[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board dead? Time to liven it up I guess. Will biking give me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: Bike_Meme_Guy.jpg (145 KB, 457x637) Image search: [Google]
Bike_Meme_Guy.jpg
145 KB, 457x637
Board dead? Time to liven it up I guess. Will biking give me this body?
>>
>>902239
/n/ has its own pace and doesn't need shit posts to move it along.

In any case your question belongs on ---> /fit/.
>>
Confirmed shitpost, but no it won't.
It will allow you to be lean enough to have such muscle definition - but it won't give you a great torso like that.
>>
not wearing those shoes it wont.

if you spend some time out of the saddle you'll work your abs, lats, and some biceps and in the saddle you'll get massive triceps and some shoulders.
plus [spoiler alert] legs and bum [/derp]

but you'll still have an ugly head.
>>
>>902239

You can tell that guy is not a serious and/or long-time cyclist.
>>
>>904152
No I can't.
>>
>>904137
Somebody doesn't go fast
>>
>>902239
Like they said over in /fit/
No, he is a model named Nick Bateman... Bike riding wont give you that body.
>>
>>902239
>Board dead? Time to liven it up I guess. Will biking give me this body?
nope
(most) bicycling is an endurance sport, like running. you get scrawny from doing it a lot

the semi-exception is velodrome/sprinting, but they don't get those huge thighs from riding, they get them from weightlifting and not riding a lot
>>
A person pedalling a bike uses energy more efficiently than a gazelle or an eagle, so, as someone already said, biking is too efficient to help you burn 'lots' of calories / gain muscle.
>>
>>904226
>Cycling is too efficient to expend energy with
I know what you mean m8, every time I try to burn some kilojoules on my bicycle, my speed increases to c before I even break a sweat, preventing me from going any faster and expending more energy. Damn this efficiency!
>>
>>904261
He's still not wrong.

You're burning far more calories just being alive than you are biking.
It takes more energy to power your kidneys than it does to ride a bike, even at sanic pace.
You aren't expending anything on a net scale.

Most exercise is that way, though.
Otherwise nobody would be fat.
>>
>>904299
Top b8, i r8 8/10
>>
>>904226
Woah anon! Link me that YouTube URLs. I wanna see these bicycle riding eagles and gazelles
>>
>>904299
I thought the rule of thumb was 2.5 miles of biking is equal to 1 mile of running? If you can bike even at 15 mph then you'll be burning calories easily.
>>
>>904299
Nope. Just look up what an average pro cyclist eats during a big tour like the TDF. Puts even a dedicated hamplanet to shame, and they still lose weight.

Of course your average fatty on his half hour casual loop round the block won´t need that much energy. But its possible to burn huge amounts of calories if you are trained for it. Eating right is a big part for all endurance sports. Even a halfway serious cyclist can easily double his calory requirements if he spends a day on the bike.
>>
>>904331
Ok anon, let's not group ourselves into pro riders that are 30+ years old. My cycling computer says 100km is like. 300 calories for 25kilometers an hour average.
>>
>>904326
That seems a bit overgeneralized. Riding a bike can be as high intensity as short-distance running, or even less taxing on your energy than walking for the same amount of time.
>>
>>902257
>you'll get "massive" triceps from cycling in the saddle
/n/ everybody
>>
>>904358
you've never riden a bike. if you did you'll know that you should keep your elbows bent to absorb vibrations and also to be a bit aero. never ride with locked elbows.

thank me later for this free advice when you've finished fapping to pics of toy trains.
>>
>>904333
>Mixing unit systems
>Abusing SI prefixes and unit symbols
>Misspelling SI unit names
No wonder you spew such nonsense. Please ensure that you peruse the SI Brochure once more as soon as is practicable.
>>
>>904280
Isn't swimming also good for that?

Also how is table tennis low impact, you're running back and forth over short distances, right?
>>
File: _20151209_083057.jpg (174 KB, 1650x739) Image search: [Google]
_20151209_083057.jpg
174 KB, 1650x739
>>904333
Maybe if you go downhill with a speed of a bored chinchilla.
>>
>>904333
there is no such thing as kilometers
>>
>>904364
Somehow, you're response to
>>you'll get "massive" triceps from cycling in the saddle
is
>you've never riden a bike. if you did you'll know that you should keep your elbows bent to absorb vibrations and also to be a bit aero.
Are you serious? Do you honestly think that because you put some moderate (and I'm being generous with that adjective here) strain on your triceps due to nonlocked elbows you'll get triceps development?
Guess driving a car also gives you huge deltoids because of all that wheel turning and huge quads due to that pedal pushing. Let's not forget the bulging biceps that is sure to impress all the ladies which you'll get from eating by lifting the fork from the table to your mouth.
>>
>>902257
What's wrong with the shoes?
>>
>>904887
I wouldn't say I fully agree with the other guy but I can add my own experience. During the summer months I bury the roadbike deep within my bike closet and take out the mountain bike for some trail riding. Riding steep technical trails all day can at least give your arms a good workout. During fall/winter my upper body is scrawny while I focus on roadbiking and endurance. Then spring/summer my upper body gets nicely toned with the gnar DH and jumps.
>>
>>902252
It will if you ride a bmx, you just wont have much in terms of cardio. Thats why my house is filling up with bikes.
>>
>>904137
> 5 hours a week
Thats bitch made
>>
File: me.png (504 KB, 533x709) Image search: [Google]
me.png
504 KB, 533x709
>>902239
pic related is a more realistic cyclist's bod.
>>
>>904326
Biking takes about 1/3 the energy of walking. A 9 mile bike ride at 10mph uses about the same energy as a 3 mile walk at a normal pace.

It's better than nothing, but it's typically nowhere near enough to see any gains.
>>
>>906116
skinny and weak, got it.
>>
File: froome_arms.jpg (145 KB, 620x780) Image search: [Google]
froome_arms.jpg
145 KB, 620x780
>>906119
you havent seen shit yet
>>
>>906127
kekek, yeah I seen froome and 90% of the front runners of the tdf and could hardly believe they are able to hold themselves up on their bikes... seriously most people with no arm work have bigger arms.
>>
>>906116
>>906116
Hmm. I can see this turning into a hookup thread, mi familia. Where are you located, anon? To be quite honest, you look good enough to eat. ;)
>>
>>906142
this is a cycling board not a gay sex board
>>
>>906143
>gay sex board

But i'm a girl, silly. Girl's like to ride bikes too, you know. (and cute guys) ;)
>>
>>906144
there are no girls on the internet, and with this board being as slow as it is I now think you are just replying to your own picture... kind of pathetic really
>>
>>904364
>if you keep your arms in the same position for a long time you'll get big muscles
>>
>>902239
/lgbt is that way pal.
>>
>>902239
Starting from what? If you have muscles underneath and want to trim up, maybe.

But if you look like a fat bastard to begin with than no. you will most likely look like a normal person with thicker legs.

It will however make you feel great, and save your ass money compared to other hobbies, like owning a sports car and getting diabetes.
>>
>>904364
Dumb post bro
Even pro sprinters who actually need those muscles don't train them on the bike.
>>
>>902248

This exact thread is posted almost daily on /fit/. It's extremely stale bait and we don't want it back.
>>
>>906144
>using emoticons to make your post sound girly
it's not 2006 any more mate
>>
>>902239
If you can catch and club him in the head.
>>
>>904459
>>904390
wtf are you two retards talking about
>>
File: tri athelete.jpg (23 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
tri athelete.jpg
23 KB, 320x320
>>909708
Dumb logic sis.
Maybe you sit too far back and have no weight on your arms. But when you're leaning forward and supporting some weight with your arms and have elbows bent then your triceps are going adapt.
>>
>>910407
Read the SI Brochure. It will change your life.
>>
>>906145
>there are no girls on the internet
I never thought I'd see that meme again after 2007.
>>
File: Sir-Chris-Hoy.jpg (173 KB, 1700x1224) Image search: [Google]
Sir-Chris-Hoy.jpg
173 KB, 1700x1224
>>909708
Sir Chris Hoy requests that you dine on a dick this evening.
>>
>>902257
>you'll get massive triceps and some shoulders.

post a pic of your massive tris and shoulders from riding a bike lmao, if anything, it'll make you smaller, especially if you're serious enough to cut weight and not lift weights for upper body lmao.

Riding a bike for arms is retarded, you wouldn't do bench press with 2 pound dumbbells for 5 hours straight and expect to get big shoulders and chest would you? this is exactly what it's like supporting you body on a bicycle...
>>
>>902239
no, but you will get ED and never have a full erection for as long as you live. Studies show just 3 hours a week on a bike is caput for your captn john and his loyal seamen.
>>
>>913359
Friday i had a boner for hours looking at a cam girl. She was an anal freak. I could not leave the house. Girl was amazing. Tfw i fapped like 6 times that day. Dick was so sore
>>
>>913354
Endurance no. Track/sprinting you use upper body to power down. That muscle comes at a price, extra mass, needs more blood and power becomes drained. I am 6,2. 190 lbs. I suck at endurance, decent sprinter.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (28 KB, 748x421) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
28 KB, 748x421
>>913353
That's a sprinter. Sprinters work out all their muscles in the gym because they contribute to their explosiveness.
Same thing with sprinters in athletics, pic related. Are you now going to argue that running fast gets you huge delts and traps?
>>
>>913368
Wouldn't upper body muscle help with climbing on a hike as well, since you're standing up out of the saddle and have to use your arms to counteract the forces you're putting through the pedals?
>>
>>906143
>cycling board
>gay sex board

pick two
>>
>>913378
Enough upper body endurance to hold your bod up for a while, but remember, the more upper body you have the harer it'll be to climb.. and the more you'll have to support.

You do'nt really need much size or strength in upper bod because 90% of it is on your legs no matter what.
>>
>>913378
what he said>>913396
Best climbers in the world would not be good furniture movers.
>>
>>902239
>>
>>913453
>mirin' huge triceps
t. that retard who posted earlier
>>
Is it worth lifting weights to maintain upper body muscle mass while using cycling as your main method of exercise? Is it possible to perhaps make strength gains while lifting and cycling at the same time?
>>
>>913474

Yes.
Up to a certain point, yes.
>>
>>913474
Yes.
Yes, provided you eat enough.
>>
>>913474
Just do a little bit of everything in the gym... It's.Not like cycling hits all of your leg muscles evenly. You will notice it when you go to squat and you struggle to control the weight on the downward motion but have no trouble bringing it back up. I personally care more about over all strength than I do about looks or being a good climber or speed in general.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.