[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bike diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 887.jpg (255 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
887.jpg
255 KB, 1600x1067
lets talk about food.
what do you guys eat? how much money do you spend on food? do you eat during rides?

right now im worried cause at the moment im still living with my parents(who have nice moneys) and they are ok buying tons of food, but in a month im moving out and im poor, my work is relaxed but crappy payed.. and i eat a fucking ton. i know its related to biking.

per day i usually eat:
3 big meals
1 decent sandwich
2-3 bananas or other fruits
1 litre of milk
1-4 boiled eggs
note: when i say big meals i mean something like rice or pasta+ meat, sometimes also with beans and stuff like that and usually with salad.. size of the meal is big, way bigger than what most people eat.

i usually ride 3 times a week for 2.5 hours and 4-5 hours total during the weekend, plus some minor riding on the free days,lets say 30minutes (but fast). the other thing, im short and thin as fuck. ( 5'5, 58kg).

how much are you guys eating? any special diet? i dont eat anything on long rides(4 hours) but i drink a can of cola or a juice with sugar at some point... im noticing that i need to carry some food... picture is just amerifood. opinions on my crappy diet?
>>
>>924136
>>>/fit/
>>
Breakfast is either oatmeal on ride days, or some sort of egg dish on gym / rest days

At 11 I have a shake with spinach kale and banana

At 1:30 I eat lunch, usually quinoa with beans or something like that

At 3:30 I have some sort of shake with wheatgrass protein powder and a bunch of veggies

At 5:30 I have dinner which varies a lot but I'm vegetarian so usually tofu or beans with barley or quinoa. At least 3 days a week I eat salmon or tuna steak

At 8:30 every night I have 250mL of vanilla ice cream

At 9:00 every night I eat a large carrot.

This schedule is concrete and does not change.
>>
>>924141
Ah, and I feel I should answer your other questions, I drink LOTS of water on a daily basis, and this is the same on rides. And on longer rides I carry some sort of energy bar and eat it part way through after a few hours (I prefer vector bars)

I don't spend that much money on food, the only notable expenses are my fish, and shake stuff. Other than that it's largely bulk stuff and vegis.

I would say cut down on the milk, eat less fruit, and more vegis. But other than that your diet doesn't seem all that bad.
>>
>>924141
>>924143
thanks for the info, can i add 2 little questions?
how much do you usually ride? and do you get hungry or are you used to your diet and dont feel the need for more food? thanks man!
>>
Carbs before and during rides. No fat before or during a ride. Usually rice/potato before.

I take some fruit with me to eat.
>>
>>924143
>eat less fruit
Fucking dumb
>>
I saw this thread and was confused, thought I must have clicked on /ck/...

My standard diet is oatmeal for breakfast nearly everyday (with various things mixed in - banana, molasses, and peanut butter being the most common) and for dinner I'll generally make a vegetarian dish (think curries, stir-fries, soups - in a large batch if I don't expect to have much time to cook the next day or two) and eat it with homemade bread, chapatis, rice, or noodles. Work lunches are simple, usually leftovers from dinner the night before or a PB sandwich if for some reason there's nothing else on hand. I specify vegetarian because getting most of your protein from lentils, beans, and nuts is much, much cheaper than meat and fish, and supposed to be good for long-term health too.

I always eat well in advance of heading out on a ride, and if I'm planning something really long I'll carb load the night before. On the bike, I might carry a banana or a granola bar sometimes, but I really prefer to treat my distance rides as an excuse to try eateries/specialities in the towns I pass through, to me that's part of the fun of riding far from home.
>>
>>924136
>opinions on my crappy diet?
If you're racing, then you need to eat clean and keep track of what and how much you're eating so you don't end up fat and slow on race day. If you're not racing then eat whatever you want, it really doesn't matter, because you 'just ride'.
>>
ADDERALL
D
D
E
R
A
L
L
>>
You sound like you would make a cute trap. Post pics.
>>
am I the only 1 on /n/ who consumes an obscene amount of red meat and beer?
>>
>>924206
No we are here. It's just all the faggot hippy on /n/ aren't really worth discussing anything with. Beer for carbs and meat for protein.
>>
"Oatmeal" with berries for breakfast, full plate of whatever the lunch restaurant has at work, some snack after I get home, whatever I feel like cooking for dinner, some small snacks later on. I try to keep my cooking and snacks healthy but sometimes allow some degeneracy to myself.

Oatmeal in quotation marks since mine is just a plate full of oats and milk until it covers the oats. Soak for a minute, add whatever berries I have and enjoy. Breakfast of the champions right there.
>>
Poorfag here

Luckily where I live produce is ridiculously cheap, so I eat plenty of fruit all year round, mainly bananas, strawberries and peaches.

Other than that, my diet doesn't vary much: oatmeal, beans, rice, pasta and potatoes galore, whatever vegetable is on season, and red meat/fish only when I can afford it.

Goney is relatively cheap too so I add it to whatever I can

Milk is for faggots, there's plenty of cheaper and less poisonous calcium sources

And of course, lots of water.
>>
>>924214
>Goney
Honey*
>>
>>924210
I resent your homophobic slurs but thanks for the solidarity
>>
>>924217
Just as there are no women on the internet, everyone is a faggot on the internet. I hope you can wrap your head around this one day.
>>
If I don't eat during a ride I start to get low on energy about 2 hours 20 mins in. It also takes 40 to 50 minutes for anything I eat to kick in. So for rides beyond 2 hours I try to eat something every hour to keep my energy up. Waiting to eat until you start feeling weak means you will continue to feel like shit for upward of an hour.

One mistake I've frequently made on brevets in the past is not eating ahead of a meal stop. In a restaurant we sit around for a bit waiting for food to arrive, then take off as soon as we are done eating. So although I've just eaten a meal, the energy won't be available for a while. This year I'm going to try eating something before we stop for a meal so that energy is available when we get moving again.
>>
I have a pretty varied diet and don't really follow "health rules" as I prefer to cheat by supplementing protein. in the last week my eating has been as follows:

breakfasts:
>whey protein (every day upon waking, no matter what else)
>steel cut oats (usually, before riding)
>plus one or more of the following:
>scrambled eggs (at home)
>fried eggs (at home)
>palets bretons from the nice french place (after riding)
>croissants from the nice french place
>mini-brioche from the nice french place
>danish from the nice french place
>ham egg and cheese on a poppyseed roll from the greasy gross place
>and the above with absurd amounts of coffee in all types (snooty single-origin pourovers, crappy coffee with cream & sugar, and the occasional latte to fulfill my obligations as an out of touch liberal)

lunches:
>salad nicoise with a ham and cheese sandwich from the ok french place
>general tso's chicken from the gross chinese-american place
>a bacon cheeseburger with fries from the boring chain
>grilled wild salmon, braised kale, steamed whole grains, roasted squash, and a side of grilled tofu with harissa from the pasty beardy white people place
>a south indian veg thali from the indian business people place
>espresso (always no matter what else)

dinners:
>chicken breast with green peppercorns, rosemary, and lemon, broccoli rabe
>wagyu steak with balsamic, braised kale
>with either of the above, some kind of cannelini or chickpeas, sometimes with sage or rosemary, usually some kind of preserved pig meat
>generally some kind of small pasta with the legumes
>excessive amounts of wine always, I try to mix it up but piedmont reds get an unfair amount of attention from me

I commute 15 miles each way 5 days a week, and also lift obsessively, for mental health and vanity. Been eating more than I do in the summer because my winter tires take more effort to keep rolling. I could probably see more gainz if I cut the wine out of my diet but that is not an option. I would rather die.
>>
179cm, 71kg, 28y

i usually dont eat anything until lunch at 11:30. i eat a normal meal (meat, fish) with a lot of vegetables - usually no carbs. at lunch i eat a lot, so i feel stuffed until 5ish.

between 4-6 i usually always go for a quick ride. just playing around, wheele'ing, manualing, climbing the closest hill. 45 minutes.
besides that i usually ride 2-4 times a week for 2-3 hours. in the sommer more. because of my rather carb free food, i get tired easily when riding for more than 3 hours.

at 6 pm i eat the best thing ever:
500g low fat curb with 2 big spoons of honey, some milk and nuts of your choice. first i mix the curd with milk until its creally creamy, than add the other stuff. besides that i add some sort of fruit. ie grapefruit, grapes, honey melon.

the latter has something around 500-600 kcal depending on the amount of fruit, is super tasty (to me) and i eat it every day. usually i dont eat all of it.

if u want to reduce your weight you should try it. i started replacing my evening meal with it and lost 8kg in a few weaks.

when im planning longer mtb rides, i eat some carbs in advance.
>>
This winter I haven't commuted on bike, but I'll give you my on-season diet.

>Morning
Half a litre of oatmeal
few sandwiches with cheese and veggies
coffee
Sometimes an omelette

>Lunch
Something vegetarian or with fish that I can find. Big meal.

>Afternoon
I make something from beans, tofu, soy, fish, nuts, seeds, veggies, mushrooms, pasta, potatoes and sometimes rice. And I like it spicy.

>Before going to sleep
Couple of sandwiches
Youghurt with nuts and müsli
Fruits, mostly bananas or oranges

I don't eat homeothermic animals meat. I am very thin. I try to more, but I'm already spending like two hours per day eating and that's enough.
>>
>>924136
Related to biking, lol. No, you're just fucking spoiled. And I'm just fucking jealous.
>>
My ride diet:

> food carts (pizza, kebab, hot dogs, pretzels, tacos, chicken sandwiches)
> valium
> chill vibes
>>
>>924141
your vegetarian but you eat salmon or tuna steak three times a week

>fuck you
>>
>>924412
Why are carnists so obsessed with forcing everyone to eat as much CAFO shitmeat as possible?

We get it, you can afford a piece of cooked salted beef three times a day and that means you've Made It™

But some people are interested in the health and ethics of eating, not just using it as a medium to demonstrate that they are no longer [sic] poor.
>>
>>924466
durianrider fuck off
>>
File: 1331524407492.jpg (80 KB, 443x388) Image search: [Google]
1331524407492.jpg
80 KB, 443x388
>>924466
>carnists
>>
File: eat_fit_for_cheap.jpg (300 KB, 737x1600) Image search: [Google]
eat_fit_for_cheap.jpg
300 KB, 737x1600
>>924136
>>
>>924136
According to a medicine student friend of mine, it's only worth eating during a ride/exercise if you pass 40minutes worth of work.

A lot of nutrition for exercise is only relevant if you're pushing the limits of your achievement like a professional athlete. For instance, those isotonic energy drinks like lucozade or Powerade, while providing benefits for athletes who dehydrate themselves and expend a lot of energy quickly, for an amateur there is too much carbs/sugars (thus making you gain weight) and you don't lose enough water to warrant isotonics over regular water.

I've found that I do need an energy boost on long rides. After an oaty biscuit (too cheap to afford flapjack) or two, and a pause to digest them, I'm ready to go again.
>>
>>924136
I bike every day and I eat about a third of that. But that might be because I'm poor
>>
Heavy British fruit cake is amazing for a long ride. It gets through your stomach relatively quickly and has a full lunch worth of calories meaning you can be back on the road within 10 minutes.
>>
>>924548
>i don't even ride
>>
>>924519
wow. what a shitty fucking diet. fuck off.
>>
>>924552
Typical conversation on /n/:

>Anon A: you don't need {popular thing}, no one needs {popular thing} because it's bullshit
>Anon B: some people might, for instance what if you do {reasonable common thing}, they would find it useful
>Anon A: ha ha wtf fuck off poser, you really expect me to believe you do {reasonable common thing}? like that's supposed to impress me? {reasonable common thing} is beneath me but even if it wasn't, you're too much of a casual for that. I can hit about 40 mph with a 53x11 on the flats with my road bike. I can hold this for a few miles before I burn out. I always end up running out of gearing with a 46t when in route to the trails.. I understand you think you are some eilte rider that 'knows' everything about biking but I think you are just weak as fuck.
>>
>>924557
p. good, but you forgot the "breaking the crank arn" bit; 7/8
>>
>>924141
>This schedule is concrete and does not change.
I bet your poop is, too.
>>
>>924566
>only having enough wattz to break the crankarm
>has never exploded a wheel or snapped a frame with his sick torques
mang japan is working on njs2.0 cuz of when i broke a whole velodrome in half and i was only going at 3/10 power
>>
File: 1455669593560.jpg (168 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
1455669593560.jpg
168 KB, 1080x720
>>924579
>>
>>924549
how hard do you ride?
not tryin to test you, for real im interested in how much food vs riding i do compared to other people, also post your height, weight (aprox)
>>
Most of my nutrition comes from lentils, spinach and milk. Carrots and apples are nice. I buy legumes and cereals in bulk, as well as olives (not very good for blood pressure I suspect). Used to eat a lot of eggs but cut it down after personally witnessing the life of a person with a fucked liver. Been getting into mushrooms and fermented stuff lately, it's really nice to see food transform in real time and realize what a load of bullshit we're told about food spoiling. Mostly try to keep things simple and rely on eating high volume to keep up with the calorie usage.
I drink a lot of water. Also beer, wine. Sometimes whiskey.

sage though 2bh
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.