[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any links to good basic maintenance guides for bicycles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 50348141_p0.jpg (301 KB, 726x1024) Image search: [Google]
50348141_p0.jpg
301 KB, 726x1024
Are there any links to good basic maintenance guides for bicycles? Never touched a bike in my life outside riding.
>>
>>957572
>Never touched a bike in my life outside riding.
stay in the cage, friendo.
>>
>>957572
It's really easy senpai.
Just google, and I find these channels/websites to be especially useful:

Lots of to the point info:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

GMBN is, I think, more reliable than GCN on the tech/maintenance side of things:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_A--fhX5gea0i4UtpD99Gg

Seth's Bike Hacks is an amazing channel, right to the point, lots of useful information put in an easy no bullshit way:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8YylsPiu9XfaQC74Hr_Gw

And remember that bikes are easy. The only harder parts to understand are the wheels, but it's not rocket science. You should be able to keep any bike fully working with just some allen keys, screwdrivers, degreasers, the occasional greasing, and a dry teflon lube for your chain.
>>
>>957596
Thanks a bunch, I did google, but the results I got told me different things so I wasn't sure what was actually meaningful, so I thought I'd actually ask.
>>
>>957598
Well the issue is that it's hard to break stuff so people will swear by all different things as long as their bikes don't explode.

Stuff that is often underestimated is how high pressure water can fuck up bearings, so that's one thing you need to be mindful of (easy: don't shoot water into the bearings, go low pressure, like a bare hose).
And don't shift under load (don't press hard on the pedal when shifting, it's like hitting the gas when you're in neutral and switching to a gear with the engine banging off the limiter - bad). Or REALLY do change your chain when it hits the 1% stretch mark, it's no joke. Don't over-oil your bike, clean off oil excess, DON'T LUBE A DIRTY CHAIN!!! (it will just create an abrasive paste instead of lubing, making it 110% worse)

Other things... WD-40 won't hurt your bike no matter what people say, but it's a light degreaser with some lubricant, so it's good to clean off grime, horrible to lubricate. And clean it off before applying lube, but this applies to any degreaser.
>>
>>957599
Sweet, time to go buy some supplies. Thanks again for the pointers
>>
Park Tool's Blue book
>>
I wish James May would record a bike maintenance and repair tips video.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.