[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this IDM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: CS1320322-02A-BIG.jpg (322 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
CS1320322-02A-BIG.jpg
322 KB, 1000x1000
is this IDM?
>>
idm isn't really a genre, it was just a mailing list's name
and frequencies preceded the idm list idm but it was discussed there later, very popular album, was held in high regard

it started being used as a genre name in 95/6 by americans mostly
but the mailing list was just for discussing good dance+related/electronic music, you would have people posting about carl crag and derrick may, it wasn't elitist in any sense, although it was highly critical of bad shit
i think everyone had good intentions, they weren't about 'trying to make a genre'
later on, when people started to actually describe their music using that phrase it just became as naff as the phrase was
>>
>>64750578
>it wasn't elitist in any sense, although it was highly critical of bad shit
that's exactly what musical elitism means though
>>
>>64750624
well, yeah
but it was the same thing you get on watmm, people all had their own ideas about what was good or shit, and all being that bit younger they were a lot more feisty
nothing wrong with some good musical discussion if that's what you're into
>>
>>64750674
what do you mean mailing list btw? you're talking about the artists sending each other emails?
>>
>>64750698
yeah it was literally an email list, so you would just send an email to [email protected] and everyone subscribed would get it
>>
>>64750309
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/rym_ultimate_box_set__bleep_techno/
>>
>>64750820
is this on a torrent or something? Not looking forward to trying to collate these singles
>>
>>64750698
oh btw i don't know how many artists posted there, i imagine less than post to watmm but there are just so many artists now, everyone is an artist

most of the prolific idm posters weren't artists, but you never know who anyone is on the internet
>>
prototrance
>>
many ppl consider it part of first-wave idm, but that was literally just techno and breakbeat hardcore. then again, most of "idm" is just that - it's not really a legitimate genre, more of an umbrella term or scene. most "idm" is just techno or drum n bass/breaks.

it's pretty much a variant of club music that can't really be played at the club.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.