[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why shouldn't I buy a used carbon fiber bicycle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: trekremedy7.jpg (176 KB, 1490x1080) Image search: [Google]
trekremedy7.jpg
176 KB, 1490x1080
Why shouldn't I buy a used carbon fiber bicycle?
>>
>>900980
I can't find any reason why you shouldn't get a used carbon fiber bicycle. I know lot of people who purchased bikes that has been used for almost three years, and when they passed to new hands they felt as stiff and strong as a new one. Obviously you must be very careful before you buy one (not just on a second hand bike, but also on a new one), you must pay special attention to the bottom bracket, headtube and seatstays for possible cracks on the frame, be advised, not every crack means a damaged carbon, there are many cracks that are just cosmetical because the paint rips off because of the torsion applied to the pedals or caused by the natural flection of the frame
>>
>>900992
It's not necessarily a crack you need to look for. It's any hole in the epoxy, a ding or what have you. Any compromise to the protective coating that could allow the carbon inside to start unwinding, building up pressure and then one day BOOM
catastrophic failure

I'll stick 2 my alu thanx
>>
>>900996
I think that the beauty of the aluminium and the effort to make a good aluminium frame can't be matched by the carbon. I mean, carbon is the way to go if you are racing or you are a hardcore rider, but the beauty of the aluminium/steel/titanium craftsmanship can't be paralleled
>>
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1876098/
>>
>>900980
>Why shouldn't I buy a used carbon fiber bicycle?
For the same reason you shouldn't buy a used car.

The hope that a new bike will be perfect.

The fear that a used bike will be a sink hole of problems, broken parts, and unexpected expenses. The embarrassment that people will think less of you for buying a used bike.

Specifically carbon frames come in many shapes and technologies and it could be harder to spot a flaw or problem than simply looking for tell-tale re-touched or cracked paint on an aluminum frame.

If you're buying used to save money, then you must accept the risk of repair costs that would be covered by the bike's original warranty.

An exception would be buying a used bike from a bike shop or directly from the factory. In this case you have the assurance that if there are problems you will be compensated.
>>
>>901015
I am very wary about buying a used bike for so much money, but I don't think this post has discouraged me entirely.

I figure I'll take it to a bike store and have them give it a really thorough once over before I commit to buy.
>>
>>901020
Don't be an asshole. Buy it or don't buy it. If you buy it you accept there is a risk it won't be perfect. 99% of the time it will be fine. Look for any major signs of wear and make a judgement. Has it been left outside? How many scuffs or scratches are there?
>>
>>901023
>Don't be an asshole.
lol? Why did you just call me an asshole?
>>
>>901029
>I'll take it to a bike store and have them give it a really thorough once over before I commit to buy.
>>
>>901031
and that makes me an asshole?
>>
>>901032
Yes
>>
>>901033
Well, according to me, you're an asshole for calling me an asshole for really no reason at all. Good day sir.
>>
i've never heard of a bike store doing a PPI and besides, most problems with crabon or any other material aren't going to be revealed by anything short of an x-ray
>>
If you're buying a used bike or even just the frame ideally you'll view it in person, or if you're getting it delivered you'll have the option of returning it if it has more damage than advertised. This applies to any frame material, they can all crack and they can all be repaired. If you don't know what to look for then you find someone who does and get them to look at it, or you suck it up and buy new.

I bought a second hand carbon fibre frame. It has some cracking but I decided to keep it as it's in a not so crucial area (top of the seat tube where the clamp had been tightened without a seat post inserted), it was a good deal, and the chances of finding another of this particular frame is pretty slim. It's still holding up well but I will probably get it repaired one day.
>>
>>901116
enjoy the carbon shrapnel in yr balls bro
>>
>>901140
Unlikely. It's a DH frame so I don't sit on the saddle much and when I do there's not much force going to it. The worst and most likely situation is the part of the tube inside the clamp will separate from the rest of the tube causing the saddle to turn.

If it was a more typical mountain bike frame or even a road frame then I'd probably get it repaired right away, a hard tail especially as the seat tube will be more integral to the frames strength. Other than my specific situation I can't think of any other cracks that I'd continue to ride with. All of this still applies regardless of material as well.
>>
I think not having any warranty, not being knowledgeable enough to go over the entire thing with a fine comb to assess what work it will need done, issues that might rear their head a week after riding and the fact that high end bikes aren't all that necessary for the average rider. Recreational riders can get by perfectly fine on steel and alu frame.
>>
Because it will explode.
>>
>>901015
>shouldn't buy a used car

stopped reading there, opinion disregarded
>>
>>900996
>Any compromise to the protective coating that could allow the carbon inside to start unwinding, building up pressure
You actually have no idea how carbon fibre is used to build frames or how it works. That's like saying that a scratch on an aluminium frame will start bending it.
>and then one day BOOM catastrophic failure
Oh, I see, you just wanted to meme'it up. My fault.
>I'll stick 2 my alu thanx
You're welcome, I'm aware that you're poor and I check my carbon privilege.

>>901003
>I think that the beauty of the aluminium and the effort to make a good aluminium frame can't be matched by the carbon. I mean, carbon is the way to go if you are racing or you are a hardcore rider, but the beauty of the aluminium/steel/titanium craftsmanship can't be paralleled
Every time that there's a thread discussing carbon bikes some autistic has to come and claim the superiority of aluminium using some mongoloid arguments. Unparalleled beauty of craftmanship? You mean it's harder to make it into shapes that aren't a round tube.
Carbon provides a superior ride quality, less weight and much more aerodynamic bikes. If your only argument against carbon is that aluminium frames take more skill to build...well, that's simply retarded. I could make a bike out of cardboard, but it wouldn't be better just because it was harder to make.

OP, if you buy second hand just check for obvious cracks and BB creaking as you try to move the cranks from side to side. The BB shell and chainstays are where most of the frames (steel, alu or carbon) bagin to crack and fail.
>>
>>901962
BB?
>>
>>901975
boppin bitch
>>
>>901941
/thread
>>
>>900980
They dont increase in value over time as much as other bikes. If you really want to set aside something to ensure a comfortable retirement, you should look into some of the early aluminum dual suspension models. Better than money in the bank.
>>
>>902320
I'm kind of looking for something modern
>>
>>902358
He's trolling.
>>
>>900980
i saw that bike irl the other day and i have to admit the colorway is p neat
>>
>>901975
>doesn't know what BB is
>>
>>902373
That might have been why I asked.
>>
>>901033
Dickhead
>>
>>902320
>look into some of the early aluminum dual suspension models.
no you shouldn't
there is no Evidence, by way of published international auction results, of any interest in early aluminum dual suspension bikes

if you want to sit on some [Cannondale] investment, then buy some shares of Dorel (here on the Toronto stock exchange, tsx:DII.B) you will get an annual report with pictures. They had a negative return for the past ten years, slightly better than the Euro did, so yeah, better than money in the bank.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.