[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>got this bike for ~$150 several years ago >put 2000-3000
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: oldbike.jpg (407 KB, 1573x913) Image search: [Google]
oldbike.jpg
407 KB, 1573x913
>got this bike for ~$150 several years ago
>put 2000-3000 miles on it
>its pretty toasted
Ive had a new bike for a year and this one is collecting dust. What should I do with it?
>>
File: pawnstar.jpg (8 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
pawnstar.jpg
8 KB, 320x240
i'll give you $20
>>
File: pepe.jpg (68 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
68 KB, 500x365
>>937091
I know.
>>
>>937090
>clean what is dirty
>new cables, brake pads, saddle, grips
>read park tool's site and tune up bike
>keep as backup bike or spare bike to lend to friends for rides

Assuming the drive-train and wheels are in good shape fixing the saddle and putting new cables on will get you close to what you paid for it. For more people a used trek for $125-150 beats $350+ for a new one. The brand is important for some buyers.
>>
>>937090
New saddle, fix saddle height, rigid fork.
Are there no spacers under the stem, or is that some weird-ass quill converter? What's keeping the fork and headset seated?
>>
where do you live OP? I might buy it off ya. I want a commuter bike.
>>
File: headset.png (597 KB, 514x583) Image search: [Google]
headset.png
597 KB, 514x583
>>937119
>>937124
I have a proper saddle for it. I put that one on when a girl wanted to ride it. The breaks are in pretty good shape, I replaced them when I got the bike. The biggest mechanical problem is that there is a lot of play in the hubs, they need to be repacked/replaced.

I thought about replacing the fork with a rigid one but you need a headset press. I have some way you can homemake a tool but I dont want to get into then find out I cant finish the job.
>>
File: tool.jpg (45 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
tool.jpg
45 KB, 750x1000
>>937159

>>937156
Long Beach, CA
>>
>>937119
What about relubricating the key bearings: the axle bearings and the bottom bracket?

Let the new owner worry about that?
>>
>>937159
You cut a gap in it with a hacksaw. No need for a press. Many races come this way from the factory to make installation, and particularly removal, easier. As long as you have sealed bearings that don't roll on the actual crownrace it's fine.
(I know these aren't technically races any more unless the balls actually roll on them, but they're still called that.)

ParkTool has an excellent guide for adjusting hubs, but if you've ridden them with play in the bearings they might be ruined already. You'll know when you open them up.
>>
>>937165
>No need for a press
I was just watching a video of a guy changing the fork on a similar bike. It had sealed bearings. He just had to pry the crown race off the old fork with a screw driver and tap it into the new fork. Then everything just went back together with no special tools.

>You'll know when you open them up
I rode it like that forever. How do you know? Bent axle?

I am a pretty good car mechanic but somewhat of a novice bike mechanic.
>>
>>937172
>How do you know?
Pitting of the cones or cups. You'll definitely feel it when you try to pretension the bearing. It won't roll smooth.
>>
>>937162
thats what i hate about buying used bikes, whenever i ask them when they regreased bearings and such or if the bottombrackets threads may caught rust all they reply is like "from time to time i wash it with water and just apply some oil, its in good condition" like wtf nigga and you really want 300 bucks for that?
>>
>>937176
>from time to time i wash it with water and just apply some oil

What? This coming from a non-cyclist, but what?

These asshats don't know those bearings should be lubricated with heavy grease and instead of just, hell, letting the bearings be alone in sadness, they deliberately apply lean oil that will dilute tha grease and then jet in water to rub the rust in?
>>
File: fair.jpg (841 KB, 1892x1150) Image search: [Google]
fair.jpg
841 KB, 1892x1150
>>
>>937181
>What? This coming from a non-cyclist, but what?
If that's the only abuse it's been through you can count yourself lucky. There is no end to what stupid people do to their bikes. And when they strangely start acting up "for no apparent reason" they conclude it must be "spent" and time to buy a new one - and try to flog the trashed one on craighslist.
God damn, I hate the used bicycle market.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.