[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/drt/ - Daily Ride Thread - Winter's Wrath Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 97
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 640x480
I'm already tired of being cold all the time, and there's still a few more months of this shit.
>>
>>905829
It hasn't even snowed yet in Montreal fuck changed my tires for nothing
>>
>>905836
Same here, NYC

Also I somehow bumped my foot into my front fender at an intersection, coming to a humiliating halt on 12th avenue as the fender folded into itself

Amazingly it didn't break and I just bent it back into place, it's still a little crooked but I was trying to beat the rain (failed on that)
>>
File: 1326224520964.jpg (54 KB, 327x424) Image search: [Google]
1326224520964.jpg
54 KB, 327x424
>>906000
>>
>>905829
It's basically summer up here in chicago

I really want to get my jersey so i can wear bike shorts, but right now i've got some shorts with a special tip pocket so i'm good.

I just get rained on a lot. but it's all 50's so it's good.

Fixie on thin gator's tho, hasn't been a problem yet. I'm experienced as fuck on this bike tho.
>>
File: IMG_20151215_142159.jpg (1 MB, 2917x3046) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_142159.jpg
1 MB, 2917x3046
94°f today. I planned on a 60 km ride but I missed a turn, and the ride turned into 93 km. Ended up in a college town out in the middle of a million acres of sugar cane.
>>
>>906033
That's fucking great to hear. I am coming back down to the Chi from GB for winter break, and I wanna get some miles in on the tarck bike/not have to take the bus/el. Just need some new tires, as some cunt slashed mine last time I locked it up down there, still haven't replaced them.

You a northsidebro?
>>
5-6 inches on the ground and still snowing. But on the bright side I will only have to work 8 hours outside today. I love Denver.
>>
File: 20151215_074816.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20151215_074816.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>906035
You lucky bastard
>>
>>906035
Fug that sounds great. I can barely ride a few miles without my nose running like a faucet.
>>
>>906058
I warn you that i'm crazy and good with cold weather, and i generally have my tights just in case it gets colder

an naw. South loop/ little Italy representing right now
>>
File: bIMG_0072.jpg (924 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
bIMG_0072.jpg
924 KB, 1824x1368
The dirt roads were in worse shape than I was hoping for. My winter tires are not so good at absorbing bumps. Lots of frost on the trees from some freezing fog.
>>
>>906079
I'll give you 5-6 inches on the ground ;) ;) ;)
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-08-21h27m52s650.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-08-21h27m52s650.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
I fell pretty hard a couple weeks ago, commuting on my ebike. Studs up front cuz, icy and shit. But it was a nice dry day, and there's these fucking train rails imbedded in the road right on the turn I take almost every day.
Forget that metal and metal do not make good friction, and just gunned the throttle around the corner.
Fell pretty hard trying to keep the bike upright for a few seconds and almost entirely onto 1 knee.

Somehow the bike rode itself right off the road too, that was cool. Only broke the tiny knob on my potentiometer somehow. 90lb bike I've dropped a dozen times now. Nothing major broke yet but maybe a new stem would be a good idea. Good MTB parts be strong.

Had the knee pads on but missed the hard plastic part and hit the side of my knee still hurts a fair bit like 10 days later, but nothing permanent. Glad I had the armored gloves on because I ouch my hand bones bad every time I drop to the pavement otherwise.

Yeah. Winter bike commuting when it's icy sucks, but it's pretty interesting when it gets snowy. Gotta learn to love the winters, 'specially when its 7 months of the year.

Many ways to enjoy winter though, such as pic related.
>>
>>906132
beautiful
>>
>tfw toronto
>tfw no snow
awful feels, anyone else?
>>
>>906163
Nigga you should do front wheel drive ebike for all wheel drive in the winter
>>
File: 1416533631224.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1416533631224.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>906176
same for calgary. I had studs late october last year up till april. This year the studs went on mid november and swapped to summer slicks for a good 2 weeks. Back to studs now but roads are getting pretty dry. Colder temps predicted but no snow for the next 2 weeks. Brown christmas
>>
>>906177

I'm not convinced it works that well besides in straightish lines. Would fuck up natural countersteering I think especially when drifing in snow. Plus that unsprung weight on the front fork. Handling would be shit over bumps.

Also power slides nigga, pretty sure you can't do 'em at all with a front hub motor.

But yeah, I'm sure it'd work well in some situations... and would be fun to try.
>>
>>906181
You wot m8? It's snowing like a lot this moment.
>>
>>906208
Depends how big you want your motor. I have a 2.5kg 500W geared front motor barely feel anything. In fact I felt the the handling was twitchy before put it on and perfect after. Won't break any speed record, or break the fork for that matter but goes breddy gudd in the short stretch of deep gravel I tried a few times.
>>
>winter's wrath edition

Hello, today's ride was summer's wrath.

Went up to the climb some hills for the first time in a month. Average temp reported by my garmin, 38°C or 100°F for you burgers.

Never ever has a ride ruined me so badly.
>>
File: IMG_20151216_140254.jpg (2 MB, 2798x4139) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151216_140254.jpg
2 MB, 2798x4139
94°F today, but some nice clouds early on. I had a route in mind after looking at Google maps, but it fell apart when I took too early of a turn. Then I was just riding out in the sugar cane field listening to music, and I made another wrong turn.

When it was all sorted out, I could either ride 25 km down a major highway, or do 50 km on smaller roads. I chose the highway.

I end up in another college town, but a few days too late for the sexy party.
>>
File: hawk.jpg (97 KB, 495x442) Image search: [Google]
hawk.jpg
97 KB, 495x442
catering service., for birds.
,, Hummers all summer., now its quails,,, and a Hawk.
,cold chicken livers,, fingerfroze.
,,,maybe by summer, he can ride on my helmet!
>>
File: lunattic.jpg (2 MB, 2007x1505) Image search: [Google]
lunattic.jpg
2 MB, 2007x1505
>>
>>906216
Yeah, if you stay low powered it might work ok... but high powered is the way to go for an ebike. Just like rear wheel drive is more fun in a car, for power sliding... rear hub is mostly better. Mine peaks at 4.2kW, which would be hard to pull off on a front motor.
>>
File: IMG_20151217_121034.jpg (3 MB, 4752x2493) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151217_121034.jpg
3 MB, 4752x2493
62 km into a decent headwind. With all the wind it was a cool 90°f today.

Highway 9 is the ring road, once inside, everything sucks. There is a horribly bad intersection about 2 km from my house. I was thinking of changing my route just to avoid it. I didn't do that, and when I got there a 18 Wheeler stopped, and blocked all the traffic so I could cross.
>>
>>906419
You live in Thailand?
>>
>>906424
Yes, just north of Bangkok.
>>
Only an hour of riding today. It was -16 °C with a good crosswind making my hands and face cold. Had I stayed in the city instead of riding out in the open it would not have been too bad.
>>
21 miles today. Tailwind on the way, headwind on the way back, and it was brutal. 45 °F but I was still miserably cold. Layered pretty well too.

I fuckin hate winter.
>>
>>906645
>>cold at 45f

LOL m8. Toughen up and also get some better gear... I ride down to -45f with perfect comfort... even though half the knobs fell off my tire.
>>
>tfw vancouver
>rain like 200 days a year no snow ever

other than summer I hate it here
>>
>>906822
I'm Texas, my body doesn't understand how cold works lol. I do need to get better gear though. I just got a soft shell with proper venting and stuff, but I was still quite chilly.
>>
>>906495
Same temp today but less wind. I went out for an hour on my fat bike before going to see Star Wars. Spoiler: 9 FUCKING MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS before the trailers started.
>>
>>906853
Ahhhah yeah that makes sense for a Texas probably. 45f is shorts and T shirt weather here in Canada. I commute by ebike up to 55kph speeds every day through the winter down to -20C. Takes some good gear to stay warm considering I'm lazy that early in the day and don't pedal very hard so not much internal heat.
Recently built some wind guards for my hands out of 2L drink bottles.
>>
>>906848
don't bitch, until these last couple weeks it was sun sun sun here
>>
>tired of being indoors and only going to the gym
>decide I will go for a short ride to downtown and back, about 20 miles
>normally takes just over an hour
>take my cx bike because I know there will be snow, ice, and slush
>all is fine for an hour
>then my toes get a little colder and colder
>trip takes me 90 mins
overall a good ride but next time I will use my shoe covers despite it being 35F
>>
>First day of my 9 days of time off
>decide to celebrate with a ride
>head out, get about 12 miles from home
>a wild puddle appears
>slow down, there had been flooding recently so almost all puddles have a fine layer of silt on the bottom
>riding along at like 5 mph, one foot unclipped
>even at 5 mph, wheel shoots out from under me, may as well be riding on ice
>can't recover fall right in the puddle
>as I'm laying in the puddle, Asian family on the trail walks by and tells me to be careful, it's muddy
YOU DONT SAY
>pick my shit up, bike is fine but muddy as fuck
>go stand in a dry spot
>old Russian guy rides up on a shitty walmart mtb
>asks if I fell
>say yes
>he suddenly starts talking about his mountain bike
>mention I have one too
>asks if it's some super high end trek, talks about its specs, full carbon something or other, I could barely understand him
>say no, I'm not good enough for something like that, tell him I'm gonna head out
>he rides into the puddle and locks his brakes a couple times, shouts "yeah it's slippery, be careful friend" in his thick Russian accent

I tweaked my back in that little fall too. I guess I'm just gonna get drunk now.
>>
File: image.png (542 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
542 KB, 640x1136
>>906822
-45. Fucking liar. Acting all tough. Implying you have more than 1 day per year that cold taking into account the wind. Grow up.
>>
>>907454
Not that guy, but we have about 7~14 days of -40 up in Alta. in the average winter.
>>
Went for a ride today, but my mountain bike has pretty shitty rear brakes due to fender interference with brake cable between the v-brake arms. Although the Surly Troll frame has rear rim brake posts I don't think they really intended people to use them.

Relying on the front brake in icy conditions is not my idea of fun. I ordered a mechanical caliper for the rear. Now I just need to find a rear disc brake wheel.
>>
File: cultus tour.jpg (478 KB, 2378x1336) Image search: [Google]
cultus tour.jpg
478 KB, 2378x1336
I tried (and failed) riding a century yesterday, had 3 flats and ended up bailing on the goal and crashing at a friend's place 125km from my starting point

got some beautiful pix tho
>>
>>907231
>thinking riding slow will help you maintain traction
u stupid
>>
File: cultus2.jpg (537 KB, 2378x1336) Image search: [Google]
cultus2.jpg
537 KB, 2378x1336
>>907927
Cultus lake, Chilliwack, BC. It was my first stop, 35km in, and I already had a flat
>>
>>907940
Quick google says the daily max is between 0-5°C at the minute.

I'd say that's fuckin' cold, others might disagree.
>>
File: sophie ready.jpg (563 KB, 2378x1336) Image search: [Google]
sophie ready.jpg
563 KB, 2378x1336
>>907940
Other guy's right, 0-5c. Didn't feel cold to me at all, no scarf or nothing
just a microfiber running shirt, cotton shirt and my cannondale windbreaker, plus canvas pants and a cycling cap and I was pretty warm until the evening, but even then it was only my feet that really bothered me cause I wore shoes with holes all in them and there was mud and water getting kicked up on them : (

here's Sophie before i set off
>>
File: lake.jpg (439 KB, 2378x1336) Image search: [Google]
lake.jpg
439 KB, 2378x1336
>>907940
I run Michelin Dynamic classic tires btw. They're fantastic in terms of value & rolling resistance, but they're 2500km or so old these days and I think it's time to replace. Also they're 25c and I was rolling over a lot of rough terrain, rocks and salt kicked onto the highway shoulder by vehicles, and some gravel trail

Another of cultus
>>
File: flat2.jpg (603 KB, 2378x1336) Image search: [Google]
flat2.jpg
603 KB, 2378x1336
second flat, I was eating tuna salad sandwiches my mum made me while I rode, a little after this I had to stop for a train and the old woman in the truck parked next to me giggled at me because i was eating a tuna salad sandwich
>>
>>907968
Oh I patched all three. I brought one spare tube but I kinda thought why not just patch now instead of later. Plus the ones I am running roll nicer and weigh less than my spare.

The first 35km was really the funnest stretch, I had so much energy and I was just bounding along the road running parallel to the trans canada, then turned off and went through a little country town called Yarrow on winding roads, tiny bits of slow all along the ground beside the road, dead trees and lil climbs, looking at the mountains in the mist in the distance, and eventually reaching cultus (although I walked a few blocks to the beach because I ran out of front tire air just as I arrived)
A nice family offered to help, but I told them I was O.K, and set off to a local bike shop to get back up to 100 psi

ended up at this place in chilliwack. Great friendly guys there, check it out it just opened up if you're nearby guys
>>
File: Downtown yarrow.jpg (453 KB, 1200x496) Image search: [Google]
Downtown yarrow.jpg
453 KB, 1200x496
I didn't take this photo but it's downtown Yarrow on a similar looking day
>>907979
>>
File: low res eagles.jpg (186 KB, 751x1336) Image search: [Google]
low res eagles.jpg
186 KB, 751x1336
weed cookie got me paralyzed rn senpai

when I got to the bridge crossing to Agassiz i took a photo of these two super low res bald eagles

#romance
>>
>off work for christmas
>decide to go on a midday ride
>all is well, setting a good pace
>half way round, bottle cage and bottle falls off and nearly fucking jams by back tyre
>carry on
>turn corner into 25 kph headwind with driving rain
>road is potholed and rough as fuck
>screaming at the wind, rain, roadworkers and shit bottle cage manufacturers all the way home
>probably reported to the police for being a maniac on a bike

Bonus: my rear wheel has now been fucked out of alignment
>>
>>907911
id rather ride slow and fall than ride fast and fall. I fell a couple months ago going about 20 mph and now I have scars on my arm and shoulder.
>>
>>908055
yeah but if you understood physics you would know that you have a better chance of staying upright at speed. Those minor losses in traction are only an issue when you don't have enough momentum to balance you. Unless you try to steer in the middle of some muck, keeping a decent pace is safer
>>
>>908078
I'd rather take the risk of rolling through a puddle at a low speed and reduce the risk of injury than roll through at a high speed and leave my skin and blood on the pavement, or perhaps break a bone. Maybe you could write me some tips on how to live the rest of my life too?
>>
>>907784
Picked up a cheap wheel. Since I'm running two rear wheels, I'll just put the better one in the back. Might get enough snow tonight to finally quiet the tire studs.
>>
Finished my second ever century with a 30km/h average. On a new bike so my dick is a little numb but besides that it was a good ride
>>
>>908712
Did you mean 30kMPH?
>>
>>908720
nigga hwat
>>
>busy multi-lane commercial street
>car in front stops mid-lane
>wait behind it for a good time to pass
>car starts backing up
>tips my bike over on top of me and starts pushing
>stay standing and nudge it back a few times while regaining composure
>yell at the driver and he stops
>mount the bike and start passing
>HOW COULD I HAVE SEEN YOU?!
>YOU CAN SEE ME!
>YOU CAN SEE ME!
>YOU CAN SEE ME!
>I CAN SEE YOU!
>ride off

In retrospect, I should have kept an adequate distance behind an occupied, stopped car, and anticipated the possibility of it going in reverse.
>>
File: spacebicycles.jpg (94 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
spacebicycles.jpg
94 KB, 1920x816
>>908725
>>908720
ESCAPE VELOCITY BITCH
>>
>>908822
Was he trying to parallel park anon? Or was he pissed off you were tailgating
>>
>>908869
He probably was trying to parallel park, since there was an empty spot right behind him. But I only noticed that after the fact - at the time he looked like he was double-parked.
>>
Before getting fat bike
>I hope they plowed the MUP

After getting fat bike
>Damn, they plowed the MUP already

My butt has been cold the past few rides, so I took a pair of old fleece long underwear that I was going to throw out and cut the legs off, it worked quite well. The temperature was surprisingly constant the entire 2 hours I was out, -10 °C (which was probably more like -8 since my Garmin seems to register about 2 degrees lower than the actual temperature). A few days this week the temperature kept going up and down even over a relatively small area.
>>
In the -20 °C range so I did some bike tinkering today installing disc brake on the rear of my Troll. This required moving some tires around. A Mavic XM319 is one tight rim, and a TL Ready Ice Spiker Pro has a really tight bead. The combination of the two made getting the tire off the rim a god awful task. Then I punctured a tube and had to take one of the tires off again. I was tempting fate anyway using a 2.35" tube in a 2" tire.

The cheap wheel I bought had too much bearing pre-load so I had to adjust that. And the brake cable housing I bought a few months ago in anticipation of this upgrade turned out to be shifter housing. So I'll have to wait until next week to finish the job.

I'll probably put in a ride on the rollers tonight.
>>
I got a nice little Christmas road ride in today that helped me work off a little hangover (family came over to celebrate yesterday), it was chilly (32, windy, but dry and the roads are mostly clear) but 2 hours on a road bike in late December is a treat.
>>
File: 1431475025299.jpg (59 KB, 552x736) Image search: [Google]
1431475025299.jpg
59 KB, 552x736
>winter
>ring bell
>peds can't hear me
>grab my brakes
>SQUEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
>they jump out of my way
>>
File: Canadie.jpg (1 MB, 2408x1806) Image search: [Google]
Canadie.jpg
1 MB, 2408x1806
Merry Christmasall!
(HUG)
>>
>riding on shared trail
>crossing narrow bridge
>guy stops on other side and dismounts with kid in a trailer
>he's standing in the middle with a camera out
>call out "coming up on the right" since he's parked on my left
>we make eye contact as he steps directly into my path
>he turns to take more pictures
>I'm already trying to pass, as I thought we were on the same page
>skid as I avoid, fall off the trail, but don't go down
>he's very surprised, very apologetic, tells me he didn't hear me coming
>tell him I'm sorry, I tried to call my pass but guess I wasn't loud enough
>he apologizes again

I get it, and I should have been going slower, and I'm glad nothing bad happened, but I wish people had a little more situational awareness.
>>
>go out on ride with my one IRL friend who actually rides a bike
>cager yells at us going past as we ride two abreast (perfectly allowed to, get fucked)
>some asshole put tacks on the climb we were going up

IT'S A FUCKING SEPARATED BIKE LANE ON THE CLIMB

After I punctured we decided to turn back around, rest of the ride went nicely.
>>
>day after xmas
>10f degrees out
>4-5" of snow everywhere
>hey lets ride my bike to the gym
>5 miles, 30 minutes... uhhgg I am slow
>workout for an hour
>hey it feels like it warmed up
>16f now
>26 minutes back
>>
>>909340
a-are those some gingerbread cookies at top?
>>
I dressed too warm today, made worse when I decided to ride across snow covered grass circling around trees pretending I was in a forest. Very sweaty when I got home.

I've had a few cycling dreams lately. Last night I dreamed I found a fat biker buried in the snow. Then I managed to crash the dream when I phoned for help but couldn't figure out where I was.
>>
>>909394
Did you report the tacks?
>>
>>909502
I think other cyclists reported it to a passing policeman.

Had to wait for registration confirmation from the local cycling board before I could post anything, have just done so.
>>
File: squeeky.jpg (959 KB, 1895x1248) Image search: [Google]
squeeky.jpg
959 KB, 1895x1248
>>
File: Walkflow.jpg (1 MB, 2408x1806) Image search: [Google]
Walkflow.jpg
1 MB, 2408x1806
>>
>>909557
>>909559
Go smoke your pot, filthy hippy
>>
File: crustice.jpg (1 MB, 1988x1348) Image search: [Google]
crustice.jpg
1 MB, 1988x1348
>>909444
"Special,, and the Fudge?,, Concintrated ""Special!
,,its cold out,, stop and eat fudge in sunny warmisher spot., have to Bash bits of ice from bottle to drink.,, ride back towards fireplace,, get sidetracked feeding Hawk,, chasing quail,,, another warm spot,, WATER in River?! HALALUYA!
,out WAY to long!, just 36 days till spring,,, shotme., softly.
>>
File: 1450988160522.gif (987 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1450988160522.gif
987 KB, 200x150
>>908038
Sounds terrible senpai

>work outside
>cold as fuck today
>saw forecast of slight wind
>15-25 mph gusts
>observe nearby palm trees
>ohfuggexdee.jpg

Pic related

My whole fucking ride was block headwind or slight cross wind. I was getting my front wheel pulled around out from under me and I was using my shallow section wheels. I love how here it will be 65 degrees one day and the next complete shit to ride in.
>>
>>909575
>palm trees
>cold as fuck
Nah m8 fuk u
It was -30 today in western canada.
>>
File: 20151209_161017.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20151209_161017.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
>>
>>909632
Oops, forgot to comment. Somewhere between Dresden and Meißen along the river Elbe. Wet as fuark, and cold too, but a pleasant ride otherwise.
>>
File: 1449043221817.jpg (55 KB, 365x330) Image search: [Google]
1449043221817.jpg
55 KB, 365x330
>>909581
I wish I could live up north and experience real winter but this southwest weather gets me fucked up so I don't think I'd survive
>>
Cycled 42km to0day, furthest I've ever gone.

Feels like I'm constantly uphill with a headwind though in my area ;_;
>>
>>909677
Forgot to add I hadn't really prepared for this or cycled for a while, also recently been put on beta blockers which make you tired to start and mean you can't go sanic mode.

Was getting a bit dangerous near the end of the ride desu, going 45km/h down a hill and zoning out a bit.
>>
>>909639
>wanting to have to deal with snow and salt and ice

Nah, having 10°C as "cold" is the life.
>>
>>909693
Anything above 0 is too hot.
>>
File: 1445243844391.jpg (102 KB, 387x468) Image search: [Google]
1445243844391.jpg
102 KB, 387x468
>>909696
I'm used to cold being 45° f
Summer for me is 110 degrees of fun
>>
>>909700
What's that in non-burger measurements?
>>
>>909701
7/43
>>
>>909702
>43

Fuck me, where do you live?
>>
>>909709
I wasn't him but probably arizona or nevada or something?
>>
File: daddy and kid holland.jpg (266 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
daddy and kid holland.jpg
266 KB, 2592x1944
Here in the Netherlands we have the December with the highest temperature since 1901 (when the measurements started)
>>
File: 1437540905149.jpg (149 KB, 1000x995) Image search: [Google]
1437540905149.jpg
149 KB, 1000x995
>>909709
>>909710
Arizona m80s
Hell on earth for 9 months out of the year
Barren wasteland of cold for the other 3

Old people love it here tho
>>
>>909715
Is it at least dry? When I was on holiday in Egypt it was 45C every day for a week but because the humidity was 0% it was almost comfy.
>>
>>909715
Is it true that if you leave your car in the sun in Arizona, it'll peel the paint off?
>>
>>909781
it's probably affected by the sun angle above the horizon, but generally across the American south and southwest you'll see cars with that "sunburn peeling" on the clear-coat
>>
>>909718
Yea its dry, But like bone rattling dry. It might not seem that cold to others but since it's so dry here its kinda different.
>>909781
Its true. The sun is intense as fuck in the summer but peoples paint peeling off is just because they were poor or too lazy to wax their car. See pic

My bike has a little sun fade but it looks kinda cool in a weird way.
>>
File: goodtimes.jpg (451 KB, 1598x982) Image search: [Google]
goodtimes.jpg
451 KB, 1598x982
sparkly sunlight,,,Sneaker snow, blowing off the tops of the Sierras., dark clouds and fresh snow push me hoome!
>>
File: dr.jpg (415 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
dr.jpg
415 KB, 1000x666
We finally got some snow. Winter is coming.
>>
>>905829
is riding 40 kms daily 5 days a week in jeans a bad idea?

if not, what kind of winter gear should i get?
>>
File: 1449091640857.gif (35 KB, 266x220) Image search: [Google]
1449091640857.gif
35 KB, 266x220
>>909974
>>
>>910178
You'll probably wear through the seat of the pants quite quickly like that. Plus denim is thick, heavy and slow drying. Terrible material for cycling.

I'd recommend some thermal bib tights depending on how cold it gets for you, and how well you handle cold.
>>
>>910270
I do this, but at about 20-25f I switch to some windbreaker type pants and at about 10f I wear some long johns underneath. But I am a cold weather pussy.
>>
File: frexair.jpg (2 MB, 2007x1505) Image search: [Google]
frexair.jpg
2 MB, 2007x1505
a night of freshsnow,, get on 3/4 cold gear and ride into the,,,, WHAT!??oooooOOOH CRAP!,,melting snow, mixed with fresh SHEEPOOP!,, like a slurpee, of CRAP!.
>>
>>910291
its crazy to think about how every square inch of earth has been pooped on sometime or another...even underwater...even the air is full of poop...we live in a shitty world
>>
File: Untitled.png (18 KB, 509x216) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
18 KB, 509x216
Wish I could go riding outside in shorts.
>>
File: dickdickdick.png (264 KB, 654x621) Image search: [Google]
dickdickdick.png
264 KB, 654x621
>>910575
>>
tfw having an erection is a crime
>>
>>910648
you arent wrong
>>
>>910575
Triggered. They have their jugs hanging out halfway and I can't even wear my lycra?
>>
File: bIMG_0081.jpg (313 KB, 1277x958) Image search: [Google]
bIMG_0081.jpg
313 KB, 1277x958
Drove out to the mountain bike trails before sunrise for my last ride of the year. Still not much snow, non-fatbikes wouldn't have any trouble riding the trails.

My final distance for the year is 11,302 km.
>>
Do any of you guys use indoor trainers for when its especially cold outside? I've been debating picking one up
>>
>>910768
Fucking cager faggot
>>
>>910775
This and recommended brand and model
>>
>>910775
I bought a cheap one and I hate it. I'd recommend spending some money on it, or you'll never use it. I've used mine maybe 5 times.
>>
The only time I've used a trainer is when having a bike fit done. It felt too unnatural both in the resistance and how the bike was locked upright.

I have a cheap set of rollers with plastic drums that I bought used. I love how they feel, and in the bottom half of the cassette there is plenty of resistance (for seated pedaling) even without a resistance unit.

Rollers do require constant focus though. I've never gotten comfortable enough with them to drink while riding. Even shifting around on the saddle or adjusting hand positions can introduce a good wobble. I've chosen not to tempt fate by even trying to stand.
>>
>>910815
Get zwift breh
Apparently its fun and shit
>>
>>910775
I have a 1up trainer. Not as good as rollers, but it's way easier to set up and take down, which is essential because I have a small apartment.
>>
>>910775
>>910815
I have a midrange one and I hate it.

Trainers are noisy and feel unnatural, and put wear on your parts.

I'd only consider a trainer if you are retiring your training bike, so you have a race bike, a training bike, and a trainer bike, and you got one of those new direct drive trainers which should be much quieter and don't put wear on tires. You also really should not need lots of gear ratios unless you buy a virtual trainer, so just go with cheap components on a bike that fits right.

Since that costs lots of money, I just bought a stationary spin bike instead.
>>
File: IMG_20160101_184628.jpg (2 MB, 5204x2879) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160101_184628.jpg
2 MB, 5204x2879
New Years morning , very little traffic, and perfect weather, 32c, low humidity. 39 km, with average moving speed of 22kph.
>>
>>910176
What bike is that m8? Love the colour.
>>
Went out yesterday and used my new merino balaclava. I felt like a sperglord but damn I was comfy. Sadly my phone died halfway through the ride and strava didn't record the full thing. RIP.
>>
San Francisco reporting in.

It's getting chilly but I just bought some new warm cycling pants and full fingered gloves, but I accidentally sliced off a chunk of my thumb the other day and it's all wrapped up so one hand had open fingered gloves.

;(

still a nice ride though
>>
File: 329.jpg (34 KB, 336x490) Image search: [Google]
329.jpg
34 KB, 336x490
>http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/12/31/ban-on-ear-buds-while-operating-bike-car-one-of-several-new-laws-taking-effect-in-2016/
>>
2 winters ago, getting into messengering. I need more pictures.
>>
>>
>>911135
get off the sidewalk faggot
>>
File: bIMG_0101.jpg (799 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
bIMG_0101.jpg
799 KB, 1824x1368
2.5 hour ride today. I was expecting it to be warmer and warm up faster, but it didn't. I was just warm enough, but waiting until the afternoon to ride would have been a better idea. By the time I got around to having a drink, my water bottle valve was plugged with ice.

A bunch of the geese too stupid to fly south were huddled around a hole in the ice. After the lake was deepen years back, aerators were added to help more fish survive the winter to help control algae during the summer. The aerators help keep a few spots on the lake open all winter.
>>
File: bIMG_0098.jpg (323 KB, 1319x962) Image search: [Google]
bIMG_0098.jpg
323 KB, 1319x962
>>
>>911506
>>911508
nice work anon, where are you at?

I got a 2 hour ride in today and it was much the same. I think it got to 35F but didnt feel like it. I should have started off with my shoe covers on instead of putting them on mid way on my ride. I could have gotten by with my road bike with the way the paths were maintained but took the cx still just in case.
>>
>2pm
>dark before 4:30
>will take at least an hour to reach the trails
should i go for it
>>
is there a pair of trousers made specific for cycling (winter) that does not involve wearing fucking tights
>>
>>911575
Why are you such an insecure pussy?
>>
>>911575
last week I got away with long johns and wind breaker pants in about 10F. I layered up so much that once I got going my face unfroze and I sweated through my hoody in 10 miles.
>>
>>910956
Thanks m8, it's the first gen Salsa Fargo. Photos white balance seems to be a little off though.
>>
>>911577
gonna give that a go, thanks anon
>>911576
wearing gayass tights would entail my having to buy the whole silly lycra outfit, normally I would not give a shit, but I'm trying to keep the costs down
>>
>>911582
the tights I have from pearl izumi are rated as thermal but I wouldnt want to wear them under 35F ish alone. Maybe if you had an actual thermal layer under them they would be fine. Really in the winter its more about controlling the wind chill factor as you should be able to produce enough heat to keep warm. I also wear the shoe covers to keep my toes warmer.
>>
>>911584
just sick of taking the bus man, even if it's more convenient, i just wanna bike. thanks for the advice
>>
File: 2016-01-03 14.56.18.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-03 14.56.18.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4160
Did 140km at -8° today, seriously screw this shit, never again. Everything hurts, feet were okayish with double socks and shoe covers but there doesn't exist a glove that will keep my hands warm enough on a bike in this kind of weather. My fingers still hurt as I'm typing this hours later.

Worst thing: You can fucking forget about hydration unless you brought a thermos bottle, pic related. At least you get the satistfaction of being the only road biker stupid enough to leave the house.

It's gonna snow quite a bit next week so if anything I'll do a short ride on the CX bike
>>
>>911590
you could buy an actual camel back so it stays closer to your body and in the inside layers, should stay warm enough to not freeze. Also with hands I use a cheap gas station mittens and then the thermal gloves overtop to stay warmer... I wont do stupid long rides in the cold.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nfksbhXQfq1r60xn4.png (194 KB, 500x694) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nfksbhXQfq1r60xn4.png
194 KB, 500x694
>>911590
>tumblr detected
>>
>>911590
Stop riding after the first 10km, make a fist inside your glove focusing on warming your thumbs and wait for a few minutes until it warms up. Then do it again after 20 minutes and you'll have warm hands for the remainder of the ride. I have 6 pairs of gloves that never worked, tried that and it works for me. Your fingers just need a little help to get warm. I tried riding hard without doing that and my fingers stayed cold the whole ride.
>>
Today I killed my baby, I was feeling lazy so I decided to stay in the city (mexico wey!) to ride in this big ass campus (i´ts kinda public) called Ciudad Universitaria evrything was going gr8 found some sweet spots lots of staircases drops, etc etc, when i encountered this staircase of about 5 steps, not too high (right?) - Hell yeah! im about to this drop, dropping... ouch that was harder than i expected, anyway it was only a bad landing i´ll do it again until i nail it- FUCK ME the moment i thought it was a good idea to do it again since the landing felt pretty rough the first time, second time and the moment i land i hear this cracking noise (fuck) the rear derailleur gets stuck in the wheel so it end up breaking a couple of spokes, the freaking rim (the one that hurts the most) and the hanger, the cassette was pretty damaged and the chain snapped.
It wasn´t a good day but the way I see it is a chance to upgrade my bike (thats what I say myself to not cry and kill my self)
What rear derailleur do you recommend? I had this piece of shit shimano alivio, but im not putting that shit back so I need a safe rear derailleur that wont fuck my bike the time i do a drop
>>
>>911646
why are you riding off staircases on a bike obviously meant for offroad?
>>
>>911648
Because it´s suposed to stand that kind of drops or thats what i thought, aparently dirt and pavement are totally different and i had to learn it the hard way, and i blame the freaking shimano alivio for all of this, i was about to change the whole transmition since it´s not that good, to a 1x11 sram xx1 anyway, what do you ride?
>>
>>911650
You should blame yourself because you're a moron.
>>
>>911650
urban riding is a skill. you can ride anything if you're good enough. see: road bike party
>>
>>911654
maybe, but i rather call myself inexperienced
what ive learned so far is:
>better wheel centers(?)
(axles, whatever theyrecalled) nice 15 mm are gold, this same bike had this shitty shimano(again) maza (inspanish) that simply broke apart a big crack in the zone of the lever of the quickrelease i made it just hoping off the bike while my rear wheel kept rolling like 30yards
>better hanger
do they even have quality range?
>fuck shimano alivio killed ma rim
>>
>>911655
holy shit hes good, i always had the impression that roadies would snap if it doesnt run on pavement, not anymore
>>
>>911655
kek he almast ded
>>
>>911646
I jumped off a penski truck with my box and destroyed my rear wheel. I landed so hard I thought I broke my wrists... thankfully I don't do dumb stiff like that anymore
>>
Climbed the Mont Royal to l'oratoire St-Joseph yesterday, from Atwater passing by Westmount with about 2cm of snow on some ~10 grades. Good thing I have electric assist on front wheel because I don't think I'd have enough traction on rear wheel alone.
Slipped once onto a car, thankfully didn't get run over.
>>
>>911650
It's supposed to take those kind of drops if you don't fuck up the landing. If you drop and land like a sack of potatoes it's going to break any bike. This is nobodys fault but your own, just don't do high drops like that if you're not confident you can get the landing right. That's why you start with SMALL drops until you've perfected them and then move on.

Either way it sounds like you're using a mountainbike for stuff that a BMX/Trial Bike would be better suited for but in the end it is a matter of technique, as people mentioned in this thread this shit can be done with a carbon road bike without destroying it if you know how to.
>>
>>911709
I have to improve my technique but definitely going back to that drop to show that motherfucker
Is there such thing as a bike jumping and doing da cool stuff teacher?
>>
>>911684
Sorry for your loss bro, Its a horrible feeling that shame walk after you killed your bike
>>
>>909557
>>909559

Looks a lot like Boise, Idaho. U boisean?
>>
>>911723
He lives in a small town in western Nevada if I am not mistaken.
>>
>>911719
There's youtube vids that can help but I think for most people it's just a lot of practice. As said, practice small jumps first and learn how to catch you own weight smoothly when landing, then slowly increase the height of drops.

It sounds like what you're doing is closer to trial biking than mountain biking, watch stuff like this and pay attention to how the rider is moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZj9pmmyTGI
>>
File: slicks.jpg (1 MB, 2007x1505) Image search: [Google]
slicks.jpg
1 MB, 2007x1505
>>
File: skate.jpg (1 MB, 2407x1472) Image search: [Google]
skate.jpg
1 MB, 2407x1472
>>
>>911856
looks thick enough to ride on
>>
File: chilll.jpg (2 MB, 3033x1617) Image search: [Google]
chilll.jpg
2 MB, 3033x1617
>>911864
its getting thicker,, but i see Beaver athe flowing edges, sneeky,, under the ice!,
, chicken wire, saves trees.
>>
>>905829
I had to ride to and from work in 18 degree weather (it's about a half hour ride) and I had to keep stopping at places just to warm up, how the hell do you fuckers manage to cycle in this shit weather
>>
-15C (5F) right now, -30C (-22F) forecast tomorrow, winter has finally come (no use complaining about it since it comes every year :) ).
>>
>>911902
>>911903
The best thing about riding in -15C and below is pulling down the jacket hood and covering your face so you look like an absolute criminal.
>>
>>911902
Dress in layers. Wool or polypropylene base, insulation layer over top of that, then windproof layer over all of that. Wear a neck warmer. Get good gloves and socks. Wear a wool cap under helmet. Wear winter boots or at least cover up the vent holes in your shoes.

Accept that for the first fifteen minutes of your ride you will lose sensation in your fingers until you get properly warmed up and get used to that tingly, stinging sensation as you regain warmth and feeling. Flex and wiggle your toes to keep them warm before your core temp gets going. Ride fast

Embrace the winter
>>
Reading this thread makes me more and more glad there is no "real" winter where I am.
>>
>>911907
Two winters ago i cycled in -25C, 20 m/s wind, only wearing jeans and a windbreaker jacket, no cold protection, no head wear and only thin gloves. Around 5km from home thought i would die, the cold was so intense, extreme and painful.

Then i got really really angry, goddamn i totally exploded, no fucking way am i going die here on an icy path on a field.

The anger gave me the strength to get home alive. Now i always check the weather forecasts and pack extra clothes like superunderwear, thicker gloves and head wear in my backpack if there's a danger of strong wind and low temperatures.
>>
>>911916
20 meters per second works out to 72 km/h. I wouldn't go out in the cold when its that windy.
>>
>>911932
I rode with winds that much and higher once, there were times you cannot keep a bike physically upright. It was interesting to say the least.
>>
A school bus hit me today, and then they took off.

Cops don't want to do shit.
School DOT says they'll look into it.

Bike is fine, I ended up on someones over-grown lawn.
My jersey, shorts, and left shoe is all kinds of fucked up though. Bet I'll have some nice bruises tomorrow.
>>
>>912003
the fuck?
what did the cops say?
>>
>>911936
https://youtu.be/8Ujc5nmeDyQ?t=2m36s
did a sportive with winds over 100KM/h, organizers did not call it off. It was alright riding into the wind other than the suffering and fucked up steering. Going back was absolutely nuts, wind carried me across gravel pushing me out of the shoulder and lasted for 30kMs
>>
>>912003
Whether or not they don't want to do anything you should file a police report. If they don't even want to let you do that, write down the desk officer's name and badge number. That will probably change their mind.
>>
File: 1430081472838.jpg (26 KB, 559x556) Image search: [Google]
1430081472838.jpg
26 KB, 559x556
>>906888
>Recently built some wind guards for my hands out of 2L drink bottles.
>mfw i just came from /o/
>mfw this is the norm on /n/
>>
>>912218
>drug dealer puts a trans am wing on a corvette and unironically thinks it looks great
>this is the norm on /o/
>>
>usually ride with mudguards, rack, and bits and bobs like extra water food and a lock etc
>took the rack off and got rid of all the other stuff, kept the mudguards on
>went for a quick ride

Fuck me it was weird, the bike was crazy light and felt so twitchy, weird how you get used to the weight.

I can definitely see how practising with a heavy bike before going on a tour is beneficial.
>>
>>911908
Damn. It's -22 °C out there and I just managed to ride to work for nightshift. The rolling resistance of my Minion tires, sluggish grease in hubs and three layers of clothing helped to keep everything warm for the first 10 km. After that I started to feel little cold in feet and for the last 5 km the feet were pretty much numb. I've got oversized winter boots, thick sport socks and thick wooly socks but still feet were freaking freezed and one of my toes even looked completely white. Now it's fine though.

Does /n/ have any super tips for keeping feet warm? I want to get home while all my toes are still intact. Core, legs, hands and head all are perfectly fine so overall tempereature balance of my body seems to be fine.

Love the winter.
>>
>>912407
When going with extra socks its important for it not to make your boots fit tight as that will reduce circulation and circulation is heat. I like using a thin liner sock for wicking in addition to a wool sock.

I also used to wear shoe covers over my old pair of winter boots that were too small to allow for thicker socks. You might try adding some foam over the toe area for external insulation.

For me the only thing that works beyond an hour of winter riding is electric heat, even when its just below freezing. But I think I'm in the minority needing that.
>>
>>912218
I must apologise. I have been doing my utmost to foster the correct use of SI prefixes, units and unit symbols as prescribed by the SI Brochure on this board, but as you noticed, full compliance is as yet unachieved.
>>
>>912407
Piss in your shoes
>>
>>912407
I have -40 rated winter boots and never needed anything more than just a wool sock.
>>
>>912407
plastic bags
>>
Oh god -43.5C today or -46,3F damn its cold. I think even we in north Sweden think its really cold today. I guess we could take at most -60C before some of the houses in the north needs to be evacuated.
>>
File: yupp.jpg (665 KB, 1243x1599) Image search: [Google]
yupp.jpg
665 KB, 1243x1599
>>912510
>>
>>912516
That looks really really cozy where is it and how hot is it :).
>>
File: asss.jpg (703 KB, 1653x1037) Image search: [Google]
asss.jpg
703 KB, 1653x1037
>>912517
Longago,,,, in a season, Far,,FAR away.
,Nevada,, means= Landofsnow.
,, wasnow early today, changed to rain,,, and cattle ran the road yesterday?, im sittin tight!,, theresome things i cant HTFU.
>>
File: Mountain climbing.jpg (632 KB, 2494x1401) Image search: [Google]
Mountain climbing.jpg
632 KB, 2494x1401
I rode up a mountain today to ride the trails but when I got there they were too icy to ride : (

637m elevation gain on my trail bike, definitely one of the hardest rides I've ever done, even though it was only 48km
>>
File: icy.jpg (472 KB, 2364x1328) Image search: [Google]
icy.jpg
472 KB, 2364x1328
icy a/f
>>
File: clean.jpg (958 KB, 2364x1328) Image search: [Google]
clean.jpg
958 KB, 2364x1328
before my bike got dirty
>>
File: racing.jpg (544 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
racing.jpg
544 KB, 1280x720
chillin
>>
>>913025
not icy at all u fat fuk
>>
>>913026
it's all packed down b

somebody insecure about they body
>>
File: IMG_20160110_160944.jpg (1 MB, 3505x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_160944.jpg
1 MB, 3505x1728
I did 65 km in 34C weather today. I had to go to a store, and the 31 km there were fine , but on the way back, I feel I might have bonked. Around km 61 I have to walk over a pedestrian overpass, so I carry my bike up 20 stairs or something. At the top I'm breathing hard and all dizzy. But while riding I was fine. I sat for a bit, and rode home. In the shower I felt light headed again, and just had to sit on the floor and feel dizzy.
>>
>>913099
Sure it wasn't heat exhaustion?
>>
>>913103
I kind of think it was that. I've noticed many times where I feel fine cycling, but when I have to carry my bike up stairs, even not that many, that it just destroys me. And the heat doesn't help.
>>
>>913118
You ridin gaspipe or something?
>>
About half-way to my 2009 annual distance. My annual distances did ramp up quickly after that first year. Got my first "he's friendly" of the year when a dog started running after me.

Aside from a brutal wind forecast for tomorrow, the coming week looks decent with highs of -15 °C or warmer.
>>
File: trez.jpg (818 KB, 2006x1035) Image search: [Google]
trez.jpg
818 KB, 2006x1035
>>
File: gril.jpg (691 KB, 2773x1341) Image search: [Google]
gril.jpg
691 KB, 2773x1341
>>
File: mend.jpg (915 KB, 2407x1564) Image search: [Google]
mend.jpg
915 KB, 2407x1564
>>
File: boingy.jpg (2 MB, 2408x1806) Image search: [Google]
boingy.jpg
2 MB, 2408x1806
>>
File: thaw.jpg (1 MB, 2407x1313) Image search: [Google]
thaw.jpg
1 MB, 2407x1313
>>
>>913687
Can you get cold feet bacon?
>>
File: IMG_20160110_184157.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_184157.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
>>905829
You for sure look like a professor I had in MI.
I'm going out tonight to test my new lamp. Expecting single digits and piercing wind around the lake.
>>
>>913710
The OP pic is from someone's blog in Wisconsin.
>>
>>913153
Yes, I ride steel.
>>
>>911135
O T T A W A
T
T
A
W
A
>>
Wasn't very cold today but I felt cold. Some fresh snow which was fun to ride in. I rode out on a creek for a bit which was kind of weird. The fresh snow made for a uniform whiteness completely encompassing my vision messing with my depth perception in some spots and making me feel like I wasn't even moving in others. Got a bit of a balaclava tan, so it looks like I need to start putting on sunscreen for sunny days until the snow melts.

Back to the -20 to -30 °C range for the next 4 days.
>>
Got a couple hours in on the road today, windy but a nice ride anyhow. Any day in January where the roads are clear enough for skinny tires is a blessing.

At the end of the ride I stopped to pick up my mail and witnessed some neighbors in my apartment complex literally copy the 20-ft-mailbox-drive from the opening scene of The Gods Must be Crazy.
>>
File: lotus.jpg (200 KB, 640x670) Image search: [Google]
lotus.jpg
200 KB, 640x670
wondering if you guys can tell me what this is
>>
>>914253
it appears to be a scantily clad brown person
>>
>>914253
putting this hear because it doesnt deserve its own thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufnWwV2J5I
>>
what do you wear when you ride?

It was about -10C a few days ago and I had on

>small set of gloves
>larger set of gloves over them
>thermal underwear (bottoms only)
>sweatpants
>hoodie
>construction worker's hoodie (so only blind cunts couldn't see me)
>thick scarf
>warm hat (thin enough to fit under helmet)

The first hood was stuffed inside my shirt while the second is big enough to fit over my helmet. I was pretty comfy but actually think I need even thicker gloves. Anybody have recs on brands or styles of gloves to repel cold air?
>>
>>914304
I wear some gas station mittens and then some pearl izumi thermal gloves that block the wind.. really its more about blocking the wind.
>>
>>914305
>>914305

I have gloves like that but I don't think they do the job for me.

...maybe I can stuff two sets of thermal gloves inside of each other.
>>
>>914307
thats why you layer up, alone they kind of suck desu.
>>
>>914308
I had 'gas station mittens' too, do I just add another set of those?
>>
>>914309
idk anon, Either cold really affects you or you just arent riding hard enough to be sweating like crazy under all that.
>>
>>914310
I'm fine everywhere but the hands desu, the tips of my fingers in particular get chilly. Weird cuz I have a really strong circulatory system. Though I do have big spider hands. I'll just get some more cheap gloves and pile 'em on, see how it goes.
>>
>>914311
>>914311
when your body gets cold it stops sending blood to the outer most extremities.. finger and toes.. maybe try a wind breaker. Blocking the wind usually lets me get away with one less layer.... then again I work outside so maybe I am more adapted this year.
>>
>>914312
I'm hesitant on that because of visibility concerns, would a windbreaker still break wind underneath something else?
>>
File: IMG_20160115_105105039.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160115_105105039.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
92°F today with decent humidity. I didn't eat before riding this morning, and 15 km or so, I felt like I bonked. I did 38 km, carrying a pannier to simulate actual touring conditions. The pannier is packed with everything but toiletries and was at 3.4 kg today. I had to climb a set of stairs and only got a little bit dizzy.
>>
Rode up vid related ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6L2wtNDj_o )and a few other climbs around the place, was pretty enjoyable but got burnt beetroot red.

Got to meet/get dropped by some of the Lotto-Soudal lads and will be visiting the tour village when it opens tomorrow.

Aslo met a grouchy old bastard who yelled at us as he passed us on his motorised 'bent; good times had by all.
>>
>>914392
Man, fuck the corkscrew. 39/28 is not enough for that monster.

Remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI unless you're going out after like, 5:30.

How long are you in Adelaide for?
>>
>>914394
Corkscrew is pretty imtimidating, but if you have good strength/ FTP/ steroid fueled veganism it's not too heartbreaking. We were pretty fresh going up there, only had done about 40km by that time so it could have been much worse,

I normally run 39-27 as my lowest but my bike is in the shop so I have this arse-heavy commuter flatbar that has a triple and a 32 on the back so it really wasn't that bad at all.

I live in adelaide lel, used to live at the bottom of the gorge but not for some years, although I'm still on that side of the city; what about you laddy?
>>
>>914396
Northwest, takes about an hour in either direction to get to the hills.

I thought there was only one other person from /n/ here, but you're not on strava/FS?

>steroid fueled veganism
kek
>>
>>914397
Northwest is where some of the best fishing is going on at the moment at least, it being crab, whiting, tommy and gar season so at least there's that.

Not on strava etc, I just ride and am getting back into lifting as I've noticed some strength loss from last year.
Definitely want to start doing more to track my times on the bike though, but for now I'm far more concerned with upping my FTP by supplementing with off-bike strength and CNS adaptation.

>tfw sprinting the same finish as the 3rd stage on maryvale road for keks today.

Also, who's the "only other person" from SA? I think there's a few lurking...
>>
File: bIMG_0111.jpg (318 KB, 1204x903) Image search: [Google]
bIMG_0111.jpg
318 KB, 1204x903
Sure sign of cold weather.

-18 °C , I rode for an hour and 20 minutes. I could have gone longer if I had used my thicker long underwear and put arm warms under my base layer. I should go buy a new pair of heavy long underwear, my current ones don't stretch much and sap some of my power while riding.
>>
File: apless.jpg (690 KB, 2007x1505) Image search: [Google]
apless.jpg
690 KB, 2007x1505
>>914462
51F,,
,select,,, tricycles
>>
File: saladss.jpg (598 KB, 2465x957) Image search: [Google]
saladss.jpg
598 KB, 2465x957
select,, bicycles.
,,, i cant solve, for/o/
>>
File: hunt.jpg (1 MB, 2921x1785) Image search: [Google]
hunt.jpg
1 MB, 2921x1785
>>
File: smells.jpg (1 MB, 3285x1637) Image search: [Google]
smells.jpg
1 MB, 3285x1637
>>
File: crowd.jpg (488 KB, 2555x876) Image search: [Google]
crowd.jpg
488 KB, 2555x876
>>
File: 20151101_170556_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151101_170556_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
FUCKING SHIT BIKE
FUCKING SHIT WHEEL TO BE EXACT.
picture taken a few months ago, but my freehub keeps freezing below -20. I was riding to the bike shop, about 10km away when it froze at 2km. I had to walk the rest of the way to the shop, then took the train home. I took apart the freehub the last time for an overhaul after it froze but it still freezes. Someone kill me.
>>
>>914805
Is water getting into the internals or is your grease breaking down in the low temperatures?
>>
>>914813
I use white lithium grease and there's a shit ton of it in there. I made sure it was dry when I serviced it. Highly doubt regular riding in salt and snow would penetrate that quickly? Could it be that the grease itself is freezing?
>>
>>914814
Yep, that's probably your problem.

I did a quick search for specs and the couple of brands of white lithium grease I looked were only rated down to 0f (-18c).
>>
>>914238
Great fucking movie
>>
>>914818
Ugh that explains it. Thanks.
>>
>>914805
For the freehub pawls only a little grease is needed on the hinge. Any excess grease in the cavity they get pushed into just gives them something to stick to.
>>
>>914805
Your fenders look like they have a bit too much clearance, that front one especially would drive me nuts.
>>
>>914883
Unless it needs to be that way for snow, of course.
>>
>>914883
I run 1.5 inch slicks in summer, 2.1 ice spikers in winter. couldn't be bothered to lower it a week before it actually started snowing.
>>
>>914893
Fair enough then.
>>
File: 20151216_110314.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151216_110314.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>914893
>>
>>914304
for my normal commute of about 40mins I'd wear my windbreaker, full gloves, jogger sweats or jeans, warm socks, probably a t-shirt underneath but I'd consider something thermal. oh and a bandanna or scarf and cycling cap.

-10 is the threshold at which I would consider dressing warmer it would also depend on the windchill
>>
>>914311
layering can have the opposite effect of what you're looking for if the layers are too tight
>>
>>905829
I've always wondered. Is this thread supposed to be a "Daily thread where you post about any ride" or a "Thread where you post about your ride that you do daily"
>>
>>915132
Either/or is surely fine.
>>
File: scumud.jpg (516 KB, 1797x937) Image search: [Google]
scumud.jpg
516 KB, 1797x937
signs,, of the coming Spring!,
,, its only 3 inchs deep (1/4feets),, butits WATER!, glory be!
>>
File: 20galmin.jpg (1 MB, 2365x1429) Image search: [Google]
20galmin.jpg
1 MB, 2365x1429
>>
File: roadip.jpg (959 KB, 2408x1806) Image search: [Google]
roadip.jpg
959 KB, 2408x1806
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 97

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.