[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just posting some bikes from an event I went to. End blog post.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 17
File: CTteyRRUsAA2AYz.jpg (141 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
CTteyRRUsAA2AYz.jpg
141 KB, 1024x1024
Just posting some bikes from an event I went to.

End blog post.
>>
File: ibis.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
ibis.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
1987 Ibis Mountain Trial

This 1987 Ibis Mountain Trials was completely handmade by the Ibis design team, making it a rare cycling artifact and a testament to the company's craft.

Ibis cycles began in 1981 under the direction of Scot Nicol. After taking an early interest in mountain biking. Nicol found many mountain bikes too bulky and awkward and decided to design a more nimble bike. Interviewers and Ibis enthusiasts in the 1980s found Nicol to be a conscientious and meticulous designer, customizing each bike per request and personally investigating problems. Also known for his humor, Nicol desi9gned an unusual brake lever support that resembled a closed fist. Shorter and lighter than many other mountain bikes of the era. Nicol named the bike company "Ibis" after the graceful bird of Egypt.
>>
>>898377
> an unusual brake lever support that resembled a closed fist.
What, are you sure you don't mean cable stop or something?
>>
File: nukeproof.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
nukeproof.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
1997 NukeProof Mountain Bike

NukeProof originated from a group of passionate bikers and mechanics in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The experienced team created dependable bikes that advanced design along with the emerging needs of mountain bikers.

The 1997 NukeProof Mountain Bike has an unusual front suspension fork setup. Its shock absorber resides inside its head-tube and is connected by a double Parallelogram Linkage System. The structure of this bike lends itself to zero stiction and true travel.

The company continues to innovate to this day, as NukeProof won the 2015 Design and Innovation Awards for their newly engineered bike pedal, the Electron Evo.
>>
>>898378

Yeah that's what it actually is. Mind you I didn't write any of the descriptions.
>>
File: proflex.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
proflex.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
1995 ProFlex 755 Mountain Bike

Inventor of the ProFlex Mountain Bike, Bob Gavin, was a former aerospace engineer whose company created the world's first mass-produced full-suspension bike. The full-suspension craze quickly caught on and was adopted by other bike companies.

The 1995 ProFlex 755 is an embodiment of the evolution of mountain bike racing in the mid-19902. In the first half of the decade, racers would typically use a front suspension fork without having a suspension component on the back. This bike, however, showcases a full-suspension system, complete with elastomer compression cushioning systems in the front and back. This unique shock system compresses the synthetic rubbery material, absorbing the brunt of the force to keep the rider's hands on the bars and wheels on the ground.
>>
These are cool OP, thanks for posting and I hope you have more...
>>
File: yeti.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
yeti.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
1991 Yeti ProFro

Growing up as a troubled youth in Southern California, Yeti founder John Parker honed his skills as a fabricator and welder in juvenile halls and reform school. He went on to work in Hollywood as a welder and set builder, fine tuning his engineering and design abilities, while keeping an eye on the burgeoning community of competitive mountain biking.

Recognizable for its single tube rear triangle and teal color scheme, riders typically note the quality handling and strength of Yeti bikes. The design of the Pro FRO, or Professional For Racing Only, emphasized simplicity, forgoing racks and other "braze-ons" that might compromise racing speed and agility. Paker and company also spearheaded the move to computer fabrication, allowing for design enhancements to further increase strength and durability.
>>
File: salsa.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
salsa.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
1988 Salsa Mountain Bike

This 1988 Salsa was handmade by legendary bike designer Ross Schaffer in the early days of the company. Schaffer's legacy as a designer and craftsman can be seen in the attention to detail in this meticulously handcrafted mountain bike.

After a year at Santana Cycles, Schaffer went out on his own to create Salsa Cycles, which launched with a lineup of six custom built bikes complete with personalizable seat angles and the 71-degree head angle that remains a signature Schaffer design to this day. Early Salsa designs were distinct in their geometry, landing on a middle ground between the steepness of modern road bikes and the slack angles found in contemporary mountain bikes of the time. Schaffer's other notable innovations were the roller cable guide and chromoly handlebars, both seen on the 1987 Ibis Mountain Trials.
>>
Really digging these old suspensions. Good thread OP. Post more if possible
>>
Thanks for posting. What was the event/location of this collection?
>>
File: vitus.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
vitus.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
1986 Vitus

French frame manufacture Vitus began producing their own bikes in the 1970s. Out of their efforts emerged the Vitus 979, an instant classic, with a lugged and bonded aluminum frame, a manufacturing approach not widely being used at the time. This modular mode of construction was quite a different approach than the industry standard of welding.

The aluminum's light weight, paired with the heat-induced bonding system created a striking look that could still perform. Irish racing champion Sean Kelly would prove this upon winning the Pace-Nice race seven times in a row from 1982 to 1989, all while riding a Vitus 979.
>>
>>898388

I really wish there were a few more mountain bikes of that era, but that's all there was.

>>898389
Kaneko was the place hosting the event I attended so all the bikes/cars had nothing to do with what was being presented.
>>
This can be 80/90s mtb thread. Just posting the rest of the photos I took.
>>
File: paramount.jpg (984 KB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
paramount.jpg
984 KB, 4128x2322
1963 Schwinn Paramount.
>>
File: ebike.jpg (1 MB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
ebike.jpg
1 MB, 2322x4128
>>
File: bike.jpg (1 MB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
1 MB, 2322x4128
>>
File: DSC_1409e.jpg (614 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1409e.jpg
614 KB, 1152x768
>>898390
VITUS
I
T
U
S

>honestly I have no idea how anybody during the era could withstand having their teeth rattled out while racing on these things
>>
File: project.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
project.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
Posting my 80/90s bike then I'm done.
>>
File: 20150827_124940.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150827_124940.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
>>898396

How long have you had your Vitus?
>>
File: pos.jpg (3 MB, 3930x2612) Image search: [Google]
pos.jpg
3 MB, 3930x2612
>>
>>898400
A few years now. I originally built it with the intention of going 90s Athena, but then I learned about Campy tax. RIP. I've been recently thinking about an integrated shifting upgrade, but figure with the money, I'd rather put it into a modern frame that could take fenders and racks.

>tfw damaged a NR headset because I didn't have the lock nut tightened down
>tfw don't want to get a new headset because I know the stack height will be different
>tfw a replacement NR headset would be stupid expensive
Fucking campy tax
>>
ARE YOU IN OMAHA, OP?

I also went to that exhibit. I thought it was pretty cool. but i wish there was a little less space devoted to bmx/cruiser bikes, even though they look pretty neato
>>
>>898402
Do you have any more shots of it?

I'd like to switch away from downtube on the Ace, but I feel like I'll get too invested on something I just plan on flipping.

>ovaltech

>>898403
I'm from Lincoln. Yeah that whole wall was blocked off with tables with food. I didn't take any photos of them since I wasn't all that interested. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
>>
>>898404
Huh, there weren't any tables for food or anything when i went, but it was a couple weeks ago, at this point. Did they still have that BMC sitting in the middle? Such a beautiful bike
>>
>>898405

The food was for the a design exhibition so I'm guessing things got moved around. They had tables in the middle so no BMC :(
>>
>>898409
huh, thats a shame. I actually saw a guy riding one around town the other day and i was tempted to yell out "nice bike!" as we passed but he seemed really focused and i didnt want to sound like an autist
>>
>>898412
You in 402?
>>
>>898404
No other shots. I could take some I suppose, but it's definitely not a show bike. Not much to see. Straight tubes, beautifully anodized main tubes. The red has a bit of a candy sparkle to it, under a generous layer of clear coat.

It's nice as a show piece or a wall hanger, but if you want a bike you can pound out the hills in or rock the cobblestones, find something else.
>>
File: Collectible Bike.jpg (28 KB, 508x328) Image search: [Google]
Collectible Bike.jpg
28 KB, 508x328
Did they have any collectible bikes there? I'm interested in bikes that are increasing in value.
>pic related: first mass produced full suspension bike.
>>
>>898420
>introducing /n/ maymays in one of the better threads
>>
>>898415
402/712, yeah
>>
File: 1114151926b.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1114151926b.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>898390
Holy shit, my first and only road bike and it's sister is hanging somewhere at an exhibit. Before anyone asks it does rattle, but it's what I'm used to so it feels fine.
>>
>>898385
Damn this gets me hard.
>>
>>898478
Same. It was my favorite out of all the bikes they had there.
>>
File: 81dheWE1nkL._SL1500_[1].jpg (221 KB, 1500x1146) Image search: [Google]
81dheWE1nkL._SL1500_[1].jpg
221 KB, 1500x1146
>>898465
>>898396
>rattle
can someone explain please?
>>
>>898528
pretty sure refers to how stiff the frame is due to alu tubes bonded to the lugs. frame does not absorb any vibration and is all transferred to the rider.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.