[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BBG/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: bike+.jpg (124 KB, 1151x816) Image search: [Google]
bike+.jpg
124 KB, 1151x816
Is Specialized Allez E5 a good choice for commute and training?
>>
>Want to get a new bike
So I'm currently riding a Bianchi Via Nirone 7. It's heavy as fuck and I want out. I'm looking at a few different options right now, lads
>Giant TCR Advanced 2
>Giant Propel Advanced 2
>Giant Defy Advanced 2
>Specialized Diverge Comp
>Cervelo R3 Disc
>Trek Madone 5.9
I'm leaning toward the Giant bikes or the Diverge mainly. Only because I live in England and the Defy and Diverge would be excellent in the rain. However, I'm not sure if the discs outweigh the pure performance of the TCR or Propel. Also, the Diverge looks great as it's got discs as well but can fit xbox sized tyres.
wat do?
>can't test ride at the Giant shop because it's 50 quid per bike as they have to order them in for testing
stupid as fugg
>>
Please remember to put the info we need to help others buy their bikes in the OP next time (CL, height, inseam, budget, planned use...)
>>
Does anyone know of a site I can buy bike kits from?
I've been wrenching at the local co-op the past year , need a challenge and assemble a bike that I can call my own. None of that pre-assembled stuff or shitty BSO tier kits.
>>
>>897837
>cycling kit
Aero Tech Designs
>bicycle framesets and parts
Through an LBS. They can order framesets from vendors such as QBP and directly from manufacturers such as Trek, Giant, etc. If you want to build a bike, get a frameset and all the parts to build it
>>
>>897837
http://www.cycle-frames.com
>>
>>897837
Do some research, choose a frame you want to build up, and purchase all the components you want on it. There are tons of frame manufacturers that have some great frames like Soma, Salsa, Surly, Velo Orange, etc.

There aren't actual kit bikes that you can buy and assemble from scratch; to start from square one you need to buy everything yourself and piece it together.
>>
>>897852
Yeah I meant frameset. I was thinking to not order through the LBS since they would try to profit from it.

>>897857
Wasn't clear enough I guess, I can't weld just yet.

>>897858
I did see framesets and parts that I'm interested in, but they aren't all from the same site. Seems like a hassle to order from multiple sites but I guess I'll look around more. I was wondering if the LBS receives their bikes in loose parts and the mechanics put them together. If they do, I thought I could get something like that.
>>
>>897861
yeah shame on a business for trying to profit off of sales man
>>
>>897861
>I was wondering if the LBS receives their bikes in loose parts and the mechanics put them together.
Nah, that isn't very often to my knowlege.

If you wanted a one stop shop, you could go to your LBS and ask them to order everything for you. Might end up costing as much or even more than if you did it yourself, but at least all the parts would come from one source.

Do keep in mind that you'll need a couple specialized tools to build your bike. Shouldn't be a problem if you build it at a co-op, mind you.
>>
>>897861

An LBS has bikes shipped partially assembled, and their mechanics complete the assembly with the included parts. For quality control/liability reasons, manufacturers include strict terms in their contracts with retailers that require this assembly to be done by shop personnel.

You're not going to buy a stock bike and just do the assembly yourself.
>>
>>897872
Well if you buy from Bikes Direct, or other mail order, you can basically get a bike in the state an LBS gets them in.
>>
>>897870
>>897872
>>897880
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to buy them separately.
>>
File: XXMjq.jpg (77 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
XXMjq.jpg
77 KB, 500x352
All this lurking on /n/ really made me consider getting a 90's rigid mtb never really bothered looking for one and u stumbled on this.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/5315005894.html

I'd add better components where I see fit but the bike as is looks solid.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>897951
That's a sweet frame. I agree you need to upgrade a lot of the components but for $200 if you have the space for an extra bike it's a no-brainer.
>>
http://denver.craigslist.org/search/bik

I'm looking mostly for a bike to commute and get around town. Maybe do some biking outside of the city but mostly just commuting etc. I do want a bike with different speeds because there are some hills around me. Also I'm poor, so, trying to find something relatively cheap but still good enough that it won't fall apart. Ideally not much more than $100. Any of those look particularly good?

oh and I'm a dude so... no ladies bikes.
>>
https://collegestation.craigslist.org/bik/5288436078.html

This might be a better thread to ask, does this bike look in good shape, is it a good model? I'd want to retrofit the brakes with V-brakes.
>>
File: 1445748974912.jpg (106 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1445748974912.jpg
106 KB, 1000x667
>>897951
>>897982

/o/ confirming, miyata is always the answer
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.