[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh looky! A dead board! Which city do you live in and is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: Dallas.jpg (27 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
Dallas.jpg
27 KB, 500x328
Oh looky! A dead board!

Which city do you live in and is it awesome to cyclists?

>Dallas
>No
>>
>Ghent
>Cyclists rule this city

Not quite to the extent as you see in the Netherlands, and taxi drivers are (of course) still cunts.
>>
>Edmonton
>Fairly awesome, at least in the core.
>>
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 500x500
>>902244
>NYC
>Like pretty much everything else in this city, the answer is both yes and no.
Pros: Lots of bike lanes, lots of cyclists.
Cons: Streets are always in horrendous condition and motorists like to use the bike lanes as parking spaces. Drivers are insane but at least they know to watch out for cyclists.
>>
File: Miami.png (2 MB, 898x899) Image search: [Google]
Miami.png
2 MB, 898x899
>Miami
>Shit

Hit and run is a our city's most hallowed tradition.
>>
>>902244
>Portland
>Sort of shit

It's alright but it's nothing like people hype it to be.
>>
https://youtu.be/BsKeRZiRxUs

Good until you reach speeds above 20km/h. At that point its time to start riding on the roads, way too many joggers and slow cyclists. Motorists are ok for the most part, except pickups and old women driving bmws. About 88km of paths in the city, and a dedicated pathway 30+ km that connects to another town going east

They will build another pathway that connects to another town west of the city. One could ride a century just on pathways if they go from a town to the other and back.maybe 200km even
>>
>Houston
>not in a million years
>>
>>902267

I've seen alleycat race videos in NYC and cars never go faster than the bikers, plus lanes are wide as shit. Yet people always complain about how terrible the city is for cycling. If they came to Santiago they'd have a panic attack.
>>
>Birmingham
>I S'pose
>>
File: where memes go to die.jpg (49 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
where memes go to die.jpg
49 KB, 450x300
>>902330
Chile?

>Tucson
Like most other places yes and no but more leaning towards shit. Bike lanes are skinny as fuck in places and the city just expects cyclist to swerve around garbage and potholes. Outside the city its pretty cool alot of scenic desert.
>>
Venice/Santa Monica

Cyclist paradise.

>cool, refreshing weather (living near da coast n shit)
>dedicated bike lanes errywhere
>biker friendly campuses
>cycling facilities (repair stations, lockers)
>fixies and pro's live in harmony - each have their own areas/routes
>motorists know what's the deal and, for the most part, yield to cyclists and offer plenty of space when passing
>fine bitches in cruisers and fixies errywhere
>night ride meetups literally everywhere
>food trucks, taco stands, and food "districts" at convenient locations (Marina, Pier, Venice, Culver)

baka i feel sorry for most of you
>>
>>902330
I live in Stgo and even though I recognize it isn't the best place to have and use a bike regularly, it does have plenty of cycling paths, local and national government kind of sort of cares about people using bikes and there's plenty of NGO's and such that promote bike use. The city is far from being perfect in that regard but I don't believe it'd give you a "panic attack".

I use my bike daily and aside from the streets in downtown which are pretty narrow, everything else can be traversed without going through much hardhsip.
>>
> Dublin, potatoland.

>I don't know.
>>
>>902372

Oh come on, bike paths in Santiago are fucking awful. They're all either destroyed, full of glass shards, too narrow, or with trees and shit right in the middle.

I was talking more about riding on the street though. Lanes are narrower and cars go faster. Some years ago when every country was reducing top speeds in urban areas, Santiago fucking RAISED them.
>>
File: ac7[1].png (18 KB, 644x644) Image search: [Google]
ac7[1].png
18 KB, 644x644
Its painfully obvious that the mods that moderate /n/ are;
slow
retarded
not suited for the job
outnumbered
lazy af
Absolutely not suited for the job
doing it 4 free
>>
>>902390
The bike rental scheme in the city centre is pretty good, but the infrastructure for cycling in most areas are shit. It's gotten far better in the last 5 years though.
>>
>Vancouver
>yes
>>
>>902244
Mt. Vernon, WA
Hell yes. The valley is awesome for your road cycling with easy access to bomb ass trails for anything else.
>>
File: FromCragmoor.jpg (41 KB, 1470x619) Image search: [Google]
FromCragmoor.jpg
41 KB, 1470x619
Colorado Springs is a paradise for all kinds of recreational cycling, but a hellscape of sprawl that discourages cycling for transportation.
>>
Phoenix
Maybe one day when I want to kill myself I will consider it.
>>
>>902244

Hey Dallas buddy, what part of town you in?

Haven't ridden in a bit since I got my tire stuck in a DART track on Zang and I decided to do my best Superman impression and I almost died.
>>
File: 5133801801_54d7ee2889_b.jpg (517 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
5133801801_54d7ee2889_b.jpg
517 KB, 1024x680
>>902244 (OP)

> Vancouver, B.C.
I really don't think any other medium-sized city in NA can beat us on either cycling infrastructure or public acceptance of cycling. It punches above its weight too because there are many cities larger than Vancouver that are very bike/pedestrian unfriendly (e.g. Seattle, LA, Chicago).

The only thing that I think could make cycling in Vancouver better was if city council legalized Uber. Sometimes you really don't want to carry groceries on a bike or on transit, and having to rely on car2go/Zipcar/modo is a P.I.T.A.
>>
>>902486
>I really don't think any other medium-sized city in NA can beat us on either cycling infrastructure or public acceptance of cycling
Ottawa/Gatineau and Montréal would probably give Vancouver a run for its money.

>The only thing that I think could make cycling in Vancouver better was if city council legalized Uber.
There are these things called 'taxis' ya know.
>>
File: image[1].jpg (224 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
224 KB, 960x540
>>902486
we have bike lanes and Uber here in Toronto
>>
File: Floating01.jpg (146 KB, 720x542) Image search: [Google]
Floating01.jpg
146 KB, 720x542
>México city
>Like 8 cyclists killed by cagers this week.
mfw
>>
>>902496
>we have bike lanes
No you don't. Cycling infrastructure in Toronto is nothing when compared to most of iss peers.
>>
>>902489
>>902489
> Ottawa/Gatineau and Montréal would probably give Vancouver a run for its money.

Montreal is a medium sized city? Shit, guess the fact that Greater Montreal's population is the same as the Puget Sound's, and Metro Vancouver's is the same as Sacramento or Charlotte, NC means nothing. Also Ottawa has really cold winters, humid summers, sprawling freeways (like the Queensway) and the terrible OC Transpo system that makes getting around on bike a little tougher.

> There are these things called 'taxis' ya know.

Fuck taxi companies, both for ripping off the customer, and for using their political influence to keep Uber out of Vancouver. There needs to be a shakeup in the industry, an injection of competition.
>>
>>902496

And a cripped public transportation infrastructure thanks to the legacy of Mike Harris/Ontario PCs and Ford Nation's systematic destruction of any non-car transport infrastructure to placate the CPC-voting 905 belt suburbanites. All those years David Miller spent negotiating Transit City, for naught. John Tory is only continuing the legacy, Kathleen Wynne doesn't give a shit as long as the Ontario government keeps getting kickbacks from ATU 113, and Patrick Brown's transit policy is Tim Hudak's, but worse.

Not only does transit in Toronto suck, not only is it a sprawling city, not only does the climate suck, but there's no permanent east-west bike route (like Eglinton/Bloor/Danforth), the Richmond-Adelaide bike lanes aren't done, and the West Toronto/Queen's Quay bikeways aren't done yet either.

Lotusland reks T.O.'s shit for cycling.
>>
>>902505
>Montreal is a medium sized city?
Yeah? It's half the size of the of the Seattle CSA.

>Also Ottawa has really cold winters, humid summers, sprawling freeways (like the Queensway) and the terrible OC Transpo system that makes getting around on bike a little tougher.
Weather is completely irrelevant in this discussion. In terms of raw numbers Ottawa still has massive amounts of cycling infrastructure.
Ottawa literally only has one freeway (and some connected spurs) going through it. It's not exactly something that would give Robert Moses a wet dream. OC Transpo isn't by any means terrible either. The Transitway (which is in the process of being converted into a subway) is reliable and most trunk routes are frequent and reliable.

>Fuck taxi companies, both for ripping off the customer, and for using their political influence to keep Uber out of Vancouver. There needs to be a shakeup in the industry, an injection of competition.
Letting a multinational law breaking 'ride-sharing' company into the market won't do shit in the long run. Reform the existing framework if you must but don't let those monopolistic Silicon Valley yupies replace locally owned businesses with their shifty grey market crap.
>>
>>902511
>>>/pol/ is that way Mulcair.
>>
>>902515

Sorry, Garneau. I'm not interested in trying to fit in with /pol/, cherrypicking statistics to make a point that white Europeans are systematically subjugated by kike fuccboi niggers.

>>902515

> Weather is completely irrelevant in this discussion.

You're right, I apologize. (And I'm not trying to shitpost here.) I was thinking more about "overall experience cycling" rather than "total cycling infrastructure". As for OC Transpo, I always thought TransLink blew it out of the water, especially after municipal amalgamation and Larry O'Brien's suburban reign of terror.

I like the Gatineau Parkway, but Innes around 417 sucks. Although, that's more suburban/rural, apples to oranges.

By the way, I meant population, not area. Greater Montreal and the Puget Sound are both 3.8-3.9 million. Metro Vancouver is 2.5 million, the same as the metro areas of Charlotte, San Antonio, Sacramento and Cleveland. No matter how you slice it, Vancouver is not a "big" city. You'd think cities with larger populations than Vancouver (like LA or Chicago) would have good biking infrastructure, but not always.

> Letting a multinational law breaking 'ride-sharing' company into the market won't do shit in the long run. Reform the existing framework if you must but don't let those monopolistic Silicon Valley yupies replace locally owned businesses with their shifty grey market crap.

Is your issue with the snooty startups that are straight out of HBO's Silicon Valley, or with Uber specifically?

I actually agree with you, somewhat. I'd like to see taxi regulations reformed like they did in Ireland. Uber came in, and the taxi companies were forced to compete: http://www.thejournal.ie/taxis-dublin-ecab-mobile-app-2381423-Oct2015/

The problem is, it will be up to the municipalities and provinces to implement reforms. And they've shown through their actions that they couldn't care less about competition. Though the recent recommendations by the Competition Bureau are encouraging.
>>
File: sedfsfgwgv.jpg (188 KB, 958x1066) Image search: [Google]
sedfsfgwgv.jpg
188 KB, 958x1066
>Melbourne
>Yes
>>
>>902520
>>902519
Stop double posting ffs.
>>
>>902520
>I was thinking more about "overall experience cycling" rather than "total cycling infrastructure".
Fair enough.

>As for OC Transpo, I always thought TransLink blew it out of the water, especially after municipal amalgamation and Larry O'Brien's suburban reign of terror.
Nah. TransLink might have a better rapid transit network (for now anyway, the LRT network will make things much better) but OC Transpo is still an OK system. Everybody from suburbanites to city dwellers want transit in this city over public transit in this city mostly revolves about where to prioritize resources rather than whether or not we should have a comprehensive transit system in the first place. Even that prick O'Brien wanted some form of rapid transit (side note: the prat had the audacity to show up at the ground breaking ceremony for the current LRT project despite his history with the transit strike and the 900 million LRT transit cancellation fuck up).

>By the way, I meant population, not area. Greater Montreal and the Puget Sound are both 3.8-3.9 million. Metro Vancouver is 2.5 million, the same as the metro areas of Charlotte, San Antonio, Sacramento and Cleveland. No matter how you slice it, Vancouver is not a "big" city. You'd think cities with larger populations than Vancouver (like LA or Chicago) would have good biking infrastructure, but not always.
Alright then. I wasn't aware that the Montréal metro had actually passed the 3.5 million mark but then again that might be because I don't really perceive off-island communities to be part of Montréal in my mind. The Québec government really needs to go back to the "no freeway construction" policy they had under the Lévesque government to curb off island subruban growth.
>>
>>902520
>Is your issue with the snooty startups that are straight out of HBO's Silicon Valley, or with Uber specifically?
My problem with Uber is how shifty they are. The fact that they live in this legal grey zone and selectively decide to own or disown their drivers/employees or to brand themselves as a taxi company or as a 'ride-sharing' service doesn't inspire confidence in their ethics.
I understand the frustrations with customers when it comes to the current framework but I don't want to see one institutionalized monopoly replaced by another one.
If people back Uber solely because they're angry at the status quo then I fear they'll be sorely disapointed when they find out Uber will probably replace the existing the existing monopoly with their own monopoly because, if we theorize on their past actions, Uber will probably behave horribly once they're given free reign over a city.

The pressure they've put on the existing system is good but I hope that the municipal and provincial authorities will simply continue to re-evaluate and reform the current framework instead of creating an alternate set of rules for Uber like some cities already have (fuck the level playing field, amirite?).
The Irish approach sounds good and I hope we'll go down that route.
>>
File: sanJose.jpg (210 KB, 645x458) Image search: [Google]
sanJose.jpg
210 KB, 645x458
>>902244
>San Jose
>No, only downtown.

Besides downtown there are a lot of awesome trails, but you have to get to them in the suburbs somehow.
>>
>>902292
don't worry you will be under water soon. Boats will take over
>>
>>902244

>DC Area
>Expanding bike share to suburban Maryland and Virginia
>Has a nice network of trails and an increase in bike lanes
>Suburban folks growing in favor of more trails and lanes

While there are still issues between drivers and cyclists, the DC area has become a better place for bikes.
>>
>Cambridge
>Yes
Cambridge is almost too bike friendly. As cagers we know that bikes own cambridge and drive accordingly but since every dumb dick and sally hops on a bike here you get people that do not integrate well with traffic. Everything works until you get the cyclists that just do whatever they fucking want. Theres also cagers that dont follow the bikers rule mentality and that pisses me off too. Its like an unwritten rule that if youre straddling the lane of oncoming traffic to get around a biker that the other cars move towards the curb to give you room but every once in awhile you get an asshole who doesnt move (I have even had people steer towards me) and now I am sandwiched between a cyclist and opposite direction traffic. Work van drivers are the worst
>>
>>902397
Yeah, besides from rush hours cars can go pretty fast in the main avenues. However at 6pm gridlock it's pretty much great if you take the leftmost lane, taking the rightmost will always make you have to fight with transantiago which can be pretty scary if you're not used to it.

Yeah, it's not perfect but in South American standards it's pretty good, if not the best. Try going down any street in any city in Venezuela and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Even Buenos Aires is pretty dreadful for cyclists, at least in my experience. I'll be going thus week over to Valparaiso via Lo Vasquez on bike, I'm excited to see how good/bad other cities in Chile are in regards to cycling.
>>
>>903369

You're right. I went to Peru last year and traffic was pure chaos.

I'm going to Lo Vasquez too, make sure you Strava your ride!
>>
File: 145442__D3X3596.jpg (265 KB, 1001x638) Image search: [Google]
145442__D3X3596.jpg
265 KB, 1001x638
Ventura County, Ca.
Hell yeah. The Tour of California has come within 20 miles of my house the past two years. The climbs through the Santa Monica Mountains are great, as is cruising along the ocean through Malibu. Pic related is this year's tour, between Baclom and Grimes. Rode through there last Saturday.
>>
>>903382

Muh nigga. Cycling though Malibu via PCH is a dream.
>>
>>903379
I definitely will. Have a great trip as well! Have you done this route before? How accesible is water along the way? Will 500ml-1lt of water be enough or should I take more?
>>
>>902244
malmö, sweden

wouldnt say awesome, thought compared to americities it would be. it is quite bike friendly
>>
>>903393

Went last year, started in Santiago, got to the temple, and came straight back. There's a water stop about halfway through, I was carrying two 500ml bottles and managed just fine, even though I went during daytime under the scorching sun. Going during the night this time.
>>
>Austin
>Mostly awesome
>>
>>902267
>also NYC

Bike lanes exist but they don't connect well. Getting around in decent time is hard without breaking a few traffic laws. I've seen a lot of asshole cyclists who think they own the road. Then there are many citibike guys who like to ride on the sidewalk/in the wrong direction of traffic
>>
>Dallas suburb
>rated in the top 50 in the US
>I've been run off the road several times in the last year
>absolutely no
>>
>>903405
Yeah me too, going with a group of friends starting at 21:00, although we'll be going on to Valpo. Did you find the climb at the tunnel very difficult or is it manageable?
>>
>>903441

Nothing too terrible, like your average San Cristobal climb but with a constant headwind.
>>
>>902501
commuting by bike in toronto is fucking brutal.
>>
>>903436
Citibike users are often cagers for whom a citibike is a fun and quick foray into cycling.

I hate them because they're oblivious and irresponsible, but they don't know they're being irresponsible, and it lets cagers experience what it's like to be on 2 wheels. So for that I can't hate the citibike program too much. Next time that cager is in a position to murder me and get away with it, maybe she won't.
>>
Bismarck, North Dakota.

The only other cyclists here have DUI's.
>>
>>902253
Lloydminster sadly representing
>>
>>902338
Broadway has gotten some improvements earlier this year and their trying to extend the bikeways loop as long as your stops are the research parks near the 'river'.
>>
>>903441

So how did it go? I rode with a friend up until ~20kms before Casablanca then his rear hub got stuck, rendering the bike useless. Had to ride back home by myself. Still, 120kms, not too shabby.

https://www.strava.com/activities/446276176
>>
>>905160
>Abusing SI prefixes and unit symbols
No good. Read the SI Brochure and try again.
>>
>>905172

S-sorry Brochure-kun
>>
>>902317
same :(

H-tine hol' it dine
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.