[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to bike to work without looking like a complete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 20
Is it possible to bike to work without looking like a complete faggot?
Post your commuting outfit pls.
>>
bump cuz I'm interested
>skinny jeans and windbreakers
>looks like a fag
>
>>
Padded shorts with jogging shorts over them and whatever t-shirt
>>
File: 1442095091767.jpg (247 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
1442095091767.jpg
247 KB, 1224x1445
>>895676
>jeans
>hoodie

I guess the only thing that makes me look like a faggot is having one pant leg rolled up but that's because I don't want chain marks all over the side of my pant leg. Are you doing just general shitting on people in kit or did you blow in from /fa/ looking to match your bike with your outfit?
>>
File: GOODS-00046544.jpg (30 KB, 410x500) Image search: [Google]
GOODS-00046544.jpg
30 KB, 410x500
i just wear normal t-shirt and running shorts. why do you imply cyclists have to wear lycra or other gay cycling clothes.

and if you didnt imply that, then nothing is wrong with t-shirt and shorts you self conscious faggot.
>>
Don't really want to take pics, but I commute in ordinary street clothes - shorts, t-shirt or polo shirt, jacket and other gear depending on weather conditions. The only bike-specific things I wear everyday are a cycling cap and touring/casual bike shoes that take cleats but look like ordinary sneakers.

As >>895683
says, bike shorts or unpadded lycra (best option if it's cold enough to require pants) can be worn underneath ordinary shorts if necessary.
>>
>Ping pong shoes / worn out runners
>Cycling shorts (as in lycra and chamois)
>Moisture wicking t-shirt from a past sporting event

If I need something that passes for street clothes, I wear a non-sporty t-shirt and layer baggy trousers or shorts on top of the cycling shorts.
>>
>>895687
What shoes?
>>
File: 1442400882914.jpg (10 KB, 221x225) Image search: [Google]
1442400882914.jpg
10 KB, 221x225
>>895676
Normal everyday clothes.

ITT: OP doesn't understand what commuting mean.
>>
File: 240258893_09ce5dd2b7_b.jpg (269 KB, 678x1024) Image search: [Google]
240258893_09ce5dd2b7_b.jpg
269 KB, 678x1024
>>895676
>>
>>895685
>pants so loose they get caught in the chain
>>
>>895690
le ebin dgoz maymays
>>
>>895687
>polo shirt
if you work @ walmart it's fine, otherwise you look like an idiot or pedophile or both
>>
windbreaker jacket + jeans (right leg rolled up) + backpack + helmet + casual/running shoes
>>
Just ordinary jeans/hoody or even a sweater, baseball cap, shimano mt 33 shoes.

Would never, ever, ever wear lycra when commuting. Going out of town in lycra is hard enough.
>>
File: do_what_you_must.png (78 KB, 288x185) Image search: [Google]
do_what_you_must.png
78 KB, 288x185
>>895698
Have fun with your skinny jeans man I just like to have pants that don't constrict my everything from the waist down
>>
File: commuting.jpg (166 KB, 900x1216) Image search: [Google]
commuting.jpg
166 KB, 900x1216
I wear leather soled dress shoes, trousers, and decent enough shirts at work that I don't want to risk getting chain grease on a pant leg or having nasty pit stains on my shirt. So changing is a given. I take a shower at the gym on the same block as work. I have a membership already since I like to lift as well as bike, might as well take advantage.

Chamois bib tights are the best thing ever, I used to think I'd never be one of "those people" but they are so much more comfortable to ride in, it's ridiculous.

Tights and a jersey and clipless could be considered overkill for only 30 miles a day, but the kind of clothes I used to wear while riding (athletic shorts and t-shirts and a ratty pair of nikes) aren't useful to me in any other context. So I figure I might as well be comfortable and efficient if I'm buying stuff that I'm only ever going to wear while riding a bike.

My outfit wouldn't be accepted by gearfag brand whore roadies, it's a hodgepodge of random cheap shit. Factory second tights from nashbar, random sale priced jerseys from wherever, a scratched up MTB helmet that looks like something a homeless bike messenger would use. My shoes are brown leather MTB shoes (giro republic LX) and I often wear my regular prescription glasses when I'm not wearing my cheap clear lens safety goggles.

I was this guy for years >>895716
>>895686

then I got over myself
>>
Here in the Netherlands everyone wears their normal everyday clothing.

Why would you wear anything different?
>>
>>895736

Because in other countries you don't get to ride at a leisure pace, since there's no dedicated paths and the slower you're on the road, the more dangerous it is. Which leads to sweating.
>>
>>895736
By your logic, we should never lube our chains, never keep our tires properly inflated, and only use flat bars with brakes that sort of work but you can just drag your feet because you weren't going faster than a walking pace anyway on that 15kg flatbar monstrosity made of gaspipe steel.

I think I'll do things my way, but your glorious dutch advice is noted, Mynheer Peeperkorn.
>>
>>895730
>I wear leather...trousers, and...shirts at work
>tights are the best thing ever

no-homo
>>
>>895738
>What you wear defines how competent you are as a cyclist

True Fred tier
>>
>>895742
>keeping your tires filled with air is fred tier
this is what dutch people actually believe
>>
File: true-cyclist.jpg (2 MB, 1878x2816) Image search: [Google]
true-cyclist.jpg
2 MB, 1878x2816
>>895743
>Only True Cyclists such as myself wears proper Cyclist Attire made from DuPont™ LYCRA®
>Have a nice day, ma'am
>>
>>895750
>rim brakes
lol
>>
File: 0067 (2).png (343 KB, 1219x771) Image search: [Google]
0067 (2).png
343 KB, 1219x771
Holy shit how do you fucks wear Jeans on a bike? Just walking down the street in your shitty Chinese pants is uncomfortable.

Do you guys commute to literally down the street or something? Have you never tried on some actual cycling specific clothing? PROTIP: It feels fucking amazing. Better than sex with ur ugly mum 2 m8.
>>
>>895757
>Do you guys commute to literally down the street or something?
A lot of us, yes. You can instantly tell who is lying about how much they ride and how often when they say cycling clothing is placebo
>>
File: kimo.png (47 KB, 250x353) Image search: [Google]
kimo.png
47 KB, 250x353
>>895716
>jeans

How the fuck can you move your legs enough to cycle in that shit?
>>
File: dumbhipstercunt.jpg (40 KB, 400x259) Image search: [Google]
dumbhipstercunt.jpg
40 KB, 400x259
>>895750
>putting a bottle in your jersey when you have an empty bottle cage
>>
>>895760
jeans with 1% or 2% elastine are wonderful. rapha jeans are really good if you also want the premium denim look, although annoyingly they don't seem to be restocking the sprinter jeans with the larger thigh and calf

levi's commuter jeans are ok

idk about osloh

there are a lot of non-cycling-specific jeans with elastine, mostly women's jeans, but they often wear incredibly quickly
>>
When I was commuting 5 miles to work, I wore jeans.

Any longer ride then that? Fuck it, full spandex.
>>
>>895768

>Riding in jeans, no matter what kind
>Riding in pants period

Nope.jpg
>>
>>895785
To clarify, these jeans were what I wore for work, loose carpenter-type jeans. If it was wet or snowy, break out the spandex.
>>
>>895757
I tried commuting in khakis and a white t shirt after reading on this board that I don't need cycling clothes to commute. Never again.
>>
>>895743

Needs some WD-40.
>>
>>895676
>>895683
>>895686
>>895687
>>895688
dont listen to these idiots. they dont ride.

the trick to not looking like a flaming homo on a bike is to go all in or not at all. either kit up and be proud of it, or just wear civies. cycling shorts without a bib and brace alone should be a fineable offence, but wearing them with shorts over the top, or cycling shorts and a t-shirt, or some other half-arsed combo of casual and cycling clothing just points you out as someone who has no clue about what they are doing, even to non cyclists. also if you are that insecure about wearing cycling clothing WHILST CYCLING, maybe rethink being on a bike in the first place.

>>895685
>>895690
>>895715
>>895716
>>895730
these guys have the right idea. the ideal casual commuter outfit it
>t-shirt or loose fitting linen shirt
>denim shorts
>clipless shoes
>appropriate length cycling socks (>4")
dont be a hubbard, dress right
>>
File: _20151107_030147.jpg (95 KB, 720x717) Image search: [Google]
_20151107_030147.jpg
95 KB, 720x717
Levis commuters and a windbreaker. First ride in the rain today. My shoes and pants were both quite wet the pants dried in an hour or two.
>>
File: 5584875949_0985e676a7_b.jpg (249 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
5584875949_0985e676a7_b.jpg
249 KB, 1024x685
>>895738
>>895737
We don't exactly ride at leisure pace. The roads allow us to go fast without constantly looking around and be careful. They are building bike roads between cities now that e-bikes are becoming popular among people who go to work so they can travel a greater distance easily.
And everyone who doesn't live in a big city takes care of their bike, using it with deflated tires is shit. Only in Amsterdam and whatever they don't because it will get stolen if it looks to good.
Look at people biking outside the big cities, they go fast, travel big distances, don't look like faggots and take care of their bike.
>>
>>895824
>e-bikes
Those don't belong on a bike path
If you're not a skilled enough cyclist to go fast on your own power you're a danger to yourself and others on an ebike
Those things should be banned
>>
Since I'm like 5km from my uni I don't bother using bib shorts, I would understand starting from like 20km but under seems like a waste of time
>>
>>895833
Fuck off communist statist kike
>BAN BAN BAN BAN EVERYTHING I DON'T LIKE WEHHHH
>>
>>895842
The weak should perish.
Now, GET OFF MY BIKE LANE YOU DAMN GRANMAS!
>>
File: sanic.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sanic.jpg
219 KB, 1920x1080
>>895844
>GET OFF MY BIKE LANE YOU DAMN GRANMAS!
>>
>>895842
It's more humane than the alternative, which is summary execution of e-bike users and invoicing their families for the waste of bullets.

Why are weak, soft, anemic, asthmatic anarchist types so inhumane?
>>
File: damn-son.jpg (12 KB, 250x219) Image search: [Google]
damn-son.jpg
12 KB, 250x219
>>895847
I'm bleeding all over the place here.
>>
>>895856
Well it's interesting to hear that heartless reptiles like you actually have blood. Is it red like ours?

I for one support equal rights for reformed counterrevolutionaries. After the 30 years of corrective labor, of course.
>>
File: so-painfully-edgy.jpg (163 KB, 626x470) Image search: [Google]
so-painfully-edgy.jpg
163 KB, 626x470
>>895858
No, please, stop. You're just too edgy for this world anon. You'll destroy everyone with your sharp insight and blazing sense of righteousness.
>>
>>895864
I'm sorry you can't handle the truth, anon.

Glorious Comrade Sanders will reform the education system so that mistakes like you don't happen again.
>>
>>895676
>Is it possible to bike to work without looking like a complete faggot?
Sure. As long as you avoid the two things that look faggy:
>Wearing suit and tie on a bike
>Wearing full "biking clothing" while going to work

>Post your commuting outfit pls.
whatever I will wear that day in the office.
Jeans or slack + dress shirt or woolen sweater + rain sheel or softshell, depending on weather.
>>
>>895676
>in summer
Cargo shorts and a T-shirt or something.
>in early spring/late autumn
Cargo shorts over long "warm" bibs and a T-shirt under a "for biking" jacket.

I change at work because sitting all day in sweaty pants ain't my thing.
>>
For 15k ride each way to work I'd be wearing my running tights with light shorts over the top or my shy-shorts (depending on temperature) and a hoody with a singlet underneath (but now have a more suited cycling jacket), perhaps with merino beanie under helmet, glove and road cleats - during winter. In summer just running shorts and light t-shirt/singlet, the key is to have a good backpack with a spacer to avoid sweaty back.
>>
File: FTW_infographic_v03-940x490.png (666 KB, 940x490) Image search: [Google]
FTW_infographic_v03-940x490.png
666 KB, 940x490
>>895824
>We don't exactly ride at leisure pace
The average speed of dutch cyclist lies around 17 km/h.
>>
I just wear normal clothes cause my commute isn't enough to leave me sweating or anything.

In summer that'd be chino shorts, a button down shirt (sleeves rolled up while riding) and regular shoes.
>>
>>895750
too fat or not enough psi in teh rear
>>
>>896054
WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WEAR RUNNING TIGHTS ON A BIKE YOU STUPID FAGGOT YOU ARE PROVIDING LITERALLY ZERO BENEFIT TO YOURSELF AND POINTING YOURSELF OUT TO OTHERS AS A FUCKING IDIOT. WHY DO YOU THINK REAL CYCLISTS WEAR BIBS? PRO-TIP, ITS NOT FOR MAKING YOUR BALLS LOOK GOOD, ITS BECAUSE THE PADDING IS GODDAMN COMFY. LYCRA SHORTS WITHOUT PADDING IS LIKE ICECREAM WITHOUT THE FUCKING CONE, YOU STUPID CUNT
>>
File: north faceAMVY65J_1.jpg (172 KB, 750x1129) Image search: [Google]
north faceAMVY65J_1.jpg
172 KB, 750x1129
>>895676
>dat assos

kek

-jeans with elastane like Wrangler Texas stretch or any other with 1 or 2% elastine, even a relaxed fit 1000%cotton jean can pass (t. strong leg person)
-full zipp softshell with FRONT pockets
-shirt or t shirt under
-boots (avoid any spd combo)
-cap
-leather gloves

its really that simple, stretchy jeans and windproof jacket with higher collar are the most important
>>
>>898124
I don't get a sore arse on 30k's of commute a day?, it's more so for the elements because I'm often riding at night. Shit yeah I obviously know the benefits of bibs (more so for wicking sweat from the crotch) when i go on longer rides but dude i'm going to work i don't seriously kit up for that. Also relax guy.
>>
>>895738
Thank you!
You speak for us all, I hate those fucking Dutch Casuals!
>>
>>896157
Just thinking about my bike path being crowded with slowpokes on dutch bikes rattling along at 17kph (which apparently is even less than 12mph) is making my left eyelid twitch with rage.
>>
>>898170
Yeah, the only country with top infra budget priorities. .. and they are all filthy fucking casuals!
>>
>>898327
>hfw he realizes casuals make up 99% of humanity
>>
File: fietsen-gracht.jpg (219 KB, 1467x1100) Image search: [Google]
fietsen-gracht.jpg
219 KB, 1467x1100
>>898349
In places where biking isn't easymode, casuals just stay in their cages. I guess when it is easymode, casuals are just as hostile to real cyclists, just in a different way.

There was a time in my life when I thought it would be nice if there was more cycling infrastructure, but from listening to these annoying dutch speak of their ideal rattling squealing garbage bike and anything in proper working order is unacceptable, I think I'll take things the way they are.
>>
>>898162
>1000% cotton jeans
W2c, where can I buy these?
>>
If you don't look like a faggot every time you go for a ride, you're doing it wrong.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.