[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just got my second flat tire (in less than 300km) and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11
So I just got my second flat tire (in less than 300km) and I don't feel really at ease under the rain with my sammy slicks.
I want to invest in an "urban" set of tire, something that would still let me go fast, but would be resistant and offer good grip under the rain.

Are the Schwalbe marathon plus the go to?
The michelin protek urban are significantly cheaper, lighter and supposedly have excellent grip under the rain.
Anything else I should look at (I'm fitting 700x35 btw)?

Also, I didn't have time to buy a new tube, so I used a 25-32 for my 35, seems to hold just fine for now, is it a bad idea?
>>
Schwalbe Marathons are not fast.
>>
File: f08.gif (2 MB, 200x136) Image search: [Google]
f08.gif
2 MB, 200x136
>>900750
Use the fucking bqg baka. Your one question doesn't need a thread

Just see how your tires go. Two flats in that time span is not that bad just fix your flats.
>>
>>900750
>I don't feel really at ease under the rain with my sammy slicks.

Nigga I literally just biked through a flood on my slicks, those minuscule grooves in "urban" tires don't grip shit in shit.
>>
File: 16314[1].jpg (3 MB, 3831x2739) Image search: [Google]
16314[1].jpg
3 MB, 3831x2739
>>900753
Theres more than 1 marathon tire tho

>>900750
Marathon is THE anti puncture to go,however the marathon "greenguard" and especially the marathon+ are NOT light rolling tyres,theyre not made for that in mind specifically.

However the Marathon supreme and almotion are,they combine a lighter and/or less rolling resistance tyre with jussst a bit less puncure protection that its heavier brothers.

>>900755
>Two flats in that time span is not that bad just fix your flats.
Holy shit,I wouldn't even be cycling if I had so many damn flats,2 punctures per 300 km is literally 60 times more flats that I get per Km.
Are you using high end low resistance race tyres by any chance?

>>900756
This is true,having (alot) of profile in your tyres is not beneficial at all and may even worsen rolling resistance and wear,hence I reccomend the Marathon almotion and marathon supreme

>new marathon supreme tubeless for 2016
HYPED
Y
P
E
D
>>
>>900770
>However the Marathon supreme and almotion
Only in comparison to even shittier rolling Marathons. They still don't roll well.
>>
File: 1446080089509.png (462 KB, 508x509) Image search: [Google]
1446080089509.png
462 KB, 508x509
>>900770
>marathon supreme tubeless
>mfw it's just solid rubber
fuck supple handling anyway
>>
>>900780
The marathon supreme rolls quite well for the puncture protection it has
Are you a conti shill by any chance?

>>900784
Yes,you're absolutely right.
OP wants to fix a flat every 100km not 300.

Hey but at least his $3000 fred bike (because he totally specified what bike he rides) will magically turn his bike into a smooth ,supple race machine XD
>>
>>900789
why the fuck would a solid rubber tire get a flat every 100km
>>
>>900789
>for the puncture protection it has
In other words they don't roll well. They only roll well in comparison to even shittier rolling Marathons.

Exactly like I said.
>>
Anyone running tires other than gator hardshell is a masochistic hipster who rides speshul snowflake tires because he enjoys fixing flats. That's a fact.
>>
>>900794
memeskins are great if you hate having any traction at all on wet roads
>>
>>900797
this is fact.
gatorskins are the only tire i've been able to hydroplane on.
>>
File: 41ly1Q3cxLL._SY300_.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41ly1Q3cxLL._SY300_.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
Schwalbe Marathon Plus are just tires with built in tire liners. Just put tire liners on the tires you already have
>>
Schwalbe Marathon are a solid investment, if you're not racing and you are an urban commuter who does a lot of recreational riding in cities then I highly recommend them. They essentially don't get flats from glass or other shit and they last for fucking ever. I can't recommend them highly enough.
>>
>>900797
>>900799
Sheldon brown senpai would disagree with you. It's just not possible to hydroplane on a bike tire, treaded or not.
>>
>>900818
FUCKING THIS
it's like people are trying to keep these a secret or something, even mentioning them here people are like "THOSE EXIST!?"
>>
>>900824
nah brah, my cyclometer said I was going 97 mph for 50 miles sustained

I bet you're so weak you've never even broken a crank
>>
File: Continetal-Gatorskin-Layers.gif (235 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
Continetal-Gatorskin-Layers.gif
235 KB, 800x599
>>900830
those were useful back in the day when good tires didn't exist and all tires were as shitty as your average schwalbe

true fact: your sidewalls will still be shit even if you're pretending it's still 1985 and bike tires need condoms inside them

or you could just get properly reinforced tires and be done with it
>>
I run theses with liners and a slime tube. I havent had a flat in about 1500 miles now even while going off road sometimes.

inb4 slime sacrilege, fuck you all I'm the one who gets to mess with it.
>>
>>900835
i sniggered
>>
>>900824
I wasn't talking about hydroplaning, I was talking about simply losing traction, which was a problem for me with 700x25c memeskins.
>>
I use maxis tires exclusively

Holly Rollers which are a great pavement/dirt hybrid and the high knobs help prevent flats

Hookworks which are extremely popular among E-bikers for their grip on pavement and durability
>>
Michelin City
Vittoria Randonneur Pro II
>>
>>900824
maybe for a technical definition of hydroplaning, but I took a corner, slid through some water, lost traction, and fishtailed. I caught myself on one foot at a lean and didn't fall.
Maybe you're right, I didn't hydroplane.

>yfw even on top of the line moto tires they put a little tread on the middle as water dispersing grooves.
>>
File: dpt.jpg (54 KB, 604x504) Image search: [Google]
dpt.jpg
54 KB, 604x504
>>900837
>schwale le shit xd
>posts nogrip gatormemes

Proper way of fidcrediting yourself,kid
>>
File: fgsfds_cruise.jpg (55 KB, 339x480) Image search: [Google]
fgsfds_cruise.jpg
55 KB, 339x480
Standard Schwalbe Marathon are ok tier, you could do worse. They're not bullet proof and will get soft (and permeable) over time. You can get 10000 to 16000 km (up to 10000 miles) from them, depending on road surface and UV exposure.

300 km distance from one flat to the next screams 'change me!'
>>
File: Platinum-Protector-Open-v3[1].png (222 KB, 467x600) Image search: [Google]
Platinum-Protector-Open-v3[1].png
222 KB, 467x600
The only answer
>>
I have Marathon+ tires on my errand bike; hard to puncture, but they're rather slow.
I've had two flat tires in ~8 years with the M+'s, and both was from pieces of (car) tire belt wire that managed to stick through the bicycle tire. :|

>>900936
in USA-land, Cheng Shin sells a tire called the Salvo that is a copy of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, for ~$22.
The main drawback is that the Salvo model tire only comes in one size-- 26" x 1.75"....... so it is MTB-fags only.
>>
>>900946
Damn cagers at it again
>>
>>900818
>Schwalbe Marathon Plus are just tires with built in tire liners. Just put tire liners on the tires you already have
yea but no.
the tire liners can shift in the tire (to where they do not cover the tread area at all) and they can rub holes in the tube all by themselves.

plus they don't help protect the tire casing at all; you'd do better to just use a tire with a thicker amount of tread rubber in the first place. it would add the same amount of weight and rolling resistance, and protect both the casing and the inner tube.
>>
>>901018
>rub holes in the tube all by themselves.
this just happened to me. fucking infuriating.
>>
>>901018
>you'd do better to just use a tire with a thicker amount of tread rubber in the first place
dropped
>>
Ur an faggot if you dont use Italian handmade cotton carcass tubulairs for your daoly commute
>>
>>900750

Vittoria Rubino Pro are puncture resistant and fast enough. Not as fast as competition tyre, but still a good wearless tyre.

And if you're considering shwalbe, anvil-made, tyres, then you're the kind of cyclist for who the Rubino will be grippy enough under rain.
>>
>>901247
Rubino is grippy?

Comrade,what the fuck?
Also the breaker layer is horseshit and cant even withstand tiny glass shards
>>
I just want to say I just switched from 23c tires to 25c and the difference, while not abysmal, is very noticeable. A much less bumpy ride, road vibration almost gone, bike feels more... alive.

You guys weren't kidding. I love it.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.