[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where Do I Learn About Bikes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: 1442105086048-pol.gif (307 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1442105086048-pol.gif
307 KB, 500x275
>Inb4 lurk more/buy one it'll learn you

I need to know what I'm looking for before I can figure everything out for myself, and no QTDDTOT threads had these questions, and no threads had this question, so

Where can I learn the basics of what to look for in a new bike, where to draw the line on rebuilding a used bike(buy a 90's rigid frame MTB hurr), when to consider upgrading?

I lost my car due to an accident and am so poorfag that I am not getting any replacement for a good month and a half. Currently I walk 12 miles(in America) to and from work, an hour and a half commute, in a large town of over 50,000 and no public transit.

>largest hills are maybe 40ft in gradual grade slopes suited for vehicle travel

>quickest commute and probably only easy route involves shoulder travel where no sidewalk exists at points with gravel and knee high grass

>paved roads the entire way but unless it's not heavy traffic I stay on the side away from cars because I'm not suicidal

This could be considered a 'what bike style for me' and a 'how the fuck do I learn more' thread. I understand mountain bikes are not suited for roads, cyclocross bikes are suited for a little of both and road bikes are suited for.. roads.

I'm relatively fit, male, 5'11 and carry about 40lbs cargo to and from my work, including a uniform.

If this is not at all the place to ask, please direct me somewhere to get the fuck out instead of just telling me to get the fuck out.

Pic related is me on my average commute. Also I will be riding night rides regularly and my budget is around $200. Poorfag.
>>
You want a bike with a rear rack. The style of the bicycle doesn't really matter but you probably don't want razor thin tires. That's about it. You can learn everything on the Sheldon Brown website and YouTube.
There are bike buy generals. Post your local craigslist you won't want to go new with your budget
>>
>>885397
Understood, thanks.

Thread can be saged to hell
>>
>>885394
Generally seconding the other poster's recommendations.

How to learn more?
Read more. Work on stuff more. Talk with bike folks more.

When I was getting into bikes as an adult, Sheldon's website was definitely a useful resource for me. My bike was older, a 1986 10-speed, and that's sort of what his site is geared for.

Later, when I got a more modern bike, my Barnett's Manual was invaluable (download it first, then buy it later). There's a lot to be learned in there, even if it is really dry reading. It's a manual, after all.
>>
While its here, might as well turn this into a BQG.

I only have the most basic of basic understanding of bikes.

In Layton's terms, what is a compact crankset and what is it good for??

I've seen bikes with compact frames. The bike I own is a little ...long on me in terms of aesthetics. Does having a compact frame yield any benefits other than being more aesthetically pleasing to someone who is thin and short?

What is an ideal tire size for a speedy and somewhat comfortable ride on a roadbike? Standard 700x25 or..

Flat bars on a roadbike. What is your opinion? I think they look better and are also more comfortable since I don't get into any aggressive posture for aero and whatnot.

Is eventually upgrading to disk brakes worth it or should I just stick to my calipers/cantis?

Aluminum/Steel/Carbon. Benefits of each? Does having steel frame roadbike with really thin tires make the ride softer or am I stupid?

If I think of anything else I'll add it in later.
>>
>>887919
For my second bike, im looking for something lightweight, fast, and less energy/power output required to move more. What would that be?
>>
File: 7 11.jpg (216 KB, 995x861) Image search: [Google]
7 11.jpg
216 KB, 995x861
>>887919
>flat bars on a road bike

gay as fuck all round less functional, comfortable and generally stupid

>frame material

Not worth generalizing about.

>25c
Yes

>compact crank
yes

>compact frame

If you want. Avoiding them means avoiding modern road bikes which severely limits your options.

>steel and narrow tires

Yes, good

Buy a nice complete bike and ride the fuck out of it for years. It will teach you all you need to know. Don't try to 'modify' or 'personalise' it immediately.
>>
>>887919
As far as manufacturers/brand names go, what are some that I should try to steer clear from?
>>
>>887928
Any company big enough to make terrible bikes also makes great bikes. The only real reason to avoid manufacturers are ethical.

So read about the bullshit they put Volagi though and don't buy specialized.
>>
>>887928
avoid anything at walmart, you will want to buy from a real store.. or maybe to get the best bang for your buck craigslist... once again steer clear of anything that would be sold at a big box store.
>>
>>885394
Your post confuses me.
It seems like you know enough about /n/ to reference our usual responses. But you also don't know enough to use the bqg or bbg. You also seem to know enough about bikes at large to have a decent jumping off point, but didn't offer any plans you currently hold.

As OP, you can't inb4, but you did anyhow.

Honestly, you should fuck off and die.
>>
>>887919
Steel or carbon forks?
>>
>>885394
>>887923
Basically, seeing your situation just follow this but I'd recommend getting an old 12 speed seeing as you're low in cash. They still ride well and it's a hell of a lot better then walking. Walk it up hills if you don't have a good riding experience or if you aren't in shape.
>>
>>887958
On a steel bike: steel.
On an aluminum or carbon bike: carbon.
>>
Given that your budget is $200, you will want to buy a used bike from the 80s or 90s. Anything new and under $200 will be pure fucking shit. If the roads you ride on are all smooth, well-paved roads, then you could get an old ten speed road bike. If you want to be able to go on rough roads, dirt, etc, then you could get a rigid 90s mountain bike. If you get a mountain bike, you could put different tires on it to make it better suited for pavement.

Regardless of what bike you get, make sure it is compatible with a rear rack. You definitely want a rear rack with panniers.

Post in >>>/n/bbg for help finding a good bike. Craigslist and pinkbike.com/buysell are good places. Probably Craigslist since you're going cheap.

Also where do you live?
>>
>>887919
>In Layton's terms, what is a compact crankset and what is it good for??
Generally a road bike term. It refers to a crankset with smaller chain rings, typically a 50 tooth and a 34 tooth (as opposed to a road standard crankset which has a 53 and a 39). Compact cranksets are good for cycling in mountainous/hilly areas with a lot of climbing, and also good for weak people (old people, women, etc).
>Does having a compact frame yield any benefits other than being more aesthetically pleasing to someone who is thin and short?
Not sure what you mean by compact frame. If you mean a frame that is too small for you, then... if it's just a little too small it's partly a matter of personal preference. Especially when it comes to mountain bikes. If it's way too small... try a bike your size, just make sure the saddle is the right height.
>What is an ideal tire size for a speedy and somewhat comfortable ride on a roadbike? Standard 700x25 or..
If you want to go fast but still have some comfort but more focused on speed and only ride on smooth roads, yeah 700x25 is good. If you want more of an all-around commuter type bike that can do better on gravel and rough roads, and more comfortable with a backpack or panniers, then 700x32 is good. For winter on icy snowy roads, 700x40. All a matter of opinion though.
cont
>>
>>887919>>887978
>Flat bars on a roadbike. What is your opinion?
If it works for you, great. Drop bars are good for two reasons: Aggressive position for racing, and more hand positions to allow more comfort on long rides. If you have flat bars and do long rides, you may want to add bar ends. Having your hands in the same position for hours on end can be strenuous.
>Is eventually upgrading to disk brakes worth it or should I just stick to my calipers/cantis?
If you get a new bike, get one with disc brakes. If you mean upgrading the bike you have now, it's not really possible. Sure, you hypothetically could weld disc calliper mounts onto your frame... but even still it's a bad idea because bikes designed for rim brakes can't always stand up to the forces put onto the frame by disc brakes. So basically, if you want disc brakes, get a bike that comes with disc brakes. Don't try to modify a bike to accept discs.
>Aluminum/Steel/Carbon. Benefits of each? Does having steel frame roadbike with really thin tires make the ride softer or am I stupid?
Basically, steel is durable and comfortable. Aluminum is lighter. Carbon is lighter yet, more comfortable than alu but less comfortable than steel. But that's broad generalizations. If you want to know everything in depth, read this:
http://www.ibiscycles.com/support/technical_articles/metallurgy_for_cyclists/the_basics/
If you don't want to read all this, let's just leave it at this:
Steel for recreational riding, touring, and commuting.
Aluminum for racing if poorfag.
Carbon for racing if richfag.

Also, post in the actual /bqg/ next time. More likely to get answers quickly there.
>>
>>887928
Avoid Schwinn, Huffy, Magna, Mongoose, and anything at a department store (Target, Walmart, Kmart, etc)
>>
>>887923
>gay as fuck all round less functional, comfortable and generally stupid
This is wrong. Anon, ignore him. There is nothing wrong with flat bars for non-racers. Just add bar ends for the extra hand positions. I recently did a 305 kilometer (189 mile) ride (with minimal break time, mostly in the saddle nonstop) on a flat bar bike with bar ends. The only thing I would change as far as bars is I would add aero bars to give me a third hand position. (don't worry about aero bars for you though, I only want them because I do really long rides)
>inb4 casual freds claim I only like flats because it's all I have, or some similar faggotry
I have multiple bikes. Flats and drops. I like both types of bars. Drops are fun for cruising around the city and going fast. Flats are generally more comfortable on long rides as long as they are paired with bar ends. But that's just my opinion, some people find drops more comfortable. If you want the most possible hand position, use butterfly bars (aka trekking bars).
>>
>>887920
A carbon road bike. If poorfag, a steel ten speed road bike from the 70s or 80s on Craigslist. >>>/n/bbg can help you find one.
>>
>>887919
>layton's terms
dear god, you're illiterate
>>
>>887990
I'm pretty sure it just reminds him of a puzzle.
>>
>>887984
ur just retarded bruh
>>
>>887990
>Leyton's terms
My sides. God.
>>
File: Layton Solves the Puzzle.jpg (18 KB, 342x192) Image search: [Google]
Layton Solves the Puzzle.jpg
18 KB, 342x192
>>887990
>>
I feel like stabbing the nearest green haired dude now. He's not a good bicycle teacher at all
>>
I can't ride bikes, because whenever I had one I wake up with it gone please help me I've been bikeaphobic ever since
>>
>>887946
I bet a lot of things confuse you.
Consider taking your own advice and stop shitposting.
>>
'sup OP.

Check if you have a local community bike shop. They will teach you all kinds of stuff and they will probably also have cheap bikes for you. A good place to start looking is Google, or here:
http://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Bicycle_Organizations
>>
File: fuck this.gif (389 KB, 159x124) Image search: [Google]
fuck this.gif
389 KB, 159x124
>12 miles
>1.5 hrs
>>
>>888961
He's WALKING at that pace. 8mph is fucking tearing ass.
>>
>>888976
This. That's a 7:30 mile.
>>
>>887919

Wow, someone really did cram pretty much every possible piece of /n/ bait into one post. And people are actually responding.
>>
>>888838

buy a not shit lock
>>
>>887923
who is the semen demon ?
>>
File: r twigg pursuit.jpg (199 KB, 623x1024) Image search: [Google]
r twigg pursuit.jpg
199 KB, 623x1024
>>893437
Rebecca Twig. None of this high heels doesn't ride bullshit
>>
File: carbon steerer.jpg (116 KB, 666x1000) Image search: [Google]
carbon steerer.jpg
116 KB, 666x1000
>>887919
>Aluminum/Steel/Carbon. Benefits of each?

Alu - light, stiff, uncomfortable, disposable, cheap.
Steel - heavier, comfier, durable, more expensive
Cabron - light, comfy, disposable, expensive, kills you when it fails
>>
>>888976
>>888977

Fuck I'm so fat i've never run a 7:30 mile in my entire life.
>>
>>893474

Hngg that fluid druid.
>>
>>885394
You haven't read durianriders cycling ebook yet? Fuckin read it soft cunt
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.