[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bbg/ - Bike buying General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: bbg.jpg (79 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
bbg.jpg
79 KB, 306x306
Old thread 300+
>>
Should I buy a shim or a used carbon seatpost. Shim plus a 27.2mm seatpost should be slightly lighter, but not by much. I expect any comfort added by the carbon will be countered by the larger diameter. My plans for getting a used Thompson ended when the guy decided there weren't enough bids and pulled the auction.

The problem I see with the shim is that apparently water can do down the crack because there is no seal.
>>
>>898153
You'll be fine either way - seatposts contribute almost nothing to bike comfort unless you get a suspension seatpost, and the tiny gap created by a shim is nothing to worry about unless you're storing your bike outside and exposed to the weather.
>>
>>898153
woudln't this be /bqg/?
also I don't see what the hangup is people have about thompson seatposts.
>>
Is Apollo a reputable company?
>>
>>898213

They have some great stuff and some awful BSOs.
>>
About to buy a second hand dolan preffisio frame + forks for my year-round commuting needs (and some longer excursions when the spring/summer rolls around too) so I want the option of panniers and rack. I'll be sticking on a shimano tiagra component set.

Should I go for it or get the ribble audax frame instead?
>>
>>898227

Also unsure what rack and panniers I should get as I've never used 'em before. I'm from Ireland so can shop in the uk or eu shops.
>>
>>898230
I just spent the last 2 months obsessively sperging over racks and panniers for commuting

I finally bought a tubus vega evo and ortlieb front roller classics

Save yourself the autism and just buy what I bought, they are awesome
>>
>>898236

I'm pretty familiar with that feel. I think I'm going to have to splurge for the ortliebs as the weather is so shit here. However, may I ask why you went for tubus as opposed to the far far cheaper tortec ultralite? I'm not going to be using this bike as a beast of burden, or at least I don't think I will be.
>>
>>898252
I'm not familiar with the tortec but I had my eyes on a much cheaper rack, then I saw a guy on the bike path and accosted him into showing me his rack. I was disturbed by how unstable it was, did some research, and found that swaying is a common issue with less expensive racks.
>>
>>898236
Tubus is nice but the paint always come off and for some reason it rusts faster than any other steel equipment i know.
>>
>>898255

What kinda bike do you have yours mounted on? How high is it over the wheel? Cheers for the replies, btw.
>>
I'm looking for a decent steel frameset with a drop-bar touring geometry for 700 wheels at a 52/53 size (so no surly). Also i'm in Europe. Where can i find that?
>>
>>898259
It's a Charge Plug 4

I'm using the lower of the two eyelets (upper being used by the fender strut). The bottom edge of the rail is about 7/8ths of an inch above the fender. I'm not going to convert that because I'm sure SI brochure guy is going to come in here and blow off some steam, and I wouldn't want to deny him that.
>>
>>898262
why would you want 700c?
it's not going to give you good geometry. Also, 2" wide tires are sweet for cornering, and loose terrain.

you'll either have mad toe overlap or weird weight distribution.

but maybe look into kona, or jamis, or fuji.
I'm a burgerfag, so I don't know very much about euro only brands.
>>
>>898267
Thanks. The reason i want 700c is because i already have good wheels and tyres in that size (Mavic A729 with XT hub and dynamo).
>>
File: 1436342935182.jpg (901 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
1436342935182.jpg
901 KB, 2048x1366
I'm back from the last /bbg/ I found this 90's rigid mtb and I wanted to get a second opinion. When I spoke to him he said

>The dimension from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube is 18". When I purchased the bike from a snowbird I knew it was technically to small for me (I am six feet tall), so to correct I installed an extra long seat post to gain another inch or two of vertical extension. The stand over height is 29" which I am fine with for how I have used the bike (commute, hauling groceries, sightseeing). The dimension from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube is 21". That makes for an upright position for me which is okay for how I use the bike -- the urban traffic situation, but it's comfortable. The wheelbase is 43" and the tire size is 26". I think it can fit most anybody.

I'm a 5'9 manlet so I should be Gucci right?
https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/5315005894.html

Pic aesthetic but unrelated
>>
>>898352
>https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/5315005894.html
looks good, I love that color and it's a cool frame aside from the under-the-chainstay U-brakes, but you shouldn't have much issue with mud in Tucson so they're okay. If you have experience cycling and are used to spinning your cranks at high cadences you'll probably hate those biopace rings, but that's easily changed later if desired. Price seems reasonable for a bike that appears to be very well cared for, I say go for it.
>>
>>898352

I think the price is redicioulus.
really.
is the bike market so different in the US or am I not getting something here.
>>
>>898483
In most of the US outside of a few major cities where used bike prices are a lot higher, $100 is about the lowest a decent bike ever goes for, below that you get usually see garbage or the rare person practically giving a bike a bike away. $200 is about max value on the bike in question, and it's only worth that because it's near perfect as used bikes go: complete, clean, doesn't need new consumables and seller appears to know what they're doing. Put it in a retail shop that sold used bikes and they'd be asking 3-400 with a limited warranty and totally clean chainrings.
>>
File: arizona_tears.jpg (81 KB, 500x739) Image search: [Google]
arizona_tears.jpg
81 KB, 500x739
>>898483
Not sure where you're from but in the US and in Tucson if we are speaking specifically there's a strange market for bikes. On one hand there's the 4000 dollar bikes that only freds from the north can afford and then shitty bso Walmart bikes left to die from the south. I live around the middle of that so stuff on cl is either shitty or too expensive.
>>
no answer in the last thread, hoping for some opinions or suggestions on a gravel or cyclocross type bike:

thinking about getting a gravel bike or cyclocross bike for winter and general dirty riding. hopefully low price, 600-1200 max. steel/aluminium welcome, carbon only if it's cheap

my road bike has ultegra and i've only ever had shimano, looking to branch out into sram possibly.
how are planetx bikes for this?
ex:
https://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/CBPXXLSAPEX/planet-x-xls-sram-apex-cyclocross-bike

https://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/CBPXKAFFAPEX/planet-x-kaffenback-sram-apex-road-bike

https://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/CBPXLDNRDAPEX/planet-x-london-road-sram-apex-bike

the london road one is also available with sram rival, 11 speed. is it worth the extra 140 though? other bike suggestions welcome
>>
>>898262

Off the top of my head: Genesis CdF/CdA, Cotic Escapade, Planet X Kaffenback
>>
anyone know of a good single speed kit? I have an old mtb with gears that are fucked. need something with washers, chain tensioner, and cog to put on my cassette.

I also need a fork (26" tires)
>>
File: $_20 (2).jpg (60 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
$_20 (2).jpg
60 KB, 800x450
What do you think of this for 250 euro money?

Brand is cratoni. Did some research but all I could find was that they were a small manufacturer from italy.

I'd ditch the ugly aerobars and use it as a beater/commuter in the city.
>>
>>898982
Forks don't have tires
>>
Thinking about buying my first bike today. Local bike shop down the road. I've no clue what I'm getting into, this is my first time on /n/ and I know very little about the subject

Anything I should look out for, ask about, or avoid? I was planning on just asking for advice there, but I assume they'd try to upsale me on things I don't really need
>>
>>898988
USED
>>
>>899014

I don't feel comfortable buying a used bike since I don't know what to look out for to make sure it doesn't fall apart on me

Price isn't too much of a concern, I just want to make sure I get something decent and practical
>>
>>898988

Go to your LBS, try a bunch of bikes, then buy online the one you liked the most
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (89 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
89 KB, 800x600
Giant Peleton 7400, 58cm frame
brifters still work, rear derailleur needs fixing (may be just the bowden cable is fucked, seller hasn't checked)
80 euros
Should I? I'd use it as a backup roadbike or maybe turn it into a cx or something. It seems like a good deal.
>>
>>899279
I see no reason not to buy this bike. Wouldn't expect it to have much clearance for CX tires though...
>>
I'm thinking about getting my first bmx bike, and i saw this one on craigslist for 60$.
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/5323700991.html
I think its pretty sketch since its only 60$. For sizing, i am 6ft 2in, would this ride fine for my height?

I already have 3 other bikes(a road, fixie, and a Mtb), I have always wanted to try bmx.
so for $60, is it worth?
>>
>>899436
To be good at BMX you have to start riding before age 10. And you become officially too old for BMX at age 22.
>>
File: Lync5.png (823 KB, 3000x2175) Image search: [Google]
Lync5.png
823 KB, 3000x2175
What's /n/'s opinion on the Lync 5?

I am thinking of buying it for a commuter/grocery getter.

The built in lights seem pretty neat since I do commute during the early hours while it's still dark. I also like the idea of the belt drive. I live in the Pacific northwest and I like the idea of the low maintenance belt.
>>
>>899452
And good news for you, you can never be too old to be a faggot.
>>
>>899613
I've worked on a couple of those lync bikes, I like the concept, but not the execution: the integrated lights are neat, but they should have gone into the handlebar, not the headtube (light doesn't point where you're steering during a turn), the bump guards could have been placed better, and the rear rack should have a top platform (because not everything can be fit inside a pannier) - though I do really like how the rack mounts to the frame. Take away some of the gimmicks and the lyncs are ordinary hybrids - you could do much worse when buying a new commuter bike, but they're not the best thing ever. And belt drive is super badass as long as you live somewhere flat or can afford a Rohlhoff, otherwise I don't think they're worth the tradeoff of losing derailer gearing.

>>899628
There's no party like a lemonparty!
>>
What do you guys think? This a good deal or are these rubbish?
https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5326595437.html
>>
>>899901
It's a pretty low-tier bike, but if everything works smoothly and nothing rattles/wobbles/squeaks/whatever, and it fits you, it's a decent enough deal
>>
>>899901
Would be a cool fixie
>>
>>899904
OK thanks. Hope to test ride soon.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (383 KB, 1600x1059) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
383 KB, 1600x1059
Not overly familiar with bikes but I am in the market for a steel frame commuter. If i can get this baby for around $100 aud and stick a pannier on it would it be a good buy? Its in my size and ive been commuting on a way too small bike for too long
>>
>>900050
Caps for importance:
THAT STEM LOOKS LIKE AN AVA STEM. IF IT IS, DO NOT BUY.
Ava brand stems came on a lot of older french bikes and have been nicknamed "death stems". You might get by fine, but better not to push your luck. Replacing the stem is also not the best idea since they used different dimensions. You'd need to sand down either the headset or stem, then find new handlebars.

Other things that may turn you off:
It will probably be heavy
Those look like 27" wheels
That model may have wacky french dimensions
Friction shifting

I bought an old Peugeot with all of those problems (albeit at half the price) and I still think it was a good buy.
Replacing the handlebars or BB could be a major pain if the need arises if it uses french dimensions, but I think sunlite makes a good threadless BB.
If those are 27" rims, make sure they aren't steel. Steel rims fucking suck.
You may not find friction shifting as a bad thing, but only a few people don't. It's not too bad once you get used to it, but indexed is just so much more convenient.

Apart from that, if everything works on it mechanically, I'd say it's a good deal. Older french bikes are pretty comfy.
Although, if you're just looking for something cheap that will last as a main bike, I don't know if I can recommend it. If something breaks, it will be more expensive to replace than a modern bike and the part may be harder to find.
I'd still buy it since I love older french bikes, but it may not be for you if the problems mentioned above seem to daunting.
>>
File: bike.jpg (49 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
49 KB, 480x480
Are the cheapo bikes from Target good? I need a bike, mostly for commuting ~2 miles each way for work. When spring hits I might also consider doing some trail riding, nothing too adventurous though. So I don't think I need a high-quality bike.

There are some hills on the commute and I might bike through some snow/slush (though if it were too bad I'd just take the bus), so I do want a mountain bike. I've looked at thrift stores and the bikes I found are kind of junky, I imagine if you know a lot about bikes you can make it work but not for me. Craigslist has some bikes, but looking at the prices it would be around 80-100 for one off Craigslist, where there would still be questions about what exactly I'm getting, or I can just get one new from Target for $120.

So what's the verdict on cheap bikes? Will they get me from point A to point B reliably and hold up well enough? Or is it basically junk that's going to fall apart a year from now?

This is one that I'm looking at:
http://www.target.com/p/men-s-magna-outreach-bike-grey-26/-/A-14892991#prodSlot=_1_7
>>
>>900050
dem sexy fenders doe
>>
>>900244

noooooo
>>
>>900062
>friction shifting
>problem
>>
>>899913
you could do a lot better
>>
>>900272
>>900062
>You may not find friction shifting as a bad thing
>>
>>900319
Indexing ain't convenient when you're constantly adjusting to keep it in tune, but i missed that bit, apologies.

Personally I find it refreshing whenever I switch from one to the other, friction feels great when I haven't used it for awhile, so does index. If I want to shift multiple gears at once with DT shifters, all I have to do is slam on the lever, rather than fuck around clicking 3 times like I would with brifters. Friction never goes out of tune, and DT is honestly more convenient to access in quite a few hand positions, especially if your hoods are angled in a way that makes access to the levers from the drops less than perfect
>>
>>900320
PLUS the overzealous spring action when shifting down in the front with brifters that's liable to throw your chain if you're not careful and makes a hideous clunk (although my understanding is shimano has progressively reduced spring tension on front derailleurs in the past years, my indexed group being first generation 8-speed 600 Ultegra brifters.

This article:
http://bicyclepointofview.blogspot.ca/2013/10/why-i-will-never-go-back-to-brifters.html
also points out quite a few reasons brifters are less than ideal for training, offering a handicap that keeps people from effectively learning their gear ratios and adjusting accordingly, shifting too often without knowing what ratio they're shifting to and riding less efficiently because of it.

Last and most certainly least, if you're a real fuckin weight weenie, you're not gonna do any better than the Dura Ace downtube shifters
>>
>>900320
I can definitely agree on those points.
Shimano made an excellent decision in making DT shifters that can switch between index and friction.
What's that? Derailleur got misaligned mid-ride? Just flip to friction and keep going. You don't even have to dismount.

Kind of a shame that they started making the right shifter indexed only. I guess I can see the point of not wanting to even try friction on an 11 speed, but how hard would it have been to include friction anyway?
>>
>>900324
Who knows, maybe they saved 2 grams removing that lil mechanism or something haha

Well my 8 speed indexed drivetrain has barrel adjusters mounted on the downtube bosses you can access mid-ride like you can downtube shifters, so if your derailleur goes out of tune you can kinda make minute tension adjustments mid ride. Idk when they stopped doing this, but it's kinda a shame. Bigtime downside to all the modern bikes running cables internally IMO. Although perhaps the system on my bike is just a byproduct of a transitional period where a given frame needed to be designed to accept both brifters and downtube shifters?
>>
>>900326
I think it's probably due to the transition.
I have an entry level bike from 2000 that had barrel adjusters, but the models above it didn't.
They were really useful when my brifters when out and I could just switch to DT.
>>
>>900330
Still, having those barrel adjusters is handy!
>>
>>900333
I didn't even notice how handy barrel adjusters/ downtube mounts could be until I needed them and didn't have them.

I have a giant that came with thumb shifters and no DT mounts. I'd kill to get those thumb shifters off, but it's a 2x7 and only microshift seems to make decent 2x7 brifters.
>>
>>900336
You don't think the spacing could accommodate 8 speed? I mean it's a bit of a can of worms I suppose, you'd at LEAST need a new freehub body & shifters, cassette & chain
>>
>>900337
I could probably cold set the frame, but I don't have very much sink into it, and everything needed to switch to 8 speed with brifters would at least double it.

It's not super high quality, but it was a good rain bike and af fun ride. Maybe I'll put a set of bar end shifters on it one day, but I have other projects that take priority now
>>
>>900340
You could probably just buy a clamp to mount downtubes onto as well
>>
>>900244
no
>>
>>900343
I probably could, but it'd look really ugly with the cable routing the frame has.
>>
>>900353
ah

Retrofitting sure can be a pain eh?
>>
>>900355
Tell me about it.
I have a Peugeot I've been building into a SS and it's fought me every step of the way. French threaded BB, wacky wheel spacing, wacky stem and handlebar sizes. If only it wasn't so cool and comfy.
>>
File: DSCN0501.jpg (4 MB, 3864x3864) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0501.jpg
4 MB, 3864x3864
>>900359
Retrofitting is one thing, the french are another. I do a bit of rebuilding for profit in the summertime and after overhauling 2 PX10's, I can tell you I never want to see another fucking Peugeot in my life. Turned out though yeah?
>>
File: DSCN0488.jpg (4 MB, 3864x3864) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0488.jpg
4 MB, 3864x3864
>>900362
Should have hoarded those suntour ratchet shifters....

Anyways here's the other one
>>
>mfw my dad just randomly bought himself a customised £3000 bike even though he never cycles
>>
>>900362
>>900364
Those are beautiful, even more so when you know the amount of work that went into them. How much did you get out them?
>>
>>900268
>>900348
um... can you elaborate on that at all? Why no?
>>
File: Raleigh record.jpg (1004 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
Raleigh record.jpg
1004 KB, 2048x2048
>>900366
$440 for the green one, I built it up custom for a girl I know, of that $270 was profit, and I put about 12 hours in. Most of which being gruelling rust sanding, polishing and retouching though.

The white one I sold it to a friend and only got $300. I took a total beating on it to be honest, but the season was changing and the market was slowing down and I couldn't afford to be patient. Easily could have got $400 with a little patience in the peak Spring / Summer market. Only $120 profit and I put in 18 hours. Fucking horrible. Of course it was a learning experience, I'm better at rust removal / touch up jobs now and I know never to touch one of those french pieces of shit ever again haha

Realistically the only thing that makes these bikes even remotely close to worth those sums is aesthetics and our insanely inflated market. Here's a Raleigh mixte I did!
>>900367
Would you rely on something you bought at the dollar store? What more do you need to know?
>>
>>900369
You were able to get PX10 frames for less than $200? Lucky bastard.
I can't really blame you for not wanting to touch them ever again. I just really love how mine rides. All of the compliments I get on it don't hurt either.

I'm always kind of surprised that people will pay that much for a PX10.
>>
File: 618gt.jpg (155 KB, 2048x1150) Image search: [Google]
618gt.jpg
155 KB, 2048x1150
>>900371
I wouldn't say lucky. They were both pretty rusty, and they're heavier than fuck, too. Don't get me wrong though those old heavy steel frames absorb shock like nothing else, definitely a cozy ride. Just test riding the PX10 after riding my Cannondale all the time had me turning my nose up pretty hard. The components just weren't as mechanically sound.
I paid $80 for the green one with fried tires and no derailleurs, and reluctantly $120 for the white. Player talkin' shit about how he just put the fried ass tires on it a year ago so they should be fine, obviously only spent $20 on the set. Honestly I'd say anyone who thinks one of those bikes is worth anything probably has bicycle knowledge that doesn't extend far past aesthetics. I just play the market. I got a Miyata 618GT for my friend for $100 a couple weeks ago. Now that's a fuckin score.
>>
>>900373
I'd buy one, I just wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near market value for one. I managed to pick up my Peugeot from an old lady for $50 without wheels. I had a set of SS wheels lying around, so I managed to get it running for about $100. I ended up completely fucking those wheels in a wreck when I was going balls to the wall with a friend tho, and it's just sat ever since. I'll probably get a new set of wheels for it one day, but my more recent builds take priority.

That Miyata is a steal. I don't know if I would have parted with it that easily.
I'm currently working on a Bianchi Limited that I posted here:
>>899663
>>899664
>>899667

That was the best deal I've gotten in a long time for $100.
>>
File: before and after.jpg (694 KB, 2242x720) Image search: [Google]
before and after.jpg
694 KB, 2242x720
>>900379
Well it didn't fit me so I passed it along. Oh that was your limited? Sick steal man. I'm the OP in that thread.

I paid $160 for Sophie. She's a 1985 Cannondale ST-400. Full Shimano 600 Groupset, Araya Red Label rims, Sansin sealed system hubs, leather Vetta saddle. Just finished rebuilding / repainting / replacing the decals on her. Rebuilt the brake calipers with new springs, replaced the BB, polished all the components.
>>
>>900382
If that rides half as comfy as it looks, I can see why you would be turning your nose up at a PX10.

I just realized that we completely highjacked this thread. Oh well, this board is slow enough that it doesn't matter.
>>
File: R900.jpg (69 KB, 960x539) Image search: [Google]
R900.jpg
69 KB, 960x539
>>900384
It's aluminum with a chro-mo fork and it's actually really really cozy. More than I can say for this jackhammer
Used to have an old Tange 2 Nishiki though and that's a really great steel frame. Ishiwata's great too I bet you're enjoying that bianchi!
>>
>>900386
My Trek 1000 Aluminum has a cro-mo fork and it makes a much bigger difference than I thought. I expected it to be really rough when I first got on it, but that sport geometry and cro-mo fork are surprisingly comfy. That's the bike from 2000 I mentioned.

I think that the Bianchi is really going to give it a run for it's money, though. You're right about that Ishiwata. It's more comfortable and almost as light, especially with the lighter wheelset.
>>
>>900390
Ah I really like the looks of those treks. I would think it would have a carbon fork from that era though! Is it threaded?
>>
>>900386
nigga that C-dale don't even have cantilevered rear dropouts
>pansy detected
>>
File: reluctantdog.webm (211 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
reluctantdog.webm
211 KB, 480x480
I need some help locating a good quality RIGID 90'S MTB on my local craigslist. Rains are going to start soon and I'd like to convert it into my foul weather commuter.

Height: 6'3"
Inseam: 34"
Budget: under $200
Craigslist Link: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/bia?
>>
>>900365
What why?
>>
>>900663
No idea
>mfw this is at a time when the family is low on cash and is trying to save wherever possible
>>
anybody have opinions on mercier kilo WTs?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott-wt-fixie-wide-tire.htm
>>
>>900675
midlife crisis? too poor to buy a sports car I suppose.
>>
>>900681
He's 60 and has two sports cars
>>
>order from pbk
>comes with FREE tyre levers
>wait forever for shipping
>tyre levels go out of stock
>sorry we are out of tyre levels so we are canceling it
>we will issue you a full refund for the complete cost of FREE
>week later tyre levers are back in stock
Fucking PBK. I swear to fucking god I am just going to fucking do a chargeback on them because seriously fuck their shit.
>>
Super newfag here. Looking for a bike that rides well on pavement. Commute/adventure bike. Might want a trailer eventually. I'm 5'7".
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/i/bikes
What's good?
>>
>>898150
Hey /n/, today I picked up a used Trek Crossrip Comp for 599. Did I do good? I'm mostly using it for commuting on rough NYC streets and also the occasional light touring.

Specs are here:
http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/trek-crossrip-comp-210791-1.htm

The one I bought is mostly stock except with some added fenders and better platform pedals.
>>
File: 1448395638002.png (699 KB, 1555x713) Image search: [Google]
1448395638002.png
699 KB, 1555x713
>>900802
Sorry, by 599 I mean $599 USD. Also here is the pic from the listing:
>>
File: 00f0f_6l57vb8GeFX_600x450.jpg (31 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00f0f_6l57vb8GeFX_600x450.jpg
31 KB, 600x337
$35 on Craigslist. I'm just a college student that wants to start riding.
>>
>>900866
if there's any rust talk them down and ride it

flip those bars back upright though
>>
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/taperoo/bicycles/carbon-wheel-set-swissside-hadron-625/1096191450

Should I get these? According to the manufacturer's site the pair is under 1700 g (without rim tape) for a 62mm deep rim. Seems strangely low for a wheel with an alu brake track.
>>
someone in toronto pls buy this so i don't have to ?

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/5328846619.html
>>
>>901095
>http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/5328846619.html
>The reason I am selling? I want to try a different kind of bike called a fixie

lel
>>
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/5333436732.html
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bik/5307104902.html
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/5333401084.html
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/5327310613.html

Which should I get? I'm 5'7, looking for commuter that can handle a lot of usage. 12 mi/day pavement.
>>
>>901355
Those first two are far too large for you, I'd say.

The other two are probably not bad but wouldn't necessary call them "commuters". If you don't mind riding with a backpack it wouldn't be a huge problem.
>>
>>901359
Why would I need a backpack? Too light of a bike?
>>
>>901362
Neither of those two frames will allow you mount racks (or fenders), so your cargo capacity will be limited to a backpack, seatbag, or maybe a small handlebar bag.
>>
>>901364
Ah, I see. . . Thanks a lot for your input. I'll maybe wait a bit to see if anything better turns up. I have some time to wait.
>>
Is buying from ebay a good decision? My local client has consistently crap selection and I'd like to see if I can save some $ by buying used or older model.
>>
>>901475
ebay is excellent for the buyer, you'll have more protection if it ends up being a bad deal. go for it
>>
>>901499
Good to know. Thanks.
>>
I want to buy a minivelo, I think they are cute as fug. I already have two singlespeeds, a mtnbike and a roadie so I'm just looking for a different smaller bike.
Probably just riding around the canal trails here and quick store runs.
Budget of 500-700 depending on shipping

anyone have one? or have experience with buying one online? I'm just now looking through sites but I see mostly single speeds but I would preferred a geared one
>>
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/bik

Purpose: Commuting, cafe runs
Type: Road, Randonneur, Cyclocross
Budget: >$1000

Need a beater bike or something inexpensive and fun to ride. I will be locking the bike up on racks outside for possibly up to 2 hours. Not looking for anything too flashy. Downtube shifters are fine or even early brifters.
>>
Hi /n/, I know this says aluminum but aren't these usually alloy frames?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Gt-Gutterball-/172001173631?nav=SEARCH
Also copperknot?
>>
>>901640
1. usually "alloy" in bikespeak refers to aluminum
2. technically all kinds of steel and aluminum are alloys
3. if it had a headset and fork maybe, but at that price I wouldn't buy it myself, wait for a better deal if you want to build a basic fixed gear

>>901604
we need to know how tall you are
>>
>>901657
5'9"
>>
>>901657
Wrong, aluminum is an element.
>>
>>901723
child, do you actually think your bike tubes are made out of elemental aluminum? do you think that box of Reynolds wrap in your kitchen is?

"gold" jewelry is seldom elemental (i.e. 24kt) but we still say it's gold. it's not a lie, that's just the common parlance
>>
>>901763
>2. technically all kinds of steel and aluminum are alloys
Steel is an alloy, not an element. Aluminum is an element.
>>
File: miss the point.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
miss the point.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
>>901765
yeah, but that ain't what's in your bike.

http://www.onealsteel.com/aluminum-tube-6061.html

>6061 aluminum tubes are commonly used for… bike frames, railings and truck racks.

contains iron, magnesium, etc.

that's what the different numbers mean, every mfr uses different numbers. if it was all pure elemental alu, they wouldn't need different designations, now would they?

I win, boy-o
>>
>>901777
Except you don't, because you went out of your way to make a false statement. Don't give technical definitions that are technically wrong.
>>
>>901763
I thought reynolds made steel frames tho
>>
File: reynolds-wrap.png (73 KB, 349x156) Image search: [Google]
reynolds-wrap.png
73 KB, 349x156
>>901783
you're being willfully obtuse.

he wasn't making a false statement when, in the context of bikes, that "2. technically all kinds of steel and aluminum are alloys." no bike has ever been pure elemental aluminum. but we still just say they're "aluminum." he was just pointing it out. if he had said "2. technically all kinds of steel and aluminum BIKE TUBES are alloys," that would have been more precise, but given the context, he went for brevity. You and the other autist cannot into context clues and were apparently under the delusion that alu bikes were actually made from pure alu. now you know. fuck you.

>>901785
not that, pic related
>>
>>901789
I was just joshin
>>
>>901789
>when in the context of bikes
Then there was no need for him to talk about technicalities. And when you give 3 different explanations for alloy, you're not going for brevity. Steel is by definition an alloy, aluminum is an element, along with titanium.
>>
how are bikesdirect bikes? it seems too good to be true in terms of components/cost, which in my experience often means it is but sometimes now.
>>
>>901838
Bike shots charge $100 for set up costs. If you take a BD bike box there, that's how much it will cost you. Then a bike shop has the overhead of having a retail location and having stock on hand. The only benefit bike shops get is the marketing power of the brands they stock.
>>
>>901841
are they feasible to self-build if i have a solid tool set and good general (but not necessarily bike-specific) mechanical knowledge and common sense?
>>
>>901843
Yes, just like it's possible to change your own oil. I have no idea how Jiffy Lube does it so cheap though.

Bikesdirect also tends to cut more corners to bring prices down, but you still aren't paying for retail overhead, extensive marketing, set-up etc.
>>
File: Arizona state seal.png (52 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
Arizona state seal.png
52 KB, 200x201
Looking to buy a beater bike that I can lock outside of work (minimum five hours). The kick is that I work at a hardware store and there are tons of tools I could sell to a customer to cut through a bike lock. Need help finding a beater bike that isn't walmart/target tier shit, that is cheap, and upright.
phoenix(dot)craigslist.org/cph/bik/5317414735.html
phoenix(dot)craigslist.org/evl/bik/5303790424.html
>>
>>901869
>(dot)
Stop that, newfag
>>
>>901869
Both look okay and fairly priced. Raleigh should work if you're about 6' or a little shorter, Schwinn if you're 5'8 or so
>>
>>901875
Schwinn it is, thanks for the help.
>>
>>898554
+1 kaffenbac is good but eavy
>>
This a good deal?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/5329121334.html
>>
>>902145
It's a fair asking price, $1300 is close to what it would cost to build that bike from parts, not counting shipping and or assigning any value to the labor that went into putting it altogether.
>>
File: entity_6162_1.jpg (104 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
entity_6162_1.jpg
104 KB, 1000x700
I'm looking for my first road bike. I want to use it generally for long day and weekend trips in the Netherlands, and in the near future also for commuting.
Currently I'm leaning towards the Specialized AWOL Elite 2016 (pic related).
It's got the new Tiagra 10 discs 11-34 and 46/34, with the cable routing like the 105. It'd cost about 1400 euros.

Is there another bike that I should also consider in the same price range, with the same features such as drop bars, wide tires, fenders, and racks?
>>
So how much bad of an idea is it to buy a hybrid/crosstrail?

I'm quite new to cycling and I've taken an interest to touring and going on long paths so it might be a good idea to get a light touring bike. However I live in South America, where there's plenty of hazards along the road, plus there's a lot of off road trails I'd like to explore, hence why I'm considering the hybrid type.

Does anyone have an idea of how rough of a terrain one of these hybrids can stand? Would it be better to just go with a MTB and tour with that instead?
>>
looks like a great bike, most companies make a touring bike but few sell them with racks and fenders pre-installed. Most popular is the surly LHT or Surly Disc Trucker. You will have to buy your own racks and fenders.
>>
File: 51SXCULb1lL.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51SXCULb1lL.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
>Nashbar AT1 29er Mountain Bike
Can I do better. My last bike was stolen and Im currently a poorfag whos been without a bike for a year or two. Id end up upgrading this bike heavily if I got it.
I use my bike for pretty much everything. commuting, mountain trail, etc. I kinda want disc brakes because I ride in the rain but cant have that in this price range. Id eventually make this a monstercross though.
>>
>>902583
forgot
>$185
>>
>>902474
Yeah, I actually was expecting that part and have no problem with it. I'd figure the racks and fenders included in any bike out of the box wouldn't be the best so It'd probably be better to buy them separately.

My main issue with these hybrid types is to know how rough of a trail can they go through, I mean, is the front suspension a gimmick or could you go go rather smoothly through some moderate downhill or rocky terrain?
>>
>>902594
>front suspension a gimmick
>>
>>902596
Well yeah, not on its own but on a bike that couldn't manage to traverse rough terrain anyway given its design, the front suspension feels like overkill, but anyways thanks for answering because it's only a doubt I had.
>>
>>902610
it's true though. front suspension is a gimmick.
>>
Is it ever worth it to finance a bike?
>>
>>902652
Sure.
If you can use or invest the money that would have originally been used to buy the bike all at once to instead generate value faster than the interest can accrue.
>>
>>901567
Go to Rakuten Global Market.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kaminorth/item/10011535/

I've been looking from afar because I already have too many bikes, but I'm still thinking about it... Also, just google it already, you'll find plenty of models and info.
>>
>>902710
>just google it already
yeah I did after I made the post and found rakuten and even one on ebay but it was like sickly pink. I was mainly just asking since I saw a minivelo thread a while ago and thought to ask first in case someone new of a sale since BF/CM were coming at the time.
That one looks nice though thanks and while I agree with n+1 I think I might sell a single speed to free up some space for a minivelo
>>
>>902710
>those useless fenders/mudguards
>>
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/5337123787.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/5342025241.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/5341995482.html

Wanting to ride a bike 15 miles a day for work. 5'7". How are these bikes, /n/? How exact does the sizing need to be?
>>
>>902966
You'd likely fit well on road frames ranging from 50cm to 53cm.

>Miyata 615
Nice touring bike, would be an ideal, versatile commuter, price is a little high.

>Centurion
too big

>Specialized
You'd fit on this one fine, but I'd put this second on your list even though the price is good considering everything included - you'd likely need to change the stem at the very least, and those Sora shifters are garbage.
>>
>>902966

The Specialized is the best deal. Sora thumb shifters are kind of weird to get used to, but at least they're sturdy and reliable. And they're better than downtube shifters, no matter what any retrogrouch would tell you. The Miyata is fucking great but way overpriced.
>>
>>903013
>>903024
Thanks. What would be a good price for the Miyata?
>>
>>903052
I'd think closer to $300, but if the seller's asking price isn't unreasonable considering the condition.

>>903024
>Sora thumb shifters
>sturdy and reliable
wut? Those cheap, plastic-filled shifters work okay when new, but I've lost track of how many I've seen in inoperable condition - the design with the thumb button makes them particularly vulnerable to dirt and grit, and the action of mashing that tiny thumb button makes the mech wear out much, much faster than any other STI lever.
>>
>>903055
>the design with the thumb button makes them particularly vulnerable to dirt and grit
I used Sora brifters for two years straight, and while they did get somewhat dirty, it never affected their performance
>and the action of mashing that tiny thumb button makes the mech wear out much, much faster than any other STI lever.
I mash my current Veloce thumb shifter all day erry day and it shows no signs of wear.

Of course I'm talking about personal experience here, but I don't think you should be too harsh on that obsolete technology. It werkz and is cheap. I'd think it'd be much easier to break, say, an Ultegra shifter, than a Sora one.
>>
>>903057
>2 years
>veloce
>>
>>903057
>I mash my current Veloce thumb shifter all day erry day and it shows no signs of wear.
Ergo shifters use a completely different design, they have almost nothing in common with Shimano's thumb-button STI.
>>
>>903055
I recently got a 615 in similar NOS condition for around $425. High, I agree, but bike prices are inflated here in Portland, and I got it at a LBS, which further inflated the price. Really really good bike. Wound up replacing the saddle with a B17 and put VO "hammered" (unlike Honjos, which are actually hammered, VO's fenders are stamped) fenders on it.
>>
>>903024
Sora thumb shifters are the worst. They're in the wrong spot, and they feel like shit. I kinda believe the theory that Shimano made them that way just to make people think that thumb shifters are shit, just to fuck with Campagnolo.
>>
>>903081
>>903055
I took the plunge and got the Specialized with Sora levers. Should I replace them as soon as possible and if so, with what levers? They don't seem too uncomfortable to use, but we'll see. . .
>>
>>903113
Try shifting from the drops. It gets people into the bad habit of hoods 99.9% of the time, and hating the drops. Otherwise, it will break when it breaks, if it breaks.
>>
>>903113
I agree with the other anon, as much as I dislike Sora shifters, you've got them now so just run them until they wear out, then replace.
>>
File: I1GD0.gif (36 KB, 736x403) Image search: [Google]
I1GD0.gif
36 KB, 736x403
>>903114
Is shifting from the hoods is a bad habit?
>>903116
All right, thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>903117
>>903114
Oh, did you mean that it's super difficult to shift with the thumb lever from the drops, and that's why they're bad? I understand now, I think. Strange.
>>
>>903118
Yes, the ergonomics in the drops are terrible, it discourages you from using the drops.
>>
What should I know about buying used bikes to avoid getting ripped off? I'm not looking for anything serious, mostly just a commuter bike. I don't want a piece of junk or something that will fall apart though.

This is one that I'm considering, but have no idea how to judge what shape it's in

Denver.Craigslist.org/bik/5323638127.html

Thanks
>>
>>903166
Your first priority should be to find a bike that fits right - not so big that you can't stand over the frame at a stop, not so small that you can't raise the seatpost for proper leg extension (leg should have slight bend at the bottom of pedal stroke).

And mechanically, just go through all the moving parts and verify everything works, the rims should be close to perfectly straight ("true") when you spin the wheels and not hitting the brake pads, the rubber on the tires should be in good condition (not flaking off or visibly cracking) or else it will need replacing, rust should be minimal (small specks on a steel frame are fine to a point, big paintless 'scrapes' are not), and when you test ride the bike it should steer properly (could be a bent frame if it pulls to one side).

Any problem on a bike can be fixed, most relatively easily and inexpensively, but if you really don't know what you're looking at you should play it safe and only buy a bike that works almost perfectly.
>>
OP is a fuking jew.
>>
>tfw rode a 2016 TCR Advabced and a Defy Advanced
wew lads
fugging hell
>that stiffness
>that comfort
FUGGGGGGG
>>
Should we have a thread just for good deals that we find? Not just bikes, but bike parts too. I´m looking for wide, 650b tubeless wheelset that has good hubs. Something like Hope Pro II x Stan´s Notubes Flow.
>>
File: gtchucker24.jpg (53 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gtchucker24.jpg
53 KB, 800x600
Looking at buying this as my sons first mountain bike, he wants to take it to his local trails and be able to use it for a bit of everything. What do you think /n/?
>>
>>903867
Rule of thumb for kids bikes: if the wheels turn and the brakes function, it's good enough.
>>
>>903875
He's 16 so not exactly a little kid, I wan't to buy him something decent
>>
>>903875
I disagree. My parents always bought good bikes for us growing up, nothing fancy but not BSO trash. Whenever I saw my friends on BSOs I understood that even though we weren't rich, my parents loved me more than their parents loved them. It was not the only evidence (the trashfood they ate was also a giveaway). But it's the big picture that counts and bikes are a part of that picture.
>>
>>903867

Piece of trash, don't buy him that.
>>
Bike n00b here, trying to buy a relatively cheap mountain bike off Craigslist (trying to keep it under $200). How much does brand name matter? I know nothing about Trek or Schwinn or any of the others. I'm mainly using for commute, I don't need it to be high-performance just something reliable that will hold up for at least a year or two. Any brands have a reputation for being reliable (or not)?

Also, bike height. I looked up a bike calculator thing, I'm about 5'9.5" and it said around an 18.5" frame recommended. That seems kind of short, a lot of bikes listed are like 21, 22". If I'm not really looking at serious riding, instead mostly looking for a 2 mile commute (with occasional light trail-riding), what's the window on a larger bike frame? Will a 21" frame just be a little awkward or uncomfortable, or would it be unrideable and possibly lead to injury?
>>
>>903907
Frame sizing is (can be?) different between road bikes and mountain bikes, so to my knowledge an 18" MTB is similar to a 21-22" ish road frame.
>>
File: 1434757622736.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
1434757622736.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>903907

I doubt a frame too big would be unrideable and lead to injury, but do you really want to be uncomfortable on your commute? Comfort is everything.

If you're looking to buy into RIGID 90'S MTB meme:

Trek 930/950/970
Bianchi Grizzly or Peregrine
Bridgestone MB-1/MB-2/MB-3
Panasonic MC-7500/MC-6500/MC-5500
Univega Alpina
Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
Miyata Trail Runner
Peugeot Hurricane/Europe Express
Nishiki Ariel

I would avoid bikes with a U-brake under chainstay, some people like the aesthetic though.
>>
File: 1440968014819.png (19 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1440968014819.png
19 KB, 499x499
Where do I start if I want a decent track bike for training purposes? I don't need a pure racing bike because I wont be doing any serious racing on le track so I'm guessing I'll be looking at some entry level bikes and a few mid-range ones. Any ideas what my budget should be in the current year?

I MEAN SHIT MAN SHOULD I JUST BUY A SHIT FRAME AND PUT ON SOME NICE WHEELS ON IT OR SHOULD I JUST BUY A NICE FRAME AND THROW ON SOME SHIT WHEELS OR MAYBE AN OK FRAME WITH SOME ALRIGHT WHEELS?
>>
I'm looking at somewhere around 20 possible bikes to purchase. However, despite there being a lot of local bike shops, I've only been able to test ride like 5 of them. Is it worth it to try and go elsewhere to test ride more models?
>>
>>903933
an ok frame with alright wheels
>>
Looking to buy a new bike. I live in Australia and am looking to spend around $2000. What's the best bang I can get for my buck?
>>
Is there any real difference between the brands sold via bikesdirect? ie motobecane vs gravity vs kestrel vs whatever else?
>>
File: actual up-to-date track bike.jpg (220 KB, 900x650) Image search: [Google]
actual up-to-date track bike.jpg
220 KB, 900x650
>>903933
Planet X. Put some proper wheels on it when you're ready to win World Championships.
>>
looking to buy a used bike for commuting to work. I narrowed my search down to two bikes witch are my size in good condition and are not stolen.
>merida cycloross 3 2013. Ridden ~2000km,Price- 650 €.

> Focus Mares Ax 4.0 2014. Ridden ~2600 km,Price 540 €. Seller writes that after 2300 km. he changed chain and rear cassette, he also adds sigma bc 16,12 sts computed and shimano spd pedals.

Which one would /n/ commender?
>>
>>904273
Definitely the latter, not that much difference in kms + extras.
>>
>>904305
>Pluralising SI unit symbols
You. The SI Brochure. Re-read it.
>>
>>904317
You. Here's your (you). Faggot.
>>
>>904356
I don't do this for the (you)'s my friend - knowing that I have served to help increase the knowledge of the correct use of SI units, prefixes and unit symbols as prescribed by the SI Brochure is enough - but here is a (you) for your trouble.
>>
>>904317
>not knowing what kilometers per second is
Brochure motherfucker, do you read it?
>>
>>904384
>not knowing that km·s (or km s, or kms) would be read as "kilometer seconds," because "kilometers per second" can only be km/s
I'm not even SI Brochure guy, but I also ask that you please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
File: 00O0O_2f6zOiQ06Zg_600x450.jpg (41 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00O0O_2f6zOiQ06Zg_600x450.jpg
41 KB, 600x450
Should I drop $150 on this bike? It's a Takara make, if that might help.
>>
>>904834
It's not anything special, but would make a fine commuting bike if you're around 5'6"
>>
>>900691
>low on cash
>two sports cars

I think I can solve your families financial problems anon
>>
>>904834
Essa bike... tá cara
EUhEUhuEHuHEUHEuHEUEHuEHUEHEUHE
>>
>>904834
unless your market is inflated (NY, SF, etc) you should pay less.

there's nothing wrong with it, but the age and quality of the components would also indicate it's probably a non-alloy i.e. "gaspipe" steel frame--comparatively heavy even in it's day. anyhow, it's heavyish and the mech bits on it are stodgy, low performing stuff; upgrades with new standards may not always be compatible or require weird adapters. then again, none of those issues may be important.

on the plus side, she looks sturdy, reliable, not a theft magnet, classic look, and there will always be consumables (tires, brake pads etc) readily available. the simpleness of the parts will make understanding repair-work more straightforward to a noob.

if she fits >>904836 and is ready to ride, go for it. my feeling is she's worth more like $100 but if the tires aren't about to go and the brake and shift cables aren't frozen up, maybe $150 might be OK.
>>
anyone know of a bike builder in the north carolina/ south carolina area?
>>
What do you guys think of Norco Fluid 7.2
>>
>>904994
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-norco-fluid-7-2-14-48270/

Only 3/5, so probably shit
>>
>>904994
>>905008
Looks like the main thing holding it back is the fork. That's not so big a deal if you don't ride hard, and it will be pretty easy to swap out for a more suitable model when that presents itself as an issue, provided that the front wheel is adaptable to through axle. If the front hub is not adaptable, I would drop the bike from consideration.
>>
Are 27" wheel bikes fine for casual rides/grocery getters? I see some low priced 10/5 speeds on CL that catch my eye but I don't know anything about that wheel size. Is it expensive to maintain one of those or hard to find tires/tubes?
>>
>>905294
Yeah just get a decent bag to carry groceries nd maybe a rack if that might suit your taste. Less strain on your back. My gf rides 27 and sje just orders tubes and tires off amazon the price range isnt different by much. But if you're worried look into how to convert to 700c
>>
>>905504
Okie dokie, I have a spare rack I will be putting on it and I'll eventually get panniers. I think I'll keep it simple and just order some stuff on amazon, thank you.
>>
>>898227
The dolan preface and dribble might as well be the same frame. Both have aggressive early 00's geometry and are fantastic training bikes that handle really well. However they don't like racks so much. A Planet X London Road or Kaffenback would be a wiser choice for commuting and longer trips.
>>
File: Mr clean abducted loli.jpg (42 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Mr clean abducted loli.jpg
42 KB, 640x640
I found three specialized's on craigslist, they're all pretty similar. Which one is best deal?

>1
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/5354837218.html
>2
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/5338298154.html
>3
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/5356164705.html
>>
Any thoughts on Miyata one-ten

Found a fresh one (for bargain price) with indexed shimano gears and in white livery, has anyone got any experience with older miyata steels?
>>
File: IMG_4178.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4178.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Bought this for $450 AUS, 2013 GT Ruckus dx. It cost $2000 brand new here so I'm pretty happy with my purchase
>>
File: dahondovebling.jpg (2 MB, 730x7940) Image search: [Google]
dahondovebling.jpg
2 MB, 730x7940
>>905673
So why not go ride it through the cane toad infested outback instead of coming online to brag about your purchase on a cambodian under water basket weaving image hosting service board website???
>>
>>905653
Should be a perfectly cromulent bike.
>>
>>905686
Edna... pls
>>
>>905673
pybt would have been more appropriate, but enjoy it.

Just level out that fuckin' saddle before you do.
>>
>>905653
if it's under $200 in good shape then it's a score
>>
Anybody ridden the gt grade? The alloy 105 version of it is looking pretty attractive to me.
>>
>>905653
i ride an '87 Miyata 312 e'reday. paid US $185 a few years back. money well spent, IMO
>>
>>905695
Ms Krabappel had never even heard that word before she came to Springfield.
>>
>>905653
Good frame, but one thing to watch out for is that low-end Miyatas tended to have 27x1.25" wheels instead of 700c, which severely limits your tire selection. Components are going to be pretty unspectacular. Early Shimano indexed shifters are best used in friction mode. What's the price they're asking?
>>
File: 1996843951.jpg (190 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1996843951.jpg
190 KB, 1280x720
>>905795
Picture related
He's asking 2200 SEK which is about 260 usd (which is pretty cheap when it comes to used bikes here in Sweden)
>>
>>905782

Seems like living in Springfield embiggens your vocabulary
>>
>>905795
700C wheel conversions aren't too awful hard, though; a pair of longer-reach calipers, and good to go. In the meantime, Conti & Panaracer & Schwalbe still make 27"/630bsd tires
>>
>>905801
I'd buy it. Make sure brakes and gears work properly, nothing wobbles/rattles/creaks, and that you're tall as fuck
>>
>>905801
That is real purdy.
>>
>>904376
holy shit I bet your autism isn't even in the normal spectrum you're so nitpicky
>>
Are there any standard recommendations for a starter bike? I don't know what a majority of the words in this thread mean, but I want to get into cycling. I'm 6' and live in the San Francisco bay area, any help appreciated.
>>
>>906108
What kinds of roads will you ride on? How steep will any hills you climb be? How much stuff will you need to carry? What's your budget?
>>
Hey /n/ I'm looking to buy or build the fastest road bike for my money - budget is a firm $850-$900. I'm a size 61-62 and I live in the Boston area but am open to eBay / other online suggestions. What would you recommend?
>>
>>906128
No reason to spend a grand. Start with a lightweight road frame from the 80s-90s. Preferably reynold's tubing. cromo - tru temp is also excellent. You can find those all day long on chi-town c-list (pic related).

Here's the trick, though: custom built wheels. You want Velocity double wall rims laced to a Shimano Capreo hub. This hub is for dudes with legs of steel, anon. You feel me? The hub's smallest cog is a fucking 9 tooth. That's right. 9 goddamn teeth.
Next up is the crankset. you are going to want a single speed crankset like a sugino zen track set. You are going to want a 52 tooth chainring for that bitch, not some wimpy-ass 44t pussy ring. Save it for the bedroom.
This setup is more manly than you can currently handle. But, that's ok. You can grow into it.
You will have plenty of money left over to splurge on an adamo or brooks team pro saddle, some sweet Nitto olympiad bars and sexy fuckin cork bar tape. whatever. maybe even get the bike pro painted.
>>
File: 00H0H_29EUxg7BPrU_600x450.jpg (31 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00H0H_29EUxg7BPrU_600x450.jpg
31 KB, 600x337
>>906157
i forgot the pic.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bid/5361908134.html
>>
>>906117
I think I'm just going to be riding around my neighborhood for now, maybe to the supermarket or to work in the future. At most I'd be carrying a bag or two. We've got some hills in the area, but nothing crazy.

As far as budget goes, could you explain what differentiates bikes in the $250, $500, and $1000 price ranges? Just a disclaimer, I don't know what anything in >>906157 means. Thanks for helping, and for your patience!
>>
I'm pretty new to bikes, and was looking at some cheap bikes for city riding. Pic related, the bike is an old Olmo, which according to what I researched is a pretty good brand. The seller, however, did not provide much details besides it working correctly and being in good shape. Can anyone confirm this? I can also post some more pictures if necessary. The price is pretty good, the same as the cheap Walmart ones. I'm from Argentina, and the brands usually mentioned here are either expensive or unavailable, and the used market is iffy at best.
>>
>>906219
Forgot the pic

Also, how would I change gears in this?
>>
>>906219
>>906220
Sorry I can't comment anything specific about the market for bikes in Argentine, but looking at at that bike it's a middling-quality bike from the mid 1970's. Better than what you'll get new at Walmart, but nothing special. Would be a fine bike for riding around the city, just needs a front brake and handlebar wrap, hopefully there's a bike co-op or a shop that deals in used bikes nearby where you can address those deficiencies cheaply. Should also note that if the rear derail on that bike is one made by Simplex (hard to say for sure with the lack of detail in this picture), the plastic parts that company made back then is known to be fragile, so don't be surprised if that component needs replacing as well.
>>
>>906220
Take into account that you'll have to buy a front brake, cable and housing. If the bike has been sitting for a long time you'll probably have to replace the tires and tubes too. Also the bar tape.
Add that to the price he's asking for the bike, that's the real price.
>>
>>906157
Are you paid to give shitty advice?
>>
>>906222
>>906224
Thank you for the advice. I was just reading about installing a front brake. It seems a relatively easy job, and I know some people who should be able to help. Another posible choice would be buying a fixie and adding a front brake, as I'm not too bothered by the lack of a freewheel and don't live in a particulary hilly area.
>>
>>906220
Olmos can fetch a pretty penny
>>
File: bart smithson.gif (21 KB, 451x533) Image search: [Google]
bart smithson.gif
21 KB, 451x533
>>906157
>don't buy the bike you want, buy the one i'm selling on craigslist
>>
>>906128

New bikes:
http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/Masi-Premiare-PC1-Carbon-Road-Bike/PR3C14124/Product
http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/BH/BH-Zaphire-Tiagra-Bike.axd

Used bikes on your local rape list:
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5359856766.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5355764380.html

Both are a bit too small for you though. Do you seriously ride a 61-62cm frame??? Freakin' massive.
>>
File: 1450246873069.png (2 MB, 1200x673) Image search: [Google]
1450246873069.png
2 MB, 1200x673
>>906220
>how would I change gears in this?

circled is the shift lever. known as a "down tube shifter" or often DTs on the internet.

seems like an OK bike for Walmart prices, it will definitely outlast a Walmart bike. you'll want some bar tape right away and a front brake and cable and housing as soon as you can afford it, but should be rideable in the meantime. not a lot of range on the gears, but won't matter to a noob too much unless your area is mountainous.

make sure it's not too big: stand over the top tube. if the bike is taller than your crotch, do not buy. right at crotch is not ideal but safe enough. a few inch gap is ideal. more space means the bike is too small but given your market and the price you can make it work by raising the seat post and stem, just don't go past the lines etched on them, and loosen the seat at the rails to push it back. by my eye, it looks to fit an average-to-below-av-height male rider by North American height standards.

it's a cool looking bike.
>>
>>906234
>Do you seriously ride a 61-62cm frame??? Freakin' massive.

that puts him around 6'1" tall. hardly NBA range.
>>
Anybody familiar with the giant range who can explain the difference between the anyroad and the revolt?
>>
>>906234
Yes haha, I'm 6'5 (1.96m) so finding used bikes that fit can be a chore. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>906347
The revolt is much better looking than the anyroad!

That aside giant categorises the revolt as "performance - endurance" and the anyroad as "sport - adventure". Neither are pure racing 'cross bikes.

It also looks like the revolt may have rack mounts, while the anyroad doesn't. You'd be able to tell that much more easily looking at them in person.
>>
>>906379
thanks, I'm looking at the manufacturer page now, and it seems like the stock anyroad has 32mm tires vs 35mm and a 34/50 vs 34/48 crankset, but that looks like about it.
>>
>>906303

I'm 6'2 and I feel most comfortable on a 56cm road frame, even though my LBS said I would fit best on a 58cm. 61-62cm frames are for people 6'5 and over.
>>
>>906375
at your height, you'll want a bigger frame than a 61-62. unfortunately a lot of manufacturers stop at 63 whereas ideally you'd want a bit larger than that. good luck. 6'3" reporting, 63 is my size and i've also got a 61 that's OK.
>>
>>906397
saw a post a few days ago about a custom bike somebody made for Shaq. 36" wheels or somesuch. It can be done.
>>
File: bike size chart road.png (40 KB, 627x266) Image search: [Google]
bike size chart road.png
40 KB, 627x266
>>906396
whaaaaaaat?

i'm >>906397, maybe i'm a bit leggy but the guides back me up. pic related

>>906399
when Shaq first hit the NBA i remember seeing pics of him next to a purple custom Cannondale MTB that they presented him for the publicity. i think it just had normal 26s on it, so it looked really weird, almost like a "tall bike" but one frame instead of two stacked and welded together. i've looked for it online but never found it; this happened pre or very early web. i'd love to see a bike with 36s, though. crazy.
>>
>>906405
http://www.bicycling.com/culture/people/shaqs-new-custom-bike-is-huge-and-totally-awesome
>>
File: shaq2.jpg (465 KB, 910x723) Image search: [Google]
shaq2.jpg
465 KB, 910x723
>>906405
oh, it actually came up this time. i remember it was purple, anyway.
>>
File: shaq.jpg (328 KB, 996x644) Image search: [Google]
shaq.jpg
328 KB, 996x644
>>906407
hah! sweet!
>>
File: 1347646846115.gif (1023 KB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
1347646846115.gif
1023 KB, 300x264
>>906410
>shaw on a biek
he's the best
>>
>>906410
Always nice to see somebody looking happy about bikes.
>>
File: 31-3524-BLK-ANGLE.jpg (195 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
31-3524-BLK-ANGLE.jpg
195 KB, 1500x1500
Hello /n/, this is my first time visiting and posting on this board.

I came seeking your opinion on a decision I'm about to make.

I'm interested in this Bicycle and I was wondering if it would do me fine for casual riding and the occasional dirt trail.

I don't have money to spend on a $600 bike, I only have like $250 dollars to spend.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1173890_-1_catNav
>>
>>906635
It's mostly going to be for road riding and maybe a ride through a dirt trail. Nothing big, it's not really for commuting, mostly for recreational weekend riding.
>>
File: 31-3054-YEL-ANGLE.jpg (232 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
31-3054-YEL-ANGLE.jpg
232 KB, 1500x1500
>>906641
Ok then I'll take your advice.

But one last question, what are your thoughts on this? It's not a mountain bike.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1164699_-1_catNav
>>
>>906649
Ignore this guy, he's autistic
>>
>>906627
Absolute shit. Buy something used instead.
>>
>>906665
Happy now?
>>
File: fantom-cross-pro-ti-xv-21.jpg (868 KB, 2100x1246) Image search: [Google]
fantom-cross-pro-ti-xv-21.jpg
868 KB, 2100x1246
Someone talk me out of this. I've been looking at it for over a month now but the price is holding me back at CAD$2300. Ti frame, Rival 22. I would buy it in a heartbeat if the Canadian dollar isn't utter shit at 0.72 USD right now. So really this is more of an economics question than a bike question. Will the CAD drop further in 2016?
>>
>>907153
It's going to be out of stock in your size, don't worry.
>>
>>907153
shit, bro. why pay that much for a factory made bike when you could have a custom bike made to order from a local frame builder. holy shit, i wish people could get their heads out of the corporate asshole long enough to be aware of what's around them. the world would be a better place for sure.
>>
>>907163
Idiot
>>
>>907164
Moron.
>>
>>907163
>custom complete bike
>$1700
wat
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.