[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get a hitch mounted bike rack that can carry at least
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: fourtimer_3qtr_pdp.jpg (120 KB, 1372x1020) Image search: [Google]
fourtimer_3qtr_pdp.jpg
120 KB, 1372x1020
I want to get a hitch mounted bike rack that can carry at least 4 bikes and can accomodate full suspension bikes, bikes with very large top tubes, and a 5" fat bike. I was planning to get a Yakima Fourtimer, pic related. Which is compatible with all of my concerns except maybe not 5" fatty (they have "fat straps" that accomodate fat bikes but apparently not 5" fat bikes).

Then someone suggested I instead get a cargo tray and carry my bikes in that (I'll post a pic in a few seconds). What do you guys think? Get a Yakima or get something not designed for bikes? I don't know how I would get the bikes to securely sit in something like that but surely it would be possible.
>>
File: 11.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>
>>891491
That pic is only an example, I would try to find one with higher walls.
>>
>>891490
I bought a hitch mounted platform rack, like the one in your OP, and I like it. The downside of a cargo tray, is that you don't have the supports for the tires, which makes the bikes more likely to tip over, unless you're just laying them on top of one another.

I didn't go for a Yakima, or Thule, because they are honestly far too expensive. I did get a pretty good one off of Amazon, that had good reviews, and didn't cost an arm and a leg. It was only about $200.
>>
>>891511
Thanks for the input. I work at a LBS so I can get a heavily discounted rack, so while a Yakima would still be a few hundred dollars it wouldn't be so overpriced. I agree that the cargo basket would lack support but apparently people do it, I just don't know exactly how they secure the bikes.
>>
File: IMAG0540.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0540.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
If I was you I'd just get the discounted Yakima and make a custom strap for the fat bike using an old leather belt or something.

But if you're good with your hands and like making things then maybe consider making custom mounts for the cargo tray using old front axles and skewers which you should have access to from working at a LBS. Pic is an example that might inspire ideas.

Also, you can strap a bike to the bullbar on the front of the vehicle if you have one.
>>
>>891490
At this point I think you should just buy a pickup truck
>>
Thanks. I think I'll go with the Yakima but I'll keep checking back here to see if anyone else offers any other input.
>>
>>891554
When carrying that many bikes you don't want to cheap out on the rack. That Yakima looks fine and has a 180lb weight limit so you should be ok.

The two names that always pop up in "Best Rack" thread are Kuat and 1up usa but those would cost you even more. I have a 1up myself and love it but I only needed a single so the cost wasn't insane.
>>
>using your bikes as a bumper
Either a roof rack or inside the car. Never on the bumper.

The function of a bumper is to absorb small collisions and be easily replaceable. If you've got your bikes on a rear rack and someone hits you slightly it'll fuck up your bikes. And good luck getting an insurance company to pay the full price on those bikes. With a roof rack small fender benders don't fuck up your bikes instantly and it's much easier to get an insurance company to pay for a new bumper and a paint job than it's to get them pay for all the bikes.
>>
>>891636
There are plenty of problems with roof racks too.

Wind noise and gas mileage tanking being the big ones but plenty of people forget they are up there and drive into a car port, garage, drive thru, whatever. I caught a cable tv line that had partially fallen down with my roof mounted bike two separate times fuck you I'm not kidding fucking TWICE!!!!! and on the same damn street. Comcast's insurance had to pay up which was also a huge PITA to deal with.

I'm much happier with my hitch rack.
>>
North shore style rack might work well. A mate and I made one after work one day, it turned out really well I wish I had a picture of it
>>
File: 20150716_200823.jpg (767 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20150716_200823.jpg
767 KB, 2048x1152
>>891652
I found a pic of it during the build just to give an idea of how it came together. I got it powdercoated black so in the end it looked quite tidy
>>
>>891490
https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

their gallery shows a 4 bike setup
>>
Thanks everyone. After getting advice from someone I work with I think I'm going to go with the Saris Freedom Superclamp 4. Basically the same as the Fourtimer that I initially wanted, but it has trays (rather than just straps) for fat bikes sold separately and they accomodate 5". Looks perfect for me.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.