[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bike gears are making weird noises
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 2012 defy.jpg (124 KB, 972x461) Image search: [Google]
2012 defy.jpg
124 KB, 972x461
I have a defy 1, Shimano Tiagra 12x28, 10-Speed. pic related

Whenever I shift into any rear gear not in the middle, the bike makes an annoying rattling noise. like popcorn almost

Does my derailleur need an adjustment or something? I know about not going into "extreme gears" but I can't even go into a leftmost or rightmost gear without this annoying shit happening.
>>
It's probalby out of alignment due to cable stretch.
Look at the bike from the back and make sure the pulley gear on the derailluer and the selected gear on the cassette are aligned with each other.

If it's aligned with most of the middle gears, but it's skewed on either the top or bottom gear, it's a problem with the limit screw. The limit screw keeps the derailleur from sliding your chain too far out, and there's one for the upper and lower limit. If it's misadjusted, it'll keep you from getting into the upper or lower gears properly.

If it's not, turn the cable adjuster on the derailleur until it's lined up.

If you have any trouble, look up GCN on Youtube, they have a ton of helpful videos on bicycles.
>>
>>975102
>It's probalby out of alignment due to cable stretch.
>Look at the bike from the back and make sure the pulley gear on the derailluer and the selected gear on the cassette are aligned with each other.
>If it's not, turn the cable adjuster on the derailleur until it's lined up.

I fucked up while adding more info, those 3 lines were supposed to be together.
>>
>>975076
You never do any sort of maintenance on your bike do you, and don't even know how I'll bet. Go get a book on bike maintenance and start learning before your bike gets completely ruined.
>>
>>975184
It's a relatively new fucking bike I don't even know why it's having this problem. I kind of want to take it back to the shop I bought it from, I've ridden less than 200 miles on it and it's already having issues
>>
>>975314
It's a common issue. A new bike will usually be tuned, but after some use the cables stretch a bit, bringing them out of alignment. Fixing this is piss easy:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustment
Have fun
>>
>>975316
>the cables stretch
guaranteed replies
>>
>>975316
Well I guess it's time to adjust my rear derailleur

Do I have to adjust the front one if it's not having issues? I can switch front gear fine
>>
>>975321
>Do I have to adjust the front one if it's not having issues? I can switch front gear fine

You'll know after you adjust the rear but likely no.
>>
>>975318
They do though. There's a reason why high-quality cables are pre-stretched.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.