[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so I'm planning to go with some friends on some downhill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: DB-ATZ-NCL-SIDE.jpg (465 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
DB-ATZ-NCL-SIDE.jpg
465 KB, 1500x1500
Ok so I'm planning to go with some friends on some downhill trails. The trails aren't too crazy or anything from what I've been told. I need to buy a bike though. Haven't rode one in quite a while. Never done any downhill trail stuff, just normal kid stuff. Riding long distances and cruising through town.

So I'm completely new to this. My friend told me to get a used freeride bike. What should I be looking out for? Keep in mind I also want to do some distance stuff. A freeride bike would be fine for that too right? I mean it's not made for it but it'll work right?

Also all helmets are pretty much the same right? I'm not gonna need anything weird? Gonna hopefully be doing the downhill stuff semi often. Don't wanna die like a retard.
>>
File: Patrol 4.jpg (442 KB, 2000x1152) Image search: [Google]
Patrol 4.jpg
442 KB, 2000x1152
>>973103
you're talking about discipline-specific equipment for several different disciplines.

the best bike for shit you want to do seems like a long-travel AM bike with lots of slack. general consensus for 2016 is that the transition patrol is THE 1-bike-quiver bike if you live in an area with a lot of DH or are planning on traveling to DH bike parks. they start pretty cheap considering the sport you're trying to get into (3k for the low-end spec). i'm personally riding a transition scout, which is a shorter travel rig with about 2-degrees less slack on the head tube.
>>
>>973105
Well it's not exactly multi discipline. I just want to do some distance stuff for exercise. I don't need to do so efficiently.

I also don't have an assload of money to spend. Also this whole thing is meant for fun, not sport. One of my friends competes but she's not extremely knowledgeable on anything but straight up downhill racing. If it helps the trail we'd be riding would be the Post Canyon trail in Oregon. It's not crazy.
>>
Also I'm 6 feet tall, what kind of size should I be looking for?
>>
Why doesn't this board have a sticky for complete beginners? Something like what /fit/ has.
>>
>>973106
if that's the case i'd pick up a used 29er hardtail with a decent fork. nothing less than a Reba for sure.
>>
File: scale4sale.jpg (294 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
scale4sale.jpg
294 KB, 1024x768
>>973106
>If it helps the trail we'd be riding would be the Post Canyon trail in Oregon. It's not crazy.
>Post Canyon trail in Oregon. It's not crazy.
>Post Canyon trail
>Never done any downhill trail stuff, just normal kid stuff.
you're going to get fucked up.

here's a list of dh/fr bikes in oregon under a grand
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?location=194-50-*&category=1&price=..1000&framesize=23,27,34,35,36,30,31,47&wheelsize=8
some of these look decent. that transition might be ok if not for the slightly damaged wheels. kona might be worth a look in person.

here's some hardtails if you're looking to go fast on single track.
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?location=194-50-*&category=2&price=..1000&framesize=23,27,34,35,36,30,31,47

actually probably just buy this one right now.
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1844186/

homeboy might even deliver it. not too shabs for 800 bux, broletariat.
>>
slack hardtail something with a head angle in the 67-68 range. You will get a lot more bang for you buck if you don't have to pay for a rear suspension. Unless you are doing really rocky rooty downhill trails you will be fine without a rear suspension. You really need that slack head angle though for going down steep shit with any confidence. Diamondback has their hook, line, and sync'r line that start off pretty cheap that would fit my recommendation.
>>
You're going to want to put $500+ minimum into kit regardless of what bike you get.

Helmet with proper back protection and prob full face.
Knee pads.
Full gloves.
Torso/Rib/Spine armor.

Nice to haves:

Chamois shorts, perhaps with thigh and ass padding too.
Seat replacement.
>>
>>973138
10/10 my man
>>
>>973140
He did say downhill/freeride...

If you're just settling on XC/Trail you can just get helmet, knees, chamois.
>>
>>973103

Just get a Surly Krampus.
>>
>>973103
get a kona stinky off pinkbike easymode
huck some gnar drops brah! rad
>>
>>973103
Look up first how many people died or broke their spine on that trail. A friend of mine was also an amateur and he went with some pros on a downhill track. He spend 6 months in the hospital afterwards.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.