[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone have experience with Linus? I saw some in person and they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 16
File: GastonLifestyle_1024x1024.jpg (252 KB, 1024x597) Image search: [Google]
GastonLifestyle_1024x1024.jpg
252 KB, 1024x597
anyone have experience with Linus?
I saw some in person and they look well built
>>
fucking disgusting
>>
>faux vintage
>>
If you are just rolling around town or cruising to work there is nothing wrong with a Linus.

Are they a super good deal? No
Are they light and fast with the best parts? No

They are pretty stylish though and solid
>>
>>898696
This, I would be embarrassed to ride one

They're really popular in a rich people apartment near my work. The fuckers just leave them chained up outside. Those, along with Flying Pigeons. Nothing like paying $900 to import a heavy slow bike made with 100 year old technology that no one has the tools for.
>>
>>898707
>that no one has the tools for.
Wat
>>
>Levers butted up against the grips
>>
Hey, at least the frame and fork are chromoly and not hiten.

Though $669 for a 3 speed steel bike is ridiculous.
>>
They're good bikes, although the stock saddles are complete rubbish.
>>
>>898744
> going downhill with a city bike
>>
>>898748

just cromo front triangle

they do come with full coverage fenders installed tho. Wheel build quality is better than a lot of other brands at the same pricepoint imo.
>>
>>898765
>Accepting sub-optimal control configurations unnecessarily
>>
>>898693
they look nice, but...
the handlebars are kinds crap (not comfortable) but I suppose if you never ride the thing very far they would work
city bikes are best with IGH's, no exceptions
and why is the bell on the stem where you can't reach it easily?
>>
>>898792
It's more comfortable than way sperglord. Feels good to stretch your full hand.
>>
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/kensington8.htm

Maybe missing a few details, but a lot cheaper.
>>
>>898818
Wow, nice price. I'd be all over that.
>>
>>898796
>and why is the bell on the stem where you can't reach it easily?
that's just a bit of a rando affectation i think - you'll be seeing plenty similar in the next couple of years.
>>
>>898693
Have a look at Handsome Cycles
>>
>>898827
I always liked their Shop Bike model
>>
File: mfw someone rides XC near me.jpg (731 KB, 1600x1065) Image search: [Google]
mfw someone rides XC near me.jpg
731 KB, 1600x1065
>>898815
>It feels good to support all of your weight with your thumb
>It feels good afford your strongest fingers sub-optimal leverage
>>
File: 1Oi7FOa (1).jpg (885 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
1Oi7FOa (1).jpg
885 KB, 2592x1456
So I've posted this here before, this is my daily driver. I used to only ride fixed but I found this bicycle on sale here: http://www.linusbike.com.au/products/the-libertine for $400. It's now $599 now though.

I took off the fenders and I've ridden the shit out of it. Recently replaced the back tire with a Schwalbe Marathon and I will probably do the same to the front tire.

I usually ride around 100 km in a city to commute to work and to visit friends but I have done 40km trips on it.

For the price of $400 I couldn't complain. I honestly wouldn't get the three speed or any of their other bicycles. It's the Libertine or nothing, even though Shimano Claris is nothing special I'm not a super competitive cyclist and I'm pretty happy with this bicycle.
>>
>>898823

More like "you've been seeing plenty similar in the past couple of years"

Rando fad is over
>>
>>898782

>Wheel build quality is better than a lot of other brands at the same pricepoint imo.

How could you possibly know that? You own one?
>>
>>898867
for $400 thats awesome. If I was in the market for a commuter or another beater or something I would seriously look at one of these.. Id probably want more modern shifters and swap to clipless though.
>>
>>898879
As someone who owns a linus the wheel build quality is actually terrible and the wheels suck. But for the price that I got mine at I can't complain.

>>898893
Yeah and it was $400 AUD (I'm an aussie), the bicycle costs like ~1k in the USA which has a stronger currency.. which means it's overpriced and not worth it IMO compared to places like Planet X and bikesdirect.
>>
File: IMG_20151118_143414707.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151118_143414707.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
I replaced the back wheel but still going strong, got it in March.
>>
>>898840
> implying there's any weight on the hands in an upright city bike
> implying I need to come to a sudden stop and get rear-ended by the phalanx of city commuters on my tail

OK faggot just stop. You've got autistic criteria that just don't apply in this type of bike. Go drive your death cage to the nearest sky lift already.
>>
>>898897
Yeah, the wheels suck, but they stay round for the most part, which is all you can really ask from a cheap bike.
>>
Do shitty machine built wheels become as good as hand built wheels once it's been trued by hand?
>>
>>898905
Well I mean the wheels don't deform but they come out of true in less than a month guaranteed.

>>898914
In my experience it depends on the wheel. The linus wheels that I got are notoriously shitty and came out of true multiple times.
>>
>>898919
it really pisses me off that the place where manufacturers cut the most corners is with the wheels, even though they're the most important thing on the bike
>>
>>898942
Yeah, it puts a sour taste in your mouth but they know you've already purchased the bicycle so when it goes out of true there isn't really much you can do. LBS probably love it because people getting their shitty wheels trued continually probably is the reason they can stay open lol
>>
>>898919
What makes it comes out of true more often ? Is it the rims?
>>
>>898947
Probably a combination of cheap rims, cheap spokes and my reckless riding
>>
>>898914
>>898947
The problem with machine built wheels is that automated machines are really good at lacing and pretty good at establishing a good lateral and radial true - but the machines can't check for even spoke tension and windup created during the build process the way a skilled human can.

It's normal for machine-built wheels to start out almost perfectly true, but because they have uneven spoke tension they'll go out of true once they're ridden a bit, which makes the spoke tension become even less even across the wheel, then less true, and so on - until one day you find you have a wheel that's noticeably out of true and/or prone to breaking spokes.

The good news is that any new, machine built wheel can be adjusted for even tension by a skilled human, and as a rule ALL machine built wheels should be checked before they're ridden (much easier to fix a small problem before it becomes a large one).
>>
File: HI-THE-BEARDS-BAND-SMILE-email.jpg (36 KB, 650x300) Image search: [Google]
HI-THE-BEARDS-BAND-SMILE-email.jpg
36 KB, 650x300
>>898955
Very informative.
>>
>>898903
>Implying giving your strongest fingers the best leverage doesn't afford you the greatest possible ability to modulate your brakes
>Implying there should be a space after the meme arrow
No bike-capable aerial lifts on my landmass, but nice implications.
>>
>>898955
Machines can check for tension, they just cost more so they don't. Lots of humans ignore tensions and just spot true. Tensiometer, along with torque wrench, are among the least used tools in many a LBS.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (997 KB, 3413x1825) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
997 KB, 3413x1825
>>898978
>Tensiometer, along with torque wrench, are among the least used tools in many a LBS.
Nah, m8.
Torque wrenches get used on things that have a torque reading on them. Bontrager makes a 4 mm hex tool that is always set to 4-5 nm for stems and seatposts.
I vote for these as some of the least used tools at a bike shop
>>
>>898897
whoops cant read, i'd never spend $1k on one, I could probably just go downtown and find one with some bolt cutters for free.
>>
>>898991
The type of people that buy it full price probably locked it up with a flimsy piece of shit cable lock anyway, it's a pity because it's an aesthetically pleasing bicycle that ticks all the boxes for commuting and using as your daily driver but for 1K it's too much.
>>
>>898994
seeing some of these pics makes me want to go buy a cheap bike at the goodwill for like $50, then re-paint and fix it all up but I dont have the time to do something like that... it would make a really cool /diy/ thread though.
>>
>>898897
It's BURG$719 in USA, but yeah, if it's that cheap down under it should be three hundo burgers.

But cycling in the US is going to go back to being a hobby for rich people because any city that is dense enough for cycling to make sense as a transportation option is becoming too fucking expensive for most people to live in.
>>
File: 100-1_large.jpg (227 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
100-1_large.jpg
227 KB, 640x426
>>899052
>[cycling] as a transportation option is becoming too fucking expensive
Not really, most people who ride bikes for transport will continue buying from Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc., just like usual.

Don't let what you see online fool you - the average bike being used for transportation is pic related, people who commute on boutique or even bike shop -grade bikes are the minority. The most common type of person who rides for transport doesn't even care how efficient and attractive their bike is, they're riding because that's the only vehicle they can afford.
>>
>>899070
I'm not talking about cycling itself becoming too expensive. Dense urban areas where cycling is a more viable form of transportation are becoming unaffordable for many people to live in, so they are being pushed out to the suburbs and are buying cars.
>>
>>899075
derp, my bad

But at the same time, if anything wouldn't the rising cost of living make it even more likely that people in cities (excluding residents of ultra-luxury condos with garage spaces) will want cost-effective transport for intra-city needs?
>>
>>899075
>hur dur bikes are for poor people
>>
>>899075
this is contrary to my experience. my city has been gentrifying rapidly over the last 10 plus years. what had been old, under or unused buildings, project housing, or vacant lots is now fuckloads upon fuckloads of new, dense condo developments. when I got here in '02, there was exactly one bike lane on part of one street, maybe a mile or two, tops. now we have a MUP that is already crowded and will eventually circle the city, and a bunch more bike lanes including along the second biggest street from end to end. the number of bikes has exploded. like, it's a large city and I personally knew like half of everyone on a bike back then. now, I might see one hundred different bikes in a day. fucking crazy. we have one co-op and one hipster boutique store that I know of, probably more in other neighborhoods, in addition to the shops we always had. 2 massive condos just got built right in the middle of all the new bike infra.

all signs point to less cages, praise the lord.
>>
>>899106
Cool. My city got nailed by rents practically doubling over the past couple of years, which has resulted in people bailing for the suburbs and a lot more car traffic. The current city government isn't very bike friendly, either, with a couple of the council members in the "cyclists are terrorists" camp. Their latest shithead move is that they're going to start requiring pedicab operators to have a commercial driving license and at least one year continuous driving experience.

>>899081
Sometimes you can save more money by moving out of town and getting a shitbox to commute in than by getting a bike.
>>
>>898962
"me and my fellow hassids are in a band. I play the dog."
>>
File: 1447122033737.jpg (43 KB, 430x377) Image search: [Google]
1447122033737.jpg
43 KB, 430x377
>>899115
HEY. Fuck off with that heresy the beards are a based as FUCK band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkLH4uZ73M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlgbKIswpzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQwLlFF1As
>>
File: vise-grips.jpg (706 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
vise-grips.jpg
706 KB, 1600x1200
>>898980
I work at a community bicycle shop where I use the FAG-2 and FFS-2 at least once a week.
I would love a Park Tool frame stay straightener and Park Tool head tube straightener.
People come in to our shop with shitty hi-ten frames that need to be bent back into shape (none of then can afford to replace their bicycles. Most can hardly swing our $3/hour fee for loaning out tools).
I would say that pic related is the least used tool in any reputable bicycle shop.
>>
File: 1430101509628.jpg (71 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
1430101509628.jpg
71 KB, 950x534
>>898829
>mfw they named their tarck bike "Fredward"
>>
>>899175
Why are these guys good? Their bikes look like shit imo
>>
>>899177
how so?
>>
>>899182
Handlebars, geometry and prices.

Their bicycles don't strike me as particularly different from what's on offer for cheaper.
>>
>>899186
Not following you... their frames are intended for urban/commuting use, hence the North Road-ish bars & relaxed geometry. As for prices, they're a relatively small shop in Minnie/St. Paul that assembles stuff in-house rather than overseas. I'm not sure what you think they should offer/charge.
>>
>>899194
Hey, I'm sure it's mostly just my personal preference. I'm not a fan of flat bar urban commuters desu.
>>
>>899200
Plenty of folks play in traffic with the drops, but why? Even the fastest 'going fast' bike is standing still compared to a rusted out '90 geo, multiple hand positions are not worth anything for an hour long ride across town, and quite often you really need great steering and braking control on short notice. What does a road bike bring to this party again?
>might get a Linus if it was a real city bike, but geometry and bars are not the problem.
>>
>>899216
Once you learn to like drop bars, it's hard to go back.
>>
>>899216
What makes you think drop bars and road levers don't give great steering and braking control on short notice?

The primary biomechanical/ergonomic advantage of flat bars only appears when you're bouncing across rough terrain (easiest alignment for your wrist to flex around, best shape if you want to be able to let the bars rotate freely within your grip). On the other hand, the shape of drops is better for leveraging the rider's core muscles into power output, provides a natural aero position (useful even on short rides when you're riding into the wind), and of course gives more hand positions overall.

But really, unless you're racing in one discipline or another, it comes down to preference as per >>899218
>>
>>899200
Agreed on flat bars, although the North Road type is more comfy. I find myself wanting to build up a She-Devil frame with a set of randos on a Technomic stem desu wa yo.
>>
File: IMG_0004.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
>>899222
What about stache bars for urban commuting? Better/worse than flats? Better/worse than drops?
>>
>>899227
what those are for is for the old master rider who casually rides by the cat 6 pack while they huff up the hill. you have to have serious kung fu to use those, like some crazy pei mei shit from fist of the white lotus.
>>
>>899218
You don't go back. You have bikes with both.
>>
>>899232
made me smile

>>899227
Mustache bars are weird, they feel like cruiser/upright bars when you use the outside, are a hybrid of drop and flat in the hooks, and give an aero, almost-superman posture if you ride with your hands off the ends of the brake lever bodies. Previous anon is actually right that you need some crazy bike jitsu to use them.
>>
>>899232
There's an old track racer who I occasionally commute with who rides with moustache bars. Keeping up with his rusty Mercier with perfectly clean suntour drivetrain is a challenge on a SS.
>>
>>899236
Damn, I was thinking of putting stache bars on my SS beater bike. Not so eager after hearing they aren't casual friendly from this thread.
>>
>>899301
albatross bars with grips on the end and brakes slung under the grips are pretty casual. fully wrapped with brakes forward is getting serious. then you progress to the zen master shit and flip them.
>>
File: IMG_20140712_120321510_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140712_120321510_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>>899301
I can't recommend moustache bars, but I can't recommend them enough.

The thing is that they only come in one width, and that might not be good for you if you're outside the average.
They are pretty accessible to a casual. Your hands go in the crooks of the bend and operate the brake levers kinda like a flat bar, you'll figure out the other hand positions after a while.
A single speed beater might get you some benefits with moustache bars. I feel like the most benefits are if you're running some wide tires. The width and hand positions give you leverage. A narrow tire doesn't corner as well as a wide tire.
In general if you're replacing a drop bar, you'll want to shorten the stem 10-20mm or raise the stem 40-60mm. The wider stance eats up some of your reach. If you're replacing a flat bar, you'll want a much shorter stem, like 60mm shorter, and probably higher.

get the origin8 tiki bar if you want to try it out.
>>
>>899075
I live in an English village and can cycle around, you just use quiet roads m8
>>
>>899463
the fuck is that

did you just attach extra hoods there for the fuck of it
>>
>>899075
The poorest people I know insist on buying a cage (but still take public transport to get to work because caging is too slow). Meanwhile the cageless continue to ride, walk, or take the train, and get by just fine without a cage.

To the poor, a cage is a status symbol, like owning the latest 4K 70 inch TV (which they also seem to always be buying). They don't mind constantly having the cage in the shop because they got in another wreck, or constantly having to move it because of street cleaners. They'd rather spend all their free time babysitting the stupid cage, because it shows they've Made It.

I hate to be one of those people, but when you look at the facts it's clear they're poor because of their bad choices. I think I'll keep my bike, please and thank you.
>>
>>899498

These are hoods without braking or shifting capabilities, presumably intended for the stoker cockpit in a tandem.

The model is Dia-Compe HR07, 4chan won't let me put in the link for some reason.
>>
>>899501
I get that, but why do you have them oriented that way? how do you use them?
>>
>>899598
>>
>>899665
and actually, I took them off.
The only thing I ever really used them for was to hang my helmet on once in a while.
>>
>>899665
that position looks neither useful nor comfortable.

>>899666
checked. our dark lord approves of your discarding of that stupid bullshit.
>>
>>899665
Oh that's interesting, I never would have thought of that.
>>899666
So I see the devil rides with a helmet, no excuses now bros
>>
>>899499
You save a lot of money going from driving to cycling. I also find that I rarely if ever get public transport, I would rather ride and not deal with the headache. Riding is so reliable and enjoyable.
>>
>>899499
>To the poor, a cage is a status symbol
My family is all about being hood rich, they drive big SUVs and lifted trucks and live in shitty rundown houses. One of my uncles was having health issues and needed to lose weight and get exercise so I built him a 90s rigid mtnbike with city tires and now he commutes to work and is getting in good shape yet people still look down on it and wonder when he's going to get another car like... they look at him like HE is poor yet he's actually been able to save so much money. It's such a fucked up look at the world. No wonder rent-to-own stores work so well near ghetto areas.
>>
>>899678
You are the best nephew, got pics of the bike? I love me a good 90s rigid mtb!
>>
>>898782
When I worked in a shop a few years back we warrantied a ton of Linus wheels and hubs. That shit was junk
>>
>>899687
Yep, I had my Linus back wheel warrantied. What about the rest of teh bike?
>>
>>899227

inb4 2 rivendell threads >>898247
>>
File: dem bars 2.jpg (133 KB, 1024x722) Image search: [Google]
dem bars 2.jpg
133 KB, 1024x722
>>899463
Omg, I knew I'd seen this and your little companion before
>>
>>899872
He fell out somewhere while doing single track last spring.
RIP in peace lil buddy
>>
>>899879
sleep tight lil buddy ;~;
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.