[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any person knowledgeable about ship design? Have a need to identify
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5
File: 093.jpg (44 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
093.jpg
44 KB, 256x192
Any person knowledgeable about ship design?

Have a need to identify the type of ship that pic related is. The game it is from refers to it as a Windcatcher, though searching yields no results and even a little research leads to trouble finding ship types even similar.

Could be that it is based off something real, since the game tends to be pretty technical about ship design, but I'd have no idea what.
>>
Assuming that the sails aft of the masts are intended to represent square-rigged sails, I would say that it is supposed to be a fully-rigged ship. The raised area of deck is not a feature of naval architecture I've ever seen on such a vessel.
>>
File: 142.jpg (20 KB, 240x215) Image search: [Google]
142.jpg
20 KB, 240x215
Another picture.

>>905798
One of the things that confuses me is that the aft sails don't have a boom, almost like they were flipped upside down. As for the raised part, yeah it's pretty weird. Some searching termed it as a Midcastle, though only a few ships used such a thing and usually for gunnery purposes.
>>
>>905799
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the designers of this clipart didn't know (or particularly give a shit) about hull configurations or rigging, OP
>>
The hull configuration is probably inspired by one of those modern big sailing yachts, which look kinda like a normal motor yacht with big sails on top.

If its supposed to be a historic ship i´d go with >>905813´s opinion.
>>
It's basically a retarded gaff rigged schooner. I real boat wouldn't have multiple sails stacked on top of each other unless it was square rigged, and the sails would be cut in a way that makes sense.
>>
File: 141.jpg (39 KB, 240x215) Image search: [Google]
141.jpg
39 KB, 240x215
>>905864
>>905839
>>905813
Thanks for the input then, it was confusing the heck out of me but I guess it's probably just fabricated.

One last pic for the road.
>>
File: 047.jpg (69 KB, 288x201) Image search: [Google]
047.jpg
69 KB, 288x201
Oh found one more. But yeah, thanks again.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.