[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I slammed my stem on my OTS. Do you guys like it? Post pictures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 4.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
I slammed my stem on my OTS. Do you guys like it?

Post pictures of your OTS ITT.
>>
This is what we have the PYBT for OP.
>>
>>898602
Why? its a touring bike. uhhh, such a fag!
>>
>>898613
>it has a rack
>It must be a touring bike!
>>
That's not slammed.
>>
>>898633
Are you retarded m8? It's a quill stem, that's as low as they can go.
>what is adjustable race
>what is locknut
>>
>>898602
looks good m8, now get yourself a better set of brake levers
>>
>>898654
I have better brake levers on my other bikes but I want to keep this one with the 80s look. I don't want anything fancy or modern on it. I do need better brake pads though, fuck the brake pads that came with it.
>>
>>898657
get some hoods on the fuckers then
>>
>>898669
Why?
>>
SLAM
EVERY
STEM
>>
>>898672
More comfy hand positions, senpai

Dia-Compe still makes some nice non-aero levers with full hoods that would do the job nicely
>>
>>898674
But I don't need more comfy hand positions, I ride the drops 96% of the time and I like the old 80s look without hoods and I don't normally do my long rides on this bike. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
>>898680
80's bikes all had hoods...
>>
>>898650

Boy that is one huge locknut, or maybe there's two of them, or maybe there's spacers, can't really make out what's going on there
>>
File: homerhutzpalm.jpg (136 KB, 1002x769) Image search: [Google]
homerhutzpalm.jpg
136 KB, 1002x769
>>898680
>I ride the drops 96% of the time
>>
>>898714
In the 80s, frame design and fit were geared towards people spending most of their time in the drops. That's why the levers on OP's bike are positioned as they are. In the drops, he's likely in about the same position people on modern bikes are when their hands are on the hoods.
>>
>>898751

Not with a slammed stem he isn't
>>
>>898685
There's kind of a few definitions of hoods. Some may be "incorrect" but regardless, some people refer to the whole lever/mount system as a hood, some refer to the rubber cover as a hood...
>>898713
No spacers. Top race, adjustable race, and locknut.
>>898714
>being casual
>facepalming at others for not being casual
>>
File: headset.jpg (61 KB, 538x526) Image search: [Google]
headset.jpg
61 KB, 538x526
>>898713
It is a weird headset design. The adjustable race doesn't have wrench flats, and on the top it has some teeth thing that another piece fits into, so it's almost like it's a 2-part adjustable race, and then the locknut itself is pretty tall, only the top half has wrench flats.
>>
>>898751
Nope. People don't seem to understand this, the hoods are not significantly lower than where they used to be. The drops and the hoods are in roughly the same place if you don't cherry pick. What was lowered was the tops in order to flatten out the rams, which in turn lowers the stem height.

And by the 80's hoods were in common use. You can find lots of pictures with Fignon, Hinault and Lemond in the hoods.
>>
>>898804
You just hold the top race in place it your hand. The toothed washer is so it doesn't rotate relative to the top race.
>>
>>898806
>You just hold the top race in place it your hand.
Yeah I know
>The toothed washer is so it doesn't rotate relative to the top race.
Makes sense, thanks for the info. I guess that explains why other headsets need wrench flats on the adjustable race and this one doesn't. How common is this (toothed washer) design?
>>
>>898804
I-is that a rinko headset?
>>
>>898822
No idea, I got the bike from a guy on Craigslist and that's the headset it came with. It's a Japanese bike from early-mid 80s if that tells you anything.
>>
>>898822
No, rinko is knurled on the top too and has a large flange for leverage.
>>
>>898680
Have fun up the hill bro
>>
Tfw can't slam my ots stem because it becomes loose if you do
>>
>>898680
My bike from the 70s has hoods. If you want to be model specific say so, if you don't know how to put hoods on watch a vid.
>>
>>900067
Let him retrogrouch in peace
>>
File: 1447933480431.jpg (63 KB, 640x371) Image search: [Google]
1447933480431.jpg
63 KB, 640x371
>>898673
Das wat am talk bout
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.