during Francos time infrastructure didn't get much investment, but it wasn't because of Franco, it was because there was no fucking money. Franco already started having the first highways built as soon as he could, through private companies that would then charge tolls. When Spain joined the EU money just poured in to upgrade infrastructure, and as of the 1990's Spains infrastructure was pretty much at par with other countries. Spain has more km of highway than any other country (that's in absolute numbers, consider that density is way below France or Germany), it has more km of HSR than anyone except China, it even has more airports than Germany, and in fact, only the conventional rail network is in bad shape, and that's precisely where no government has cared to invest because many people see it as something antiquated and useless.
>>
File: spain_rail_speed.jpg (197 KB, 866x622) Image search: [Google]
spain_rail_speed.jpg
197 KB, 866x622
>>913505
>Which line to you seems like the most redundant?
All of them, except the Madrid-Seville line, which was originally part of a project for a new rail access to Andalusia, and was then upgraded to HSR with only slight increase to cost, and the Madrid-Barcelona-french border line, and only because the air route was totally at capacity with planes every half hour at peak times. All others (Madrid-Valencia, Madrid-Leon-Galicia, Madrid-Basque Country) are complete overkill.
There's generally a lack of understanding about HSR. The point of HSR isn't traversing long stretches of nothingness to go from one city to another, since for that you can just have an airport on either end and fly over it. This is even more so if you have complicated terrain, of which Spain has plenty. HSR makes sense if you're going to have the occasional stop along the line, which is something that planes can't do. Look at France's, Japan's or Germoneys HSR, it passes through continually populated areas and has stops every now and then. The only significant stop between Barcelona and Madrid is Zaragoza, with less than a quarter of a million inhabitants.

>did they ever evaluate simply upgrading the existing main line and maybe using some tilting trains on it?
Evidently not. The point of Spain's HSR isn't using it, it's building it. It's just conceived to give work to construction companies, which are known to have given gazillions in illegal donations to the main political parties. It doesn't get any clearer than what you described, HSR lines next to electrified and even double tracked railway lines, which often allow up to 160km/h.
Pic related is a map showing top speeds on the conventional rail network, disproving that other popular myth according to which conventional lines are slow and bad and whatnot. Many main lines where upgraded to allow 160km/h back in the 1980's.
>>
>>913505
>Doesn't opposition to that project have more to do with funding disputes than actual concerns over how the project is being built?
That's my whole poiny. People in Stuttgart (or in Zurich back in the day) opposed so much spending on a rail project that wasn't a bare necessity. This is what lacks in Spain, you'll never hear people complain about a project being too expensive if it benefits their city or region. Things are only too expensive if they're for someone else.
>>
>>913545
I should have clarified my point more. What I meant to say is, aren't both opponents and proponents of the project both for the project and the actual argument centres around which level of government funds this?
>>
File: jnQnMU.jpg (56 KB, 960x576) Image search: [Google]
jnQnMU.jpg
56 KB, 960x576
>>910514
Seems like most of the construction project are on schedule (hell some lines are under testing now)

>pic related

Also, I heard that the Mayor of Kuala Lumpur wanted to have a tram line in CBD area.

I'm all for public transit, but I don't think tram would be suitable in Kuala Lumpur
>>
>>913568
Why would KL need tram anyway? Would it be better to build more MRT lines (or LRT lines)?
>>
>>913587
It's for short-distance travel around CBD areas (probably less than 5 km). It would be downright senseless to build a MRT (even LRT) line just to cater this short stretch.

Personally, I would rather if they build a monorail instead. We do have existing ability (and capacity) to build monorail, even exporting them to other countries. Besides, I don't think Malaysian drivers' aptitude would allow for tram to be successful
>>
Vacaville
Rio vista train line
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.