[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it bad courtesy to listen to music while riding?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7
File: what-are-earbuds-300x285.jpg (13 KB, 300x285) Image search: [Google]
what-are-earbuds-300x285.jpg
13 KB, 300x285
Is it bad courtesy to listen to music while riding?
>>
>people ride without music

How else could you possibly tolerate doing something so utterly mundane?
>>
It's no more a risk than driving with your windows up, or listening to the radio.
Of course, you don't have a cage around you to protect you, but if you're gonna die because you're so into your music, then likely you don't have the situational awareness to be on the road in the first place.

>>968895
>hurr durr, closer to nature, ADD generation, etc
Some times it's nice to listen to the crickets at night, or go on an exploration ride, but I wish these retards understood that it's nice to listen something on a regular commute ride, can even add to the experience.

I would hate riding around suburbia without music.
>>
I think it is dangerous to listen to music with both earbuds in. You cannot hear the cars around you

>>968897
come on, you can still hear car horns through closed windows.
>>
>>968907
>come on, you can still hear car horns through closed windows.
Not if you have the radio playing. I wouldn't mind, but no one bats and eye or offers any legislation as to the sort of stereo systems in cars.

>You cannot hear the cars around you
See the rest of my post, then. If you NEED to hear the cars around you, you don't belong on the road.
Can it help? Yep! Can it hinder? I think so. Been startled before as a youngin' by people who think it's funny to shout at you unexpectedly.

As far as I am concerned, if hearing a car is what's keeping me from being dead or alive, I'm already fucking dead, since it meant I didn't check before I moved over or something.
If it's a car coming at me from behind, I am powerless to stop him, whether I hear my death approaching or not.
>>
File: 7736434.jpg (77 KB, 400x369) Image search: [Google]
7736434.jpg
77 KB, 400x369
>>968909
>if you NEED to see the cars you don't belong on the road
>if you haven't been cultivating your eighth through twelfth senses with Shaolin monks for at least 67 years, you don't belong on the road
>if you NEED legs you don't belong on a bike
literally the only person who should be riding is Baconrider
>>
>>968910
Are you also the sperg from the other thread that asked me if riding blindfolded counted as a skill?
No shit, you need to fucking SEE to ride, don't ramp up the argument to ridiculous comparisons and act as if it's reasonable, please.

Hearing is not an essential sense to biking, elsewise deaf people would be forbidden from driving, and they are not.
If you hold your line, and check before you deviate from the line, what is going to happen?

If anyone, bike or car, is going at a speed where they are able to get up next to you between you doing a shoulder check and actually moving over, hearing won't help you. You're dead/down.

The only time I find it nice to have my headphones off is when I'm going slowly on a MUP and someone might Sanic on by faster than I expect and closer than I expect, because there is even less 'rules of the road' here.
>>
>>968911
no, I'm not any of those other people who called you a fucking moron. because, actually, you're a fucking moron, and the reason you get told you're a fucking moron is because you are a fucking moron.
>>
>>968913
And yet you've yet to refute a single one of my points beyond 'hurrrrrrrr u dumbbbbb'.
As far as senses go, hearing's above smell, but under sight. Tell me how it is not.

Explain to me, in what situation, is hearing going to be the difference between you being dead or alive, and how this outweights being able to see.
>>
>>968917
it won't upset me at all if you want to go play in the traffic while listening to limp bizkit on your coby brand headphones, the more cyclists weave all over the place while head-banging and end up having their spines shattered by cagers, the more cagers might give me some extra space so they don't scratch the paint on their cages

and if you die while being cager fodder to protect the regular folk, nothing of value of lost. a hero's death, I might even say
>>
>>968917

Hearing adds tremendously to situational awareness. This really isn't something that's up for debate or needs autistically specific thought-experiments to prove, dude.

Stop being an intentionally-obtuse asshole about it and just say "I really like listening to stuff and think I get by just fine on sight alone" already, holy fucking shit.
>>
>>968919
>the more cyclists weave all over the place
Oh, so you didn't read a single point of mine, then.

Why post to hear yourself speak?
Again, I ask in what situation, is hearing going to be the difference between you being dead or alive, and how this outweights being able to see.
>>
>>968921
>blah blah blah if you don't flatter my shit-tier brain farts with a point-by-point refutation, it means they're correct
go play in the traffic, I'm not your mother, you don't need my permission
>>
>>968920
That is literally what I've been saying.
>>968907
>>968910
>>968913
>>968919
Here is equating it to absolute danger.
All of your senses add up to something, but I'm not riding naked to make sure I don't ride too close to a volcano, and I'm not smelling to see if I've been behind a bus too long.
Hearing, as far as senses go, is not as high a priority as seeing.

>>968897
> if you're gonna die because you're so into your music, then likely you don't have the situational awareness to be on the road in the first place.
If hearing makes the difference between you being dead or not, then your other senses are not up to snuff, bruh
>>
>>968922
Again, you haven't addressed a single one.
I'm not saying that makes me correct, but you've yet to offer a refutation. You can't simply say I'm wrong and that you're right, dear.
>>
>>968896
>he rides so slowly that cycling is mundane
If you're not on the edge of oxygen debt while climbing or flying down Hills you are doing it wrong.

>>968909
Shut up faggot that is so fucking dumb. When I'm riding through low traffic,rural roads I often ride in the middle until I HEAR someone coming, then I move over. So yes, it is useful to hear them coming from a distance as some drive very fast.
>>
>>968926
Yes, then in that specific case, hearing would help you.
Not everyone rides/lives in rural fuckvilles.
>>
>>968930
No, I live a town and a half away from a nigger infested city.
It's called suburbia.
>>
>>968933
Same but I choose to ride out of suburbia to find steep and windy roads. Riding in suburbia sucks.
>>
>>968926
See, this I don't get. I live in a tiny town. Whether i'm in town or out of town, I cannot hear cars approaching until they're right on me.

With the wind noise from riding at anything above a comically slow speed, there's no hearing a car that's travelling 50-100 km/h (roughly 31-62 mph) when it's behind me.

I'll ride with music when I feel like it. It makes no difference for me. People tend to give me a lot of room. But even if they didnt, you really only need 20cm's space unless it's a large vehicle traveling fast - and only then because of the wind.
>>
File: 131055.jpg (87 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
131055.jpg
87 KB, 640x640
>>968894
I do not use earbuds on city streets.
I do not use both earbuds on outside the city streets.
I do use both earbuds on the bike trails.
Fortunately, there's literally hundreds of miles of trails that I can get on a couple blocks from my house. It's why I bought the house. There's no cars and I can easily go for a 50 miles if I so choose. Last year I did a half a dozen 80 miles and it is definitely more enjoyable with some music. The music is selected in no small part based on desired cadence.
>pic semi related
>>
>>968930
>>968933
>racial slurs in 2016
grow up you white trash NEET scum
>>
>>968969
Bike path not bike trail
Where Im from, you'll get mauled by a bear for not blasting music on bike trails
>>
Having anything blasting 100+ db's in your ears is going to disorient you, weather it's a loud ass car audio system or a ear bud it doesn't matter. It's fine if you're going down a quiet countryside road but its just asking for it if you do it in a busy city.

btw if I see anything in your ears other than a medical device I'm going to blow by you without warning.
>>
>>969008
>I'm a cunt
>>
>>968894
commuter here,
do it all the time, but you must always be alert, and never zone out

>dangerous
vision and knowing where to put yourself so you don't get run over in traffic is most important. I could ride deaf
>>
>>968894
Pardon?
>>
>>968896
Do you not enjoy cycling?
>>
>>968966
You're probably deaf from all that music. I can hear cars coming from a decent distance away. Trucks I can hear from a much greater distance than that.
>>
>>968969
>half a dozen 80 miles
>>
>>968970
>using the current year meme unironically
Racism is becoming hip and popular. Non whites need to get out of the way, we are taking our countries back.
>>
>>968970
>/reddit/
>>
>>968894
No. My commute is 10 km to work, and I always listen to music.
I only cycle on <30 km/h roads and roads with cycle lanes, though. About 40% of my commute is along completely separated bicycle trails.
>>
>>968924
Again, I'm not your mother. If you want to play in the traffic while head banging to edgy music it's your life, and has nothing to do with me
>>
File: reeeeeeeee.jpg (45 KB, 331x451) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeee.jpg
45 KB, 331x451
>>969078
>>
>>968894
It takes brain power to process any kind of stimuli, and the more powerful the stimuli the more it's going to affect your ability to concentrate. I wouldn't use earbuds on roads no sooner than I would use shades at night.
>>
>>968910
>le bacon maymay

pure shitposting at this point
>>
you should not be pluging your ears while riding or in any way impede your spatial awarness - this is also why helmets are bad btw

if you absolutely have to have music while riding maybe do like many old people do around my parts and just have a tiny little battery radio in a net hanging anywhere on the bike (you could probably do that with cheap bluetooth speaker) or look into bone conduction headphones that don't impede your hearing ability
>>
Depends if I have ear buds that I haven't killed yet. And if I do I I only have one in unless I'm descending, because then I'm breaking the speed limit and cars don't catch up. But I normally don't care enough about music enough to bring them
>>
>>968894
yes
>>
>>968894
yes

If you are slow fuck I expect you to hear me ring my bell so I can pass. You music listening cunts usually swerve all over the bike path too because you clearly cant be arsed to pay attention to anything. Also its a great safety benefit to hear cars and general traffic noise.
>>
>>969008
>everyone listens to music at 100db

jesus
>>
I have a bluetooth speaker strapped to my bike so that I can still hear shit, and piss people off when I play obnoxious shit music
>>
>>969123
>this is also why helmets are bad

If your helmet impedes your hearing you're doing something very wrong.
>>
>>969239
I've been thinking about doing this, but I like listening to metal and it seems kinda rude to blast that at pedestrians.
>>
>>969257
you don't have to play it at max, also they'll hear you coming at least
>>
>>969257
Fuck 'em. That's what you get by going into a public space.
How long as you really gonna annoy them for?

When I'm driving and stopped at a light, so long as I'm not stopped in front of someone's personal home where I might annoy them, I don't turn it down or anything.
Someone can fucking live for a minute or two.
>>
>>969256
I don't wear a helmet because I don't live in a nanny state and because helmets are proven to be useless
>>
i need a new helmet. what should i buy
>>
>>969297
a new helmet
>>
>>968894
>Is it bad courtesy to listen to music while riding?
It's unsafe, stupid, and in many places flat-out illegal on public roads.
>>
>>969336
>my opinions are facts!
>>
>>969341

In this case, his "opinions" are indeed facts.
The "fact" that you do not acknowledge that proves beyond all doubt that you are stupid, in my "opinion."

Feel free to post more and further prove the dude's point.
>>
File: fucking japanese.png (295 KB, 580x424) Image search: [Google]
fucking japanese.png
295 KB, 580x424
>music
Distraction
>telephone
Distraction
>Reading
Distraction
>umbrella
Distraction
>drinking or eating
Distraction

Concentrate on fucking riding and stop with the autism faggots. Shit. You're the first to rage when a cager does shit wrong, but noooo fucking cycling is immune and we must be autistic snowflakes. Whatever.
>>
I bike in downtown Toronto, along the streetcar tracks. I listen to audio books and music when I ride/commute. Just don't have it super loud with enough ambient noise that you can listen to horns or cars. Biking is automatic for me now, I ride drunk after a bar/club night, even rode home high.
I always wear a helmet, and have my lights at night.
>>
>>969387
Go to bed dad
>>
I ride with a single earbud. Can still hear most of what's around me but also listen to sweet deep jams for motivation.
>>
>>968894
Not bad courtesy, it's illegal here, and personally I think it's very dangerous. I would nerver ride with music, I prefer hearing the cars when they come.
>>
>>968894
I blast down the mups with both earbuds in blasting eurobeat bombing past all the old people, you can't stop me.

NIGHTS OF FIRE
>>
>>968894
No.
Just be a reasonable human bean and keep the volume low enough to hear traffic noises.
>>
i personally feel like it's easier to pedal faster to metal, i rarely ride without music
>>
>>968894
I used to have a pair of Koss Portapros and if you turn them down just a tad you can still hear everything around you perfectly.
>>
I listen to music frequently.
Usually it's only in my kerbside ear so I can keep the other one free for traffic. I tend not to have earplugs in when I'm riding through a town if it's busy, or when I'm cycling with mates as I'd rather have a chat than listen to music, unless we're doing something consistently hard in intensity.
When I do have both ear plugs in its usually only going up long climbs or when I'm doing ftp testing but it makes me shoulder check a lot more often.
Aftershokz are like ear phones but they sit at the top of your jawbone and don't cover your ears. They conduct the sound through your jawbone into your inner ear, leaving both ears open for other road users. Great in theory, but I found they loose a lot of bass. Could just be me though and having sideburns probably don't help too much.
So to answer your question OP, I think it's bad courtesy to wear them if they distract you sufficiently to not pay proper attention to the road and also in the first hour of a group ride and especially if you've not introduced yourself to said group first!
>>
>>970124
This.

Or ride on a bike trail and you don't have to worry about the MUH SAFETEA faggots whining about it not being safe to do.
>>
Is eveyone here autistic? Not all earphones have complete isolation of sound. Infact, I can hear everything with my apple earphones. Just keep the music at a moderate volume and look at your surroundings often.
>>
>>972613

This. If anything, the headphones cut out a lot of wind noise/interference, making it __easier__ to hear cars behind you, etc.

I ride with two headphones in, with no audio playing through the headphones 50% of the time, and the other 50% I listen to podcasts.
>>
I ride with earphones so cars honking don't startle me. Also because I like listening to music.
>>
>>968894
yes and dasngerous
>>
>>968894
foam cuffs nigga. you hear everything just fine around you
>>
File: 1440789737772.jpg (43 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
1440789737772.jpg
43 KB, 500x388
>>972962
are you so behind the times that your browser/phone still doesn't have spellcheck or are you just too retarded to use it?
>>
>>972613
>Apple earbuds

That's because those earbuds are fucking horrific. And just so you know, literally everyone around you can hear everything coming out of them because of how sound pours out of then
>>
>>973402
I'm not that poster but when I use a phone, my IME is also capable of Japanese but it doesn't have any spell check. It knows dictionary words, but it doesn't care to try and correct you if you accidentally type a wrong letter.

It leads to a lot of typos if I don't proof-read.
>>
>>968909
>Been startled before as a youngin' by people who think it's funny to shout at you unexpectedly.
This.
>>
nah, music is fine
>>
Enjoy getting hit
>>
>>968894
>All these people going into sperg rage about auditory awareness

Just wear one bud in and not too loud, you can still hear cars and general shit happening around you.
>>
>>974644
But then you have to downmix all of your audio. That's a huge hassle.
>>
>>974765

are there really any digital audio players on the market that can't downmix stereo to mono in realtime? is it 1963?
>>
>>974779
If my Sony A846 has such an option, I can't find it.
>>
>>974788
>Sony A846
pretty sure you can from the settings menu
>>
>>974795
The only stereo mixing settings I can see are 'VPT (Surround)' and 'Clear Stereo'. Choosing 'None' for the former plays the audio unaltered.
>>
File: 6w29G2U[1].jpg (113 KB, 642x550) Image search: [Google]
6w29G2U[1].jpg
113 KB, 642x550
Use a Bluetooth speaker. Clip it to your bag or belt loop.
>>
>>968894
I listen to music with earbuds in while riding all the time, although I know I shouldn't. The earbuds don't complete cancel noise so I can still hear passing cars roll by within 25 feet and other noise to some degree, but I accept that wearing them comes with a certain degree of danger and irresponsibility. I've got a helmet on at all times, reflective gear on at night, but the earbuds generate a kind of passive guilt that I'm not exercising 100% safety.
That said, I don't plan on changing my behavior. I think having your head on a swivel and maintaining visual awareness is more important than hearing. But if I do get into a riding accident, the earbuds would definitely be a strike against me. Hasn't happened yet, but I have ran straight into the side of a van turning right at an intersection crosswalk; green man was lit and I bolted forward into the rear passenger side door. Didn't have earbuds in at the time.
>>
>>976156
and annoy everyone around you? no thanks
>>
>>973986
By whom?
If it's someone in front of me, I'm seeing them.
If it's someone coming from the side, I look both ways on every intersection.
If it's someone from behind, there's not much I can do, earbuds or no earbuds.

Enjoy your paranoia.
>>
>>976156
Scum of the Earth right here
>>
>>968894
Do you enjoy not dying?
>>
>>976156
>Sounds worse
>Annoys others
>Carry more junk when riding
Why on Earth would you suggest that?

>>976513
Not as much as I enjoy not dying while listening to music.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.