[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uh, /n//? How do I pump up a presta valve? I'm serious.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: presta-valve[1].jpg (67 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
presta-valve[1].jpg
67 KB, 500x275
Uh, /n//? How do I pump up a presta valve? I'm serious. I purchased a floor pump for my road bike and I am literally scared that I am going to bend/break the presta valve tip right off the first time I try to put the presta pump part on. It looks really, really delicate.

Am I supposed to unscrew it all the way to the top when pumping it? Just halfway?
>>
>>947741
You need to unscrew the thing at the tip. Just give it a few turns. And make sure your pump is presta-compatible. Some pumps have one side for presta and another for schrader. Others you have to screw off the cap of the pump head and flip around some pieces inside.
>>
>>947741

1st off, do you know for a fact that your floor pump can be used with presta valves?
>>
>>947741
>Am I supposed to unscrew it all the way to the top when pumping it? Just halfway?
If by "all the way" you mean screw it til it comes off, you shouldn't be able to do that. It only screws a few rotations at most then you won't be able to turn it anymore. So just loosen it all the way til you can't turn it any more. Also, after unscrewing it, before putting the pump head on it, it's a good idea to tap the head of the valve stem with your finger. Sometimes it'll be stiff and this can loosen it up.
>>
>>947744
>>947745
>>947746
Yes my pump is presta/schrader compatible. You just turn the dial to the valve side you want and it locks on

I know how a presta valve works. The thing I am worried about is that the little bit on the end that you press to let air out seems extremely delicate and looks like it can easily break off in the pump
>>
>>947799
yeah that's the kind that ive been using for years like an idiot. i broke off a presta with it too

its supposed to just be an emergency one. it doesnt even pump up the tires to the right psi

my new one has a hose
>>
File: 36.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
36.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
I know you have a floor pump, but if you ever get a portable one, get one with a hose, not a rigid one.

I snapped a presta with pic related once.
>>
>>947802

Sry, I autismed and deleted my post.

Good. You have to be so careful with the rigid ones that it starts to get tiring. I have a Blackburn pump with a hose, and it is great.
>>
>>947796
>seems extremely delicate and looks like it can easily break off in the pump
They can be bent if you use a lot of force, but if you put the pump on straight not at a weird angle and use it as intended there's not much risk
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.