[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shit Cities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 14
File: münster.jpg (501 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
münster.jpg
501 KB, 2048x1365
Post cities which are really bad transportation-wise, and tell us why. Pic related, it's Münster, Westfalia, Germany.

Pros
>great for cars
>great for cyclists
>flat
Cons
>so many fucking bicycles clogging up everything else
>central train station is currently being rebuilt, forcing people to walk 10 minutes from the main entrance to the trains
And worst of all
>no tram/light rail/rapid transit system
>buses take fucking ages to cross the city, are always crowded as fuck, even on Sunday mornings, and the rides are bumpy and zigzag through the pedestrian zones
>>
File: Downtown_LA_Skyscrapers.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Downtown_LA_Skyscrapers.jpg
275 KB, 1920x1080
>
>>
>>915482
Yessir, the bus system is shit. The drivers all seem to run on their own schedules, and the routes are too short for certain areas.
Light rail is meh.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 480x274) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 480x274
>>915200
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Pros:
> walking/biking friendly
>multimodal infrastructure
> dense compared to surrounding region
> city has fostered a strong streetcar network historically
> community support for better transit
> train line to surrounding region and Washington DC

Cons:
> disjointed, unconnected transportation network
> poor, unreliable bus network
> unfulfilled subway system
> poor fare collection
> lack of will to build into politically influential neighborhoods
> transportation system fails to connect economically important areas and job centers to one another
> Governor is anti transit and has cut a key LRT project

I'm sure there are other reasons I can think of, but these stuck out
>>
File: sHmUsCF.jpg (990 KB, 3074x2002) Image search: [Google]
sHmUsCF.jpg
990 KB, 3074x2002
Save me guys
>>
>>915515
ayyyy lmaoo

>2 subway lines and a streetcar with separate ROW
can't make this shit up etc etc...
>>
File: Mississausage.gif (2 MB, 650x425) Image search: [Google]
Mississausage.gif
2 MB, 650x425
>>915515
Okay then.
>>
File: wojak_guntohead.jpg (14 KB, 385x387) Image search: [Google]
wojak_guntohead.jpg
14 KB, 385x387
>>915523
>tfw I live here
>go by this every day
just end it all now senpai
>>
>>915522
man I really don't get people's problem with the TTC, like what do people want it to do? the busses collect from major residential areas and feed into well designed subway stations that can take you to business areas.

I've lived out by finch & DVP and I could get anywhere without any trouble. Everytime I visit taking transpo is always better than driving and that's how it should be.

The system could probably service the cities outer schools better but they trying, ford just knocked that shit back a few years.

>>915525
>>915523
what if there was a whole city where everything was either a suburban neighborhood or a scetchy business park?
>>
>>915200
Phoenix, Arizona has always been bad. Bus times are very loosely scheduled and the bus drivers went on strike for most of a week recently.
>>
>>915523
>Mississauga
Slightly jealous, Markham here lads
Save me first
>>
Houston, Dallas
No Commuter rail
At all
No Metro rail
At all
No Regional/Interurban rail
At all
>>
>>915574
See, this is why you need zoning laws Houston.

Even fucking Somalia has better urban planning.
>>
>>915574
Dallas isn't that bad and Houston could be much worse and is only getting better. But otherwise I would agree the car cuckoldry is worrying and the fact there is no proper intercity rail in Texas also stings (inb4 muh privately owned shinkansen muhhfuckkka)
>>
File: situace Brno.png (211 KB, 422x674) Image search: [Google]
situace Brno.png
211 KB, 422x674
I live in Brno, Czech Republic. The traffic here is over all good especially public transport is vast and reliable. But the is this 1 mile strip of road where highway narrowing down to single carriageway road with pedestrian crossings on it! There are regular traffic jams for most of the day when thought the other parts of the city are passable without any problems. It has been this way for some 20 years now. Turns up they didn´t want to upgrade the road because of some few salamanders living living in river new to the road who might be affected by the constructions. So thousands of people are stucked in traffic every day because of few lizards.
>>
File: map-miami-aqua-tours[1].jpg (2 MB, 1200x704) Image search: [Google]
map-miami-aqua-tours[1].jpg
2 MB, 1200x704
100 years since they ripped up the streetcar that connected Miami to Miami Beach there is still nothing connecting it. Thousands of tourists a day have to cross the bay and the only option are shitty crowded buses.
>>
>>915513
Fellow Baltimorean here. I rely on public transit exclusively and I contemplate suicide every time I pay 68 bucks for my monthly pass. I hope whoever designed the subway and light rail routes is dying a slow painful death of cancer.
>>
>>915610
>>915200

If you post a European city in this thread you have no idea how bad it can be. Go anywhere in the Southeast United States to see true transportation hell on earth.
>>
>>915610
>The traffic here is over all good
>Spending 6 hours in a traffic jam near Olympia
>>
>manila
>>
File: MRT-2-660x438-crash.jpg (102 KB, 660x438) Image search: [Google]
MRT-2-660x438-crash.jpg
102 KB, 660x438
>>915716
>literally risking your life and limbs
>>
>>915562
>what if there was a whole city where everything was either a suburban neighborhood or a scetchy business park?
Post-war planning practices that encouraged single use developments leading to the construction suburban developments and "tower in the park" style office developments.
>>
>>915574
>No Commuter rail
>http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html
>https://www.dcta.net/
>>
File: pic_by_jasonzed.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pic_by_jasonzed.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>915523
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

Cons.
>Typical suburban hell, except it’s massive. Population of 700 000, largest suburb in the English speaking world. Our neighbours are also giant suburban blobs too.
>Everyone owns a car, and they’re shit at driving (as with everyone else in the GTA). Many roads are six lanes wide and congested.
>The city is pretty much broke. If the province didn’t fund the LRT, it would have been scrapped. On top of that, our infrastructure is (going to) shit and it needs fixing. And yet, people want a subway down Dundas or Hurontario (instead of an LRT).
>From an urban planning point: The city council plans to make Mississauga “hip” so people won’t flee over to Toronto to party. They still approve towers-in-a-park-esque development, or condos with god awful podiums.
>Cycling infrastructure is dismal. A few bike lanes, multi-use trails, and sharrows. Even then, people will still bike on the sidewalk.
Meh.
> The only neighbourhoods that are walkable and somewhat interesting are City Centre and the former towns such as Port Credit or Streetsville. Other than that, houses are all cookie cutters.
>Bus service is mediocre at best. (I personally don’t mind it.) It’s not uncommon to wait 40 minutes for a bus. The latest it runs is 2am during the weekdays, but most routes are done by 11pm or midnight. Express buses aren’t bad, but there’s no service on Sundays, except for 110 University Express and 502 Züm Main.
>No “real” rapid transit (yet). There’s a BRT but that’s built next to a highway/hydro corridor (no one uses Cawthra Station). It’s quite fast, but it’s indirect going to the subway. Also, there’s no Sunday service. Commuter rail is decent.
Pros.
>Nothing really. It’s quiet and Colonel Sanders once lived here, that’s cool, I guess.
>>
>>915747
I'm moving out of this place as soon as I'm done school and have any kind of savings
>>
>>915747
>The city is pretty much broke
No it isn't. Just because the city administation fetishes the zero debt Hazel years doesn't mean the city is broke. If the council had the balls to adjust property taxes then they could start rebuilding their infrastructure.
>>
>>915571
Is that a terrorist from CS?
>>
>>915747
At least youre not in York region
>Exactly the same suburb problems
>No rails or anything, just YRT and Viva
>YRT fares climbing to an astronomical $4 for one zone ($5 for two zones but no one ever actually goes up to Aurora/Newmarket)
>It used to be $2 less than 5 years ago
>All of it to subsidize for $1bn Viva only bus lanes
>Bus lanes that claim to be faster because it bypasses most traffic but because they're adding new vivastations everywhere (at least on viva purple,) the ride actually takes slightly longer (I timed it)

I am willing to trade, at least Mississauga has comfy lakeshore walks
>>
>>915571
They went on strike despite being the highest paid drivers. Valley Metro needs to find someone else.
>>
>>915803
>comfy lakeshore walks
yeah... if you can afford houses >$1,000,000
>>
>>915814
The only fairly affordable housing here is in places like Cornell which are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Expensive af housing is pretty much GTA-wide I think
>>
>>915820
It's expensive af for any place that's not toal shit to live in
>>
>>915747
this city is incredibly bizarre, I've heard of it but I've never seen it before. why build skyscrapers when there's clearly an excess of undeveloped land? tall buildings like that in a business area always give off a cool "I'm in the big city now" type vibe, but it looks like you can walk half a mile and you'll be in model home, grid layout suburbia.

with that said, it looks like it would be a cool suburb to grow up in. I have to imagine there's both plenty of grassy lands and cul de sacs and whatnot but still plenty of places in the "downtown" area to get into trouble, and they appear to be in bike-riding/skateboarding distance of each other.
>>
>>915837
>it would be a cool suburb to grow up in
trust me, it's not, I grew up here, you can ask me about it if you like

>plenty of places in the "downtown" area to get into trouble, and they appear to be in bike-riding/skateboarding distance of each other.
This is absolutely not true.
>>
File: _maain.jpg (88 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
_maain.jpg
88 KB, 640x360
>>915837
>I've heard of it but I've never seen it before. why build skyscrapers when there's clearly an excess of undeveloped land
A real estate developer that had loads of land managed to create the 'downtown' area over a period of several decades.
The mall was the first thing to go up (pic related, that's the mall in 1973) then small office towers went up south of the mall. When the real estate boom started there was plenty of cheap land available for condo development next to retail anchor and it was relatively close to the waterfront (it's only about a few kilometres away from the older and denser district that parallels the waterfront). So while it looks weird it sort of makes sense if you take the history of the place into account. I imagine the parking lot will continue to shrink as the area continues to be built up.

This guy sort of explains the future of that area:
>http://squareonelife.com/downtown-21-mississauga/
>>
>>915562
>the busses collect from major residential areas and feed into well designed subway stations that can take you to business areas.

Exactly. No other city in NA has this kind of surface route/subway integration (with free transfers). The bus terminals at subway stations throughout the system make it super easy to go anywhere.

But that fucking Relief Line was needed 20 years ago and no one will build it because "downtown has enough subways"
>>
San Antonio
>Shit public transport (like every US city aside from a handful)
>Complete lack of bike lanes
>I guess decent for carfags
>>
>>915200
Oh shit!
I was in Ibbenburen in 2007-08 midwinter. I loved riding my bike around when I was there on school exchange. Rode to everything around the place on a bike that was way too small for me.

It's far better than Geelong, Victoria, Australia. In fact, everywhere in Australia is shit. Geelong takes the cake, despite it being a UCI race event location (Cadel Evan's Ride or something). The roads are terrible, the infrastructure is awful and people like to hit and runs. Police don't give a shit. That's just cycling around. Public transport is shit. The whole fucking city could do with a fucking metro rail system because everyone needs 1/4 acre block for themselves. Instead, there are about 3-4 private bus services that run late, don't pick up passengers when they should or leave the stop early.

The train network is shit and was only upgraded last year to help ease parking problems by increasing parking space at Marshall and then added a train stop in a part of town that has been there for probably 15 years. Currently, this is the train situation in geelong now as well as the rest of the state.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/boom-gate-safety-issues-with-vline-vlocity-trains-known-for-more-than-two-years-20160119-gm9lkj.html

Also we have that crazy mayor guy that tries to play up geelong as a great place to go.
>>
Barcelona reporting.

Pros:
>Large, dense subway system
>buses go everywhere and many lines have good frequency
>2nd gen tram system in some parts of the city with bad subway coverage

Cons:
>subway is slow, and most transfers are shit. Awkward trips can be slower than by bike, sometimes as slow as walking
>buses are almost always slower than bikes, many lines are often full to the brim
>bus network seems to be designed without taking into account that there's a subway
>tram system is unfinished and doesn't reach downtown
>>
>>915988
Ibbenbüren has one of the greatest music stores in the whole country. I didn't see anything else of the town though.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 600x411
>>915574
It's not great in Htown, but ever since they debuted the new Bus Network last year, there's been a 10% increase from January to November of 2015, which includes the consecutive months of a ridership loss.
>>
>>915200
Münster is only bad transportation-wise if you are:

a) not a student +
b) don't ride a bike

For me it was perfect when I studied there. Lived in the Kreuzstraße opposite the Cavete and everything was easy to reach via bike.
>>
Limassol/Cyprus in general
>No rail transport whatsoever
>Buses are from the 70s/80s, unreliable, severely limited routes
>No cycle lanes
>On most roads, especially in residential areas, pretty much no pavements at all
tl;dr: if you don't have a car don't expect to go anywhere in Cyprus
>>
>>915200
vugroom
>>
>>915574
Arlington,Texas. About 300,000 people in the DFW area. Outside of commuter trains and express bus to Ft. Worth no public transit.
>>
>>915513
Isn't that where those protests and riots occurred? The major con to that city is that it is soon to be overrun by ghoul hordes.
>>
>>915683
How do you keep yourself safe from criminals? It seems dangerous like New York was before Giuliani fixed it.
>>
File: 1435522401949.jpg (37 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1435522401949.jpg
37 KB, 960x960
>live in Sofia
>doing boxing so using a car or a bike right after leaving the ring is not the best idea
>on Tuesdays and Thursdays session ends at around 21:45
>bus that takes me home doesn't run that late
>bus that takes me kinda close to home is 30m between arrivals, at random times
>sometimes have to spend half an hour in the rain and cold waiting for the bus while sweaty and in pain
And don't get me started on jams.
>>
>>915515
>Toronto Islands
Jelly. So, so, jelly. How did you get a house here, you can't just buy one right? With a bike and a ferry pass your /n/ options are really not bad.
>>
>>920596
You have to be put on a waiting list.

http://torontoist.com/2009/08/how_to_buy_a_house_on_the_toronto_islands/
>>
>>915747
This.
When I lived in Toronto I wanted to visit a friend in mississauga.
Took me half a fucking day
>>
>>915905
>No other city in NA has this kind of surface route/subway integration (with free transfers).
Vancouver, NYC, Chicago, just to name a few.

TTC is horrific. Not only because Toronto is a sprawling mess but because the employees are assholes who hate their lives and everyone around them.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.