[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are all highway engineers autistic? Whenever I talk to them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Why are all highway engineers autistic? Whenever I talk to them, they refuse to budge from their support of the Interstate Highway Act and their "code of ethics".

They will do anything to build their highways, since destroying cities to build more highways is apparently a good idea in their vision as long as the traffic flows.
>>
>>894606
there's an urban planner that lives on the next block from me and every time I talk to her (which I avoid at this point) it's like I'm talking to Temple Grandin

https://youtu.be/46ycu3JFRrA?t=124
>>
>>894612
its like all of them are autistic, urban planners, engineers, every transit degree
>>
>>894613
ya, well, that seems to be their niche in society. that and computers. but it makes sense. they aren't going to have any interest in, say, public relations or retail etc. they want rules and order. IRL trainsets.
>>
>>894606

>they refuse to budge from their support of the Interstate Highway Act and their "code of ethics".

because the IHA is the only reason they're employed. Cities would not have built freeways left and right if DC wasn't paying 80% of the cost
>>
>>894613
I'm studying urban planning :(
Considering doing civil engineering because I'm worried about my job prospects with just planning.
>>
>>894687
Go for engineering (or transit planning if you want to stay in planning). Urban planning is a crowded field.
>>
Dunno about the rest of your experiences, but I've spoken with my city's senior traffic engineer (Kathleen Krager) more than a few times and she's definitely a sane, personable, flexible (read: not autistic) person and doesn't have a singular appreciation for cars.

This >>894648
is right. If planners are most familiar with roads and highways, that's to be expected when public policy has focused almost exclusively on building infra. for cars for so many decades.
>>
>>894687
OP here, I am also studying urban planning. There are many parts of urban planning though, transit is just one part of it.

There isn't many jobs currently but it is increasing. Take more leadership positions to help get a job. If you don't like math/physics you will hate civil engineering.

Civil Engineers = extremely autistic
Urban Plannings = slightly autistic
>>
Urban planners are quite often egotistic knobs who think they know better than those in the specific industries themselves, especially railway though.
>>
>>894687
Go the engineering route definitely, I made the mistake of getting a planning degree. There is no entrance exam to get into the field and the academic work is not challenging so it has been flooded. Municipalities have been downsizing since the recession. Private consultants only hire from top notch schools and want experienced people. Took me 3 years just to get an entry level job.
>>
>>894606
Do you know what the difference between an extroverted engineer and an introverted engineer is?

The extroverted engineer looks at YOUR shoes when he talks to you.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.