[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Subway car keys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 15
File: furnacekeys.jpg (143 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
furnacekeys.jpg
143 KB, 1024x576
anyone have any information about subway car keys? apparently on some lines you get to be locked in for the duration of your ride for your own protection.

my sister who through her own mistaken life choices finds herself commuting on such trains to the manhattan financial district daily, does not necessarily want to be imprisoned with the other commuters.

what are her options?
>>
>>902836
What are you even talking about? Subway cars are not locked during operations, the doors are merely closed but they can very easily be forced open in case of emergencies.
>>
File: larger.jpg (16 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
larger.jpg
16 KB, 380x285
>>902837
did this resolution pass?
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20101214/manhattan/council-pushing-unlock-doors-between-subway-cars

i've been reading about it all day, my sources may not have caught up with reality but i think there are still cars that are locked. the side doors probably can be forced open, but not by my tiny sister.
>>
File: amd-subway-key-jpg.jpg (144 KB, 970x1225) Image search: [Google]
amd-subway-key-jpg.jpg
144 KB, 970x1225
wrong board i guess, hmmm, i'll have to look for a shiftier place to ask.

or ask mootwo for a lockbreaking board.
>>
File: picture-1.png (313 KB, 485x318) Image search: [Google]
picture-1.png
313 KB, 485x318
>>902839
That refers to the doors that allow travel between cars and not the side doors. Most trains don't have the gangway doors locked in order to allow passenger load to be spread across the train.

The MTA is planning to buy open gangway cars that will make the cars one big doorless hallway (see pic). But, if you're really worried about this and really want your sister to be able to move from car to car (why the hell do you care that much?) then tell her to stick to the IRT (numbered) lines. The doors aren't locked on those.
>>
File: zpswlsan4cc.jpg (79 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
zpswlsan4cc.jpg
79 KB, 576x1024
>>902848
she's worried about getting raped, probably irrationally, but christmas is coming and a little prepping i can get behind. the alternative is a donation to some tumblrina cause which i am less enthused about.

for curiosities sake how would i go about finding any single measurement to this key? BMT cab key or CTA key sans cut out?

and are the capchas on /n/ always trains?
>>
>>902853
>she's worried about getting raped, probably irrationally, but christmas is coming and a little prepping i can get behind. the alternative is a donation to some tumblrina cause which i am less enthused about.
Just point her to the MTA transit police. She can give them a call and they can tell her about all the gizmos they have in the stations and trains to avoid being raped. Maybe a cop telling her this kind of thing will reassure her enough to avoid this charade.

>for curiosities sake how would i go about finding any single measurement to this key? BMT cab key or CTA key sans cut out?
I doubt they use the same keys as cabs (and anyway they cary from train to train). So, sorry I can't help you with that.

>and are the capchas on /n/ always trains?
Nah.
>>
>>
>>902855
>cary
*vary
>>
Aren't the doors in the MTA usually unlocked anyway? People walk through them all the time.
>>
>>902836
Is she hot? Most women who worry about rape are actually uggos who are just delusionally flattering themselves.

Attractive women can't be raped, because they were asking for it, and you can't rape the willing.
>>
File: new-york-city-subway-crime-1960s.jpg (191 KB, 1200x1214) Image search: [Google]
new-york-city-subway-crime-1960s.jpg
191 KB, 1200x1214
>>903034
seems like some are and some aren't, i try to stay out of the city as much as possible so i've just started looking into the matter

>>903060
i dunno, moderately? but you make a fine point, so lets add disgruntled conductor, fire, and incidences of terrorism to the concerns.

i though exiting a subway car you were trapped in would be a more interesting subject, this is a pretty slow board. none of you are MTAfags on the down low? i heard a redditor was...
>>
>>903074
Honestly the doors are unlocked maybe 95% of the time. I pass through between cars on occasion and I can't remember the door ever being locked. Maybe it depends on the line.
>>
>>903096
R46 are always locked, sounds like you don't take the A, B, or D train
>>
>>902853
>alternative is a donation to some tumblrina cause
get her a knife and stab her with it
>>
File: R46 5746.jpg (30 KB, 398x298) Image search: [Google]
R46 5746.jpg
30 KB, 398x298
>>903133
so any idea what the locks look like? standard tumbler lock face like a front door lock? or maybe a slot for a skeleton key?
>>
First of all: she's never going to be commuting to the financial dist in an empty train. She will be packed like a sardine in a rolling tin can.

Second: Even if by some miracle she gets into an eerily empty car, she could sit in the middle cab with the second operator or all the way at the front.

I think you want these keys for other reasons... if she's this paranoid how does she even walk down the street at night? Maybe NYC isn't the place for her.
>>
File: 046224036869lg.jpg (5 KB, 276x276) Image search: [Google]
046224036869lg.jpg
5 KB, 276x276
>>903151
i like problem solving, it doesn't matter if it isn't really a problem.

your solution doesn't help in a disgruntled conductor scenario but i grant you if she's in an operator car she'll have as much freedom of movement as they do in case of emergency.

what nefarious purpose could i have for being curious about the locks on doors in between subway cars? worried i might be illegally trying to piss on the third rail? it's not like i'm looking for a master door controller.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=333041-143-PP24032
>>
Thought this was burgerland, can't you buy her a gun?
>>
File: Pouty-woman.jpg (397 KB, 565x850) Image search: [Google]
Pouty-woman.jpg
397 KB, 565x850
>>903184
not in NYC and not where she works.

also she would rather be killed than shoot anyone.

>mfw
>>
>>903074
Get her mace or a taser then. Either you are too paranoid and need to let her live her life, or she is too paranoid to be in new york.

If its an earthquake or cave in emergency, its better that you stay put since then emergency crews will know where your location.
As for terrorism, you have three likely scenarios.
1) Bombing like the 7/7/05 attacks in London. You would either be caught in the blast, or you should probably look to the transit authority or police to get you out of the tunnels.
2) Dirty bomb or biological attack, ala Sarin Gas in Japan. Again, I don't see how leaving the car would help. You are either fucked or you aren't, leaving the cab and getting lost in the tunnels doesn't make your situation better.
3) Active shooter(s). Organized terrorists would more likely open up in a station so they have escape routes if needed, and aren't locked in a box for the police to get to them.

I don't live in NYC, but I would assume muggers/rapists/mugapists would be an issue on the streets and not in the car itself. Other sexual predators would operate more like pickpockets, forcibly touching or flashing during crowded peak hours where they can melt into the crowd. Drunks and hobos are generally safe as long as you can tolerate the smell of piss,

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/daily-news-analysis-reveals-perverted-subway-stations-article-1.1836952
http://ltvsquad.com/2010/03/15/how-to-escape-from-a-subway-tunnel/
>>
File: Subway_party_toronto.jpg (62 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Subway_party_toronto.jpg
62 KB, 320x240
>>903212
i'm hearing a lot of "we can't help you, so don't worry about it"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/world/europe/16london.html?pagewanted=all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daegu_subway_fire
>Transcripts show Choi Sang-yeol made three announcements advising passengers in train 1080 to remain seated while he attempted to reach superiors. Finally, he was advised "Quickly, run somewhere else. Go up... kill the engine and go." Choi then opened the doors and fled, but in doing so he removed the master key, shutting down the onboard batteries that powered the train doors — effectively sealing passengers inside.

it just seemed like a cool christmas gift to me

well ok a/n/ons, what shall it be instead? a fat campaign contribution to hillary? cut a check to mom's demand action? maybe some pro syrian refugee group, or perhaps somolian refugees, she likes somolians, can never have enough somolians.
>>
>>903218
It sounds like those are all good options, also check out kiva.org or heifer international, they the old stand bys for me.
>>
>>903222
already got her a cow for some 3rd worlders last year. or it might have been a water buffalo, they just spend it on whatever they feel like anyway.
>>
Ask /diy/ to make you a 3D model of one and print it
>>
File: guntech.jpg (249 KB, 1296x729) Image search: [Google]
guntech.jpg
249 KB, 1296x729
>>903229
that's pretty funny too because i made her a printer three? years ago. she never used it.
>>
>>903232

...you made her a printer?
>>
>>903184
>a gun
>Just one
Dohohoho that's rich.
>>
File: 1410013363753.png (1 MB, 1019x881) Image search: [Google]
1410013363753.png
1 MB, 1019x881
What? Don't answer this guy's questions he's obviously a terrorist.
>>
File: 32.jpg (95 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
95 KB, 960x540
>>903258
would a terrorist have a kebab remover rocker?
go ask /k/
>>
File: train3_bg.jpg (54 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
train3_bg.jpg
54 KB, 400x300
but i'll leave you all be, this hasn't been very train related. sorry.
>>
>>903218
They don't have EDRs in Korea?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.