[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Brooks meme saddles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Brooks.jpg (38 KB, 636x445) Image search: [Google]
Brooks.jpg
38 KB, 636x445
Are Brooks meme saddles?
>>
They are amazing if you get the angle, height and setback exactly right. The short rails don't provide much adjustment range, so you might need a new seatpost to get it in the right spot. Then they start sagging and the sides flare out, which messes everything up. So you have to lace them, which most people don't.

Many people sit far too forward on them, particularly when they start sagging. If I were to buy another Brooks I'd go with one of the "Select" models which use extra thick leather.
>>
>>905859
I have a B17, a Pro, and a Swallow and they're all great, not memes at all.

>>905860
I wish the rails were a bit longer, too. I have one of my seatposts in backwards because of this. Not worried about seatpost failure because it's an old Sakae that's so overbuilt it could be used as a mace in case I ever need to stave in the heads of invading Saracens. When they start sagging, turn the adjustment bolt a bit. Lacing them is a good idea if the bolt isn't good enough.

Angle is pretty easy for me. I use a level to make the part that my bum rests on level with the ground, and adjust it a little from there. Most decently-adjusted Brooks have their nose up in the air, like a proper English twat.
>>
Yes. They are shit. The only people that like them are people that have never ridden with a good saddle.
>>
>>905859
>Wildly popular saddle choice for over 100 years
>Meme
Do fuck off, OP. Please and thank you.
>>
No comparison. I have B17 on my road and folding bikes, champion flyer sprung B17 on my touring MTB. I just did a 100+ mile ride wearing nothing on my ass but running shorts and merino boxers, my ass was the only part of me which wasn't sore afterwards.

>>905875

I find that having the nose almost level and the rear flare up some works for me, especially on the drops.
>>
This thread wildly abuses the term "meme" but yes they are a meme in the sense that they're recently more popular and they're selling some idealized lifestyle of cycling in the English countryside. They're good touring saddles but shit racing saddles and a bitch to lock up in high theft areas. Get a saddle that fits your sit bones and riding position and it'll do wonders for your comfort - much more than blindly buying a Brooks saddle.
>>
I tell you what's a meme: pretending that a plastic plank is comfortable to sit on, then padding the fuck out of your ass with chamois knicks.
>>
File: Lineair.jpg (102 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Lineair.jpg
102 KB, 800x600
I skipped saddles long ago, never regretted it.
>>
File: GS17_Honey_b_large.jpg (43 KB, 440x480) Image search: [Google]
GS17_Honey_b_large.jpg
43 KB, 440x480
They are not a meme but the quality has undergone a SEVERE decline.

I would advise buying Taiwanese Gyes knockoffs which are now better quality than modern Brooks and cheaper.
>>
>>907597
>quality has undergone a SEVERE decline

No it hasn't. I bought a new Brooks last year and it's no different to the saddle I bought ten years ago. They are also still better quality than other knockoffs like VO.
>>
>>907599
I'm old by 4chan standards. I mean modern Brooks saddles as compared to Brooks saddles from before the Selle royal buyout.
>>
>>907600

Fuck off dickhead, still better quality than 90% of the ching-chong plastic shit saddles.
>>
>>907600
Could that also mean it takes 2 decades for it to break-in ?
>>
>>907602
>Gyes
>ching-chong plastic shit

Just like Shimano right?
>>
>>907606

What does shitmano have to do with a saddle discussion? Just go fuck yourself cunt.
>>
Yes.
>>
File: 1449221796689.png (485 KB, 1080x804) Image search: [Google]
1449221796689.png
485 KB, 1080x804
No

But you a severely autisic faggot OP
and a simplistic parroting raging cunt
>>
>>905925
This, honestly
>>
If plastic saddles are so good, why does everyone where an ass chamois? looks like moving the comfort from the saddle to the pants.
>>
>>910070
Which is wear it belongs.
>>
>>910070
It has more to do with stitching than padding.
>>
>>905957
McDonalds of cycling?
>>
File: 1440416740778.png (226 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1440416740778.png
226 KB, 4500x4334
>>905994
>tfw live in an English village and cycle in the English countryside whenever I cycle

Feels good desu
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.