[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
picking a bike with a 'Cheaper' Groupset what should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: CBPXRT58ALUAPEX_P1.jpg (62 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
CBPXRT58ALUAPEX_P1.jpg
62 KB, 600x400
picking a bike with a 'Cheaper' Groupset

what should i expect?

I wanted 105/Ultegra but i might have to settle with Tiagra because of my price point

Anyone have any experience with this problem let me know

pic unrelated
>>
Tiagra is gud
Claris is bad
New Sora is gud
Old Sora is bad
>>
There's nothing wrong with the newest tiagra. Looks and works just as good as older 105.
>>
I've got Sora front and rear derailleur, with friction St shifters, and they work just as well as I'd expect anything to work. I won't have them on this bike forever, I'm definitely upgrading to 105 or something else before the end of the Summer, but I have had 0 problems with the mechs themselves, they're just as smooth and reliable as I'd expect them to be, and they work pretty well with friction shifters.
Though, my roommate has some meh-tier "Gravity" cx bike with Sora sti levers, and they just feel kinda janky or cheap to me, compared to higher level shimano/sram/campy, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot.
>>
>>976753
>St
Sorry, phone thinks I'm retarded
Meant "dt friction shifters"
>>
I have 2 year old sora on my cheap beater cx bike. I havent had any issues with functionality, even when getting some mud on it.. parts of bushes on the other hand still pose problems but that is to be expected with any groupset.
>>
>>976723

Tiagra 4700 looks sexy as hell. 4600 is okay.
>>
I've got Tiagra 4600 and the shifting is crisp.
Feels great, looks shit.
4700 looks nice tho
>>
>>976753
>sora 3500 feels janky compared to sram
lol
>>
>>976723
>>976747
Works even better in fact, because it fixed the wire pull ratio problem of old Shimano tenspeed groups. The new 4700 pulls as much wire per shift as the 11spd groups.
>>976728
Claris is exactly the same as the 3500 Sora minus one gear, and there's nothing wrong with either of them. The newest new Sora (R3000) I can't comment on and I've never seen it on a real bike. Yet.
Old thumbie clit-shifter Sora is ... different. Like Campagnolo on meth.
>>
>>976723

My understanding is that newer tiagra is about the same as older 105. I'll probably be getting tiagra on my next bike since u can't order the frame with the paint I want separate, and the color I want is only offered with lower end models.

I figure I'll just abuse the shit out of it to justify getting the parts I want later.
>>
>>977078
>My understanding is that newer tiagra is about the same as older 105.
It isn't. It's better in every way except weight.
>>
>>976723
Stop looking at specialized. Also look at setting up a MTN 1x. Novara and trek have way more bikes at more price points to help you spend more money.
>>
After searching my soul over XT vs Deore triple cranks, I've settled on a $25 square taper Truvativ. Because I just can't care anymore. Fuck it
>>
>>978469

>square taper

just don't
>>
>>978483

Square taper is alright, it's that weirdass octalink/isis bullshit you need to watch out for.

That garbage stripped if you spit on the frame.
>>
>>978494

You're thinking of BB30

Octalink is widely regarded as the best BB/crank interface ever made.

ISIS is fine too. Light and stiff.
>>
>>978501
Not that guy, but the first version of Octalink with short splines was very prone to stripping, which is why Octalink v2 was made.
>>
>>978504
>ISIS
>exploding bottom brackets
>>
>>978501

Agreed, BB30 is absolutely the worst, creaky pile of shit. But you're the first person I've ever heard of that considers the octalink system good, let alone the "best interface ever made."
>>
>>978501
>Octalink is widely regarded as the best BB/crank interface ever made
no it's not
>>
>>978504

lol no
V2 and V1 are road and mountain, respectively.

You're confusing a bunch of different things.
I have literally NEVER heard of anyone stripping their splines for ANY type of splined BB. It's basically impossible, which is the whole fucking POINT of a splined interface in the first place.

What you might be thinking of is the fact that some inexperienced people forget to remove the extra washer when removing an Octalink crank bolt. Or you might be thinking of BB30's poor reputation in general.

But nobody strips splines. It's not a thing.
>>
>>978508

Yes, it is.
>>
>>978510
>V2 and V1 are road and mountain, respectively.

*Or it might be the other way around. Can never remember.
>>
>>978519

v1 was mountain, and it suuuuuucked
>>
File: bb30togxp.jpg (110 KB, 900x749) Image search: [Google]
bb30togxp.jpg
110 KB, 900x749
BB30 is trending like fat tires, short stems, wide bars, tapered forks, boost rears,1x and bad music. I just bought a bb30 frame but you can adapt it for like $75 and still be future proof.
>>
>>978523

I also bought a praxis converter for my BB30 frame. So stupid that I had to do that though in the first place. BB30 is garbage.
>>
>>978513
How fucking delusional can you be. Why not just say it is the best ever made. Find me 5 examples of people sharing your opinion.
>>
>>978526

Go ask 5 bike mechanics.
Actual mechanics, not shop monkeys.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (83 KB, 847x777) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
83 KB, 847x777
>>978529
what is your opinion on HII
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.