[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gag/ - General Aviation General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88
File: isOLED.jpg (170 KB, 1015x636) Image search: [Google]
isOLED.jpg
170 KB, 1015x636
"First 10 hours" edition.

Question of the thread.
>Crosswind landings?
>>
File: Sideslip short final.jpg (52 KB, 1200x793) Image search: [Google]
Sideslip short final.jpg
52 KB, 1200x793
>>921200
>crosswind landings
Easier than people make it out to be, honestly.
>establish sideslip approach
>nose aligned with centerline
>banked into wind to eliminate lateral drift
>maintain 2x descent (C172 or similar)
>smooth flare, gentle touchdown
>one wheel may touch first
>allow other main to touch, slowly bring nose to the pavement
>maintain wind correction with aileron/rudder and apply brakes
People shouldn't be intimidated with it, it just takes practice
>>
File: carbheat.jpg (539 KB, 2063x1128) Image search: [Google]
carbheat.jpg
539 KB, 2063x1128
>>
File: medwing.jpg (668 KB, 2729x1217) Image search: [Google]
medwing.jpg
668 KB, 2729x1217
>>
File: spiffy.jpg (1 MB, 3313x1669) Image search: [Google]
spiffy.jpg
1 MB, 3313x1669
>>
File: wat.png (429 KB, 665x388) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
429 KB, 665x388
>>921205
Dude that wingtip is somethin else
>>
File: faster.jpg (1 MB, 3137x1325) Image search: [Google]
faster.jpg
1 MB, 3137x1325
>>
File: nose.jpg (748 KB, 2402x1131) Image search: [Google]
nose.jpg
748 KB, 2402x1131
>>921208
ya, needs curb wiskers.

shop maysell and close., but opens a nest.,, feelike a starfish,, cutting off a leg, hopeing it grows back fast,,,, down to last 2 legs!

http://reno.craigslist.org/bfs/5410475973.html
>>
>>921212
I don't understand anything you say BaconRider, but you're alright in my book
>>
>>921202
Why not crab on the approach, then as you roundout use rudder to align longitudinal axis with centerline, dropping the upwind wing to keep yourself from drifting? When crabbing properly, you're not fighting the airplanes natural stability, and you're not wasting energy by slipping. The approach is flown normally, and the airplane is decrabed before touchdown.
>>
File: Crosswind.jpg (95 KB, 900x558) Image search: [Google]
Crosswind.jpg
95 KB, 900x558
>>921220
There are a few reasons.
1. during a sideslip method, you are in a stabilized approach all the way into the roundout/flare and touchdown
2. Kind of building on 1, you don't have to make sudden corrections at the last minute, minimizing the chance for error
3. In the crab method, it is very easy to sideload the gear, which can be bad

New pilots have a habit of sideloading gear, and the sideslip method allows them to make finite adjustments in the flare rather than major attitude/bank/rudder adjustments. It helps in stronger wind scenarios too. A lot of people prefer not to do it simply because it is a cross-controlled maneuver and feels a bit unnatural
>>
>>921226
I hear what you're saying, but with a little practice, it's not hard to decrab and do a zero side load, forward slip touchdown with a crabbed approach.

I don't cruise a hundred miles in a slip when there's a crosswind at altitude, I crab. I don't fly the downwind or base leg of a traffic pattern for one mile in a slip, I crab. I don't slip in my turns when there's a crosswind, i crab. so why approach the runway in a slip on final? Just seems unnecessary.
>>
>>921226
And to rebut your first two points
1.although your approach may be stabilized, it's not with neutral control input, which is preferred. Why wrestle with a slip when you can set your crab, trim the airplane, and then focus on making small corrections?
2. Simultaneously rounding out, aligning the longitudinal axis using rudder and controlling drift using bank, then flaring to a one wheel touch down is way cooler, is good practice, and when done correctly leaves bitches wet ( ok maybe it doesn't).
Flying the airplane down crooked and slipped is more work, looks silly, and is a poor place to start from when executing a go-around.
I can see demonstrating a slipped approach to a crosswind landing to a student to show them how the control inputs should be used at the roundout, but to teach this as standard practice from the base to final turn is silly.
>>
File: sideloaded.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sideloaded.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>921236
The sideslip approach is only for ~1 mile final or so. Obviously you don't sideslip the aircraft any time you need a wind correction angle, its only for short final. The whole idea is to not make a bunch of big corrections in the flare, allowing the pilot to focus primarily on the touchdown rather than changing the heading, rudder and the aileron all at once in addition to making a smooth touchdown. Its about being ahead of the aircraft.

I should note that larger transport category aircraft use the crab n kick method because of the more robust landing gear. They are designed and built to withstand higher lateral forces
>>
File: IMG_20160127_125302.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160127_125302.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>921226
Aaaand one last thing, you're not flying the airplane to its max demonstrated crosswind figure with the slipping approach technique. The crab is necessary (and yes, crab sideslip combined) if you want every bit of performance from the airplane.
I'm done now.
>>
>>921244
Short final should be flown the same as five mile final... stabilized, trimmed, and crabbed. Agree to disagree.
As long as your direction of travel is parallel to the direction of your landing gear, and the centerline if the runway upon touchdown, right? ;)
I feel like we've thoroughly confused our ten hour friend, the OP. Our work here is done. Goodnight, sweet anon.
>>
File: IMG_0975.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0975.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>921247
>>921250
Well, if you won't believe me, believe the C172S NAV III POH. Straight outta the book, it gives you "the best control."

Hehe, if the student pilot isn't confused, there is still work to be done
>>
File: a380-crosswind-emirates.jpg (71 KB, 1022x510) Image search: [Google]
a380-crosswind-emirates.jpg
71 KB, 1022x510
Someone say "crosswinds"?
>>
>>921251
I, for one, have found out that most of what your instructor tells you sounds like moonspeak until you're actually doing something.
>>
Question: If I decide to het into flying, can I listen to music or podcasts on long flights
>>
>>921566
Not at first. You have to be proficient at radio communications and task management before you can listen to music and stuff. You don't want to miss calls or overlook something in the cockpit because you were distracted listening to a podcast.

But once you get proficient and can manage the cockpit, absolutely
>>
Last week we had to recover a botched crosswind landing; the plane stopped just short of chopping trees.

The windsock was blowing to the opposite side, so it's likely the wind suddenly stopped.
>>
>>921320
B-52 says "lol crosswinds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUHQ_-l6Qg
>>
This snow's killing me
>>
>>921573
Alright then, thanks

It's a fantasy of mine to fly an airplane alone over good scenery while listening to really smooth jazz
>>
File: IMG_20160208_214558.jpg (914 KB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160208_214558.jpg
914 KB, 3072x1728
I have this "aviator" cap. There's this ear flap with a snap button in the middle but it doesn't lead anywhere. What is it for?

Also the thing that's by temple I suppose it's to hold the goggles strap?
>>
>>922089
just decorative maybe?
I can't think of anything that could even be used for
>>
>>922089
Probably

How does the wearer use a headset, though? Is there room for comms equipment built in to the hat?
>>
File: first solo.jpg (46 KB, 816x624) Image search: [Google]
first solo.jpg
46 KB, 816x624
Facebook memory of my first solo popped up from 3 years ago on my mother's feed. 3 years really went fast...
>>
>>922243
Also sorry for the grainy ass phone picture. I'm happy the memory is preserved at all honestly.
>>
>>922243
>Here are some dank-ass memerys from a year ago! Wouldn't you like to share?
>>
>>922084
Totally doable. Many light sport Aircraft don't even have radios, or any electrical system. Easy to stay away from controlled airspace, and safe too with ADSB giving you plenty of warning for traffic and terrain.
>>
>>922243
I like that airplane. Where did you do your initial training? I can't find any place around here that will let a student solo a tail wheel airplane. They won't let someone with the endorsement solo it either for that matter, something about insurance rates.
>>
Anyone ever had the heating die in their plane? How cold can it get inside?
>>
>>922272
Depends on whether or not it's sunny out; in the R22 you have that massive bubble canopy that turns the cockpit into a greenhouse
>>
>>922271
I'm extremely fortunate in being an airport community brat. There was another aviation hopeful in the neighborhood and our parents worked out a partnership deal. Altogether based on how much I've flown that plane we saved a shitload of money, and the other partner sold out so now its our airplane alone.

>Where did you do your initial training?
I did all my training part 61 and dragged my feet so I took forever. I didn't realize the opportunity that literally fell onto me. This solo was at f45, which is where I knocked out *most* of my PPL.

That being said most tailwheel instructors nowadays seem less interested in doing primary in a tailwheel (insurance rates) and more interested in doing endorsements for those who already have PPL/LSA.

>I can't find any place around here that will let a student solo a tailwheel airpolane.

We had a hell of a time just finding instructors that were tailwheel endorsed with enough freetime to teach me. Forget finding an examiner, we made ALOT of phone calls.

That particular solo was at F45 but was not my home airport.
>>
>>922272
I don't fly with the heater just because mine smells so bad, Just bundle up and maybe seal some of the bigger gaps with masking tape for the day. It's really not that bad and I've flown down to about 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
>>
>>922278
What does it smell like?
>>
>>922279
Same shitty smell when you turn the heater on in the house. I've got a carbon monoxide detector if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>922272
In most light airplanes, the "heater" is just a hose that runs outside air through a shroud around an exhaust pipe, then dumps the air into the cabin. It's a very crude system, and if there's a leak in your exhaust, you can get carbon monoxide poisoning, but it never breaks and its very light.
>>
>>922280
>shitty smell when you turn the heater on in the house

I have radiators in my house like most normal people and they don't smell m8
>>922281
That sounds a bit risky.
>>
>>922277
I figured as much, you lucky bastard.
>>
>>922282
>sounds a bit risky
I know, right? Works though, and it's light.
>>
>>922283
Took me awhile to wake up to it because I grew up around it but you're right. Every day I fly now I get a real sense of how lucky I am, and I try to share that airplane with as many freaking people as I can.
>>
>>922285
I fly a 150 out of KSFB, where are you? We should meet up at Sun n' fun or one of the central Florida pancake breakfasts some time.
>>
>>922282
It runs the air through entirely different system, and the only connection between the heat and the exhaust is the shroud; the only way carbon monoxide could get into it is if both pipes had holes and those two holes were right next to one another
>>
>>922284
Do light aircraft have sockets for power? Could you take an electric fan heater with you?
>>922288
Fair enough
>>
Why does the only aviation job website I can find have a monthly subscription fee?
>>
>>922289
it would probably draw alot of current. I wouldn't
>>
>>922289
An electric heater is more of a risk than drawing ambient heat from the exhaust, I'd say. And no, no general aviation aircraft I've seen has electrical sockets. Most of the electricity that's generated goes straight to the avionics
>>
>>922291
>>922292
Fair enough.

What about cool air then, does that just come in from outside through a vent?
>>
>>922293
Uh huh.
>>
>>921200
yeah nice Planes
>>
>mfw going over charts and airspace in ground school
ihavenoideawhati'mdoing.jpg

Confusing as fuck
>>
>>922286
I'm out of KPCM at the moment, still flying the 150 in that picture.
>>
>>922321
Class A is Above
Class B is Big
Class C is Cities
Class D is Dinky
Class E is Everywhere else
See? Not so hard.
>>
>>922293
Yup
>>
>>922321
It really isn't once you get the hang of it, it's just busy as fuck, and there's really no helping that.
>>
>>922344
Also, you forgot

>Maroon airport: Untowered
>Blue airport: Towered
>>
>>922286
speaking of pancake breakfasts, I have a lot to do with the club running this. Feel free to swing by.

Also depending on how old you are this club might be right up your alley. Just a bunch of kids who like airplanes really.
>>
>>922321
Have fun with instrument charts.
>>
>>922347
>>922344
Well I guess I'm understand what each airspace is for, but I just get all the altitudes mixed up. Maybe my ground school teacher will explain it better than the Gleim Test Prep thing I did
>>
>>922354
They put the airspace altitudes right in the rings, and Class A is 18,000 ASL and up
>>
>>922352
>arms through prop arc
>sitting on top of wing

You making me cringe mang
>>
File: IMG_1093.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1093.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>922363
>implying I made that.
>>
File: photo2.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
photo2.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>922289
Some have 12v adapters just like a car. I charge my phone all the time
>>922353
Instrument charts are easier IMO
>>922354
Airspace is kinda tricky. Just know some key things:
1. Golf and Echo don't require you to contact anyone before entering, apart from position reports.
2. Don't worry about Alpha, its irrelevant to new pilots
3. Bravo is less scary than people will have you believe
4. Gleim is rote memorization. It is very good for helping you pass the knowledge test, but for learning the material? Garbage.
5. With airspace, memorizing altitudes don't really matter. With Bravo, Charlie and Delta, just look at the charts. They'll tell you the altitudes. If anything, learn the 6 floors of Echo
>>
Any Canucks here? What's the easiest way to get my pilot's license? It's always been my dream, but shit's expensive.
>>
>>922365
The lack of seaplanes in the modern era is truly tragic
>>
Hey there /gag/,

I would like to know from somebody that has more knowledge than me, how many plane manufacturers are out there?

Airbus is one, Boeing is one, "Textron Aviation" is the maker of Cessnas, what other manufacturers are there?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
I'm asking as I am currently investigating our earth aerospace (for teh lulz).
>>
>>922394
Piper
Beechcraft
Bombardier
Embraer
Saab
Dassault
Tupolev
Ilyushin
Mitsubishi
ATR
Honda
Hawker
BAE
Fairchild
Fokker

That's all the Commercial companies I can think of at the moment
>>
>>922406
Thank you very much, it is greatly appreciated and saved!
>>
>>922380
>4. Gleim is rote memorization. It is very good for helping you pass the knowledge test, but for learning the material? Garbage.
I agree. I wish our ground teacher would use something else, but he makes up for it in his lessons. Very informative.
>>
>>922491
Some other good resources:

Aeronautical Information Manual
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim_basic_4-03-14.pdf

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

I used Gleim to study for Private, Instrument, and Commercial, and if you memorize the questions, you'll do great on the knowledge tests. The real learning happens on your own or with an instructor, which is key
>>
I went flying by myself tonight, no fiancé, no dog... Just the night sky and my thoughts. I found some cheap avgas, so I din't feel bad about just cruising. I saw the lights, I saw the dark places, I flew high and low, I zoomed along just a foot above the runways, as fast as the plane would go, and then I just sat and watched the stars, feeling the wind rock my wings, for hours, watching towns go by underneath, full of sleeping ground people.

Why do they stay on the ground, guys? I don't understand. Why do those people not fly? They could fly, if they wanted to... But they don't want to. I don't understand.
>>
>>922406
I think Sikorsky is still independent for the time being, and I think Airbus swallowed up Fokker
>>
>>922514
Because shit's expensive, yo.

Also, a lot of people I know just straight-up don't like flying; they get scared shitless when the ground goes out from underneath them. Also, others can't be fucked to learn all that shit or devote the time needed to do it.
>>
File: otter-and-denali.jpg (296 KB, 2102x1402) Image search: [Google]
otter-and-denali.jpg
296 KB, 2102x1402
>>922514
Be thankful the skies are not as crowded as the streets. For most, it is too expensive. Some just don't like flying. If everyone flew, it wouldn't be as special
>>
>>922519
Nah, Fokker went bankrupt and split into several smaller companies, some being absorbed into Stork N.V. and some continuing as separate smaller businesses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker
>>
File: madoma.jpg (110 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
madoma.jpg
110 KB, 700x800
>>922522
>tfw will never be able to afford flying in my life
At least I can browse /n/ instead.
>>
File: paragliding-03_4.jpg (218 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
paragliding-03_4.jpg
218 KB, 1000x1000
>>922527
Depends on your definition of flying. Sailplanes, hang gliders, paragliding, powered paragliding, and ultralights are all forms of flying, and those don't cost much at all.

Flying comes in a lot of forms, don't just fixate on one
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 305x165) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 305x165
>>922392
The lack of gentlemen air pirates in the modern era is also disappointing
>>
File: rockies in the seneca.jpg (51 KB, 866x649) Image search: [Google]
rockies in the seneca.jpg
51 KB, 866x649
>>922514
I think it's like >>922521 said.
People just either don't want to, or have the mental or physical capacity to learn what they need to for even basic flight.
The average person these days is quite superficial and needs to have their thinking set straight, imho.
>>
>>922530
>powered paragliding
thanks for reminding me of that, I guess doing something like that is pretty awesome (considering you've got a job to pay for it)
>>
>>922533
It's what society is really missing.
>>
>>922534
I don't think it's necessarily mental capacity, most people I've met can make themselves smart if they choose, I think it's just a lack of desire.
>>
>>922533
I have a hard time seeing aviation as an area conducive to piracy, you can't exactly pull up alongside your target and board it
>>
>>922527
There are financing plans available, and you don't need a license to operate an ultralight.

That being said, I'd take a few lessons and get used to flying before hopping in an ultralight.
>>
File: 1370323.jpg (341 KB, 1100x745) Image search: [Google]
1370323.jpg
341 KB, 1100x745
>>922526
Damn shame, that. They made some legendary machines.
>>
File: image.jpg (222 KB, 1040x709) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222 KB, 1040x709
>>922621
They have a reputation for making some ugly planes. I like the Fairchild Metro II; I think it was good in concept and worked fairly well as a low-cost alternative for cargo and regional flights, but it has some flaws that can't be overlooked.
>>
File: planewatrr.jpg (244 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
planewatrr.jpg
244 KB, 1280x800
>>922593
lots esayer to drop a ,"package,, on the deck, of oiltanker?
,orbithe ship till ,,Munys!
,,inflate package ballon remotly, and retreive.
,now you can afford to be,,:"FoodRunner"!, breadbombs, and wolly blankets.
>>
>>922629
That is, admitedly, a hideous machine, though I don't think looks aught to be the final say for whether or not an aircraft is viable to fly
>>
File: skyraider.jpg (257 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
skyraider.jpg
257 KB, 800x534
the only Official planes flying over Syria,,, deliverdeath.,
,,not,, a single candy bar?, no.
,,,so? anyone who delivers>LIFE,, is a TERURIST PIRAT!!,
, im to old for this,, You, must learn,, the waysof the PIRATE!
,,i need a conectionin Jordan.
>>
>>922785
>>922794
Uh, Bacon - Yankee Tango Four Zulu; Anon Radio, we read you two by four at best... do you have an other radio?
>>
>>922385
if you're in Alberta, Sky Wings at YQF is the way to go man. 10k and you've got your private. 6k for rec permit.
>>
File: 5856154134_ea8d28616a_o.jpg (2 MB, 2082x1172) Image search: [Google]
5856154134_ea8d28616a_o.jpg
2 MB, 2082x1172
>>922793
Of course. Looks aside, the Fairchild Metro was an OK aircraft. It cruised pretty quick for a turboprop, it was a low-cost alternative to a King Air (Metro costs 1/2 what a king air would), and it had some powerful Garrett TPE331 engines. It has an alcohol-water injection system to increase the horsepower for hot-and-high takeoff performance, which I thought was cool. The downsides were that it leaked fuel and oil constantly, the cargo door was flimsy and broke a lot, and when the engineers at Fairchild designed the upgrade from the Metro II to the Metro III and Metro 23, they simply added 4ft of extra wing on the existing wing, without adjusting the aileron position. This made the aircraft notoriously unresponsive.

It has some nicknames too:
>the San Antonio Sewerpipe
>the Flying Sausage
>>
>>922827
So it was legitimately terrible, fair enough
>>
>>922827
Its also loud as fuck.

Working the ramp around one of these things sucks ass. Never specifically worked one myself. but I'd be standing underneath the APU of a 767 and I'd only be able to hear the metroliner
>>
>>922289
>>922293
>>922877
You say "fair enough" a lot.
>>
File: Perimeter_Metroliner.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
Perimeter_Metroliner.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>922892
Hehe yeah they are pretty loud. Many people may just find it annoying, but I kind of like the sound of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm2hbVo3f-Y
>>
>>922893
Fair enough
>>
>>922893
Also, those are two different people
>>
>>923063
Success of any kind gets chicks' panties wet
>>
>>923056
Fair enough
>>
>Crosswind edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxoacmb7zxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oej4Z8S-6M0
>>
File: 20160212_160017-1.jpg (819 KB, 1823x2743) Image search: [Google]
20160212_160017-1.jpg
819 KB, 1823x2743
I'm scared boys.
>>
File: Cardinal.jpg (524 KB, 1782x786) Image search: [Google]
Cardinal.jpg
524 KB, 1782x786
>>
File: tuned.jpg (551 KB, 1437x1078) Image search: [Google]
tuned.jpg
551 KB, 1437x1078
oldbumps
>>
File: fullfly.jpg (438 KB, 1353x851) Image search: [Google]
fullfly.jpg
438 KB, 1353x851
>>
File: blender.jpg (561 KB, 2151x841) Image search: [Google]
blender.jpg
561 KB, 2151x841
>>
>>922530
You're right. Hang glider.
And maybe buying a ton of material and making a lighter than air vehicle.
>>
>>922906

well cause those engines idle at 95%

>>923063

the O&P's are easy. just study the book and use the practical test standards

The writtens are like...nothing, every single one of my finals and mid terms is a 100 question prepware exam, everyone looks at you like an aidiot if you get below 95% on those, literally do the sections over and over until you can answer a question by reading the first 3 words and you got it.

Took me 10 minutes to do the general and 15 minutes to do the powerplant, about 6 hours to do the General/powerplant O&P, got my airframe scheduled in a month. No problem ofcourse have to deal with the new test system, old one was better.
>>
Finally (FINALLY) About to take my checkride, almost 3 months after I had thought it was about to happen
>>
>>923646
Nice! Just took a Commercial Single checkride yesterday. Good luck!
>>
>>922893
Fair enough
>>
File: drugy.jpg (669 KB, 2375x1210) Image search: [Google]
drugy.jpg
669 KB, 2375x1210
>>
File: space.jpg (484 KB, 2337x1081) Image search: [Google]
space.jpg
484 KB, 2337x1081
>>
File: tiplane.jpg (743 KB, 2705x1081) Image search: [Google]
tiplane.jpg
743 KB, 2705x1081
>>
File: iceboots.jpg (814 KB, 2332x1289) Image search: [Google]
iceboots.jpg
814 KB, 2332x1289
>>
File: fidytoo.jpg (822 KB, 2981x1157) Image search: [Google]
fidytoo.jpg
822 KB, 2981x1157
>>
File: oh no.jpg (198 KB, 1258x926) Image search: [Google]
oh no.jpg
198 KB, 1258x926
Hey guys, I'm not a normal /n/ poster, but I something sketchy happened this morning and I was wondering if any pilot friends could shed some light on this. I was flying my quadcopter out in the middle of the desert probably about 50 feet off the ground, when I hear some military helicopters thundering towards me fast and low. I landed the quadcopter immediately and watched the helicopters pass. I checked all the no fly FAA no fly zone websites I could find and apparently it's perfectly legal to fly there, but I definitely won't be doing it again. I was flying maybe 10-20 miles from a military gunnery range. Who goofed here, and how can I avoid stuff like this in the future?
>>
>>923756
probably just a coincidence.
>>
File: location.png (1 MB, 1045x609) Image search: [Google]
location.png
1 MB, 1045x609
>>923756
I'm assuming you were near the pink triangle on the map (pic related).

Nope, you're fine. There happens to be a Low Altitude Military Training Route (MTR) very close to that area, designated VR1266 on the map. South of your location there is both a Restricted Area (blue hashed area) and a Military Operating Area (MOA, magenta hatched area). To your northeast there is an active Presidential TFR, but you were nowhere near it. Technically, you could've flown your drone up to 500ft since class Echo airspace doesn't start until 1200ft AGL where you were. Just be cautious of low-flying military aircraft, since that MTR is for altitudes below 1500ft
>>
>>923768
*Up to, but not including 500ft AGL
>>
>>923767
>>923768
So they technically weren't supposed to be there? they couldn't have been much more than 100 feet off the ground.
>>
>>923773
The military sometimes has exceptions to certain rules. Because of the VR1266 MTR, along that airway they cannot be above 1500ft AGL. Also, because you were in the middle of the desert, the FARs specify that you can fly as low as you want provided the aircraft is operated at least 500ft from any person, vessel, structure or vehicle (FAR 91.119(c))

Its no biggie, honestly.
>>
>>923773
Military rules supercede civilian FAA rules, so unless those pilots were doing something flagrantly wrong they weren't breaking any laws
>>
>>923649
Fingers crossed my CFI wasn't bullshitting me when he said that the next time we go up would be the last before he recommended me for it.
>>
>>923776
>>923777
Okay, thanks. Still not flying there ever again though.
>>
>>923779
It's up to you. You didn't do anything wrong.
>>
>>923773
Nobody did anything wrong. Sometimes Aircraft are in the same area at the same time, that's what "see and avoid" is for. First you see, then you avoid.
>>
>>923785
>>923792
The whole event just unnerved me because I make an effort to not be one of the morons ruining the hobby for everybody else by ending up in the news as "COBRA GUNSHIP HAS NEAR MISS WITH DRONE"
>>
>>923799
Don't worry, you're one of those morons anyway.

Fuck you and your drone.

Sincerely, a helicopter pilot.
>>
File: 1446479019234.jpg (11 KB, 291x343) Image search: [Google]
1446479019234.jpg
11 KB, 291x343
>>923816
I'm sorry cobra pilot it was my first time there. Don't hold a grudge. Thx for not shooting me though. :)
>>
>>923816
From my experience, helicopter pilots like you are the snowboarders of the sky

Complete assholes.
>>
>>923769
499.9 and you're still good.
>>
File: Vote for the Pirates!.jpg (11 KB, 350x124) Image search: [Google]
Vote for the Pirates!.jpg
11 KB, 350x124
>>922533
>pirate
>>
>>922593
Sez you!
>>
>>923799
I maintain that drones should be better lit up, but it sounds like you were operating it within the rules, and it's not like most pilots are going to fly nap of the earth. But yeah, find a different spot to use it, I say. Away from military training routes and whatnot. The last collision I heard about was an F-16 hitting a Cessna 172 on an MTR going to the MOA, but not in the MOA itself

>>923816
Don't be a dick
>>
>>923833
From my experience, you faggot ass Cessna/Piper flying grandpas seem to still think it's the 1970s and that you can just lumber about where you please, radios and other traffic be damned.

The fact you compared helicopter pilots to snowboarders really profiles you. Enjoy your skis, bitch.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 413x224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 413x224
>>923917
Like I said, complete assholes
>>
>>923884
>I maintain that drones should be better lit up
I agree, or even have some kind of transponder to communicate with/avoid manned aircraft. for my next build I plan to fit something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ailEQgTL-g

Not sure how much it could help during the day though.
>>
>>923917
>>923941
Jesus Christ, dudes, calm your tits
>>
>2.1 night cross country flight that went decently.

Fucking winter I feel like my radio work has gotten worse. I've only been flying about once a month this winter and its my first winter with just my private, I work late on weekdays so showing up after work is out of the question leaving only weekends to fly and they've been shit 90% of the time. I'd been planing this flight for over 3 months now and today was the only day that it was able to happen. That said night cross country is incredibly comfy. especially since this was a clear night with a dark moon so all the stars were out and flying over cottage country meant that the lights on the ground were as sparse as the stars. I could only tell the ground from the sky because of the snow on the ground. Felt good.
>>
>>924169
Could American RT ever be considered "good"?
>>
I had to cancel a flight today, due to freezing fucking cold-ass temperatures. It's been below zero for the entire weekend
>>
>>924221
That's too bad.
Up here it's lovely.
160100Z 35004KT 15SM FEW040 FEW260 04/M07 A2977 RMK SC1CI1 SLP115
Went for a nice cross country.
>>
File: Wind get.png (2 KB, 194x59) Image search: [Google]
Wind get.png
2 KB, 194x59
my airport has a nice get at the moment
>>
>>924349
I don't know anything about aviation, what do those numbers mean?
>>
>>924221
>-23 C
>went flying

It was worth it just to keep my night rating though.
>>
>>924364
Those are METARs, or routine aviation weather reports. Each set of numbers and letters relates to an individual aspect of the current weather:
>160100Z
date/time-The 16th of the month, 01:00 zulu (UTC)
>00000KT
wind direction/speed- 000 degrees, 0 knots
>15SM
visibility- 15 statued miles visibility

and the list goes on.

>>924392
I hope you watch the humidity when you do night flights in temps like that.
>>
>>924397
Why? for carb icing?
>>
>>924402
Carburetor icing and frost
>>
>>924409
yeah nah not as much as a problem at -23 as it is at -12. -12 to -8 is the prime rime icing region and carb icing is actually more likely to happen in air that's at 20C than -20C because of the increased moisture content in the air. Cold air doesn't hold as much moisture as warmer air even if warmer means -12. And generally when its that cold here its because of a continental arctic air mass and so the air tends to be very dry (which is was, very few clouds and when i left there was about 6 degrees between the ambiant and the dew point and the GFA didn't indicate any icing conditions)

That isn't to say i didn't take precautions, I was doing my carb checks and I kept my pitot heat on.
>>
>>924410
surprisingly enough, it's hot summer days when carb icing is a major concern.
>>
>>924410
True, true. A lot of times in cold areas with high humidity the frost will form at the temps closer to 0°C but then remain on the aircraft as the temperature falls further. You'd be surprised at how many people see frost on preflight as a non-issue
>>924411
It's not that it is a greater concern at high temps, but more so because people simply forget about the danger simply cause it's warm
>>
File: carb icing.jpg (84 KB, 550x272) Image search: [Google]
carb icing.jpg
84 KB, 550x272
>>924413
>>924411
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 418x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 418x367
>>924414
Huh, fair enough. I fly with a fuel injected engine, so I haven't much experience with carb ice. I've always been looking at this chart and figured the colder it was the worse it would be.
>>
>>924416
To be fair I live in Canada. So yeah we know cold. and only having a chart that goes to -7C would not work well pretty much anywhere here. My club only stops flying when its -25C ambient which is about -13F
>>
>>924413
The higher temps allow more water to be in the air
My work has these massive air compressors, and you have to drain the condensate water from them at the end of the day. in the winter you get about a cup of water at most, while in the summer they collect a few gallons easily.

>>924414
yes, but it does get colder the higher up you go, so even if it's 30 on the ground, at 5000agl you're at 20.
>>
ok, question,
>Airport-radio, Lima-India-Mike is downwind for touch and go Runway 34
OR
>Airport-radio, Lima-India-Mike is downwind for Runway 34, touch and go.
i.e. Runway before intentions or vise-versa?
Or does it matter?
>>
>>924598
It doesn't matter.
>>
>>924598
Don't say "for"
>>
>>924598
Whichever you can say more quickly and clearly
>>
>>924349
What's the dewpoint? I usually don't see shit like that unless it's about to get humid as fuck
>>
>>924716
dew point is the temperature is 100% saturated with water anything more than that and the water will start condensing into a mist than a fog.

its important in the summer to know when you're most at risk for carburetor icing or in the winter for frost formation.
>>
fuck you plane fuckers, I hope your planes crash and you burn to your death.
>>
>>924730
I'll make sure to aim for you Allahu Akbar
>>
>>924728
No, I was asking what the dewpoint in that METAR actually was, O knots of wind usually means it's humid as fuck
>>
>>924598
Don't say is or for. Get out of those habits now. Touch and go is also not necessary until the base/final call.

But this is me being nitpicky.
>>
>>924730
Nice edge
>>
If I'm allowed to ask for them
Could someone kindly post nice shots of the NAA P-51 A.K.A The Cadillac Of The Sky?
Thanks for everything guys
>>
File: 1411677791594.jpg (2 MB, 3600x2025) Image search: [Google]
1411677791594.jpg
2 MB, 3600x2025
>>924804
Only got a couple. Frankly I think it was overrated. It was an excellent aircraft, but I don't like how everyone automatically thinks the P-51 was the greatest aircraft of WWII.
>>
File: 1426943803534.jpg (320 KB, 2048x1357) Image search: [Google]
1426943803534.jpg
320 KB, 2048x1357
Welp, I guess my other P-51 is too big to upload. Enjoy a Supermarine Spitfire as a substitute
>>
File: metar.png (4 KB, 516x32) Image search: [Google]
metar.png
4 KB, 516x32
>>924736
It was actually pretty dry that day here.
here's the current one.
>issued on 18th day of month, at 0000 Greenwich mean time. (UTC or Z [zulu])
>Winds are coming from 150 degrees, at 7 knots
>Visibility is 15 statute miles
>Overcast at 9500 feet above sea level
>temperature 1C / Dewpoint MINUS 4C
If it cools to minus four, the air will be saturated with water and it will condense into clouds/fog.
You can calculate the height of the cloud base using the standard 2°/1000'.
For every thousand feet you go up, the temp drops 2 degrees.
When that reaches the dew point, there's your cloud base.

>Altimeter setting (atmospheric pressure) 29.49 inches mercury (InHg)
Remarks:
>altocumulus clouds covering 8/8 oktas (all of the sky)
>sea level pressure 1035 (which will be closer to 1000? 935 or 1035? that's how you chose what number to put. 9 or 1000, which ever is closer to 1000.
>>
>>924777
Awesome. That's what I need, is someone to be nitpicky.
Thanks.
>>
File: P-51_Mustang_edit1.jpg (546 KB, 2658x1614) Image search: [Google]
P-51_Mustang_edit1.jpg
546 KB, 2658x1614
>>924804
I've got this one
>>
>>924839
I know how to read a METAR, I'm not that other guy.
>>
>>924839
The pressure is 1003.5 millibars, not 1035. You take the digits there and add either a 9 or a 10, but the last digit is 10ths of a millibar
>>
File: IMG_20150803_202658.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150803_202658.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>924730
You're just jelly we have the coolest cages
>>
I like how the first page of the 8710 is a "Paperwork Reduction Act Statement" that tells you to toss the first page. America's tax dollars at work right there.
>>
Story time guys
I wanted to tell you all when it happened but I think I forgot.

My fiancé and I flew from Orlando up to Dublin Georgia so I could be introduced to that side of her family over Christmas time. We got stuck overnight in Jacksonville for weather, and when we departed the next morning, I heard a familiar voice on Jacksonville departure....
Where had I heard that voice???
"Connection 418, Aloha and Merry Christmas! Fly direct Craig...."
Aha! Aloha, that's it!
"Jacksonville departure, Commuter 4BT here, you didn't happen to be sitting at Fisk, controlling the inbounds for Oshkosh the Saturday before the show started, did you?"
"4BT, I WAS controlling inbound traffic to KOSH this year, how'd you know?"
"The aloha! You had me rock my wings over Oshkosh!"
"Very cool!! Where are you from?"
"My fiance and I are from Orlando! Are you doing sun n' fun this year??"
"Skyhawk 38Delta contact Jacksonville tower blablabla point bla....4BT, I SURE AM!"

anyways, long story short, I'm the first pilot to recognise him from KOSH and ask if it was him, and now we have an email correspondence going. He's going to take me up in the tower at Sun n fun and give me and my fiance a behind the flightline tour.

Anyone flying over Jacksonville, listen for the "Aloha" and say hi to Bob.
>>
>>924916
I was hoping for a better story.

>I ran into a guy I met in Oshkosh flying out of Jacksonville, it was pretty neat

I appreciate succinct communication both inside and out of a cockpit.
>>
>>924919
>meanwhile student pilot in the pattern is wondering if its okay to turn base.
>>
>>924919
You're just jealous I'm friends with the controller who had me rock my wings over Oshkosh, Buzz Killington
>>
>>924922
It was a slow morning on approach frequency, and he was the really chatty one.

While I agree it's important to to know how to communicate quickly and clearly, there's nothing wrong with having regular conversations sometimes. When flying seaplanes I've had orlando approaching controllers ask me about fishing spots that I fly into... and try listening to Atlanta Center at about 2 o'clock in the morning it sounds more like barroom conversation sometimes than radio communication.
>>
>>924922
>>924923

As you can see, I take my buzzkilling very seriously. For example, do you know why WS Gilbert was frequently drunk on his transatlantic voyages?

Because he was quartered on the port side!

Now, who would like to hear a good story about a bridge?
>>
>>924924
I have nothing against having a chat on a slow-moving open channel, I just didn't see why he needed to reenact the entire conversation
>>
>>924927
>not him
because this is a slow board, and some of us like it!
>>
>>924929
But it was a lame story. I'm sorry, but if I tell a story it's usually interesting. Like that one time I caught the edge of a thunderstorm on my second solo. Even then, all that happened was I turned around and landed and had a giggle about it with my instructor.
>>
>>924931
Riveting.

Now it's someone else's turn to share with the class. I want to read stories.

This one time I flew along the Chicago skyline and I really had to pee. I peed in a jug and dumped it out the window into lake Michigan while I looked up at the Sears tower. Tee-hee.
>>
>>924924
I'm just teasing. I just love how student pilots can be great pilots but be absolutely terrible and/or terrified of the radio.
>>
>>924937

No, no, no! You need to make it more entertaining!

Henceforth you peed into a Super Soaker's reserve tank and did low passes making gun-runs on pedestrians.
>>
File: 1449677553814.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1449677553814.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>
Also, for whatever reason I was in a cranky, shitposty mood last night, and I apologize, Mr. Jacksonville-Oshkosh Guy
>>
>>924822
I known that it wasn't the best one, but of course it's beautiful
Thanks to everyone for the pics
>>
>>924916
That's pretty cool lol.

Me and my dad were up in our PA-34 one day on our way home (airport community.) Controller asked how it is out there. We told him to come see for himself. Now have an ATC buddy.
>>
File: 20160123_180033.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160123_180033.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>924822
>p-51 was the greatest aircraft of WWII

I don't know who think that.
Everyone knows that the c-47 was the greatest aircraft of WWII and of all time.
>>
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 625x417
>>925075
"Greatest aircraft" is a relative term. Great at what? Fighter, bomber, troop carrier, reconnaissance?

The C47 was a really cool plane though. Really glad they still have DC-3s flying regularly up in Alaska for bush operations
>>
6 hours in guys. After today, we've gone over all the manuevers that I'll need to perform. Now it's just a matter of practicing and getting them all down for pretty much the rest of the semester. I get really nervous and flustered when she asks me a question and I don't know on the fly, and when I don't know how to reply to ATC midflight. Pls tell me this is normal. Cause I start freaking out after flights and I start feeling like I'm never gonna make it.
>>
>>925093
Hehe it's normal, don't worry. Instructors are trying to either reinforce knowledge or lead you to an answer when they ask a question on the spot. If you say something stupid, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that your process of thought needs a bit of correction, or you need to study something more. You said the stupid thing for a reason, and it's the instructor's job to figure out why and correct it. Now, if you say something completely retarded, then you're gonna get some much-deserved shit for it. When it comes down to ATC, every pilot was shit on the radios at some point. ATC is just looking for some specific things, that's all. Just figure out what they want and give it to them.
>>
I've been feeling lost in my career choice, and a STRONG test as well as a Meyers Briggs listed military pilot as a good option. Does anyone here have experience with military piloting?
>>
>>921200
Hahaha i remember my first ten hours in a panzer destroyer helo (4 tow missiles) with no no armor in the early nineties.

Puke, puke and then some more puke :D, helo looping is not good for the stomach (AF1 and AF2 rulez, wing and sword units).
>>
File: 20160120_174756.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160120_174756.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>925080
The aircraft that made the most difference.
Churchill said it himself.
The c-47 was one of the 5 things that lead to the allied victory. That without, the war would have been lost. Or something along those lines.

Also, Bush Air Cargo is the worst DC-3 operation in the US. His airplanes sat for a couple years WITHOUT gust-locks. So the rudder brackets and torque tube are totally fucked. That guy has pencil whipped all the repairs and maintenance for both his beat up, UNAIRWORTHY DC-3s. And since he screwed just about everyone in Alaska, he can't do business up there and has to sell everything. Both his planes are for sale on trade-a-plane, and they cannot be sold separately because of the shitty paperwork he got himself into.
I know all this because he screwed a friend of mine out of $10k in parts.
>>
>>925126
Lol I didn't mean Bush Air specifically, I just grabbed a picture from Google. My point is that I enjoy seeing these DC-3s still doing the job they were designed to do so well 70 years later. It's a damn shame some of these operators neglect them; they are such great aircraft
>>
>>925080
Google "Basler Turbo conversions"
>>
File: cit07_srx_dc-3.jpg (2 MB, 3585x2137) Image search: [Google]
cit07_srx_dc-3.jpg
2 MB, 3585x2137
>>925174
I've seen their turbine DC-3 conversion. Its pretty incredible, the work and care into rebuilding old DC-3s into essentially a brand new aircraft. It is an awesome aircraft, but to me, the radials are an integral part of the DC-3. Both are great, but I know which one I'd prefer, even if it is dated
>>
File: 20150929_173728-1.jpg (3 MB, 2925x1709) Image search: [Google]
20150929_173728-1.jpg
3 MB, 2925x1709
>>925174
>>925180

Basler does a good job with turbo 3s. But they are pretty much hated by the recip Dc-3 community.
They go around buying up all the small caches of parts around the states. And resell them for a stupid high price.
And when you call them wanting to order a part, they never call you back because you're not a real customer unless you have a BT-67.
They make it really hard for non-profit dc-3 organizations to keep running.

>>925180
I do some contract work for the Flagship Detroit every now and then.
I've laid down where that guy is, holding on to the carb intake, looking down at the cylinders trying to find an oil leak with the engine running.
It felt like Flight of the Phoenix.
>>
>>925080
I'd call the DC-3/C-47 up there, just for sheer longevity

>>925174
Someone's making turboprop DC-3s?
>>
File: SuperDc3Nellis09.jpg (112 KB, 980x705) Image search: [Google]
SuperDc3Nellis09.jpg
112 KB, 980x705
>>925230
Apparently they do. Well, I'll be damned.
>>
>>925102
No direct experience, but can impart the basics to you.

Basics of landing that job I should say.
>>
>>925102
Well, I have a WO packet in with the National Guard, but no hands-on time with their choppers, for what that's worth.
>>
Helicopter crash in Hawaii.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-helicopter-hard-landing-water-pearl-harbor/

I think the transmission shit it self.
>>
File: heloi.jpg (866 KB, 1476x718) Image search: [Google]
heloi.jpg
866 KB, 1476x718
>>925317
but more importantly,, the Captcrapedit.,
,auto rotate,,, you only get ONE SHOT!,
,,,, sorta like power brakes,, works GUD, 1 Time!, then air.
,, looks like 40 feets toshort!, erybody will be Fine.
>>
File: IMG_0553.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0553.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
hard at work at aviation colleg.....
>>
>>925317
I'm going with settling with power, it looked like he was coming in for a landing, or maybe an OGE hover, and didn't control his sinkrate, and the wind did the rest.
>>
>>925358
You can see his tail rotor stopped while the main rotor kept spinning.
>>
>>924730
Jokes on you, a fiery airframe coffin is what I want to be buried in.
>>
>>925328
All I do in aviation college is make half-assed powerpoint presentations that get me A- scores
>>
>>925403
You must be an AIM student.
Good luck on never getting a good job.
>>
>>925411
I have no idea waht "AIM" even stands for
>>
>>925093
>>925100
was dreading the flight yesterday and the morning of, but man I had such a better time today. I managed to make my calls, I knew what my instructor was talking about, and I didn't fuck up my taxiing very much this time. We also did my first landings today. I knew it was going to be hard, but this is way harder than I thought. But I definitely think I'll love the challenge of it.
>>
>>925655
You flying out of a class D? Not sure what else there would be to mess up while taxiing.

Glad to hear you like it anon, keep it up.
>>
>>925655
Landings will become very natural in time. They will become more precise and smoother with a bit of practice, I assure you. Keep it up man
>>
I tell ya what's crazy, I heard a guy contact Boston Approach about a giant fire somewhere in New Hampshire today, and thought nothing of it, as people have trash-burns and bonfires all the time. Later on, I see on the news that a three-alarm fire ripped through a Manchester suburb today and absolutely annihilated someone's house. I had a real-time update feed on an emergency and didn't even know it.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/firefighters-battling-large-fire-in-new-hampshire/38115270
>>
What's the difference between flaps and ailerons?
>>
>>926218
Flaps are on the inner part of the wing, and provide increased drag and increased lift by effectively changing the camber of the wing.

Ailerons are on the outer part of the wing and provide differential lift to control the aircraft's roll.
>>
>>925919
Class C. I usually go too fast haha my instructor always reminds me to slow down.

>>925931
Yeah, I'm a little nervous to do landings with strong winds. That day the winds were at like 20 and I was on edge. But thanks for the encouragement guys!
>>
>>926242
As they say, work quickly but don't rush
>>
>>926242
That's just an rpm setting issue. (the taxi thing)
>>
>>926242
It's all about the direction of the wind. Landing in a 20 knot winds that's blowing right down the runway is easy peasy, and is usually softer than a zero wind landing. Twenty knot crosswind not so much.
>>
File: IMG_8952.jpg (339 KB, 1650x1100) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8952.jpg
339 KB, 1650x1100
>>
>>926743
That Florida?
>>
File: IMG_9124 - Copy.jpg (426 KB, 1650x1100) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9124 - Copy.jpg
426 KB, 1650x1100
>>926743
>>
File: IMG_8653 - Copy.jpg (188 KB, 1650x1100) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8653 - Copy.jpg
188 KB, 1650x1100
>>926743
>>926749

>>926746
Nah man, Victorian/South Australian Coastline.

Went for a little adventure to Mount Gambier from Melbourne recently.
>>
File: IMG_8971.jpg (331 KB, 1650x1100) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8971.jpg
331 KB, 1650x1100
>>926743
>>926749
>>926752

This one is Port Douglas. We drove there by rental car to see the sea cliffs and sinkholes/ponds, decent fish & chips.

Google 'Piccaninnie Ponds' to see what I mean, I jumped in Ewan Ponds to my agony and awe. Crystal clear and awfully cold water.
>>
File: IMG_8906.jpg (700 KB, 1650x1100) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8906.jpg
700 KB, 1650x1100
A poor abandoned Conquest hiding at YMTG.
>>
So here's the deal

I'm in the UK
I want to technically be able to fly Cessna 172s (or similar craft, it's basically the most generic G/A plane example after all.) solo VFR

Here's my situation:
I understand a lot of the basics of aircraft (most of the instruments in a 172, if FS payware is anything to go by.) to the point where if forced, I could probably not kill myself if I had to land one in a fix (No comment on whether it'd ever fly again), I can probably elaborate on this more if needed. What I'm roughly getting at is 'how much extra stuff do you have to learn about weather, flight planning or what-have-you and how complex is it to get the simplest VFR-solo licence that allows me to meet this end because I'm a poor learner'
--Most importantly-- I'm a sperg diagnosed with depression but I'm not taking medication for it.

So, are my aspirations totally fucked, or can I theoretically get some kind of licence in the UK? Are the medical restrictions on depression in general, or just the side-effects of medication? If it can be confirmed that although depression is there, I have no interest in an overpriced suicide can I get through that? I'm going to assume Aspergers is less significant, but worth mentioning.

Bonus question: Assuming with the situation I've described above, it is possible to be licensed to operate a simple aircraft like a C-172, what's the furthest along licence-wise you could get in those circumstances? (Both in terms of aircraft category, or in terms of things it lets you do, like IFR, fly passengers for payment, etc.)

I'll probably never fly, but I'd like to know if I could.
>>
>>926831
There are different licenses and medical licenses available in the UK.
I haven;'t flown General aviation for a few years (UK airline pilot) so I might be a bit rusty but last time I remember the least restrictive license in terms of work was the national private pilots licence (NPPL). Now I'm not sure what that allows you to do, whether you can fly light aircraft (or homebuilt/ultralight) or whether you can fly passengers or not.

If you wanted a full private pilot licence, as long as you have the patience and money you could get a licence in terms of work, provided you were willing to work for it. I think there's a time limit from when you start/complete your first PPL written exam to finishing your last, IE if you do your first PPL written exam on 01/01/17 then you have X many days/weeks/months to complete the rest. Can't remember how many there are.

The tricky part is the medical. I'm not too clued up on the Class 2 medical which is probably what you'll want if you have no aspirations to fly commercially, since I've never had one myself. At least on the class 1 they ask have you ever commited suicide, do you suffer depression and what (if any) meds do you take.

As for your last question, it's up to you. If it was literally just a C172, you could fly it commercially if you found a place that flew them on sight seeing tours or did commercial work in the air, and you could get a night or instrument rating.
>>
>>926755
"Cold water" is highly subjective. Where I'm from if the ocean cracks 60 degrees F in temperature it's basically a giant hot tub
>>
File: ban-plastic-knives.jpg (54 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
ban-plastic-knives.jpg
54 KB, 500x667
>>926832
in the UK they ask have you ever commited suicide
like they're ever going to be able to prove it if you lied
>>
>>926914
>like they're ever going to be able to ask you if you had
>>
>>926896
Generally water in caves tends to be cold.
>>
File: IMG_8636 - Copy.jpg (679 KB, 1650x1100) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8636 - Copy.jpg
679 KB, 1650x1100
>>926896
Remember that it's Australia, our Ocean Surface Temps rarely fall below 19 deg Celcius. When you're used to 25C water and 36C+ days anything less than lukewarm comes as a shock.

I remember that photo from a previous thread, where are you from?
>>
>>926914
It's an ass covering exercise in case of legal ramifications.
If yo turned out to be like that german wings pilot who ended up steaming into a mountain, the medical examiner can turn around to the authorities and say that they asked the pilot whether he was suicidal. They would be cleared of any legal blowback
>>
>>926984
So if you're depressed but say you're not suicidal, and you're not on any treatment that'll fuck up your concentration etc, they'll just take your word for it that you're fine and let you fly a plane?
>>
>>926991
Pretty much. As part of my medical theres a checklist I have to tick on paper which indicates any health problems, and under the "psychological" section it's got a yes/no tickbox for have you ever tried to commit suicide or are you depressed.
Also the doctors need to know if you're on medication
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Also got blood over the slats, gear and flaps. A small bird that had a lot of blood.
>>
Help me nignogs. Looking for a good online ground school course.
I know of Kings and Sportys, does anyone have any experience with either?
>>
>>927057
Sportys is great, I highly recommend it.

King is effective but cheesy.
Shepherd, gleim, and others are good for rote memorization, but not good for initial Instruction in my humble opinion.
>>
So, ge/n/tlemen, I have a question: What can an FBO lineman expect to make for a starting salary? I've got an interview for a job as one later today, and I'd like a reference point to compare what they offer with other places
>>
>>926965
Northern New England, and usually it's fucking cold this time of year, like sub-zero temperatures during the night, but right now it's 50 degrees F, or I wanna say 13 Celsius, and raining. It's insane.
>>
>>927042
kek
the other day over here, a low-wing turboprop hit a coyote on take off.
Heard that it sprayed blood all over the windows.
>>
I'm getting tired of dealing with the headsets at my rental place; gonna buy my own.

What is a good brand for a decent price?
David Clark? Cobra?
Any model numbers you guys suggest for a good, but not too expensive mid range headset?
>>
>>927394
For the headset that won't break the bank, David Clarks are the best option. I've had mine for years and had no problems with them. They are passive noise canceling, so they won't be as quiet as Bose or Lightspeed, but personally, I don't want to pay $900 for a headset.
>>
>>927394

Cane Creek
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.