[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Subway(metro, underground,tube)General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
The entire D.C. metro will be shutting down at midnight for 29 hours in order to conduct emergency inspections.

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=6082

>“The investigation into yesterday’s cable fire at McPherson Square is ongoing," Wiedefeld said. “As a preliminary matter, the conditions appear disturbingly similar to those in the L’Enfant incident of a year ago, and our focus is squarely on mitigating any risk of a fire elsewhere on the system.”

Who shuts down the whole damn subway? Do you think this is just a precaution or do they know the whole system is completely fucked?

I've been a passenger on this system and it's actually a transit system of beauty compared to the rest of urban America. Also, post your subway trains!

Picture related from last year
>>
File: T1 and TR.jpg (130 KB, 590x393) Image search: [Google]
T1 and TR.jpg
130 KB, 590x393
Toronto, Ontario.

Left: T1, built by Bombardier. Found on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth, and Line 4 Sheppard.

Right: Toronto Rocket (TR), also built by Bombardier. Found on Line 1 Yonge-University, and soon on Line 4.
>>
>>933868
Operating a train on the right-hand side seems pretty degenerate to me.
>>
>>933864
>Do you think this is just a precaution or do they know the whole system is completely fucked?
It's the latter. WMATA spends fuck all on maintenance and the feds are constantly up their ass about it. Every single accident or derailment they have (which they have much more often than any other agency) ends up being the fault of lack of maintenance.
That, and the massive amounts of corruption and all around not caring about the job leads to nothing being done. Oh, and I forgot, there's also the (off the books) fact that if you report a maintenance flaw you can be fired, given a shitty shift/job, or have your pay deducted.
>>
File: metro-accident-for-ants.jpg (9 KB, 310x174) Image search: [Google]
metro-accident-for-ants.jpg
9 KB, 310x174
>>933881
Thanks for the post, anon. I knew there had to be some kind of shenanigans going on. Do you work... on the inside?
>>
File: Oslo T Bane.jpg (153 KB, 836x841) Image search: [Google]
Oslo T Bane.jpg
153 KB, 836x841
In Oslo, when Loren Station opens in April, Line 5 is going to do a loop-de-loop.

>>933878
The person in the cab isn't the operator, it's a train guard.
>>
>>933908
>loop-de-loop.
>on a Metro system

Just curious but what purpose does this serve? Why not just go in a U shape from Vestli to Sognsvann?
>>
>>933868
>running the highest capacity rolling stock on the least used line rather than the Bloor-Danforth line
Who made this decision and why?
>>
>>933881
Aren't all the funds for Metrorail being sucked away by Métrobus?
>>
>>933909
I don't know. Ruter (the transit authority) doesn't explain why.

>>933915
Since Line 4 trains go to Davisville Yard (it's along Line 1) they will interfere with the Automatic Train Control on Line 1.

The trains will use ATC along Line 1, and will be manually operated once they are on Line 4.

Also the Line 4 trains will have 4 carriages instead of 6.
>>
>>933868
The TR is one sexy train
>>
>>933908
at first this triggered my autism, but then I started to think that it actually doesn't matter at all to the user, and instead you have one less line and don't have to deal with the complexities of a circular line. fuckin magnets how do they work
>>
File: Berlin IK.jpg (622 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Berlin IK.jpg
622 KB, 1024x768
An IK type train on the Berlin U-Bahn. They are built by Stadler.
>>
>>933908
Wow. It must change the destination indicator somehow in Ullevål and Carl Benners? Or is the information conveyed in station announcements?

Nice metro system, by the way.
>>
>>933917
>Since Line 4 trains go to Davisville Yard (it's along Line 1) they will interfere with the Automatic Train Control on Line 1.
The fuck? What ATC/ATO system are they using? The one used in Paris allows for automated trains to run alongside manually operated trains.
>>
>>934018
Alstom Urbalis 400.
>>
>>934018
I know at least here in New York, ours were done the same time as the signals needed replacing, and we just opted to not put in signals on the part of the track where the line was by itself. Really fucked us over, and we now put regular signals on the line too.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.