[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which bike lights to you guys use? I'd like to get ones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: cateye-bike-lights[1].jpg (8 KB, 282x179) Image search: [Google]
cateye-bike-lights[1].jpg
8 KB, 282x179
Which bike lights to you guys use? I'd like to get ones that take either AA or AAA batteries and have flashing options to conserve battery
>>
>>948610
I have a cygolite taillight that has a built-in, non-replaceable rechargeable battery. In flashing mode it's good for like 35 hours and it recharges in like 2 hours. I also have a B&M taillight which is not flashing, the one AA cell I have in there now has been in there for like 3 months with an hour a day and it's still going strong.

In short, I don't know what kind of conditions you're expecting to ride in, but the headlights are going to be more of a concern, when it comes to battery life. Those are usually good for 5 hours or so continuous run time, depending on the model.
>>
>>948610
Don't waste your time and money on cheap lights that use replaceable batteries, get USB rechargeable lights instead, it's worth the money and will pay for itself.
>>
>>948643
not if you have rechargeable batteries
>>
>>948727
The only thing better than USB rechargeable is dynamo lights
>>
>>948729
u srs senpai, dynamo lights are absolutely horrible
>>
>>948730
spotted the MTB fag with $30 "brightest light on amazon"
>>
>>948643
>cue forgetting to charge the lights or forgetting the lights themselves at home.
>>
>>948737
>Muh beam pattern
>>
>>948610
I'm interested too. I ride a lot at night and don't want to have to hassle with always recharging it and then being out of a light if it dies on me or if I leave the house with it plugged in.

I'd much rather carry a few spare batteries in my bag. I need a new light, I have no idea what happened to my old one.
>>
>>948739
>he cant remember to check his bike before he leaves

do you forget your wallet every day too?
>>
>>948610

I've got a cheap blackburn rear light running AAA sized eneloop batteries. I'd take that over low end/mid ranged lights with usb recharge or non-removable batteries.

I have some random cheap front light, and a headlamp clipped to my helmet. I live in a rural area and would advise a headlamp out here unless you want to get blindsided by deer or startled cattle that broke through a fence.
>>
Why are we having this discussion when there is still sunlight at 930 pm?
>>
$3 Chinese USB-rechargeable tail light
>>
I have two rear lights.

Cateye with 3 LEDs. Powered by two AAA batteries.

Serfas Thunderbolt - has a string of very bright red LEDs (COB - circuit on board). Built-in rechargeable battery. Standard micro-USB charging cable can be used at home or work.
>>
>>948797
I have two front lights.

Cateye Volt 700.

Trustfire FK-08 (I got it on eBay for under $20 with a charger and Li-ion 18650 battery.) The FK-08 has a un-optimized circular beam, brighter than the Cateye. The 18650 battery lasts about an hour in high, three hours in medium, and over six hours in low, and it can be easily replaced. The light doesn't have a quick-release bracket, but the battery and the battery compartment end-caps can be removed making the light unattractive to steal in case you have to lock up your bike. The 18650 battery sounds unusual, but my RC-hobby shops have them.
>>
>>948794
Newsflash, the closer you are to the equator the less drastic a difference between sun up and sun down.
>>
My road bike has no light since i only ride by day. On the other hand my commuter/tourer Dymos has SON dynamo hub coupled with a Busch&Mueller Lycos U. Not only does it have zero friction when off but I can charge my phone/tablet while pedaling during tours in the boonies. It's pretty expensive though.
>>
>>948610
>>948747
Cygolite Metro 400 and Cygolite Hotshot. Water-resistant (can be used in storms), various brightness settings, solid and flashing options, USB rechargable, good mount options. Just fully charge them before each ride.
>>948727
>>948730
You're a fucking idiot.
>>948739
>being so stupid as to forget lights
Do you also forget to fill up your water bottles? Do you forget to bring a few energy bars? Do you forget to bring your multitool? Of course, you might run out of batteries during your ride too and/or forget to replace them when they run out.
>>948794
>not riding later than 9:30pm
What a faggot.
>>
I wish there were CR123 bike lights, I know there's really no market for them but they'd be brighter and last longer than AA or AAAs
>>
For daylight
>Niterider Lumina 700 on flash mode headlight
>Blackburn 2'Fer tail light

For night time, above lights plus:
>another Niterider Lumina 650
>another Blackburn 2'Fer tail light (one mounted on my helmet the other on the seat post.
>>
>>948741
>muh weapon
>>
>>948730
Fuck off you faggot downtube
>>
>>948610
I have 8 lights
>anon why so much
fuck you i dont want to be hit
first i have two bright lights on the front to make sure nothing is in my way
II. i have rigged some lights on the back to show people when im slowing down with my brakes they also flash different colors when stopped and detect when im moving backwards
>wow anon why you need those
because i dont want to get hit
C. I got hit once when turning so i was like fuck it so i got some turn signals their right by my hand so i dont have to move much 2 on the front and 2 on the back
>jeez anon the sounds like overkill
thats because i dont want anyone to scratch the already shitting paint job on my 2000 honda acord
>>
>>948610
> Rear lights
Cheapest available AAA-powered one. It's permanently attached due to mud anyway, so it's more than likely going to get stolen.
Set to flashing whenever it's on, so it reminds drivers I'm actually there.

> Front light
I picked up a big AA unit ages ago. LED, flashing LED, and two levels of xenon bulb. I normally use it in flashing LED unless I'm out of urban areas, then switch it to the brightest xenon setting so I can see where I'm going.
>>
>>949642
do you have a link to said turning signals?
>>
>>949775
maybe read again
>>
>>949642
Get the fuck out of /n/ you fucking downtube.
>>949775
He's a cager >>>/o/utist faggot downtube talking about his downtube-tier death cage.
>>
Bike lights are for downtubers.
>>
>>949816
>riding without lights
Not even once. Fuck off, downtubing faggot.
>>
>>949799
: ^ ) i like to merge into bikers when they try to get on the road
>>
>>948727
'Rechargable batteries' means NiMH, which are 1.2V, alkaline batteries are 1.5 volts, so your headlight and taillight will be dim like your batteries are mostly dead. Also NiMH batteries have a fraction of the capacity of alkaline batteries, so a headlight won't last anywhere near as long as with alkaline batteries. Been there, done all that, gave up and bought USB rechargables with LiPO batteries in them, never looked back once, better than anything you ever have to replace batteries in all the time. Stop wasting money on throw-away batteries.
>>
>>948739
You that guy that rides around with half-flat tires all the time because you can't be bothered to remember to check and correct your air pressure before taking off? Thought so. You get into the habit of bringing your lights in with you and plugging them in to recharge all the time, simple as that. I've never had lights go out on me because I forgot to charge them.
>>
>>949636
But, dynamo lights are in fact terrible, they only work so long as you're moving, and you're limited to 3 watts of lighting in any case, and you're also limited to having a front wheel that has a dynamo hub. That's commuter/filthy casual tier lighting at best.
>>
>>950804
>he thinks it's still 1979
If I apply your logic to battery powered lights, you need to lug around a 3 kg lead acid battery all the time and your lights will short circuit the second it starts to drizzle, assuming you didn't run out of juice 45 minutes into your ride
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.