[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Single speed conversion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: s-l1000.jpg (111 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
111 KB, 1000x750
Hey /n/

Need some help, I bought a Merida Big 7-20md a while back and the crankset is pic related. I took them off to clean them and saw the bottom bracket is Shimano and not Suntour. What do I need to do to do a single speed conversion? I can install parts fine but it's the compatibility I don't get. The crankset specifically is the SR XCC 42-34-24 CG. Can I just buy a new crankset w/ chainring or do i have to get a new bottom bracket aswell? If so what do you recommend.
>>
>>903296
>single speed
why
>>
>>903296
>single speed
Don't touch your shifters.
>>
File: hurrr.png (485 KB, 1080x804) Image search: [Google]
hurrr.png
485 KB, 1080x804
>>903342
Wow that was a quick conversion!
>>
File: cinelli_sep_2012+2.jpg (361 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
cinelli_sep_2012+2.jpg
361 KB, 1000x750
>>903296
DonĀ“t waste your time. the dropuots of your frame are not suitable for a single speed convertion.
But if you want it, you must use single speed chain tensioner
>>
>>903481
What's wrong with shortening your chain and possibly using chain stay adjusters?

Genuinely curious pham.
>>
OP, you don't need a new crankset. Just get a singlespeed ring and short chainring bolts and put it in the middle position.

>>903499
>Vertical dropouts
>Chainstay adjuster
Again, just fuck off.
>>
>>903296
explain me why you want to turn your already shitbike in a hipstermobile
>>
File: orange3.jpg (45 KB, 439x271) Image search: [Google]
orange3.jpg
45 KB, 439x271
>>903481
If you go this route at least use the tensioner properly...
>>
File: [email protected] (277 KB, 1400x934) Image search: [Google]
Hunter-Cycles-Bushmaster-Tourer-25-700x467@2x.jpg
277 KB, 1400x934
>>903501
>he doesn't have adjustable chainstays
>>
>>903650
>Buys a boutique frame with esoteric features for optimising non-derailer drivetrains
>Run a double crank
why.jpeg
>>
>>903656
>He doesn't know about the White Industries DOS ENO freewheel.
>>
>>903659
>haffin cogs on u front wheel
u haffin a laff?
>>
>>903659
well that thing will be completely useless offroad..
>>
>>903663
>he doesn't know about klunkers
>>
>>903669
kek, good one anon
>>
>>903659
What is that black thing mounted right at the base of the down tube?
>>
File: fag.gif (397 KB, 350x192) Image search: [Google]
fag.gif
397 KB, 350x192
>>903659
>Time to change gears!
>Remove rear wheel
>Remove front wheel
>Loosen CS bolt
>Tighten CS wingnut
>Install old front wheel in the rear
>Install old rear wheel in the front
>Tighten CS Bolt
>Loosen CS Wingnut
>I love the simplicity of a derailer-free drivetrain!
I like single speeds, but this impossible to rationalise.
>>
>>903772
I supposed it would make a tiny bit of sense if it was used to commute during the week (high gear for going fast on road) and then switched to a lower gear for off roading at the weekend. Still incredibly stupid though.

It's a shame because I love the look of the thing (minus the frame bag) and it's probably quite fun to ride. Would be nice with an IGH but I'm guessing those are through axles.
>>
>>903703
Bottle cage.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.