[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>http://www.theguardian.com/lifeand style/2009/dec/15/cyc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
>http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

>Cyclists disobeying stop signal or wearing dark clothing at night rarely cited in collisions causing serious injury

so now that what we've known all along is proven, what do we do /n/?
>>
We avoid unnecessary risks by using reflective garments and following the traffic rules.
>>
literally never go outside
>>
File: tumblr_nz3gu5PUnS1tl183ro1_500.jpg (193 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz3gu5PUnS1tl183ro1_500.jpg
193 KB, 500x445
ride the trainer 24/7
>>
>>906933
This, plus just putting more cyclists on the roads. I've been riding in NYC for about 15 years, since the citibike program started in NYC I've noticed cagers are a fair amount more cautious. There are a few reasons for this:

1. More cyclists in general = more visibility
2. They are clunky ass bikes that women love, and cagers are more reluctant to murder a woman for some reason
3. The citibike riders are in general clueless, with terrible reflexes, terrible self-preservation instincts, zero situational awareness, and no regard for traffic flow or safety (this may have something to do with all the women on them). This puts all cagers on edge and they tend to give all cyclists more room
4. They built a bunch of protected bike lanes for the citibike people, which keeps the cages out of the way which encourages even more bikes
5. The citibike people are almost entirely located within the wealthier parts of the city, which means bridge and tunnel folk are forced to reconcile their provincial ideas of bikes = poor people, with the reality that bikes = for educated people who can afford the finest ambulance-chasing personal injury lawyers

Also, it's key that we're moving away from the ridiculous term "accident" and more accurately referring to these events as "crashes" and "collisions" and so on.

The next step will be prosecuting cagers more aggressively when they strike someone causing bike damage, injury, and, above all, death. Mandatory minimum sentences would be great, although unlikely ever to happen unless a celebrity's kid gets killed.
>>
>>906865
We kill the cager
>>
File: _5S3eP.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
_5S3eP.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>906949
>bikes = for educated people
>>
>>906949
I ride in the NYC everyday. wtf are you even talking about?
>>
>>907523
>south park
>>
>>907546
Obviously faaaar too lowbrow for a classy fellow such as yourself.
>>
>>906865
>what do we do
Keep on riding
>>
>>907629
I didn't say anything about education level, that was you. Perhaps you'd care to scrI'll up a couple posts.

I was merely commenting on your smug elitism, and how you love the smell of your own farts.
>>
>>906933
>>906949
good points here. also think we as cyclists could do with less of the gotta go fast attitude. at least for commuters there is no need to try and match the speed of cars.
>>
File: gotta-go-slow.jpg (101 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
gotta-go-slow.jpg
101 KB, 540x720
>>907898
fuck off netherlands, some people actually need to get to work. also you forgot to say "sanic"
>>
>>907923
Maybe if you people had more dedicated bike paths you could actually get somewhere without being funneled through cager obstructions like stop lights and stop signs.
>>
>>907918
then get up on time and leave with enough time to get to work. american here, so stfu.
>>
>>907954
>wake up 2 hours early so I can ensure I never accidentally exceed 9 mph or some sperg on /n/ who thinks "sanic" is a word might get triggered
Kill yourself
>>
>>907967
christ dude, not even the guy from the netherlands thread that one time and you keep memeing this hard...

10-20mph is a good commuter pace.
>>
File: YoDawg.jpg (21 KB, 619x386) Image search: [Google]
YoDawg.jpg
21 KB, 619x386
>>907975
>an actual theist
>>
>>907969
This is a christian imageboard, please refrain from using the lord's name in vain or else you will be met with a swift ban to hell from our christian moderators.
>>
>>907975
>>908054
goddamn faggots
>>
>>907975
>>908054
>>>/b/
>>
>>908051
Not him, but we're here.

Inshallah all will be believers soon :^)
>>
Stop signals don't apply to cyclists, there is literally no need to have rigid rules for people on bicycles because of enhanced situational awareness, shorter stopping distance and reduced possibility for injury. Note how these injuries only occur in encounters with cagers, never between cyclists. They are to blame.
>>
>>908363
>Stop signals don't apply to cyclists
They're the law for cyclists too, and even you admit that cars depend on them to avoid collisions.

And I doubt that even car-free roads could bear the absence of traffic signals or at least stop/yield signs. Two bikes entering the same intersection from perpendicular streets at 20mph are going to have a bad day unless one of them yields.
>>
>>908376
Stop signals are not to avoid collisions. They are to regulate traffic flow.
If you alternate the flows you get higher throughput than if it's open in all directions simultaniously, or so the theory goes.
>>
>>907898
Except the best way to avoid getting hit or run off the road by a cager is to travel the same speed as they are, or at least as fast as you can go, within reason
>>
>>908363
I treat all "stop" signals as "yield" signals unless I'm coming up to a busy or blind intersection
>>
>>908430
I ment to say traffic lights.
>>
>>908430
Stop signals override yield and stop signs, and thus they inherit their function - they prevent drivers on a collision course from flying into a junction unaware of each other. So they have both functions.

Cyclists flying past red lights into junctions disrupt traffic flow and also increase the chances of collision - moreso than cars doing the same since they're less visible and thus harder to anticipate. The fact that they take most of the risk of bodily injury on themselves doesn't excuse them.
>>
>>908443
I treat red lights as stop signs since all intersections are blind and busy where I live.

The funny thing is pedestrians also jaywalk like mad and sometimes I get yelled at by an old man jaywalking because I'm (safely) running a red light.

I have no idea why people like to single out cyclists for being scofflaws when literally everyone gleefully breaks traffic laws multiple times a day every day of their lives.
>>
>>908592
Signals are not supposed to enable people to not be aware of traffic. If running red lights was realy dangerous, that would show up in statistics.

In fact, the opposite is true. The reason more women than men bicyclists are killed in intersections is sometimes explained by the fact that male cyclists are more likely to run red lights when the coast is clear - thus getting through the intersection before it turns green and the madness begins.
>>
>>908627
this holy shit

I ran a red the other night, it's a three way intersection with a very light flow of traffic (basically none) from the perpendicular street. I passed 3 fucking meters BEHIND a pedestrian crossing the street and she lost her shit and started yelling at me I don't get it
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.