[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self Driving car Timeline
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: th.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
For those who find the self driving car to be a remarkable and interesting piece of technology this timeline is for you, if you have any updated information PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reply with it, this is by latest possible buy:
Google: 2018
Tesla:2018 (do not buy, unless you want to die)
Baidu:2019
GM:2020
Ford:2020
Toyota:2020
Nissan:2020
BMW:2021
Intel:2022
Jaguar:2024
Daimler:2025
Uber(driverless fleet):2030
>>
>>975546
Fuck so-called 'driverless cars/autonomous cars', I LIKE driving myself. I wouldn't get into one if you PAID me. Also I think they're garbage and will be for decades to come because we can't even figure out how a human brain does what it does, therefore we can't build anything that works the same, therefore you'll NEVER build any fucking 'driverless car' that can drive even as well as a human being UNDER ALL CONDITIONS AND CIRCUMSTANCES, so fuck that shit I WANT TO LIVE, I'll keep driving myself.

Also, >>>/o/
>>
>>975549
Calm down there anon, world doesn't revolve around you
>>
>>975549
Oh, it's THIS guy AGAIN.
>>
>>975546
I don't necessarily think I would buy one, but given how bad people drive, once these hit the road it will be better when I'm on my bicycle or motorcycle, as enough drivers seem to act as if they can't see them. But these autonomous vehicles would be much better than that. Probably something like 2% of drivers are that inattentive, if not more like 10% at any given time, autonomous vehicles would know that a motorcycle or bicycle is there if it uses the sensors that Google uses. Tesla sounds like it only uses cameras so I'm not as convinced on that one.
>>
>>975574

they will certainly kill a large number of cyclists
>>
File: Detroit-Parking-Crater.png (2 MB, 1272x749) Image search: [Google]
Detroit-Parking-Crater.png
2 MB, 1272x749
OPs predicted timeline seems extremely optimistic - even if the technology is ready by then, self-driving cars are going to face a lot of opposition from people who think like >>975549
and don't recognize just how poorly human beings are suited to the demands of piloting a car at speed. Driving is dangerous, but it feels safe because we deliberately design roads that diminish the perception of speed and risk, and we've kept the number of fatalities down by effectively banning all forms of transport that aren't cars in many places.

>>975574
>>975577
I agree with the first anon - the introduction of self-driving cars isn't going to magically eliminate deaths caused by automobiles, but in theory self-driving cars will be much less dangerous than human-piloted cars.

Imagine a worst case scenario where self-driving cars in motion are equally likely to speed and cause crashes as human pilots - the self-driving cars would still be preferable, because in at a bare minimum they'll be more likely to respect stop signs and stop lights than the average human.
>>
>>975577
I live in Mountain View; Google's little self-driving pods are everywhere. They seem to be VERY good at detecting cyclists - I feel way safer zipping around near them on my bike than I do around the cars driving by people yaking on their cell phones
>>
>>975577
The question is whether that number is less than the large number of cyclists that humans driving cars currently kill. It seems that it will be smaller.
>>
>>975549
WHY do you TYPE LIKE this? Do YOU HAVE BRAIN problems or something, OR ARE you JUST fresh from reddit?
>>
>>975614
Are those separate conditions?
>>
>Tesla:2018 (do not buy, unless you want to die)

lol, faggot
>>
2050 for a car legally on the market in the US that will actually drive itself in all conditions with no human input

They are nowhere close to reality, certainly not 2 years out
>>
File: Car_crash_2.jpg (114 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Car_crash_2.jpg
114 KB, 800x600
it seems even these Tesla cars are already safer then old fashioned unassisted driving. I guess in a few years insurance will go up for people who drive their car with no computerized emergency braking system.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.