[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>no fun alowed: the pedal hey /n/, why arent you running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: pedal033531331.jpg (864 KB, 800x1069) Image search: [Google]
pedal033531331.jpg
864 KB, 800x1069
>no fun alowed: the pedal

hey /n/, why arent you running based flat pedals?
>>
>>909596
Did you fall over and make a fool of yourself again, anon?
>>
I once had flat pedals and I went out of my saddle on a rainy day. My foot slipped off the pedal while out of saddle and I crushed my balls. Had to go to the doctor. since they started swelling. One ball is removed and the other produces 1/2 of what it used to prudce
>>
SPDs make me feel more connected to my bike.
>>
>>909619
dont lie anon, you never had any balls to begin with.
>>
>mfw the OP doesn't have the best based KEYWIN CARBON/TI pedal
the best pedal that you've never heard of
>>
>>909619
use flats with pins then, it gives superb grip

>>909623
>>909627
I run wellgo mg1 for my mtb, its cool since you can pedal and goof around on the same bike
>>
>>909596
Because platform pedals don't allow you to do an all-out, out-of-the-saddle, nothing-held-back sprint without wasting half of that energy trying to keep your feet on the goddamned pedals so you don't wreck at >30mph and end up in the emergency room with broken bones, and also taking down a dozen other guys with you, who are also in the emergency room, because of you and your stupid decision to use platform pedals. That's why.

>>909705
>use flats with pins then, it gives superb grip
Compared to having your foot mechanically attached to the pedal, it's shit-tier.
Face it, you're just a filthy casual if you use platform pedals.
>>
>>909714
>Compared to having your foot mechanically attached to the pedal, it's shit-tier.

in road yes. in mtb its 50:50. spd for pedaling and foot clipped in air while flats are better in cornering since you can adjust your position better + safer when crashing, so its mroe like 70:30 argument for flats

>Face it, you're just a filthy casual if you use platform pedals.

nah, its just that I own only one mtb AM type hardtail + commuter so case is for flats
>>
i run flats on all my bikes because fuck clopping around in cleats like a faggot

i also like it when the light goes green and i wind up being a quarter mile ahead of cleatfags by the time they get clipped in and can put power down

cleats were nice when i was racing, i guess
>>
File: mahnigga1413215499586.jpg (22 KB, 456x343) Image search: [Google]
mahnigga1413215499586.jpg
22 KB, 456x343
>>909734
>i run flats on all my bikes because fuck clopping around in cleats like a faggot
>>
File: DSC_0549.jpg (2 MB, 2592x3872) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0549.jpg
2 MB, 2592x3872
I use flats on my trail bike sometimes if I'm planning on doing sweet jumps, but I use SPDs the rest of the time and 100% of the time on my XC bike. I disagree that flats are safer for crashing, it only makes a difference at low speed and even then it's not a big difference, for all other trail riding the kind of crashes you are going to have will be the same whether you are riding clipless or not, it's not like your are going to clip a tree, fly OTB down a rock garden, etc. and jump off the bike and run out of it. I've front cased a 20 foot double going extremely fast with clipless pedals (and crashed countless other times of course), your feet don't stay clipped in, it's really no different than crashing with flats.
>>
>>909737
>I disagree that flats are safer for crashing, it only makes a difference at low speed and even then it's not a big difference

Tell that to Gee Atherton, he crashed OTB on some run and you can clearly see he was trying to unclip, saw the video? Althouhg it isnt a big difference in most of the cases, that I agree
>>
Would you believe I went 3 years without owning a single pair of non-cleated shoes, despite working a job where I was on my feet all day?

I don't like riding without foot retention, period.
>>
>>909734
>Implying I clip out at traffic lights
>Implying I stop at traffic lights
>>
>>909734
What kind of fat bastard are you that you end up a 1/4 mile behind someone with granny pedals?
>>
>>909779
the people having trouble aren't fat, they just take a million years to clip in. it's extra hilarious at certain places where it's a cat 6 mass start and people are bumping each other trying to get clipped in.

>>909769
i saw a superpro like you get nailed by a semi once it was sweet
>>
being clipped in while riding in the city is bretty dumb. traffic and people are so unpredictable, it feels good to know that im ready to react and not worry about my goddamn feet.
>>
>>909786
You start peddling with the ball of your foot and then the clips kind of pop in.

I rock SPDs, if you ride more than a few days a year, it becomes second nature.

Le confused face
>>
>>909787
this.

i rode clips with straps/powergrips for years. discarded like a week into messlife. you stop and start hundreds of times a day, and sometimes have to instantly catch a window in traffic and instantly react to cars and peds, ice patches…

all my riding remains in the city. but if i did long recreational rides, touring, or racing i'd get some SPDs probably, of at least powergrips because poorfag.
>>
>>909787

I commute with SPDs no problem. Once you get used to them you clip/unclip without even thinking about it.
>>
>>909788
not all clipless pedals are the same.

mtb pedals like spd and time atac are really easy to get into compared to road racing pedals like spd-sl, look keo, time equipe/rxs. racing pedals are not designed for frequent entry and exit, and even experienced riders will sometimes have trouble. the tradeoff is that retention for powerful riders is much better. I used to use time equipe and rxs because of the low stack height and horizontal float.

rxs was sometimes a fucker because of high spring tension. to clip in, I had to pedal forward with the already-engaged foot, flip the unengaged pedal over, hook the front of the cleat in, then pedal back just a tiny bit and then stomp the fuck down. getting out was sometimes dicey, too. if I go back to clipless for any reason, I'll probably wind up using speedplay zeros, since time's latest pedals are disasters. but, I doubt that I will because even on long rides they offer no real advantage for me.
>>
>>909786
fuck off, niko
>>
>>909797
I choose the SPD for the purpose of no-clicking when I get to where I need be getting. I love them. All I use, even though you might have a watt or two extra with those ski bindings.

>>909795
My /n/igga They are flawless when adjusted correctly. Track stalling is fun with them also bc you can get out of them really easy
>>
>>909734
>because fuck clopping around in cleats like a faggot
>not using mtb cleats and shoes.
>>
>not toeclips and straps
Not for racing, but my personal choice for commuting and general riding around.
No expensive shoes and cleats, less maintainence, easy in/out, and you can still be secured to your pedal.
>>
>tfw awful at clipping into road pedals

I've taken to leaning on anything that's available just to avoid unclipping. (Not cars, mind you. That would just be rude)
>>
I'm new to cycling but I always have problems with positioning of my foot on the pedals, and sometimes even slipping off or missing my pedals.

I don't really feel like getting clipless just for a commuter hybrid though, what are the toe strap ones like?
>>
>>909887
Like clipless but less convenient.

If you're not sold on clipless keep in mind you can get pedals which are flat on one side and clip in on the other, also mtb shoes are fine for walking and stuff.

I'd recommend a double sided pedal though simply because it's much easier to clip in to.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.