[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /n/ - I was hoping I could get some advice from you all on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: bike[1].jpg (59 KB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
bike[1].jpg
59 KB, 300x228
Hey /n/ - I was hoping I could get some advice from you all on something.

I ride a decently entry to mid-level road bike - think late 2000s, half-carbon, Tiagra/105 level components. Bought it used from a friend for $250.

Today I'm riding to meet someone at their house, and I leave the bike on its side in the driveway. A few minutes later there's a loud crunching noise - a big utility truck, also coming to the same house - ran over my bike. The back wheel is clearly fucked, tacoed with spokes everywhere. The guy is pretty apologetic about it, say's he'll fix it, and tries to give me $100 on the spot but I refuse.

I take it down to the LBS and they say they'll look it over, but point out that the rear triangle is bent, and say it would probably be more to replace it that it's worth. They say they'll probably end up bill saying it's worth the original price of purchase, which was about $1100. Now in the state I live in, any accident over $1000 requires a police report (which must be done within 5 days), but the offending party needs to file the report. I call the guy up, let him know it's going to be about that much, and tell him he needs to file a report. He gets real nervous and says he can't have this on his insurance because he just started working for the utility company. Say's he's going to be paying out of pocket but $1100 seems like way too much, and wants a second opinion.

Here's where I start to feel bad: the guy seemed to be a working-class-type person, and I never paid $1100 for the bike. Then again, I would never be able to find a similar-level bike for $250 again, and I did invest around $200 getting the bike fitted. So what do in this situation? Is it better to get police involved, or should I give the guy a break and ask for something in the middle?

Appreciate any input you guys have.

Pic mostly related, not my bike though
>>
God damn you faggot, this all could've been avoided if you didn't park in the sidewalk. But I digress don't fuck the guy for a little mistake in sure you can find a nice bike again for a neat price but at the same time you shouldn't just let him off the hook. Maybe you guys can compromise? I don't even know if this post will help I'm high asf love you op
>>
Shoulda just taken it to gool ol' fashioned barterin' and said "Alright, just give me $800 and we'll call it good"
>>
you should have gotten the cops involved right from the get go because now its your word vs theirs and they might just say fuck you.

$1100 really isnt that much even to us blue collar guys. Don't go thinking just because someone is blue collar that they are poor, some of us are making $200k/year... then again he could only be making 30-40k.

stop putting your stuff in stupid places
>>
what would you have done if the guy had gotten away and you were alone with this problem?

prob buy a good second hand frame (in good shape) and new wheels (you can save the hubs).. ask the guy for that + installation.. how much, 400 bucks? 500 maybe? explain to him it was a 1100 bike and that the frame is fucked and he can have it if he wants... thats it, be honest and treat him as a responsabile human beeing, no need for new shit and max spending, hes not a company.
>>
>>903032
You're a fucking faggot
Don't buy a late 2000s bike
Don't buy a carbon bike
Don't buy a bike with tiagra.
Don't leave your bike in reckless places
Don't trust your LBS
Don't pay for a bike fitting
Don't think that dollar amount means actual value
Don't fleece the guy for the bike. He doesn't really have to pay you in the first place.
Be straight forward with him and explain how much money you put into the bike. The actual fucking bike.
Tell him you spent 250 on it.
Tell him that it'll cost you 250 to get another decent used bike.

Don't act like you can expect anything out of life.
You're a fucking faggot.
>>
>>903062

I agree with some of what you wrote near the middle but I think you're a way bigger fucking faggot than OP and the truck driver combined.

Also it sounds like you have anger management issues or something. You should see a counselor./
>>
>>903032
thats what you get for not buying a steelbike
>>
Talk to his insurance company. Have no further contact with the driver.
>>
I don't have any advice but I respect that you are being courteous to the offending party. Some would just say fuck 'em and exact as much revenge as possible.
>>
Replacement frame will be $400 max. Replacement wheel, $100 max. Labour to switch everything over, $100 max. It was used when you got it so buy used replacement parts on CL or eBay. Settle with the guy for $600 and dump whatever LBS told you that. I'd say file the fucking insurance claim except that leaving your bike lying in a driveway is an exceptionally stupid thing to do. I'm not even sure it's really the truck driver's fault desu senpai
>>
File: can you believe this shit.gif (2 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
can you believe this shit.gif
2 MB, 280x210
>>903115
>Bicycle shop in the cyclist's corner
>Fucking assholes
Dump your life
>>
Working with him might actually be better for you. If you would be paying $1100 for an equivalent new bike, then there is no way the insurance agency is going to be paying out $1100 for a bike around 7 years old.

I would say scour your local craigslist, pawnshops, and LBSs for a 5 to 10 year bike of similar value see what its worth and ask for that much, get paid up front and move on.
>>
i'd hit him up for 500 or thereabouts - yeah, he fucked your bike but you got it cheap and there's plenty fo other cheap bikes out there.
Also, slightly your fault for leaving your fucking bike on it's side in a driveway - just saying.
>>
>>903195
LBS is just trying to make money here. Insurance claims are easy to get approved. It's also much easier for them to sell a new complete bike than to deal with the potential compatibility issues and old dirty parts.
>>
>>903032
>I leave the bike on its side in the driveway
Are you 12?
>>
>You put something in a driveway? You're at least 50% at fault
Would you say the same thing if the driver had run over a toddler?

Fucking cagers, get the fuck off my board.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: IMG_8105.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8105.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I'm not even sure why this is a dilemma for you? Why are you even considering bilking this guy for 1100?
Here's something you might want to try: Be honest and forthright in your dealings with others. Period.
Incidentally, being honest and forthright is exactly what the driver is doing. He crushed your bike and is willing to compensate you for it. Be fair with him in the same way he is being fair with you.
>>
>implying the company would not expect a new guy to fuck up that soon
Seriously, pretty much every company expects this of rookies, and especially ones where they operate big motor vehicles.
Just tell the guy to suck it up and report it.
>>
>>903065
this is 4chan, doggie
>>
OP here. A day after the incident the guy called and said he decided to report it to his company and now their insurance is handling it. Appreciate the help though guys.
>>
>>903378
Amen. Follow this anon's advice and we're all better off.
>>
>>903042
This, always call the cops, unless you black and you get shot when the guy says you stole his bike.

Cost of replacement is cost of replacement, period. If he wants to circumvent insurance, he's still paying the entire damn bill.
>>
>>903402
keep us updated, I am curious what the final outcome will be
>>
>>903402
Don't concede a millimetre to insurers. Simply provide them with the figure the LBS quoted and accept nothing less.
>>
>>903368
>leaving your toddler unsupervised in the driveway
Then it's entirely your fault.
>>
File: andrewholland.jpg (81 KB, 1321x991) Image search: [Google]
andrewholland.jpg
81 KB, 1321x991
>>903695
Let's not have this thread again, please
>>
>>903378
except if he doesnt file the claim he has no recourse and people are generally assholes anyway and if push comes to shove he would do the same to you if your dog bit him while he was delivering a new bike to someone
>>
Bank error in your favor:

Collect $1100
>>
>>903695
>It's irresponsible to allow your children to play outdoors on your own property
>Anyone violating your property with their murder cage need not exercise even the slightest modicum of care to what may already be on the property
CIDF get out
>>
The longer you wait the longer the other guy may reconsider his offer to compensate you.

If you have a bill of sale for the bike and its upgrades and photographs showing the damaged bike you're golden. Otherwise an insurance company might require some documentation, i.e. written repair estimates from three different bike stores, and then offer you the average. You might also be able to claim loss of use, again documentation like bus tickets, buying another bike, etc., are important.

One big difference is the guy might offer you some cash immediately in return for a release from further claims. Insurance companies may take a couple of months, even if everything goes in your favor.

Do you have any witnesses? If not, I would show the driver your three bike shop repair estimates and ask for maybe 2/3rd of that value and be willing to negotiate to 1/2.

If you have witnesses and can prove and quantify your lose then go with the full insurance claim. If the insurance argues or delays then you can escalate with small claims court. Hopefully you won't actually have to go to court, but when the insurance company sees the court paperwork they will become more responsive so that you drop the case.

My advice, your loss is relatively small, try to settle without involving insurance company shenanigans and courts.
>>
>>903783
Sorry, I didn't see the driver had reported to his company.

Collect as much evidence as you can. Evidence of what the driver did. Repair estimates from THREE different bike stores (hint: go to the expensive bikes in your area).

Insurance companies will try to chip away at your claim, it's like a game for them, and they have to win. So give them a claim with every single cost you can document. Claim that given the nature of the damage every part on your old bike could cracked or fatigued in such a way to pose a safety hazard - i.e. a total write off or a 100% loss. They will use every formula to reduce their settlement with you. Hopefully after they reduce your claim for one reason or another you'll still get enough to make up for your loss and frustration.

insurance companies are used to dealing with car damages and blue book values, so maybe their lack of familiarity with bicycles will work out to your favor.
>>
Look around craigslist, see what it would cost you to get a similar used bike (since you bought it used). Ask the guy for that price + $200 (since you paid $200 for the fitting the first time and probably want to do that again).
Find a bike on cl for $300? Ask the guy for $500. And explain how you came up with the 500 number
>>
>>903620
THIS
H
I
S
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.