[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ex-Amish Truck Driver Destroys Historic Bridge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10
File: math is hard-01.jpg (231 KB, 962x722) Image search: [Google]
math is hard-01.jpg
231 KB, 962x722
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3377107/Mary-Lambright-s-truck-destroys-Old-Iron-Bridge-Paoli-Indiana-Christmas.html
9 December 2015

Ex-Amish truck driver destroys historic bridge by driving her 30-ton trailer across it - because she got her math wrong and didn't know she was FIVE TIMES over the weight limit

* Mary Lambright, 23, made the 1880 historic bridge collapse on Christmas Day inPaoli, Indiana
* Iron bridge had a weight limit of six tons - her vehicle and trailer weighed about 60,000 pounds - or 30 tons - at crash
* Lambright told police she didn't know how many pounds were in six tons
* No injuries,but the bridge collapsed under the weight and was destroyed

A historic iron bridge was destroyed when a 23-year woman drove her 30-ton trailer across it - because she got her math wrong and did not realize she was five times over the 6-ton weight limit.

Mary Lambright was attempting to haul a 53-foot box trailer containing 43,000 pounds of bottled water to a Walmart parking lot with her Volvo truck on Christmas Day inPaoli, Indiana.

She drove onto the iron 1880 structure and immediately hit the top of the bridge as her truck was too high. The structure then buckled the under the pressure and collapsed at around 12 noon.

cont.
>>
File: math is hard-02.jpg (262 KB, 962x722) Image search: [Google]
math is hard-02.jpg
262 KB, 962x722
>>910351

Lambright, of Fredericksburg, told police she knew the iron bridge had a weight limit of six tons and wasn't equipped for semis due to a sign that was posted, but said she didn't know how many pounds were in six tons.

Lambright and her 17-year-old cousin who was in the passenger seat managed to escape unharmed.
'She's a very inexperienced driver,' Paoli Police Chief Randy Sanders said of Lambright explaining that she had left the Amish order a year or so ago, reports Herald Times Online.

The Amish use nonmotorized modes of transportation so her experience could be limited to horse-and-buggy transportation.

Most Amish are not permitted to drive motor vehicles but are allowed to hire outsiders — known as 'English' — to drive them.

Sanders says Lambright, was an independent driver, hauling the bottled water in a leased truck from Penske for Louisville Logistics.

cont.
>>
File: math is hard-03.jpg (211 KB, 962x656) Image search: [Google]
math is hard-03.jpg
211 KB, 962x656
>>910352

According to police, Lambright was attempting to make a delivery at a Walmart when she missed a turning, reports WBIW.

She said she tried to turn around in a parking lot, but it was not possible because there was equipment in the way.

She told police she did not feel confident in backing up the truck so she then attempted to cross the iron bridge.

Lambright was traveling more than 30 miles per hour in order to get the vehicle stuck that far on the bridge, according to police.

Police cited her forreckless operation of a tractor-trailer, a class B misdemeanor; disregarding a traffic control device, a class B infraction; and overweight on posted bridge.

She could be fined for the infractions and Louisville Logistics could also face legal action.
Lambright received her Commercial Drivers License (CDL) endorsement in May.

cont.
>>
File: math is hard-04.jpg (211 KB, 962x722) Image search: [Google]
math is hard-04.jpg
211 KB, 962x722
>>910353

The French Lick Fire Department wrote on Facebook: 'Bridge collapse in Paoli with no injuries reported.
'What a sad day for the Old Iron Bridge located on South Gospel St.'

Although some Facebook commenters blamed the driver, many others blamed the school that certified her and the company that allowed her to get behind the wheel.

One person wrote: 'I would look into the trucking school or trucking company that sponsored her training.

'How do you go thru CDL school and get certified and not know the very basics of weight and/or the weight of even your empty truck and trailer which is still too heavy?'

FIN
>>
Cool story bro, but aut/o/ is that way -->

Also, /pol/ is that way <--
>>
>>910355
This is the epitome of transportation.

Nice thread OP.
>>
Residents of this town must be pissed.

Wonder if they will use the mangled metal to restore the bridge or not.
>>
>Lambright was traveling more than 30 miles per hour in order to get the vehicle stuck that far on the bridge, according to police.

More proof that trucking companies are desperate, apparently they're hiring retards now.
>>
>>910358
>Wonder if they will use the mangled metal to restore the bridge or not.

Probably not, it's from 1880 and not worth the cost to restore, when they can spend same amount of money (via the trucking co's insurance policy...) to get a modern bridge built.
>>
File: 654654654.jpg (72 KB, 649x487) Image search: [Google]
654654654.jpg
72 KB, 649x487
>>910359

I remember reading an article 10+ years back about a trucking school in Chicago that was busted for literally selling CDL licenses to anybody who could pay.

Apparently a couple of people were killed in separate accidents by drivers of this trucking school, who were fresh-off-the-boat immigrants and who had recieved absolutely zero training and had no fucking idea what they were doing.
>>
>>910359

here on the west coast thanks to AB60 you don't even need to be a US citizen to get a CDL anymore
>>
>America
>Historic bridge

nice meme
>>
>>910351
>daily fail
nice try op
>>
>>910358
I wouldn't be surprised if they're happy. Looks like the kind of crappy old small town bridge that state DOTs never bother to replace, even though they're no longer fit for purpose and are liable to collapse at any time. This forces the construction of a new, safer bridge.

>>910447
The Romans built fucking amazing bridges.
>>
>basic education for all is a communist elitist librul plot to make our kids gay
>also ROADS ROADS ROADS
This is the inevitable result of the cager mindset

Enjoy your destroyed infrastructure
>>
>>910478
Yeah, Indiana was a pretty cool place until the space lizards doomed it by taking their spaceships back from the Romans and cutting the colony off from the rest of the Empire.
>>
>>910351
Not sure what agenda you're trying to push here OP but thanks for autistically reposting the entire article with images.
>>
>>910354
>French Lick
Just ask da Bird to pay for its restoration.
>>
File: I-35W-Bridge-Collapse-2007.jpg (292 KB, 2000x1030) Image search: [Google]
I-35W-Bridge-Collapse-2007.jpg
292 KB, 2000x1030
>>910518
> Not sure what agenda you're trying to push here OP

The fuck?

> but thanks for autistically reposting the entire article with images.

Son, I was posting to Usenet when you were probably still in diapers. The proper way to start a discussion thread is to include the entire article, dated and with a link showing the source while including any appropriate pics, so that readers don’t have to go to another web site read it and as all the text is available right here in the thread, there is no confusion over what is being discussed.

Unfortunately, crapping out a link to who the fuck knows what, like a monkey flinging shit at the zoo has become all too common nowadays, as barely literate wet-behind-the-ears teenagers posting from their cell phones, can’t be bothered to have an actual discussion…
>>
>>910478
>Looks like the kind of crappy old small town bridge that state DOTs never bother to replace, even though they're no longer fit for purpose and are liable to collapse at any time. This forces the construction of a new, safer bridge.

>tfw Union Pacific routinely parks 3-4 GEs on 110 year old steel bridges uptown
>tfw rusty chunks of the bridges routinely rain down on pedestrians below
>tfw commuter trains use these bridges dozens of times per day
>>
File: Mackinaw Bridge.jpg (229 KB, 1349x904) Image search: [Google]
Mackinaw Bridge.jpg
229 KB, 1349x904
>>910536
> all bridges are the same
>>
>>910447
>amish
>walmart
>historic bridge
>1880
>>
>>910354
It looks like that truck's height doesn't even clear the bridge, let alone the weight.
>>
ITT:
Americans don't know American measurements or metric, and are fundamentally mentally handicapped due to their own choice.
>>
>>910518
Build a bridge.
You'll get over it.
Cunt.
>>
>>910620
>look guys, I made fun of the Americans!
Don't you get tired of shitposting?
>>
>>910630
>look faggots I have plans to a bridge that's been built since 1997
What the hell is your point you useless sack of shit?
>>
>>910692

I think it's cool, and relevant to the thread.

I guess newfags like you don't remember when posts like that were the whole point.
>>
>>910630

You an engineer? I know you have $$$ from your posts on /p/
>>
>>910536

>>tfw Union Pacific routinely parks 3-4 GEs on 110 year old steel bridges uptown
>>tfw rusty chunks of the bridges routinely rain down on pedestrians below
>>tfw commuter trains use these bridges dozens of times per day

it's the same up in SF with Caltrain, who only just now are replacing the original 1880s bridges SP built since they physically cannot handle 100 mph traffic
>>
>>910358
Why the fuck would they do that? They should build a decent bridge which doesn't collapse under a truck.
>>
>>910531
I remember this happening, like 7-8 years ago, apparently minnesota doesnt clean the bird poop from below their bridges and it collapsed.
>>
>>910531
>
> Sir, the bridge that is a main artery of our community collapsed!
> CLOSE THE BRIDGE RIGHT NEXT TO IT!
> But sir… that’s the only alternate route for bazillions of people and there’s nothing wrong with it?
> CLOSE IT ANYWAY!
>>
File: shutdowneverything.jpg (82 KB, 715x1114) Image search: [Google]
shutdowneverything.jpg
82 KB, 715x1114
>>910885
>>
>>910885
To be fair, the 10th ave bridge would've been clogged up with gawkers had it been open.

There were plenty of alternate routes.

/they had it lined with floodlights during the recovery.
>>
>>910681
Measurement illiteracy is a major problem in the states! It doesn't just delete historical bridges.

The insistence on difficult to reason systems (how many pounds in a ton?) or worse, dual systems is a big culprit.

The way out is all metric all the time, mostly because you'd have to re-educate everyone to address the problem in any case. Base 1000 and minimal conversion factors just make it easier to teach.
>>
>>911253
This almost happened in the ;ate'70s, but congress backed out at the last minute. A smattering of dual US/SI road signs can be found around my region.

Does anyone ever bitch about UK still using imperial gallons and stone btw
>>
File: 35.239 liters of apples.jpg (7 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
35.239 liters of apples.jpg
7 KB, 250x188
>>911253

This bridge collapse didn’t have anything to do with the system of weights & measures used in the U.S. The ding-bat broad driving the truck knew full well it was way heavier then the posted 6-ton limit, not to mention willfully ignoring the “NO FUCKING TRUCKS AT ALL!” sign right next to it….

She still would have collapsed the bridge like the dumbass she is, even if we used metrics.

>>911275

As a 48 year old, I can tell you were were learning the metric system back in 1st or 2nd grade, which would have been 1974/75.
>>
>>910478
http://www.wdrb.com/story/30903348/orange-co-officials-want-historic-bridge-repaired
>>
>A historic iron bridge was destroyed when a 23-year woman drove her 30-ton trailer across it - because she got her math wrong and did not realize she was five times over the 6-ton weight limit.
I think we all know which Brochure could have prevented this.

>>911394
>liter
Well you evidently didn't learn it very well. I recommend you take a refresher course on the SI Brochure.
>>
>1880
>Does anyone ever bitch about UK still using imperial gallons and stone btw

We'll switch to fully metric, it's only the old people that use imperial.
>>
>>912513
You really need to find another hobby
>>
>>910681
It's true though, Americans are really bad at measurement. In elementary school we used paper rulers printed off the computer that weren't even to scale.
>>
Is knowing basic maths and local measurement units part of the qualifications for a job like this?
>>
>>910697
trains don't count towards the total weight limit of a bridge, it's simple physics
because they're attached to rails, rather than simply sitting on the ground, the speed at which they travel basically makes them weightless over the arc of the bridge via centripetal force
note that this doesn't apply to a flat bridge, but you can see this effect for yourself. take a yoyo and spin it around its string, when it's on the top half of the arc, you can take the tension off the string and it won't move because there's no weight on it, similar to the train
>>
>>913265
nigger holy shit how many times did your mom drop you on your head as an infant
>>
>>912513
How many millimetres of cum have you showered onto your copy of the brochure from all your jerking off?
>>
>>913262
i got a 10" dick because of those paper rulers shit is cash

>>913263
no
>>
Indiana. I always knew everyone in my state was braindead... thanks for the confirmation.

It's really obvious when you nearly get clipped by a driver, chase them down and tell them they almost hit you and they say "wut?" and literally say the never saw you. Actually got hit in 2014 (was fine, crit skills literally saved me as I was pushed to the white line with my left leg pinned against my frame) and the driver said 100% seriously "I didn't see u"

Then again, this is probably just the general population of the world (::::::
>>
>>913397
>cyclist
Stay in your containment threads.
>>
>>913265
WHAAAAAAAT?!

I'm 10/10 trolled. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>913386
I believe you mean 25cm or 250mm.
>>
>>910351
kinda feel bad for her. I mean growing up Amish she probably doesn't understand much stuff about the real world.

>Most Amish are not permitted to drive motor vehicles but are allowed to hire outsiders — known as 'English' — to drive them.
Wtf that's such a lame loophole
>>
>>913722
>he's never had a jew ask him to press the elevator button
Must be bliss being you
>>
>>913399
WHy don't you off yourself you little bitch?
>>
>shitty bridge that should have been replaced years ago
>"historic"

Woman should be given a medal IMO, this is just about the only way to get the government to replace decaying infrastructure.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.