[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on SRAMpagnolo, /n/. I'm thinking of buying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: nidemær bission :oooo.jpg (40 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
nidemær bission :oooo.jpg
40 KB, 722x349
Redpill me on SRAMpagnolo, /n/.

I'm thinking of buying an 80–90s road bike frame and kitting it up with modern components as a summer project.

I'm thinking Campagnolo components for the more classic look and to make a change from my low-end Shimano bike (I'm not totally set on this, but they have to be silver). I seem to remember reading that almost all prebuilt wheels come with Shimano/SRAM-compatible hubs and won't work with a Campag cassette. Is that true? And if so, can I put another brand of cassette on and have everything else Campag? I understand SRAM components play better for this?

The bike will most likely be 10 speed (as in 2×1).
>>
>>967912
Fug—I meant 2×10.
>>
>>967912
Are you talking about vintage Campy parts, as in friction downtube shifters, or modern Campy shifters? If the former, friction shifters don't care what cassette/hub you have, they'll work fine with any 10sp cassette (but be finicky, because the distance between cogs on a 10sp cassette is very, very small.

If it's the latter, there are three options to mix Campy indexing with Shimano/SRAM hubs (actually lots of wheels are available with Campy freehubs as an option) - you can run a Shimano derailer plus a Jtek Shiftmate, you can get a special cassette that has Campy-spaced cogs but has Shimano/Sram splines (Wheels Manufacturing makes one), or you can use one of the odd 'Shimergo' combinations that makes use of mismatched parts of different eras:
http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo
>>
The cassette body is different for campy groups so you can't just switch over to shimano with out at the very least rebuilding your rear wheel hub, beyond that I'm not sure.
I do prefer the way Campy shifts in terms of the 2 levers.
I've also been told that Campy does some pre-stretching of their chains as part of the manufacturing that shimano doesn't?

So, it's not that campy is bad or anything but market share really brings a lot of nice value to the table and that's where shimano shines. Shimano also happens to be very good too.

Currently I have campy veloce on my bike. My next bike will be 105.
>>
>>967918
>downtube
LOL
>>
Campagnolo Khamsin wheels are probably best bang for buck in prebuilt:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/campagnolo-pr-whls-khamsin-cx-clinchers-campagnolo/
>>
>>968015
>you can't just switch over to shimano with out at the very least rebuilding your rear wheel hub
Freehub body slides on, freehub body slides off. It is a very simple process on many hubs.
>>
>>968027
>having to deal with campagnolo freehub bullshit
>>
File: gondola_by_rockset.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gondola_by_rockset.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>967918
>>968015
I'm talking modern drivetrain. My thinking was an all-Campag set-up except for the cassette to keep my wheel options more open.

>>968027
Have you ridden them yourself? How are they? I was looking to spend around £150 for the wheels (max £200) but if those are good then I might get them. One important question: How easy is it to get tyres on/off? With my current bike with its cheap no-brand wheels I can change the tyres without even needing leavers at all and I'd like to keep that luxury.
>>
>>967912
Don't bother with SRAMSHIT or campy
There's a reason Shimano is market leader
>>
File: are you not entercraned.jpg (66 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
are you not entercraned.jpg
66 KB, 500x386
>>968324

Talks trash about Shimano in one post
Talks trash about Sram & Campagnolo in the next

My sides!
>>
>>968426
You know 'sieg' is pretty much a small cadre of trolls and shitposters at this time.
>>
>>968313
There are plenty of wheels with campy freehub. However if you want to get cheaper wheels then you might have problems finding ones with campy freehub unless you build your own wheels.

I have a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro LGs to which I've changed a campy freehub. I'm pretty sure you can get then with campy freehub since they're practically Campagnolo wheels anyway. Quality wheelset for the price, never had any problems with them. I could get my used GP4000S2s on and off the rims without levers. However I did need levers to install new gatorskins. Obviously as it's not the exactly same wheelset it might not be the same case.
>>
File: giro.webm (2 MB, 889x500) Image search: [Google]
giro.webm
2 MB, 889x500
>>967912
/thread
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.