[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Power meter thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: ISO+LR_Black+Matte.png (46 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
ISO+LR_Black+Matte.png
46 KB, 500x281
Whatcha guys think of this?

http://www.powerpodsports.com/

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/first-powerpod-power.html

I just ordered one. It seems to be the cheapest option and easily transferable between bikes.
>>
I often think it would be neat to put a power meter on my fat bike, since it is the bike I put out the most power on.

>crawling up hill 7 kph, 190 bpm HR, Strava says I'm putting out 20W
>>
File: come at me bro.jpg (256 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
come at me bro.jpg
256 KB, 1024x682
>>
flaws of this according to thread are not so accurate readings in gravel. as the default roling resistance is set to ashphalt.

you can set the rolling resist to whatever in the software however. but wont'recognise during rides. Not a problem if you ride road which I do 99% of the time.

Other than that it is pretty accurate and follows the other power meter brands closely when compared side to side.
>>
>>901649
that imperfect bar tape job..
>>
That's not really a power meter, the real crank/hub meters have a strain gauge. This is just estimating the power like Strava does. The price isn't that great either when you can get a lightly used Stages for around $500.
>>
File: uh oh.jpg (13 KB, 188x276) Image search: [Google]
uh oh.jpg
13 KB, 188x276
>>901656
tfw you unwind your bar tape at the elbow of the bar trying to clean it and now it looks like that
>>
>>901670
dont feel bad anon, when I had bontager bar tape it would loosen up all the time and have gaps, after the 4th time rewrapping it I just get rid of it and got some prologo tape and made sure it was super tight when I wrapped it the 1st time.
>>
File: powerpod.png (70 KB, 1024x280) Image search: [Google]
powerpod.png
70 KB, 1024x280
Is this a shill?
>>
File: image121.png (65 KB, 1024x273) Image search: [Google]
image121.png
65 KB, 1024x273
Looks to be not even as accurate as Stravawatts, and with their system it's basically unusable off road, I'll pass
>>
File: 1349439419941.jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1349439419941.jpg
16 KB, 400x400
>>901638
>watchya guys think of this?
I just wonder why companies even bother when Stages BTFO out of every other competitor?
>>
>>901738
> cherrypicking
I would bet that a large chunk of power meter sales are from roadies.
>>
>>901709
It's some decent Masi cork tape. Getting pretty ratty anyways, had it on quite awhile and crashed on it a few times.
>>
>>901751
OP here, actually havent ordered yet but am gonna do it today. CONVINCE ME NOT TO IF YOU WANT. Stop being a fuck wit >>901718

that is an offroad graph on the gravel, who the hell rides on gravel anyway. and if its just for a short segment to get to the real rides then i dont give a shit
>>
File: 1352143189201.jpg (34 KB, 292x292) Image search: [Google]
1352143189201.jpg
34 KB, 292x292
>>901761
Power meters only have to be accurate relative to itself, if its what you can afford at the moment and it suits your needs, you should go for it. Every powermeter has its pros and cons desu senpai
>>
>>901769
>Power meters only have to be accurate relative to itself
Sure, but this one isn't, specifically on different road, altitude, and wind conditions. Most valuable thing a power meter provides you with is instantaneous output readings that are independent of the other variables. Lets say I do my training at sea level on smooth roads then go to a race at 7k feet on rough roads, a crank or hub power meter will measure my exact output so I can carefully pace myself on long climbs or over the course of the race. If the power meter is 30w low or high it's not only useless, it's a detriment if you actually trust it, even if it's exactly 30 watts or 10% off true power. I would much rather go on heart rate alone than use the power meter in the OP.
>>
>>901769
I can kinda afford a stages but I am stingy + this looks reasonable and can be moved from bike to bike in an instant.
>>
>>901761
>>901769
>i dont ride in the drops
>>
I'd get a power meter if it wasn't for the cost. I'd rather have a cheap HRM really. Still gives me the data I want.
>>
>>901779
hm... all this is giving me second thoughts
>>
>>901779
What does riding in the drops have to do with a power meter?
>>
>>901786
Aerodynamic resistance changes affect the accuracy of this type of meter. It makes guesses based on a single resistance value, if you're resistance changes via changing position or drafting then the reading will be off.
>>
>>901787
man where is the cheapest online stages power meter? they are so expensive... not many on the ebay used market
>>
>>901644
>>901776
>Abusing SI prefixes and unit symbols
Please re-read the SI Brochure.

>>901754
>The usage cases for this product are limited compared to its competitors
>jej u pick cherries
No faggot, he's just highlighting a disadvantage of the product.
>>
>>901821
hey you should start using a trip
>>
>>901830
I don't see any need to.
>>
>>901831
I would like you too so you are easier to filter anon
>>
>>901832
Just filter:
>Please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
>>901788

There's usually a few on pinkbike for around $500 or less. The double arm Stages are coming soon so the single arm models are going to get cheaper.
>>
>>901922
thanks for letting me know. I wonder how much cheaper, aussie weak dollar isnt helping. will decide by 5th dec if i am gonna get this powerpod because I have a discoutn code for it atm.
>>
>>901751
Except when the company goes out of business for having to send out about 3 warranty units for every unit sold
>>
>>901832
Reducing the number of people exposed to pertinent corrections on the correct use of SI units, prefixes and non-SI units accepted for use with the SI as prescribed within the SI Brochure runs contrary to my aims. Why would I trip to make it easier for people to ignore me?

>>901867
Please don't do this, now I will have to vary the instruction I give to those who use SI units, prefixes and non-SI units accepted for use with the SI in a manner inconsistent with the practices described within the SI Brochure in a way that will result less clear and concise prose.
>>
>>901979
You must be bored out of your brains. Go outside and ride your bike
>>
>>901967
They're not losing money anyway, those plastic units they attach to crank arms cost 10$ each max and all they have to do is change the unit and reinstall it on the crankarm.
>>
>>901754
>what are cobbles
>>
>>902005
In most warranty cases ive seen come through they just send out a whole new crank arm. Not even factoring in the huge secondhand market of people who are sick of their shit products and just sell them on bicycle market
>>
>>901821

>Placing the comma incorrectly
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.