[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Times you have encountered downtubes in real life >be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: facepalm.jpg (25 KB, 450x305) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
25 KB, 450x305
ITT: Times you have encountered downtubes in real life
>be me
>just riding along
>see this guy sitting along the trail with his bike flipped upside down and rear wheel off
>ask if he's alright
>he says he got a flat and is trying to fix it
>he took the tire off
>took the tube out
>put the tire back on, both beads on the rim, without a tube in
>filled up his spare tube without putting it in the tire
>is now trying to figure out how to insert this fully inflated tube into this tire that's seated on the rim
>I try to explain what he did wrong
>he just gets upset and tries to force it in
>bursts the tube
>bursts into tears because it was his only spare tube
What an absolute fucking downtube, that guy.

Post your stories of encountering downtubes irl.
>>
pls stop your downtubing
>>
>>952764

> come across a fixie bro
> 30 minutes outside of the city
> He has a flat.
>I was on my 700x35c adventure bike
> had full panniers of food,
> 3 spare tubes,
> frame pump,
> snacks,
> medical kit,
> iPad,
> artisianal cheeses,
> and various gold and silver trinkets
> I stop to consider drinking his tears
> "Got a flat, bro?"
> Yeah man I just got this bike and like
> he's real upset
> "You got any spare tubes man, like, I can pay you back?"
> No, sorry, these just won't fit your 25c tires!
> "Oh.. u-uh... I'ts okay I can walk.. "
> Haha, that's the spirit my friend! Off you go!

Truly a magical cycling moment

Later I googled the issue and realized the tubes would have probably worked!

Totally 'tubed that one guys! haha!
>>
>>952792
>> artisianal cheeses,
>2016
>still eating dairy
Enjoy your health issues in your later years, anon!
>>
I think we've all had that moment when we were riding a 90's rigid MTB with slicks and easily overtook a group of racing freds on road bikes.

Man. Those road cyclists.
>>
File: amerifat.jpg (62 KB, 552x419) Image search: [Google]
amerifat.jpg
62 KB, 552x419
>>952804
This.
>>
>>952792
..listen, buddy, I don't know who you are or what kind of cycling you do. Me, I'm a road cyclist on a local team. I train 6 days a week, and in a normal week the 7th day is in the gym doing core strengthening. Yesterday I did 30 minutes continuous at Threshold, a new PR for me. Looking at doing a TT this year, for the first time since I got hurt a few years back, and I think I can win one, or at least place in the top 5. Not bragging, just establishing who I am and what I'm about. Long rides at Threshold are no picnic.

There are two kinds of cyclists: Competitors, and everyone else. I don't care what kind of bike we're talking about, or what terrain you ride on, or how many days or how many miles a week, everyone falls into one of those two categories. The riders who are not competitors? They'll back off if it's starting to get uncomfortable. Why? Because they have *no reason* to push themselves that hard. In terms of training zones, if they push past Endurance and into Tempo or beyond, they won't stay there for more than a very short amount of time before backing off, because it's *uncomfortable* for them, and they don't feel the need to go that fast.

Competitors? They aren't pushing themselves to the point of it being abject suffering for no good reason, they know that on the other side of that suffering, there are *gains*. They know that as the mesocycles go by, they'll be able to go a little faster and a little longer because of that suffering, and they know that from those gains, comes getting that much closer to winning races, or that town-line sprint, or being first to the top of that big climb on the weekly fast group ride, or whatever it is that, for them, translates into 'competition'. Usually it's about some race or another, but it can even mean being the first to the top of that one big climb on the weekly group ride, or just beating your own PR on a set course you ride alone every week. There's a challenge, and they feel the need to meet it.
>>
>>952792
beautiful story thank u
>>
File: fred.jpg (155 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
fred.jpg
155 KB, 612x612
>be me
>be femanon
>riding my rigid 90s steel mountain bike
>dressed casually, no cycling specific clothes (unless a helmet counts)
>on a paved bike path
>enjoying the nice spring weather
>begin to come up on someone from behind
>a fat guy
>wearing full cycling kit
>including Air Attack helmet
>on an S-Works road bike
>he hears me approaching and looks back
>he quickly looks forward and starts pedaling as hard as he can
>I'm keeping pace with him without even trying
>he keeps looking back at me
>literally every 5 seconds he looks back
>looks visibly distressed, as if afraid that he is going to be passed by a girl on a mountain bike
>he keeps looking back every 5 seconds or so and this goes on for several minutes
>we get to a climb
>he slows down to an excruciatingly slow pace so I pass him immediately
>when I get to the top of the hill I look back out of curiosity, he is only a third of the way up at best
>a few minutes later, stop at one of my favorite rest stops, a nice park overlooking a lake
>about ten minutes later, fat guy passes by
>stares at me as he passes
>a few minutes later, get back on my bike and resume my ride
>not long before I've caught up to fatty again
>he looks back and sees me
>he immediately stops, gets off his bike, turns it upside down, and starts spinning the wheel as if inspecting it
>clearly pretending to have mechanical issues to justify stopping, when really he just doesn't want to be passed by a girl on a mountain bike
>ask him if he is okay or needs help with his bike
>"yes I'm fine thanx. just having a bit of a rest"
Pic related, looks almost exactly like him.
>>
>>954499
This kid in my club is pretty much that
Mercury tubs and just bought a caad 12
Ha already has a caad 10 and supersix

Never rides and when new people join he's nice up until they're faster than him
>>
File: jjjlol.jpg (28 KB, 801x534) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol.jpg
28 KB, 801x534
>>954507
>when new people join he's nice up until they're faster than him
>>
>>954499
>>be femanon
be mine double dubs queen
>>
>>954516
o-okay
>>
>>952808
>ride a refreshing morning 50 km on my 100$ city bike
>wind is fierce, nearly get knocked off twice
>pass an old granny who can't even stand on her bike anymore, she is pushing it along
>stop for water, consider going back
>aero helmet lycra wearing guy on a 2000$ cannondale passes me and eyes me down
>"OK"
>go on his tail
>he's constantly turning around and giving me "a look"
>keep with him for about 10km then stop for some testicle stretching

muh grams
>>
>>954499
>>952808
>>954739
>be me
>ride at 80 watts to/from bunch rides
>constantly get passed by people on hybrids and shit

The thing that happened yesterday, had done intervals + 25mile cruise in the morning and then another 3 hrs including a quick bunch ride, so I was going like 13mph down the trail to spin the "laygs" out before I got home. Some slightly chubby guy on a hybrid passed me at like 16mph while staring at me.. In about 1 mile I saw him turn around, as he passed me I waved at him and he just made a face like he was disgusted at me and kept going. This actually happens at least 2-3 times a week lol, I feel like that guy is what you guys are like...
>>
Why are cyclists worse than drivers when it comes to overtaking? I have a carbon fiber road bike with 23 tyres. I can overtake anyone effortlessly. Sometimes I slow down and follow people because I don't want to start some petty race shit.
>>
>>954786
Maybe you should chuck 21 of those tyres to gain moar speed even
>>
>>954789
Haha
23c*
>>
>>954786
>I slow down and follow people because I don't want to start some petty race shit.
hey bro, no offense but it sounds like you just aren't fast enough for people to not try to race you...
>>
>>954793
I cycle at a leisurely pace. When people see the bicycle they want to prove that their shitty mountain bike is better.
>>
File: 1462037244192.jpg (58 KB, 460x331) Image search: [Google]
1462037244192.jpg
58 KB, 460x331
>>954499
>>
>>954786
>I can overtake anyone effortlessly

Where do you live? Wisconsin?
>>
>>954792
Those better be gp4000s Or you're losing watts
>>
>>954928
>not having Michelin Power tyres
>>
>>954499
you sound like a bitch
fat guy trying to get in shape and be healthier and you look down on him and gloat about your own fitness
>>
>>954976
I don't think you read the same story i did.
>>
>>952764
>meet up with a girl for "date" off OKC
>really just a hookup, job listed as athletic assistant, mentions gym and hiking...so assumed personal trainer
> meet up at her "work" since she said she doesnt live out here and doesnt have a car or place..a lot of chicks claim personal trainer in SoCal when they don't have a job, so I just assume she's homeless....get to meetup spot and it's a semi truck with a trailer hooked up to it.
>thinking she fucked a trucker and wants a round 2...oh well I'm here anyways.
>text I'm here and stand around awkwardly around front of truck
>oh cone in I'm in the back I'm about to get off work in 20 mins can you hangout inside for a bit..
>door opens to big ass trailer that looks like an enclosed car transport (I assumed it was just someone shipping a classic car in a black trailer with graphics to who knows what)
>walk in and notice thousands of dollars in tools, pretty decent lighting. With a fuck ton of cervelo bikes bolted to the side on the inside lined up with 2-3 dudes chatting around and one of them was doing some shit to a casette
>all awkwardly stop talking and stare at me.....3 guys starring at me in a truck some random chick dragged me into...

Sex was pretty lack luster, typical 23 year old chick with teal/purple hair

And just a collective job. Said she had a road bike as well but hers was some shitty trek they gave her for free according to her
>>
>>954789
>chuck 21 of those tyres

kek'd hard
>>
>>954980
Nice blogpost faggot
>>
>>954795
>I cycle at a leisurely pace. When people see the bicycle they want to prove that their shitty mountain bike is better.

So basically, you're a Fred who bought an expensive bike to pedal down the street?
>>
>>954795
why'd you buy a carbon road bike to go slow
>>
>>955145
Because he's a downtuber.
>>
>>952792

downtube level of having a spare tube and pump and not realizing a 35mm tube can be squeezed into a 25mm tyre > downtube level of not having a spare tube
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.