[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a bus driver in Sydney, Australia and I have some time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 3086856326_7788af480b[1].jpg (133 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
3086856326_7788af480b[1].jpg
133 KB, 500x359
I'm a bus driver in Sydney, Australia and I have some time on my hands.

>Ask me anything
>>
>>904688
What are the worst demographics to deal with as a bus driver? Has anyone ever physically threatened you? Any issues with Abos?
>>
>>904688
What's the dumbest thing you encountered in your line of work?
>>
How do you feel when people don't tap on?
>>
>>904690
I've never personally been threatened with violence, but plenty of my colleagues have. Some have been beaten up, usually because they confront fare evaders. Lower socioeconomic areas are worse for obvious reasons.

>>904691
It's hard to find a specific example, stupidity is a constant in dealing with the general public. It once took me about five minutes to explain to someone why they had to cross the road to catch a bus traveling in the opposite direction.

>>904692
I honestly don't give a shit, though it amuses me when they forget to tap off.
>>
>>904688
Favourite and worst bus you've ever driven?
>>
>>904720
Each bus has unique pros and cons. Personally I dislike the Mercedes OC500LE CNG buses because they are slow as fuck. We have some brand new Scania turbo diesels (not sure of the model number) that are fast as hell.

Our older CNG Scania L113s are generally pretty fast but they have a lot of mechanical problems being the oldest buses in our fleet. Well, technically the Mark V is the oldest but there are only a few still in service in limited roles.
>>
>>904726
Welp, looks like it really is the buses. Those CNG things can't climb Albion st or High St for shit. But man those Custom Scanias can accelerate to high speed up them.
>>
>>904726
Speaking of speeds, do you guys ever 'race' buses?
>>
>>904728
I'm sure it happens. I consider myself a professional driver and I don't pull shit like that, but there are plenty of stupid bus drivers out there. It's much harder to get away with bad driving with all the social media these days.

>>904727
If you think High St and Albion are bad you should see the line-up of cars behind an OC500 coming up Arden St from Coogee Beach. 10km/h all the way baby.
>>
>>904731
>If you think High St and Albion are bad you should see the line-up of cars behind an OC500 coming up Arden St from Coogee Beach. 10km/h all the way baby.

Lol. Eastern Suburbs depot?
>>
>>904732
Yep. Those in the know will probably guess which one but I won't give it away.
>>
>>904734
Used to hate that the 352 only ran weekdays. 370 is a munt of a route for timing.
>>
>>904735
King Street is awful in general for bus routes. 380s and 389s are notorious for being late and unreliable because Bondi is a shit-show in general. You can spend all day hailing full buses at the top of Bondi road because we fill up with tourists on the beach.
>>
>>904737
It isn't just King Street. I'd be a pick up around 7.30 just off Cleveland, UNSW bound, three 370s in a row because of compression around Annandale / Glebe Point Rd. Then the next three in a row half an hour later for the same reason.
>>
>>904740
There are other factors at play too when multiple buses turn up at the same time. One driver may be on time on their first run for the day, the next one might be late from their previous run, and some services will have 'shuttles' which only cover busier parts of the entire route.
>>
>>904741
Yeah, and drivers don't have route or scheduling control, so I'm not going to blame them like an arsehole. It is just one of those "ah fuck" especially when you need to leave an hour early for a 30 minute bus ride to be there on time.
>>
Too bad you will never know the joys of driving a superior North American nova bus
>>
>>904753
Honolulu will have a light rail system soon. Hopefully they will improve service.
>>
>>904753
le poo
>>
>>904688
Why only two downtown terminals:Wynard and Circlear Quay?
>>
File: 7328009120_07e0a7d8fc_b.jpg (429 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
7328009120_07e0a7d8fc_b.jpg
429 KB, 1024x683
>>904688
Too bad none of you will get to drive an enviro400
>>
>>904753
>rebranded Volvos
>>
>I'm a politically correct bus driver, allow me to bore you
>>
>>905165
Uh, Central Station is "downtown"
>>
>>905222
Exactly, I want to hear stories of aborigines.
>>
>>905252
So I was travelling on a 352 west bound from Slutty Hills to Cleveland Street and this old aboriginal guy got on the bus. He was pretty drunk but holding his liquor. It was 3pm. He used a pensioner ticket. Got off before my stop and walked towards Redfern.

OH MY GAWD.
>>
>>905186
When did MTR start running buses?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.