[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/n/, help me decide on tires for next season. I had Panaracer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: conti-gator-hardshell-cut.jpg (76 KB, 891x477) Image search: [Google]
conti-gator-hardshell-cut.jpg
76 KB, 891x477
/n/, help me decide on tires for next season.

I had Panaracer GravelKings in 700x28c this last season. They were pretty good. I felt like they only lasted the one season and I flatted probably 6 times between March and September riding ~150km/week.

I plan to switch to 25c next season.

I'm looking at the following tires (price is for a pair):

Panaracer GravelKing (126TPI, 240g) - $92.66
Schwalbe One (127TPI, 225g) - $85.80
Continental GP4000S II (330TPI, 225g) - $104.54
Continental Gator Hardshell (180TPI, 270g) - $102.96

I'm actually leaning towards the Gator Hardshell as I think they'll have the best puncture protection and weigh the same as the 28c GravelKings I had previously. I don't really do any racing but even if I did I doubt a difference of <50g/tire would make much of a difference to me.

Thoughts?
>>
4000s II is infinitely superior to that other trash. It's basically the GOAT tire. This stupid question really didn't need its own thread.
>>
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews

Gatorskins are not very well regarded.

If you want something reasonably puncture resistant get 4 seasons or Michelin Pro 4 Endurance v2.
>>
Are you looking for a pavement tire or a gravel tire? Also, how much do you weigh? There are other options out there depending on your answers...

1. GP4000s are a fabulous road tire, will deal with gravel tolerably well if you're a lightweight rider, good flat resistance.
2. Gatorskins have excellent flat resistance and roll well, but not as fast as the GP4000 - if you're a heavy rider. But if you're a lightweight rider, you'll likely find them slow and unpleasantly firm on gravel because the sidewalls are very stiff.
3. I'm not familiar with those Schwalbes, but reading the reviews and what's available online, it looks like the tubed version is nothing special, the real attraction there is the tubeless version, which rolls almost as well as a GP4000 but has a the puncture resistance benefits of a tubeless setup - I guess the question here is whether or not you have a tubeless-compatible rim or not?
>>
>>894804
A pavement tire that won't be totally dogshit on the very occasional foray onto gravel (seriously almost never). I weigh ~165lbs. I don't have tubeless-compatible wheels. Sounds like the GP4000s are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!
>>
File: sp_1411_clip07.jpg (48 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
sp_1411_clip07.jpg
48 KB, 480x360
>>894800
I suppose I could have put this in BQG. I'm sorry.
>>
>>894800
Shut the fuck up foamer
>>894794
Get the Gators, unless you get a kick out of fixing flats all the time, or you only ride indoors
>>
>>894794
The Gp4000s is outstanding. The biggest difference for me is cornering. Maybe it's just psychological but I feel like I can take corners faster (Well, compared to the rubino slicks I had before).
>>
>TYRE QUESTIONS GENERAL

Is there any reason why I can't use an inner tube sized 18-23 in a 25 mm tyre?

I'd imagine that the rubber might be stretched thin and be and more prone to punctures but is it likely to blow out or anything?
>>
>>895327
It shouldn't be a problem. Used a 20-25 in a 32 tyre for a while without too many problems.
>>
>>895220
Do people just not inflate their tires properly and get pinch flats because of that or why do they get so many flats? I've literally never had problems with flats no matter what tires I've been using. And that is when riding 15-25 km daily.
>>
>>895336
I've had 6 or 7 flats this year. One of those was a pinch flat, on a really shitty trail my bike really had no business being on.

As for the rest:
Small metal hook
Large piece of metal that shredded the sidewall
Small piece of glass
Mystery cut in the middle of the tread
Small rock
And it's not really a puncture but a patched tube formed an air bubble where it must have pushed through the previous hole in the tyre (?) probably should have booted it.
>>
>>894794
Got some michelins that are basically the same as gators, but don't crack after two weeks and cost $38 per tire...

Don't overpay for puncture resistance, they're practically all the same except for vittoria (which is trash)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.