[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>look pedals fall apart >decide to upgrade to speedplays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: speedplay-light-action.jpg (114 KB, 1293x798) Image search: [Google]
speedplay-light-action.jpg
114 KB, 1293x798
>look pedals fall apart
>decide to upgrade to speedplays
>working in bike bike shop
>install pedals and cleats
>can't get them to clip in, find out I screwed the cleat in too tight
>loosen the cleat up
>still can't get them in
>ask the shop owner what's wrong
>he has me sit on the bike and basically pushes really hard until they finally go in
>realize I can't reliably get in or out on my own
>decide to sit on the trainer while I practice getting in and out
>shop owner is in the back and there are no customers to be found
>sitting on the trainer with both shoes on
>can't get either one to clip in, even with literally 100% of my weight (150 lbs/70 kg) on either pedal
>no amount of twisting or wiggling changes that
>have the great idea of dropping my weight onto one of the pedals from the 12 o'clock position
>line up the cleat and drop my weight onto the left pedal
>I fall to the left
>the bike falls to the left, still in the trainer
>the trainer falls to the left
>finally clipped in
>can't clip out
>have to reach under the bike and take the shoe off so I can get free

what's the deal with these shits? I was ultimately able to get clipped in a few times, but I can't do it consistently, and I literally can not clip out. I think they loosened up a bit, will they loosen up to a reasonable level? I literally can't go for a ride because I can't get in/out. are lighter riders (not that I'm particularly light, but most people I see with speedplays are 200+ lb freds) even able to use them or do I just have to return them?
>>
>>904243

>Get SPD-SL
>Enjoy reliable shimano superiority for the rest of your life
>>
>>904245
I'm already having terrible fucking buyer's remorse but I got a ridiculous deal on them and while I'm sure the owner would let me return them I don't want to deal with that
>>
>>904246
Were they already broken in?

These fuckers are known for this, you need to just manually click them in with your hands to loosen them up.

click-in, wiggle a bunch and repeat but really, this didn't need it's own thread...
>>
>>904245
This
>>904243
You shouldn't buy non-shimano components and you shouldn't buy non- continental tires
>>
>>904250
>He thinks Continental have anything that can compare to a Muddy Mary/Hans Dampf f/r combo!
Schwalbe for life
>>
>>904243
lol fred
>>
>>904268
>shwalbe shit
>MTB shit
Opinion discarded
>>
Yep that speedplay life. I have a hard time recommending them, but people with knee problems seem to swear by them. Something about the float being silky smooth. The grease port situation is pretty neat, customers are mad impressed when I get the noise out of their pedal in <5 minutes.

Troubleshooting:
-Are the screws still too tight? I believe they are supposed to just be tight enough that you feel the shapes on the screw index into the plate. It will seem kinda crazy loose but that's what the locktite is for.
-Lubrication. Try getting some ptfe between the spring & plate and the spring and cleat body.
-Double check. You should be able to wiggle the spring on its own. If it can't wiggle there's too much friction between the spring and the rest of the cleat and it likely will not clip in.
-What everyone else is saying. Clip the pedals in & out by hand a few dozen times.

>>904268
Schwalbe makes some well performing tires but they don't seem to last long. Conti seems to offer better value if lacking a bit of performance. Also I'm glad schwalbe stepped up to the plate as an alternative to hutchinson if you want tubeless road.
>>
>>904243
I got some speedplay pedals for free a while back and they have just been sitting in my room. Got some clipless shoes today but they have holes for shimano road clips. Is it worth getting the speedplay cleats with the spd adapters or should I just wait to get shimano pedals and cleats?
>>
>>904284
consider this: for the price of the speedplay cleats, you could get shimano pedals and cleats

>>904269
did you just learn that word?
>>
>>904247
>>904272
I might be missing something but:
how the fuck am I supposed to clip them in with my hands if I can't clip them in with 150 lbs of weight on my foot? I can't thumb-press 150+ lbs
>>
I don't think it's just because you're lightweight. I use X/5s on my road bikes and I've never weighed more than 135 pounds.
>>
They are like that at first, you just have to clip in and out like a dozen times. Take the pedal off the bike, put it on a hard surface (i.e. table), and push the shoe (with it not on your foot) onto the pedal. Push down really hard. It will clip in. Then thread the pedal into the crank (hard to remove without leverage), then twist the shoe outward to remove it. Unscrew pedal from crank, repeat. Do it like 6-12 times per pedal/shoe. Yeah it's annoying and takes some time but after you do it, they should be much easier to use.
>>904247
>didn't need its own thread
trainfag pls go
>>
Also, put some of this on the cleats (and keep the cleats and pedals clean)
http://www.amazon.com/Dumonde-Tech-Bicycle-Chain-Lubrication/dp/B001ENVJD4
>>
>>904243
Keo 2 Blade representing senpai

20nm massiv
>>
Speedplays are garbage. I have some sitting in a box somewhere.

If you live someplace thats not a hermetically sealed chamber you have to disassemble the cleat, clean them, spray teflon dry lube on them pretty much every day. And the screws that hold them together can't be screwed down tight for them to function correctly so they just fall out and you lose them.
>>
They're dangerous pedals to use. You don't know when they'll be locked in place with some road grime getting in there. I almost died using them when I had a giant pothole in front of me, a semi on the left and a cliff on the right, I thought I could just unclip to pause so I wouldn't get smushed and then just go around the pothole after the semi had passed, but both my feet had locked. I managed to pull off a miraculous bunny hop over the pot hole somehow and didn't die. Fuck speedplays.
>>
>>904332
Shimano is best clipless pedals.
>>
>>904288
ham fist that shit. but seriously if you're having this much trouble those screws are too tight.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.