[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone in the Netherlands ride these clunkers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 22
File: dutch_bicycle.jpg (687 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
dutch_bicycle.jpg
687 KB, 800x534
Why does everyone in the Netherlands ride these clunkers?
>>
>Cheap to replace when stolen
>Practical
>Comfortable
>Reliable
>>
>>900483
because they ride slow, they never go faster than 10mph/16kph
>>
I want to go to the Netherlands but I'm an insecure 5'7" manlet

Thanks dad
>>
>>900496
>Abusing SI prefixes and unit symbols
Please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
Because the Netherlands is flatter than a pancake.
>>
they buy highquality weed instead of highquality road racer
>>
>>900483
>>900488
They probably ride it for the cargo rack and comfy fat tires. A cheap fixie would be a lot faster but these granny bikes have a bit more practical use.
>>
>>900662
>fixie
>>
>>900496
This desu, I dunno if I would like to cycle in the Netherlands. I don't ride fast but it looks like you'd get stuck behind millions of people cycling at 5km/h
>>
>>900665
Slow commuters are your worst enemy in the Netherlands when you want to do competitive rides.
>>
File: 144601494111.jpg (50 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
144601494111.jpg
50 KB, 380x380
>>900670
wow. fuck that
>>
File: sanic.jpg (69 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
sanic.jpg
69 KB, 1440x1080
>>900496
>>900665
>>900670
>>900671
>>
File: e8rr89_26.jpg (416 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
e8rr89_26.jpg
416 KB, 1024x768
>>900483
warning: I am not dutchfag and haven't ever been

there's a website online about a study a guy did on Netherlands bicycle riders
points to ponder:
---most riders go less than 2 miles one-way
---most do not ride all the way to any destination, they only ride to a nearby bus stop or train station
So most aren't really riding them very far. And if you're not going far, anything will work. Even wearing normal clothes.

Outside of major cities there is not nearly as many bicycle pathways OR riders,,,, and people who do rural riding tend to use the usual drop-bar road bicycles and lycra riding attire.

The country IS flat, but the cost of bicycles varies a lot. many are cheap junkers but the nicer ones can easily cost $2K+, and that's local prices. Shipping one to any country far way adds at least a couple hundred bucks on.
>>
>>900483
because as commuter cyclists they need a bike that is more or less bullet proof, can hold all your groceries, and is sturdy enough for your fat drunk friend to catch a ride on the back rack.
>>
File: image.png (79 KB, 230x337) Image search: [Google]
image.png
79 KB, 230x337
>>900673
>if you don't want to go literal walking speed on a bike ur a tryhard fred :^)
>>
>>900690
>Literal walking speed

Keep it up, chuckles
>>
>>900690
If you even have a chain that isn't broken you're a fat middle aged man in Lycra on a $509,000,000,728,927.37 carbon bike who physically can't ride a bike unless wearing Team Sky kit

Also if you have so much as looked at a floor pump once in your life, your a fred
>>
>>900689
this and more...
they are bombproof, come with a lock, lights, fenders, etc already on the bike, require almost no maintenance, and you can ride it with business clothes.
>>
>>900689
As an actual commuter, not a weekend cyclist pretending to know what's best for something I have no experience of, I'd fucking kill myself if I had to use a dutch bike for commuting
>carrying drunk people on your bike
>this is what cagers ACTUALLY believe
>>
>>900483
Bacause only in the netherbutts bikes actually are for real people commuting.
Mostly everywhere else bike commuters are posers.
>>
>>900736
don't knock it till you've tried it...
>>
>>900736
>He doesn't believe the Dutch carry their drunk friends around on the back of their bikes.

Why are so many obvious Ameriburgers who don't even have a passport have clearly never left their country, let alone been to the Netherlands, commenting on something they literally have no knowledge or experience of?
>>
The only thing that I find interesting is how I have never seen a picture of a dutch bike with rust on it. These bikes are made entirely of steel and are left out in the rainy dutch weather but all the steel looks shiny new with not a spot of rust on it. Id be curious what kind of rust-proofing they use. I left a steel bike out in the rain for 2 weeks and it got severely rusted.
>>
>>900747
>never seen a picture of a dutch bike with rust on it
i work with a dutch girl, her bike looks like it's about to fall to pieces. i donĀ“t know about what kind of pictures you are talking about
>>
I have to admit, these bikes are cheap even compared to Kmart BOS prices
http://tiny
url.com/q4zle24
>>
>>900747
nope

>>898458
>>895743
>>
File: 1428944641629.jpg (493 KB, 1264x3192) Image search: [Google]
1428944641629.jpg
493 KB, 1264x3192
>>900736
>carrying drunk people on your bike
>this is what cagers ACTUALLY believe
Yup,because it's true
faggot
>2015
>not transporting ur qt3,14 buzzed gf over a quiet,non cagercancer infected road next to the dutch Grachten.(this kills the rear carrier tho)
I feel sorry 4 you honestly

>>900747
hahahaha,oooh shit son,I have to use a shittonne of penetrating oil and steel wool (for muh aesthetics) on shitty budget bikes.
Rust is the norm for (cheap-medium priced) bikes.

The better but considerbly more expensive ones (azor) ones use 3 layer paint and stainless steel.

>>900754
>Hollandia
Fuggg where do I start.
>Galvanized brake cable,not lubricated properly,will rust withing months and jam
>Lights fill up with rainwater and short out/corrode to shit.
>headlight mounting thing will break,shitty plate steel
>Brake Calipers are shit and brake badly
>Guaranteed rust on the handlebars/stem within 1-2 months
>saddle will get rekt cuz of "muh blastic construction"
>same goes for the pedals
>galvanized or chromed spokes will rust,making truing (unavoidable,cuz shitty uneven spoke tension) imposible
>shitty single walled alu rims
>kickstant will require constant bending or will just shit itself
>front hub (cup n cone) will shit itself(we can buy em for <2 euro whaddaya think?
>Heavy rolling ,"anti puncure" tires.ahahaha. . .no.

Extra weak pieces of shit are
The mudguard
The mudguard stays
bell (seriously Im amazed how quick those thinks stop working due to rust and impact)
Coat protectors
cloth chaincase
weak bendy cranks
The elastic straps on the rear carrier
The "paint" quality on the frame is horseshit,and it will rust underneath instead
>>
>>900483
1. They look nice.
2. They're practical.
3. They live in a place where bicycles are well accommodated so they don't need some big high vis bike.
4. Dutch bike culture is much more casual. Unlike places like the US or the UK they don't have this lycra "GOTTA GO FAST" culture. You cycle at a pace you feel comfortable with and you use your bike casually for trips to the shop and shit.
5. Tradition, I guess. Why do Americans and British people drive different cars?
>>
>>900800
So they are filthy casuals?
Christ, get them in a group cage!
>>
>>900800
>You cycle at a pace you feel comfortable with
Because going so fucking slow you're going to topple over is "comfortable"?

Maybe it's because I've spent most of my life (and all of my adult life) in major cities, but I consider walking and cycling to be a way to get somewhere, not a way of holding up a bunch of other people trying to get somewhere.

It's ok to go on a leisurely stroll sometimes, or go on a leisurely bike ride sometimes, but don't do it in a way that inconveniences others.

Also:
>implying trying to get somewhere is unique to murrica

You've obviously never set foot in any major asian metropolis and it's unlikely you even have a passport
>>
>>900690
If seeing people commute at a comfortable speed sets off your sanic gotta go autism then you're worse than a fred
>>
>>900831
>Maybe it's because I've spent most of my life (and all of my adult life) in major cities, but I consider driving to be a way to get somewhere, not a way of holding up a bunch of other people trying to get somewhere.

Yeah traffic jams suck because of casual drivers right?
If you know the bike paths will be filled with people you plan your trip accordingly, You don't say it's 2km away so it will take me 5 minutes you say it's 2km away and there's traffic so I'll leave a little earlier
>>
File: daddy and kid holland.jpg (266 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
daddy and kid holland.jpg
266 KB, 2592x1944
This is all bollocks.
I cycle in the Netherlands 4 days a week, commuting 15 km each on a standard bike with triathlon steer
The average speed is roughly 18 - 20 km/h. Most commuters ride 20-25 km/h.
There's a rise in electric bicycles and they go about 25 km - 30 km/h
Recumbent dudes are always the fastest dudes out there, but they have a bad image of being dangerous in traffic.
I meet very little people who ride roadbikes commutes. The once in lycra are often just recreational riders.
We ride bikes from when were 3 years old so cycling is just like walking, it isn't seen as anything special and most people don't regard it as a hobby.
>>
>>900831
>going so fucking slow you're going to topple over

Apparently, the Dutch are more skilled at riding a bike than you are.

>I consider walking and cycling to be a way to get somewhere
>GOTTA GO FAST

You realise that unlike most American & Asian cities, European cities like the ones in the Netherlands are dense? You don't need to go 10km to get anywhere. You don't need to GOTTA GO FAST to get there, because "there" is usually <10 minutes away even at a slower pace than you're used to sanicing about at.

Just accept that you're a sanic who's upset at the idea of normies (REEEEEEEE!) getting in on your super special cycling club and move on. It's okay; it'll never catch on in the USA anyway, so you and your buddies can no-homo yourself in lycra for the rest of your natural lives.
>>
>that guy who says "sanic" all the time
this isn't a word, please sue whoever pretended to teach you english
>>
File: sanic.png (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
sanic.png
38 KB, 480x360
>>900939
>>
In my country (Australia) you're so often set next to traffic and beholden to traffic lights etc - that you kind of have to hustle. You can't just leisurely ride on the road, unless you're on a bicycle path.
>>
>>900867
The only thing that sets me off is seeing people slugging up the whole width of the bike path.
>>
>>900687
>they only ride to a nearby bus stop
This better doesn't mean they try squeezing in with those dirty ass clunkers.
>>900687
>,,,
>,,,,
Bacon, that's you?
>>
>>901212
I'm dutch and it's my god given right to ride at literal walking speed while taking up the whole width of the path and shaking my first angrily at anyone who DARES move at a useful speed. Bikes are for going slow as fuck, and for abusing because nice things are for lycra freds.
Unlike in Holland, places like Hong Kong and Manhattan are sprawling suburbs with low population density, which is why everyone is in a hurry.
>>
>>901216
I still tear ass when I ride to the grocery store, which is only like a 3 mile round trip. Get fast, casual.
>>
File: news_obvious_troll.jpg (41 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
news_obvious_troll.jpg
41 KB, 240x240
>>901216
>>
>>900511
you'll fit in, especially in bigger cities

t. amsterdam expat for a while
>>
Its a town/city bike OP
They ride them for practicality
Not to show of
>>
File: damn-son.jpg (12 KB, 250x219) Image search: [Google]
damn-son.jpg
12 KB, 250x219
>>901216
>>
File: SAVEME.jpg (12 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
SAVEME.jpg
12 KB, 367x202
>>900670
>>
Casuals and GOTTA GO FAST aren't mutually exclusive. Anyone able to spare half a month's pay can get his hands on an e-bike and spend his days jerking into motion from a complete stop, running red lights, weaving through car and foot traffic and excusing himself from the bike lane.
>>
File: liberty-trike-6.jpg (74 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
liberty-trike-6.jpg
74 KB, 700x394
>>901398
>Casuals and GOTTA GO FAST aren't mutually exclusive

>Anyone able to spare half a month's pay can get his hands on an e-bike

I dont think you quite get the concept of 'gotta go fast' grandpa
>>
>>901435

christ that thing must tip over easily during turns
>>
>>901436
That's why you should take turns at a comfortable speed
It's only in america where people have this irrational urge to take corners at dangerous speeds, well in excess of the 4.5 mph walking speed that normal cyclists do
What's the hurry, fred?
>>
If you try going fast on a bike like OP posted you will look like an autist
>>
I love these threads because they prove that the "cycling advocates" on /n/ don't actually want more people to ride bikes for commuting purposes. They just want more bike lanes and bike infrastructure for their own selfish hobbyist reasons and use the rhetoric of improved bicycle commuting infrastructure to advance their own interests. These people would hate if people actually began commuting via bicycles in large numbers because then they wouldn't be able to "go fast" and wouldn't be special snowflakes anymore.

If you want to go fast get a fucking car or a motorcycle you fucking autists, just admit you want the taxpayers to subsidize your hobby and I might have a little more respect for you.
>>
>>903817
>They just want more bike lanes and bike infrastructure for their own selfish hobbyist reasons

No shit retard, we want to be able to go faster with more convenience and be safer. How are you so dense? Did your mother get raped while you were in the womb and you got smacked in the face with nig dick?
>>
>>903818
Go to a local park if you want to ride around and pursue your hobby. Do you see amateur drone hobbyists demanding the FAA open special pathways in the air at airports for drone flights and RC craft? How about special infrastructure along the main roads for horse riders?

Cycling hobbyists are the most entitled, arrogant, and self-absorbed pieces of shit in the world. The worst part is you think your shit doesn't stink and that you are doing the world a service by making everyone else pay for your way of having fun.
>>
>>903817
I love it when poorfag cagers who drive shitboxes to their mcjob in some lower middle class suburb where they're barely scraping by try to tell well off urbanites who cycle to work that they need to pay more taxes.

Do you realize my taxes are why you get an Earned Income Credit so you can afford that precious six pack of beer once a week to numb your brain for a few hours?

You're welcome,

A Cyclist
>>
>>903821
>Go to a local park if you want to ride around and pursue your hobby.

Confirmed for having zero experience on a bike. Thanks for the micro-chuckle you fucking CHUNGO.
>>
File: 1418390256557.gif (3 MB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
1418390256557.gif
3 MB, 300x237
>>903821
>Go to a local park if you want to ride around and pursue your hobby. Do you see amateur drone hobbyists demanding the FAA open special pathways in the air at airports for drone flights and RC craft? How about special infrastructure along the main roads for horse riders?

The aforementioned aren't convenient, cheap and low carbon forms of transport. Cycling is and it's actually the most efficient form of transportation available to humanity. When the majority of the trips people make are less than 10km why WOULDN'T you ride a bicycle?

>Cycling hobbyists are the most entitled, arrogant, and self-absorbed pieces of shit in the world

Actually you come off as far more self entitled, arrogant and self-absorbed than any cyclist. To me it sounds like you got keked by a cyclist or your mom left your dad for a cyclist. Cool down hothead, you're just making yourself come off as retarded.

>The worst part is you think your shit doesn't stink and that you are doing the world a service by making everyone else pay for your way of having fun.

I don't think you really know anything about anything - in my country at least the roads are paid for the most part by the taxpayers not for license registration or any car or fuel tax. And really, motorists are the ones who are the ones that are emitting greenhouse gasses because they're too lazy. The real cost of billions of lazy fucks driving around is rising sealevels, humans being relocated on an unprecedented scale and widespread disruption to agriculture and the environment - which is why we need a carbon tax to force motorists and manufacturers to make cars that pollute less.

If you could confine all the pollution that you selfishly make to your own house I'd be fine with it but you selfishly pump it into the atmosphere like a self entitled cunt - why do you feel so entitled to fuck up the planet for everyone else and all of the people that come after you? I suggest committing suicide.
>>
File: 1417397398712.jpg (92 KB, 799x450) Image search: [Google]
1417397398712.jpg
92 KB, 799x450
>>903821
Cyclists riding their bicycles ease traffic congestion. One cyclist takes up like 1/6th of the space on the road that a car does and they don't take up parking spaces and cyclists riding on roads hardly causes any deterioration compared to a car. You should be thanking them kek.
>>
>>903825

>1/6th of the space

Yeah, I always see cyclists in close formations of 6.
>>
File: Munster1991BusBicycleCar.jpg (922 KB, 1400x665) Image search: [Google]
Munster1991BusBicycleCar.jpg
922 KB, 1400x665
>>903852
damn son, you really are stupid aren't you? You do realize that if they rode in close formations of six it would actually be worse right? Actually, I don't even know what you mean by your post you're just that stupid.
>>
>>903857
I think he's trying to say that recreational cyclists (i.e., not the topic of this thread) sometimes like to ride in packs. This makes him really angry, since, unless he manages to kill all 6 with one swerve, there will be witnesses.

The thought of being held accountable makes cagers wild with rage, just mention cameras and watch them foam at the mouth.
>>
>>903859
Where are these cyclists that ride two abreast on busy roads? I've only ever seen them do it on bicycle paths that don't have many people on them and empty sidestreets. I live in a densly packed city with fast paced transport - it's just not a viable thing to do here, you'd only do it somewhere where there is fuck all traffic where it wouldn't matter.
>>
>>903861
I've seen it on youtube, but yeah, it's not something that really registers to me as a real life problem.

I guess some places are different. Or cagers are just delusional retards. Probably both actually.
>>
>>903862
The cyclists who I see behaving badly probably only ride a few times a year, it's mostly people on cheap mountain bikes riding on the footpath getting in peoples way.
>>
>>903862
The war on cagers is real though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww5F4cSiBw0

>cyclists will defend this
>>
>>903866
>SB350
I did some quick looking, how is this bill supposed to achieve anything at all? It sets a target of a 50% reduction in gasoline use but doesn't specify how to achieve that? Am I missing something?

FWIW I'm totally in favor of a war on cars, but it's not even close to starting yet. Moving away from total dependency on a mode of travel that's a public health hazard, expensive, and energy intensive would be a pragmatic decision for our nation and the sooner we get on with it the better.
>>
>>903861
come to colorado
>>
>>903866
I watched that for several minutes trying to figure out if it's a parody of cagers being paranoid and defensive, or an actual cager paranoia video

I then remembered that coal rollers exist, and concluded it must be sincere

>cagers actually think burning as much gas as possible is the fundamental duty of all living people
>>903874
Oh, you're that same guy always raging about some bikes he saw on a country road in Colorado. Why are you even on /n/? Just stay on /o/.
>>
>>903866
How long do you expect to be able to drive a car that contributes to climate change? Realistically, you have to understand that every year more and more restrictions are being passed to limit emissions. Blame the petrochemical industry and the car industry for burying electric cars and stifling innovation.

I'm unsure about this exact legislation and what it's supposed to do - although I do agree that emissions from cars should be limited I think that the legislation should target the manufacturers more than the consumers but realistically a lot of stuff needs to be overhauled, Tesla and hybrids are all well and good but they're not quite there yet - either electric or hydrogen powered cars are obviously the future though.

I get the feeling that legislation like this is a very California centric thing, it echoes the water restriction argument where the main consumers of water are big corporations who ultimately pay very little for the water and face almost zero restrictions whereas average home owners can be subjected to legal actions for using too much water.

I'm not American so pardon me if I'm incorrect.
>>
>>903874
It's thousands of kilometres where I'm from, I wouldn't presume to know what goes on there. Surprised you have a lot of cyclists doesn't it snow heavily?
>>
>>903874
muh anecdotal evidence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ctK-u2T2V8
>>
>>903882
colorado is epic for riding, The mountains get lots of snow but the rest of the state if it snows its usually gone in a few days. January, February, and March are cold and snowy so riding those months kind of suck.

>>903876

as for riding 2 abreast it happens all the time and it is even legal in some areas but it still makes us all look like jackasses and brings a lot of unwanted hate towards us.
>>
File: 1437895510124.jpg (61 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1437895510124.jpg
61 KB, 431x450
>>903874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwnAbcmWrCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aPhLjr8QdM
>>
>>903885
NYC cyclist here, that video was very strange. It was called "bad drivers on the road", and yeah there were a few bad maneuvers, but there were also some that looked like they were supposed to be "bad driving" but were totally fine (like the right turn).

Also the slowing down for the yield sign and waving at the cage 100 feet away was ridiculous. Just because they're supposed to yield doesn't mean you need to slow down and stop and watch them until they stop too. It's inconvenient for both of you, just get out of the intersection as quickly as possible. This is why I stopped yielding to pedestrians on the MUP, they stand there on the crosswalk staring at you while you trackstand, FUCK that, I don't even slow down anymore.

Anyway I've rented a cage in the midwest and what I really found unsettling about it was that cages are totally unaccustomed to physical proximity so they get really unpredictable and scary. Maybe, there were some unwritten "midwest proximity rules" that were being violated that I'm not picking up on. I'd hate to have to ride a bike in a place like that, you probably get a lot of road raging crazies who lose their shit when you penetrate the unofficial 40 foot separation bubble on a 2 wheel vehicle.
>>
>>903887
>>903888
Samefag here, yeah I think I'll keep riding here in civilization. Fuck getting killed by a crazy fucking rural cager who doesn't know how to handle being near another vehicle.
>>
>>903887
you actually believe any of that shit?.. "why yes officer of course we were riding single file, we definitely didnt harass the driver before getting our cameras out."

listen kiddo I have seen it with my own eyes while riding up lookout as 2-3 riders block traffic all the way up. I stay as far away from those idiots as I can because I dont want to be associated with them. I'm not saying all riders are jackasses but they are out there just as there are bad drivers... now go fuck yourself with a rack faggot.
>>
>>903891
lel

the cage is in your mind, bro
>>
>>903888
Aussie here, I didn't really understand the rules that were being broken by the cagers in the vid. Sure, they're not courteous and have not much regard for your safety but I have the same experience when I drive a car. People in general are discourteous and don't give a fuck.
>>
>>903881
>>>/o/13993762
>>
File: img_4339.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
img_4339.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>903891
For what purpose would these people harass a motorist for? They're obviously riding for fitness with some friends, they're white professional men on decent bicycles. If you really think these people would go out of their way to harass someone in a car behind them then you're a fucking idiot.

Also, people hardly ever ride two abreast - it is less aerodynamic and more dangerous.
>>
>>903898
>Also, people hardly ever ride two abreast - it is less aerodynamic and more dangerous.
>how to ride a smooth chaingang?
Where the fuck do you get 'dangerous' from?
>>
>>903898
They were harassing the old man by being on a bicycle, of course

He worked all his life to have a cage and other people who just go out and ride a bike are threatening his idea of the social order
>>
>>903936
It's dangerous because of cagers.
>>
File: 1417132323683.jpg (25 KB, 300x323) Image search: [Google]
1417132323683.jpg
25 KB, 300x323
>>903891
FILTHY DUMB, CAGER SCUM - WALKS AROUND WITH CUM IN HIS BUM
>>
>>904028
Please elaborate. You're not making any sense.
>>
File: 1419716825822.jpg (67 KB, 532x398) Image search: [Google]
1419716825822.jpg
67 KB, 532x398
>>904051
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.