[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should boaters be required to be licensed? Many states already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: NavRulesBook2014.jpg (57 KB, 656x831) Image search: [Google]
NavRulesBook2014.jpg
57 KB, 656x831
Should boaters be required to be licensed?

Many states already have age restrictions, or PWC licensing. What are your thoughts?
>>
>>910301

No. I've been sailing all of my life and I believe there is something to be said for learning what you're doing, but no USPS or USCG course I've ever seen takes someone from green to skipper.

Can't say anything for masters licenses; I don't hear often of them having accidents and that's my concern.

But realistically if you have a Driver's license you can probably avoid killing yourself.
>>
>>910301
Some official instruction would be helpful, if you are mixing with larger vessels of any kind. I live near St Louis MO/USA and occasionally hear about somebody getting ticketed for trying to "wake jump" by running a rec boat too close to tugs pushing barges on the Mississippi river.

The link below is to a book on Amazon. Posting comical reviews became a fad at one point, but the reason that the guy wrote it is legit: he was a ship driver (or whatever) and saw again and again that people in small boats didn't understand how big ships maneuvered, or how much room they needed.

How To Avoid Huge Ships by John W. Trimmer
http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336

The used price is through the roof because it's out of print now apparently.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.